Your favorite Gamecube games (Other than ones including Mario, Zelda or Metroid)

DemonAlcohol

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
What are your favorite Gamecube games that do not have Mario, Zelda, or Metroid in the title?

I spent a lot of time playing Super Monkey Ball 2, Eternal Darkness is generally considered a horror classic, and I think most people can agree that Beyond Good & Evil was one of the biggest commercial flops while being critically praised. I'm looking for some recommendations along these lines besides the big name Nintendo 1st party stuff.

Some of my favorites include:

Exclusives:
Tales of Symphonia
Ikaruga
Rogue Leader
Fire Emblem: PoR
F-Zero GX

Remakes/Enhanced Ports:
Resident Evil 1
MGS: Twin Snakes
Skies of Arcadia Legends

Mulit-platform:
Gladius
Soul Calibur 2
4x4 Evo 2

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Skies of Arcadia Legends
F-Zero GX
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
Megaman Anniversary Collection
Megaman X Collection
Pikmin 1+2
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Soul Calibur II
Tales of Symphonia
Viewtiful Joe 1+2

These are definitely my top picks :applause:

MGS Twin Snakes
Super Monkey Ball 1, 2
Beach Spikers
Megaman Anniversary Collection
Animal Crossing
Donkey Konga
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Most definitely -

Twin Snakes
Ikaruga
Gotcha Force
The original Super Monkey Ball
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil 4

Ikaruga is a good shooter, but honestly, it isn't worth the asking price. It's not *that* great. If you can, by some miracle, find it at a low price, definitely pick it up, though. Animal Crossing is great, but isn't for everyone - only one way to find out. 1080 Avalanche, while not perfect, is underrated IMHO. Donkey Konga. There's plenty I haven't played.

-Tony Hawk's Underground
-Def Jam Vendetta
-007:Agent Under Fire
-Resident Evil 4
-Prince of persia:The two Thrones
-Spider-Man 2
-Tony hawks pro skater 3
-Tales of Symphonia
-Skies of arcadia:Legends
-Tony hawks american wasteland
-Tony Hawks Underground 2
-SSX On tour
-Soul calibur 2
-Marvel Nemesis
-lord of the Rings:The Two Towers/Return of the king/The third Age
-Harry Potter Games

Skies of Arcadia Legends and Super Smash Bros. Melee, hands down. They're two of my favorite games of all time.

Of course, I haven't played too many GameCube games. I've been adding a ton to my backlist recently, now that they're getting cheap, but I haven't gotten around to playing them yet. I still need to play RE4, Ikaruga, Eternal Darkness, and a few other of the classics.

The sole reason I got a GC was for the RE series. I had Eternal Darkness, I guess I just didn't play it enough to really get into it.

There were a lot of games that I really enjoyed, and none of them were really from the core Nintendo series.

Super Monkey Ball
Eternal Darkness
Pikmin 2
Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Resident Evil 4
Animal Crossing
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

There were a lot of other fun games but to me those were the best of the best on the Gamecube.

Resident Evil 4
Tony Hawks American Wasteland
Animal Crossing
Def Jam Vendetta
Shadow the Hedgehog
Tony Hawks Underground 2 (never owned, but loved nonetheless when I did play it)
NBA Street
NBA Street V3 (

Sonic Mega Collection
Sonic Gems Collection

All the classic 2D Sonic games (and a few 3D ones) on 2 Gamecube discs = awesome.

Also, if you have a GBA, I HIGHLY recommend:

Pac Man Vs.
Legend of Zelda: The Four Swords
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Viewtiful Joe. It's critical success certainly isn't complemented through sales, but it's without a doubt one of the most enjoyable games I played on the Gamecube.

Exclusives: Resident Evil remake (the original is tied with Twisted Metal 1 for my favorite game of all time), Animal Crossing, Pikmin (haven't opened 2 yet). Couldn't get into Eternal Darkness, may not in the right mindset at the time.

Prince of Persia Sands of Time is the best action platformer ever and one of my favorite games of all time.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']it's all pretty much been said, but one game I will never get rid of is Ikaruga.[/quote]I could never make it past the 3rd boss :bomb:

Not sure if you're open to imports, but since they're so easy to play on a GC with a Freeloader I HIGHLY recommend:

-PC Genjin (a remake of Bonk's Adventure!)
-Takahashi Meijin No Boukenjima (a remake of Adventure Island!)
-Nintendo Puzzle Collection (Dr. Mario, Yoshi's Cookie, and PANEL DE PON/TETRIS ATTACK!!!)
-Kururin Squash (fun maze game)
-Mr. Driller Drill Land (4-player Mr. Driller)
-Donkey Konga 1-3 (3rd one never came out in the US and 1 & 2 have a few different songs not in the US versions)

None of the games require much Japanese knowledge and they're all fun as hell!

Baten Kaitos Origins (kinda sad no one has mentioned this yet, unless I've missed it)
Tales of Symphonia
Fire Emblem
RE4

Other than that, the only GC games I can't be bothered to part with is smash brothers, mario kart, paper mario, and the two primes.

I enjoyed PSO and zelda tp when I played them, but I doubt I ever touch them again.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']it's all pretty much been said, but one game I will never get rid of is Ikaruga.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't have, but once it came out for the 360 I figured the prices would drop and so I should cash in while the prices were still high, and then I could buy it again later once the prices dropped. This was the right move as prices have indeed since dropped substantially (complete copies have sold for as little as $20 shipped on ebay recently), but I haven't bought the game again yet. Your mention of it makes me think now is getting to be the time.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Not sure if you're open to imports, but since they're so easy to play on a GC with a Freeloader I HIGHLY recommend:

-PC Genjin (a remake of Bonk's Adventure!)
-Takahashi Meijin No Boukenjima (a remake of Adventure Island!)
-Nintendo Puzzle Collection (Dr. Mario, Yoshi's Cookie, and PANEL DE PON/TETRIS ATTACK!!!)
-Kururin Squash (fun maze game)
-Mr. Driller Drill Land (4-player Mr. Driller)
-Donkey Konga 1-3 (3rd one never came out in the US and 1 & 2 have a few different songs not in the US versions)

None of the games require much Japanese knowledge and they're all fun as hell![/QUOTE]

Kururin Squash is a must-buy. It's a weird game, it has a really fun 4-player multiplayer battle game and it is cheap. You can't go wrong with it. Not too hard to figure out, either.

I have to point out, though, that Donkey Konga 3, while in theory a great game, *DOES NOT SAVE PROPERLY* when using Freeloader, or even with at least some mod-chips (drive chips). In all cases you MUST use a separate memory card for your Japanese games and you MUST be careful not to get them mixed up as you are liable to accidentally erase one or the other if you do, as the games will ask you if you want to format them if you have them mixed up and if you can't read Japanese, you may accidentally choose to format the card!!!!

Even if you use a separate memory card for Donkey Konga 3, the game will still not save properly and so unlocks and such don't work, which is hugely disappointing. So in the case of DK3, I would say to only get that game if you have an actual Japanese Gamecube. Kururin Squash doesn't have this problem, though, so I definitely recommend that game - it saves fine. I haven't tried any of the others you mention. I'd like to know if you know if any of them have this problem.

[quote name='crunchewy']
Even if you use a separate memory card for Donkey Konga 3, the game will still not save properly and so unlocks and such don't work, which is hugely disappointing. So in the case of DK3, I would say to only get that game if you have an actual Japanese Gamecube. Kururin Squash doesn't have this problem, though, so I definitely recommend that game - it saves fine. I haven't tried any of the others you mention. I'd like to know if you know if any of them have this problem.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I'm not sure.
I've only played most of them on my Panasonic Q or Japanese Wii so I never had any saving problems.

[quote name='b3b0p']Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 is supposably pretty good. I have it, but it's in my backlog. Loved 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast.[/quote]
THPS2 is probably the best in the series, but 3 added some gameplay elements (revert) that made the game better. They both have great soundtracks. After 3 the series started to go downhill.

From my collection:

- F-Zero GX
- TimeSplitters 2
- MegaMan and Sonic Compilations (not sure if counts, but they are awesome)
- Robotech: Battlecry - lovely shooter, especially if you are fan of the series
- P.N:03 - frustating at first, boring if not careful, but I really like the game. I would recommend people to try it before buying, or get it really cheap.

A note on Killer7: I bought it hoping it would be one of those games that got bad reviews but actually are great, but I found it pretty frustating, even if the artstyle and music are really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tsmvengy']THPS2 is probably the best in the series, but 3 added some gameplay elements (revert) that made the game better. They both have great soundtracks. After 3 the series started to go downhill.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the summary.

I also played completely through 100% Tony Hawk 2 on the GBA. Excellent addicting game.

The best non-Mario/Zelda/Metroid game for the Cube? That's 100% exclusive?

Eternal Darkness, hands down.

Since you guys are talking imports, Kururin Squash is good. If you are 100% fluent in Japanese, Giftpia is good.

My favorite is Doshin the Giant. And good news... if you want an English version of it, because of some weird bit of coding the PAL version will work just fine in American Consoles provided you use a boot disc like Freeloader.

[quote name='CriscoKidd']Baten Kaitos Origins (kinda sad no one has mentioned this yet, unless I've missed it)[/quote]
Amen. I really enjoyed the first game. May not have been the best RPG ever (and man, did I want to strangle whoever hired the voice "talent"...), but was a lot of fun and the combat really clicked with me.

I have that game for the GameCube, but I've never played it on any other console.

As far as the game goes, it's your typical hack'n'slash game, with skill and stats buildings, but very little RPG in the sense of storyline choices. Everything is very straight forward.

The game plays and looks pretty nice, but if you play it single-player, you'll get bored pretty soon IMO. It's really a multiplayer game, it's really fun to play with a friend, like all hack'n'slashes.

If you can handle the repetitive gameplay or have somebody who can play with you until the end of the game, it's a good buy, especially since it's so cheap now. Would be nice to rent first though, if at all possible or viable.

bread's done
Back