MLB 09: The Show - March 3, 2009 - Demo Out Now!

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
3178694699_bbe55b78fe_m.jpg

Features Info:
Road to the Show 3.0
Now includes interactive training, new settings, a new steal/ lead-off system, presentations and coach interactions. Interactive training will consist of a set of mini-games designed to improve a player’s ability and performance in various areas of baseball.

Franchise Mode 2.0
Improvements include the long awaited 40-man roster! The latest Franchise Mode improvements will also offer Salary Arbitration, Waiver Transactions and September call-ups.

Online Season Leagues
Along with improvements to the traditional Online Leagues, MLB 09 will offer major additions to Online Season Leagues! New Online Season Leagues will allow you to hold a fully functional draft and utilize a Flex Schedule, allowing players to play games ahead in the schedule.

Training/Practice Drills
In MLB 09 users will have the ability to choose from a number of different Training/Practice drills. The drills will be of various concentrations of the game. These drills are a perfect way to polish and improve your baseball skills in The Show!

Details & Subtleties
Details and subtleties play a huge role in legitimizing a game and helping you lose yourself in the suspension of disbelief. MLB 09 The Show sinks it’s teeth into the details with realistic stadiums and signage, wear and tear on field, dusk to night lighting transitions, stadium Jumbotron animations and even crowd atmosphere – reaching up for foul balls out of play and home runs in addition to crowd rivalries and weather appropriate clothing.

Custom Music, Fan Yells and Chants
Using our My MLB Music feature, store all of your favorite music for play on MLB 09 The Show. Once you have your music on your PS3 hard drive, edit any of your tracks and assign a batter walk-up to all of your favorite players. Along with Custom Music, MLB 09 will also offer Custom Fan Yells and Chants. Record a yell, with your own voice, and assign it to play for the player and situation of your choice.

Other Key Features

Replays to Hard Drive via Replay Vault
If you’ve ever played MLB The Show you’ve seen some spectacular fielding and dramatic hitting. New to MLB 09 is the ability to store any of these replays to your PS3 hard drive as its own movie file. Enjoy the ability to playback any of your movies at your leisure.

Mascots
MLB 09 The Show will offer all your favorite team mascots. Mascots will appear a few times a game and may perform “signature moves” at certain points of the game as they attempt to pump up the crowd and in turn rally the team. The inclusion of mascots will add to the realism and help fans truly connect with their team.

End of Game Replays
The premise behind this idea is to give the user an instant post game visual replay of the most exciting and important plays of the game. This will offer the user a reminder of the depth and quality of our game and leave them with a taste of excitement that will encourage game after game.

Roster Vault (upload/download/rate)
This gives users the ability to create their perfect roster offline by adjusting player attributes, appearance, accessories, etc... Users can then save this Roster to their PS3 Hard Drive. Once online users can upload them from where they are stored to allow others users online to download, use and rate their Roster. The new Roster Vault feature lets the The Show community share and judge any Roster.

Build Your Own Customized Soundtrack With My MLB Music
Ever wanted to create your own video game soundtrack? Now you can. With MLB 09 The Show you can to take music you have on your system, import it from the XMB and add to the list of music played in the jukebox.

Never Miss A Single Play Again With In-Game Saves
Ever needed to save your progress in the middle of the game or an inning? This season, instead of losing your progress, you’ll be able to save their Career, Franchise or Season at any point in the middle of the game. If the pressure is getting to you, walk away in the bottom of the 9th and pick it up later to see how clutch you really are.

Review Your Own Personal Highlight Reel From The Replay Vault
If you’ve ever played MLB The Show you’ve seen some spectacular fielding and dramatic hitting. With the new Replay Vault, you can now go back to that spectacular diving, behind the back double play in the 1st inning and show your friends. Replay any part of the game from any inning within that game.

Pitch Grips / Ball Rotation Detail
MLB 09 The Show details the different pitch grips and arm angles that a pitcher has when throwing each pitch. You’ll be able to draw distinction between 17 different pitch types (4 Fastball variations: four-seam, two-seam, cutter, and split; 6 Breaking Pitches: 10-4 curve, 12-6 curve, slider, sinker, slurve, and screwball; 4 Change-Ups: straight, circle, palm and fork; And 3 Specialty Pitches: Knuckle, Knuckle-Curve and Gyro)!

Catcher Called Games
Ever heard that good pitching beats good hitting? The Show pushes the envelope for realism by incorporating catchers calling pitches. You’ll really know what it feels like to stand on the mound and nod or shake a pitch from the catcher. It’s up to you – just don’t make a mistake pitch. The catcher’s setup also acts as a guide to your decisions on where to locate a pitch. Are you a Cy Young or a Robin Roberts?

SportsConnect Live GameCast
Using SportsConnect technology, users can view the status of any game in progress in The Show. New for MLB 09, along with a 2D user interface representation, users can hear the play-by-play and color commentary of the announcers.

Make Educated Decisions With The Improved In-Game Pitcher and Batter Analysis
Stats and match-up analysis are a baseball fan’s dream! The Pitch Analysis is a breakdown of all the pitches thrown during the current game being played. You’ll be able sort by pitcher, LHB or RHB, pitch type and result. This is also available for Batters. The batter analysis allows for a breakdown of how each batter has performed based on LHP or RHP, pitch type and the result. The pitcher and batter analysis is available for both in-game and post-game. The analysis will appear in the batter / pitcher status screen and the post game pause menu. This information is available for every game played, as well as your Road to the Show career.

Track Batters Throughout The Season With New Progressive Batting Performance
Superior performance will earn you rewards and slumps, but will require a little extra effort. Specific to each batter, you’ll be rewarded with slight contact bonuses for each batter who performs beyond his statistical ability under your control. Conversely, if your performance takes a dip, you’ll see slight decreases in contact for each batter that performs below that statistical ability. Performances will be based roughly on each batter’s last 20-30 ABs (w/ recent ABs weighted heavier).

SportsConnect Online User Tracking (SCOUT) Makes Online Matchups Easy
If you’ve ever had a difficult time finding someone online with the same gameplay setting as yours, the SCOUT system is for you. SCOUT allows you to set your game preferences, store them on the server and look for a Quick Match with an opponent that fits your criteria.

Adaptive Pitching Intelligence (API) really puts you on the bump. MLB 09 The Show is the only baseball game to ever give you the choice to trust your catcher or shake him off. With API, catchers will call the game for you based on the strengths and weakness of each pitcher. And beyond that, catchers will also analyze tendencies of the batters to know if a batter is susceptible to chasing a high heater out of the zone or off-speed low and away.

Pitch Command System (PCS) delivers unsurpassed authenticity and strategy to pitch selection in a baseball videogame. A pitcher’s “pitch comfort” will be predetermined based on a best pitch to worst pitch scenario. Now it’s up to you to decide if you should try to “work on a pitch” or just go with what is working. The more you work on one pitch, the better it becomes. Conversely the more you neglect a pitch; the more challenging it becomes to work the zone.

Online League Play
Providing you with the ability to set up leagues with up to 30 teams offering full stat tracking, point benefits and rewards. Customize as you see fit; choose your players, teams, length, rules and much more. Whether it’s you and a couple buddies or 29 of your closest friends, bragging rights are on the line.

Umpire Personalities
This year umpires will have unique tendencies and animations. But most importantly, each umpire will have his own definition of the strike zone. It’s up to you to figure out if they’re calling the zone high, low or giving you the corners. The quicker you figure it out, the more successful you’ll be.

Multi-Branch Fielding takes Branch Point Technology to a new level. Now you can take full control of fielders and break out of any animation in the process. Change your fielding decision and branch out of any animation after the first branch point. With Branch Point Technology you’ll pull off unbelievably smooth, fluid transitions for seamless double plays and relays.

3-Man Booth with Rex Hudler bringing additional energy to tell it like it is. Hudler joins Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell for the most comprehensive commentary you’ve heard in any baseball game. MLB 09 The Show sets the bar high with progressive commentary that changes you progress through the game, adapting to current actions and situations.

User Controlled Slides let you control base runners down to the last detail. Split-second decisions are the difference between a win and a loss so as you round the bases, you decide when it’s time to get dirty.

Rivalry Mode allows you to set up and maintain multi-game rivalries between multiple gamers or versus the CPU. Follow everything from wins to Ks and see who has the winning edge every time you challenge your rival. Whether you play offline or online, you’ll be able to keep track of all your rivalry stats and bragging rights.

Game Time Decisions bring more depth to Franchise and Season Modes. Only MLB 09 The Show provides the ability to take full control of your team when you’re forced to make the tough decisions. An injured player on the roster or a pitcher who needs more rest – the decision to play them is yours. If you ever thought you could be a big league manager this is the year to test your skills.

Progressive Broadcast adapts and utilizes game-specific presentations tailored to your career spotlight player as the season progresses.

SportsConnect Headline News lets you stay on top of all the news around the league. Receive all the current happenings in sports today. Information will be updated a few times each hour with news, trades and events from 31 different feeds, each containing 25 unique items. You can also select General MLB headlines for updates from all 30 teams in the league so no important news is missed while online with MLB 09 The Show.

Enhanced Career Mode incorporates a New Career Spotlight underscoring all of the accomplishments and failures during your career and showcases them in the limelight. You still call the shots but now the ramifications of your actions are documented. It’s up to you to determine whether your reel consists of highlights or miscues.

Enhanced Franchise Mode gives the critics more to rave about extending the functionality where performance and player morale are tracked on virtually every level – salary, playing time, batting slot, team performance, you name it – you control it.

Unique Stadium Ambiance for every MLB team specific to their stadium with coordinated crowds, team colors and audio that catering to each team and specific players.

Release Point Pitching takes video game pitching to a whole new level utilizing a timing mechanism you must learn realize pitching pace and release point which varies from pitcher to pitcher.

The Pitching Confidence Meter plays a key role your ability to hit spots. Your frequency of mistake pitches will impact the confidence level of your hurler making it more difficult to hit your spots and paint the corners.

Guess Pitch tests your ability to master “the sweet science”. Check out the pitch history and sit on what you think the pitcher will throw next. If you sit on the right pitch your power attribute is increased. For the ultimate reward sit on pitch and location and leave the yard in a hurry.

PlayMaker Fielding at its core is based on fielding attributes but it’s ultimately up to you play to your team’s strengths and weaknesses. Excellent fielders will track them down for you while sub-par fielders will require some concentration from you.

Unassisted Fielding Control allows fielding freedom with the ball in hand. Take advantage of more realistic barehanded flips and the ability to dive with the ball in the fielder’s bare hand for the putout.

Hundreds Of Personalized Animations shows you recognizable, personalized player animations for everything from walk-ups, rituals, stances, swings – even emotions. All told more than any other baseball game on any platform. Guaranteed!

Unprecedented Online Options featuring head-to-head gameplay, 30-team leagues, King of the Diamond, live sports tickers, message boards, buddy lists, headset functionality, downloadable rosters, chat, and more.

Authenticity, Subtleties & Nuances like drag bunts, wild pitches, broken bats, check swings, off-line throws and much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell yes!!! Can't wait for this! Trash Talk 2.0 is going to be ridiculous. People are going to have the most obscene and lewd stuff ever in there. Has anyone at Sony ever been to a baseball game? lol...I think people will be a bit more creative than "Where's Madonna?"

Also, I'm psyched for custom music! I want my damn batter intro music back that I had in MLB 2K5. Sounds like this game is going to be awesome! There's really very little about the gameplay that needs tweaking, so just some modest improvements and added features should make MLB 09 the best baseball game ever! March can't get here soon enough!

The thing that keeps it from being a problem will be that the chants won't go any further than just your PS3, so you can't rickroll anyone but yourself.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The thing that keeps it from being a problem will be that the chants won't go any further than just your PS3, so you can't rickroll anyone but yourself.[/quote]

That doesn't make any sense though. How would that be "trash talking"? That's more like self-entertainment. I figured it would just work similar to that "smack talk" box thing for Xbox. Like pre-programmed disses that would be sent through the in-game chat function.

Also, this quote gives the impression that they will hear it:

That's right, MLB 09 The Show not only takes you down on the virtual field, your voice is featured inside the cyber stands shouting at your opponent's favorite players.

Unless of course they're talking about local multiplayer, but that would kinda make it even more pointless considering you could just turn your head and be like "guess what...you suck" lol

Because it adds to your own game and is better aimed for playing with friends locally. Why would Sony want to give people the chance to to just fill out the crowd's chants with cursing and stupid crap like that for when you go online?

If you have the crowd chanting "You suck" whenever your most hated players come up to bat, that adds a lot since they probably don't get a lot in the game. I loved hearing the crowd chant "Overrated" whenever Derek Jeter came up to the plate or whenever Travis Hafner went to bat in rival ballparks.

I normally only go into the 360 sections because I don't have a ps3, but when I saw this article I decided I am getting a PS3 just for this game. 2K9 is going to be the same old garbage

Honestly MLB 08 was near perfect, graphics were amazing.. the one thing I had a problem with was the Road to The Show was a bit of a gruelfest.. the mini games (Like MVP had in the Dynasty mode) should help.

I also would have liked an easier, more managable roster for the franchise. I never found out.. MVP/Madden/Almost all EA series you can press a button and it will change the roster to the best possible. It was a bit of a pain bringing up and down AA players that I could give a rats ass about.

And also better animations for players (IE they don't go through each other!)

Damn, I think I'm going to have to get this now. I haven't bought a baseball game for a few years now so it's time for one.

This is strange:

Unrivaled Player Creator -- An infinite amount of options for creating players including everything right down to your own face with EyeToy (PS2 only). But it doesn't stop there. You can also adjust your personal rituals, swings even emotions as you create Mini-You.

MLB Player Motion Captures -- MLB 09 The Show features authentically captured motions from dozens of professional athletes including David Wright, David Ortiz, Eric Chavez, Roger Clemens, Trevor Hoffman, Tim Hudson, Darryl Hamilton and more.

No PS3 Eye capability?

Darryl Hamilton? I remember him playing for the Rockies/Mets in '99. What's he doing here? If they were able to work it out (with the MLBPA?) so that I could field the 2000 Mets and try again at a title, I'd be all for that. That seems more fun to me than fielding a team with Ruth, Williams, Cobb and DiMaggio.

He probably offers consulting/mo-cap services to games in his spare time.

You could relive the 2000 season with the new roster vault feature if someone puts the time into recreating the entire league, or maybe just the team itself in today's league.

[quote name='theflicker']This is strange:

No PS3 Eye capability?

Darryl Hamilton? I remember him playing for the Rockies/Mets in '99. What's he doing here? If they were able to work it out (with the MLBPA?) so that I could field the 2000 Mets and try again at a title, I'd be all for that. That seems more fun to me than fielding a team with Ruth, Williams, Cobb and DiMaggio.[/quote]

They mean John Hamilton....

man.. this game is going to be the blessing and the curse for me... I won't play ANYTHING other than this when it comes out, meaning I better go and starts playing Gears 2, Beat COD4, Beat COD5, actually make a level with little big planet, start and finish Resistance 2 co-op, and get NHL 09 totally out of my system....

might have to just quit my job.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He probably offers consulting/mo-cap services to games in his spare time.

You could relive the 2000 season with the new roster vault feature if someone puts the time into recreating the entire league, or maybe just the team itself in today's league.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's true. But that would involve using a bunch of created players, no? I've never been quite satisfied with trying to craft actual old players. They tend to stick out like sore thumbs. It'd be cool, and unnecessary I realize, if they included complete rosters for the past 30-40 years. Not even the rosters, just the players. I can build my own rosters.

[quote name='DestroVega']They mean John Hamilton....

man.. this game is going to be the blessing and the curse for me... I won't play ANYTHING other than this when it comes out, meaning I better go and starts playing Gears 2, Beat COD4, Beat COD5, actually make a level with little big planet, start and finish Resistance 2 co-op, and get NHL 09 totally out of my system....

might have to just quit my job.[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah, Josh Hamilton would make much more sense.

Yeah, this will be my first entry into The Show franchise. Didn't own a PS2 until last year, still play MVP05 and recently got a PS3. I was going to pick up 08 cheap, but I think I'll just wait for 09 to come out. Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun.

Played quite a bit of Road to the Show before I burned myself out on 08. My first baseball game in a long, long time and I enjoyed it. It sounds like they're going to spice up RTTS which is good. I hope they work on the presentation, too.

[quote name='slickkill77']I normally only go into the 360 sections because I don't have a ps3, but when I saw this article I decided I am getting a PS3 just for this game. 2K9 is going to be the same old garbage[/quote]

Glad you're finally coming over to this side (for baseball.) I felt so sorry for you every time I saw you playing 2K8 on the 360 and was like, "if only he had a PS3 he could enjoy the greatness that The Show is."

Very nice. They should have it so that a mention of drug abuse or marriage problems to a certain player drops their contact stats by 5. A mention of choking to any Mets players = -15 Contact VS LHP and RHP.

Awesome! I loved 08 so you can count me in for 09'.

This year they need to make the game more realistic though... 08' allowed me to win the World Series as the Cubs and in reality that can't happen....

The PS Blog posts an article about 09:
In case you didn’t catch this early story on ESPN last Friday, MLB 09 The Show was officially announced today, ready to arrive this coming Spring on the PS3, PSP, and PS2. As the market leader in the baseball category, the team did not want to rest on their laurels and churn out a lackluster effort. For this year, the team is including a number of new features and visual detail to once again bring the best and most realistic sports gaming experience available.

Last year we allowed players to import their own music from the PS3 hard drive so they could listen in game. Now, the team has gone a step further by creating the “My MLB Music” feature. This will allow players to use the in-game music editor to create snipits of music that can be saved and used as customized walk up music for their favorite players. Additionally, have you ever screamed at your TV at a bad (or good) play when engaged in a sports game? Well now your voice can be heard IN THE GAME by allowing users to record their own fan chants and yells and integrate them seamlessly into the ambient crowd noise. It’ll sound like you’re really there.

Of course the team is all over the details and as the leading baseball game simulator out there, how could they not? Transitional lighting is now included so players will see the lighting and shadows change gradually from a late afternoon game into night. There are also many more details within each stadium including unique jumbotron animations, realistic fan reactions, and wear and tear on the field. Also for the New York fans out there - you’re probably curious to know how your new stadiums will look like for the Yankees and the Mets? Well wonder no further as MLB 09 The Show will have them in the game, in full detailed glory.

But back to the features. Our exclusive “Road to the Show” mode has been improved with an all-new practice mode, Franchise mode has been expanded to include 40 man rosters, and the new online season leagues are available, allowing friends to get together in a league and pool MLB players together for an in-game fantasy draft.

We’ll be talking much more about this game and showing the goods as we get closer to launch next Spring. In the meantime, enjoy some of these great screen grabs to get an early peek at what the team currently has going.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/12/22/mlb-09-the-show-hear-yourself-cheer-in-game/

Woohoo!
Day one purchase for me. I am not making the same mistake again of picking this up over the summer, being unable to run the bases, and getting my butt handed to me by everyone in N8rockers' league.

Is it pitchers and catchers yet?

I'm guessing the Yankees are off-limits to be in the league this year? they are WAY too stacked...

actually, you can draft teams this year, I feel that's the way to go.

[quote name='DestroVega']I'm guessing the Yankees are off-limits to be in the league this year? they are WAY too stacked...

actually, you can draft teams this year, I feel that's the way to go.[/quote]

I second this. I think there are already 4-5 Yankee fans in this thread (and remember, melokeith said he wanted the Yanks too). I think having a fantasy draft is the best option. It may not be 100% realistic, but the games rarely are anyway. Plus, I'd be very interested to see how everybody puts together their team.

On that note, are we doing league sign ups yet? Since FriskyTanuki ran the first league last year, I have no problem with him being in charge again this year. I'll be happy to just participate! :)

[quote name='slickkill77']The yankees arent stacked. You guys are just going off of gut reaction to big signings. Rays and Soxs are still better[/quote]

The argument has been made that the Yanks haven't improved because they've essentially replaced Mussina with Sabathia, Pettitte (so it seems) with Burnett, and Giambi with Teixeira. Aside from age (and overall skill), what's being completely unaccounted for is the amount of underachievers/injuries the Yankees had last year.

The addition of these new stars combined with healthy and productive years from the likes of Posada, Matsui, Cano, and A-Rod (possibly even Melky..but I'm not holding my breath there) EASILY puts the Yanks into contention for the AL East..and in my opinion, gives them an edge over the Sox and Rays.

Forgive my boldness, but the Rays caught every break possible last year. Their pitching staff was virtually injury free all season. It's just unlikely for that to happen again. Not to mention that they won't be catching anybody by surprise this year. It's not easy staying on top. The Yankees and Sox know this. But it's one lesson the young Rays have yet to learn.

Blah Blah Blah

Burnett is an injury waiting to happen. CC was great in the NL, in the AL merely good. Their outfield and infield defense minus Texiera is awful. Whos going to pitch behind CC, Burnett and Wang......?
The Rays had virtually the same team two years in a row. The main difference was Floyd, Longo and the bullpen. Guarantee the Rays finish better than the Yankees....

Our pitching staff wasnt injury free....Kaz missed the first month. Sonny and Jamie havent ever had a major injury in their career. Forget our pitching look at the position players we lost. Pena broke a finger missed ~3 weeks. Aki had a few injuries missed games. Longo broke a wrist missed a month. Bartlett injured a knee and missed time. CC missed a lot of time with hammies and a wrist. Bj tore a shoulder labrum. Your just making excuses because you know the Rays are going to roll Nate:D

[quote name='slickkill77']Blah Blah Blah

Burnett is an injury waiting to happen. CC was great in the NL, in the AL merely good. Their outfield and infield defense minus Texiera is awful. Whos going to pitch behind CC, Burnett and Wang......?
The Rays had virtually the same team two years in a row. The main difference was Floyd, Longo and the bullpen. Guarantee the Rays finish better than the Yankees....

Our pitching staff wasnt injury free....Kaz missed the first month. Sonny and Jamie havent ever had a major injury in their career. Forget our pitching look at the position players we lost. Pena broke a finger missed ~3 weeks. Aki had a few injuries missed games. Longo broke a wrist missed a month. Bartlett injured a knee and missed time. CC missed a lot of time with hammies and a wrist. Bj tore a shoulder labrum. Your just making excuses because you know the Rays are going to roll Nate:D[/quote]

No, I'm just being objective here. CC was "good" in the AL? So winning a Cy Young is just "good"? Burnett, I'm not sold on. The biggest positive for him is that he's done VERY well in the AL East. He led the league in strikeouts last year and throws 97. He's injury prone, and could prove to be Pavano 2.0 (but I have to tell myself that NOBODY can be that worthless...plus, he's got more tools than Pavano ever had).

After those 2 and Wang, uh hello...Joba Chamberlain. Joba is a beast and was great in the rotation last year. He's been a starter his whole career, so his injury should be nothing more than media drama. The Yanks will have to keep his innings down though, so that's why resigning Pettitte for that 5 spot is important, so Hughes can just spot start when Joba needs a day off. And besides, are you really going to argue that Sonnanstine and Jackson are better than Joba and Pettitte? Dream weaver.

And if we're going to talk position players missing time, don't even get me started. A-Rod missed a month early in the year, Posada went down multiple times and was done by July (only appeared in 51 games), Matsui was hurt for much of the year (appeared in 93 games), and Jeter played hurt pretty much all year. Not to mention that at one point Wang, Joba, Hughes, and Kennedy were all on the DL.

There is no way the Yankees don't improve this year. The Rays are talented, don't get me wrong. But it's hard to repeat that kind of success, and I would be surprised if somebody doesn't expose a weakness. Plus, if the Rays are so great, what the fuck happened against the Phillies? :D

Is this going to support trophies? I missed out on 08. I am for sure going to try to pick this one up.

[quote name='Blackout']Is this going to support trophies? I missed out on 08. I am for sure going to try to pick this one up.[/QUOTE]Trophies are mandatory in 2009, so it definitely will.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Trophies are mandatory in 2009, so it definitely will.[/quote]

Nice, that's good to know!

[quote name='n8rockerasu'] And besides, are you really going to argue that Sonnanstine and Jackson are better than Joba and Pettitte? Dream weaver.

There is no way the Yankees don't improve this year. The Rays are talented, don't get me wrong. But it's hard to repeat that kind of success, and I would be surprised if somebody doesn't expose a weakness. Plus, if the Rays are so great, what the fuck happened against the Phillies? :D[/quote]

....We traded Jackson. Price is now in. (Shields, Kazmir, Garza, Price, Sonny). And I forgot that Garza missed a few weeks too. Pettitte may not even pitch with them and Joba 5 inning? Not worried. Plus if he even does start, then that significantly hurts their bullpen. The Yankees are actualy looking to get rid of an outfielder too so Matsui may be the odd man out. Don't forget Posada is old, Matsui is old, Jeter is old, Abreu is gone, Damon is old.....Don't discount how bad their defense is going to be

The umpires and weather killed the Rays. Plus the Red Soxs series was basically the world series for them, they got worn out mentally:whee:

[quote name='slickkill77']The yankees arent stacked. You guys are just going off of gut reaction to big signings. Rays and Soxs are still better[/quote]

In terms of a video game? they certainly are... every single player that comes to the plate can do damage, and now they have a rotation full of big names and stars and that's going to effect their ratings...

I think the Yankees are the favorites now, as they should be with all their moves, but I was really talking about their roster in terms of the game.

In any case, we should really draft the teams... it's the best way to go, plus really interesting.

man this game is going to rock. league! and yes the fantasy draft would be freaking sweet. and yes, the yankees are going to be sick in the game at least. I see the league is all posting in here and ready to rock n roll. As far as the season, Yankees will make the playoffs, but CC will choke and Burnett will be hurt by July. But that lineup when healthy is really strong and if Wang stays healthy the rotation will be fine. just no way the yanks miss two in row.

Damn, this game looks ridiculous. I wasted away late night gaming sessions on '08 and that from a non-baseball fan. Hopefully Road to the Show will be much improved over last year. Otherwise, I can't think of what else they could do. This is about as perfect as a baseball game has ever been.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']And your MLB 09 cover athlete is...

3178694699_bbe55b78fe.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow, really? I don't know why, but I find that funny.

[quote name='theflicker']Wow, really? I don't know why, but I find that funny.[/quote]

Yea I was surprised too, but he did win AL MVP, Silver Slugger and Gold Glove. Has A-Rod ever been on a game cover?

[quote name='Krams706']Yea I was surprised too, but he did win AL MVP, Silver Slugger and Gold Glove. Has A-Rod ever been on a game cover?[/quote]

A-Rod has been on Triple Play 99...and Backyard Baseball, haha. ;) For comparison purposes, Derek Jeter has appeared on ASB 2000, ASB 2001, ASB 2002, ASB 2003, ASB 2004, ASB 05, MLB 2K5, MLB 2K6, and MLB 2K7. :D

Also, YECH!!! to Pedroia being on the cover. I would have rather them gone with Evan Longoria or Josh Hamilton. That makes 2 Red Sox players on the cover in 4 years (plus Manny on MVP 2005). Who's making these decisions...Ben Affleck? And is it me, or does Dustin Pedroia resemble Fred Durst a little bit, haha.

Needless to say, I'll be making a custom cover this year :)

EDIT - I forgot, but was reminded when I went to GS yesterday, A-Rod also appeared on the cover of Slugfest 2003...not that anybody played it, haha. ;)

Yeah I'm meh about Pedroia. How about C.C. Sabathia? Other than his postseason choke he was more talked about then about anybody last year. Anyways this game is going to be sick.

[quote name='slickkill77']
The umpires and weather killed the Rays. Plus the Red Soxs series was basically the world series for them, they got worn out mentally:whee:[/quote]

I love excuses. They lost. That's all there is to it. I was rooting for them though.

MLB 09 is looking amazing. One of just a few games I will get at launch this year.

Why can't this be coming out in April instead of the first week of March?!

Man SF IV, MLB The Show, and RE 5 coming out within 3 weeks of each other. And Alpha Protocol just after RE 5!

Does anyone know if there are playable minor leagues in this game? Not just in Road to the Show, but in Franchise mode?

bread's done
Back