CAGcast #144: Mushroom Clouded Minds

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Cheapy, Wombat, Shipwreck, thanks to you all! (Mrs. Shipwreck too!)

I've got my fingers crossed on the Child's Play Charity goal! I just donated today (and it seems many others only got around to doing it in the past day or two).

Happy holidays everyone~

I believe that special GameStop you were talking about was one of the rare tournament specialty locations where competitive gaming tournaments were held. I'm really hoping that all GS locations will adopt the new look, as pretty much all of them still have that tiny, rectangular, old gray design that while making GameStops very recognizable is still very outdated.

great podcast this week also when wombat was talking about a 16 year old buying a ps3 with a m rated game im sure if he walked into a gamestop the employee would be more than happy to sell him the system without a second thought.

Cheapy, I enjoy LittleBigPlanet a lot and not because of the aspect of creating levels. Part of the fun to me at least is the spectacle of the whole thing. Taking a time out every once in a while to see what the creators (Individual players and Media Molecule) put forth with the tools given to us. I may not make something amazing but I immensely enjoy seeing what talented creators put forth, which you see in both the story mode and community aspect of the game.

Oh, and one more thing. I think you should have someone else look up Nintendo news for the CAGcast because it doesn't seem like Cheapy tries to look for Nintendo news anymore. How is Club Nintendo hitting NA (albeit poorly) not mentioned in the CAGcast? Laziness I say.

Good show. I don't like shipwreck's show but he was a great addition to this show. I'm not sure if I'd like him to be permanent because I also like just wombat and cheapy. I'm so torn!

Wombat is absolutely right about his bundle theory. My brother who is 30 years old and at least 10 years removed from gaming picked up that exact bundle for his family for Christmas. The console, Mario Kart, and Wii Play for his son and Wii Fit for his wife. Nintendo might as well make that a "Family Bundle", though its possibly Costco may have done so already.

Have a question for Wombat/Cheapy/Shipwreck...with all the LittleBigPlanet bashing (3-4 episodes in-a-row? I mean is it necessary to bring it up every episode talking about the very same thing?), I gotta wonder...
do you guys play LBP by yourselves? I always play with at least 3 other people (locally, not online) and its always been a blast...way better than other "party" games like Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero, which gets old pretty much after you sing through 50% of the songs.

And I refuse to play LBP by myself ... I think I would have experienced it when different if I just blew past each level.

Have a question for Wombat/Cheapy/Shipwreck...with all the LittleBigPlanet bashing (3-4 episodes in-a-row? I mean is it necessary to bring it up every episode talking about the very same thing?), I gotta wonder...

do you guys play LBP by yourselves? I always play with at least 3 other people (locally, not online) and its always been a blast...way better than other "party" games like Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero, which gets old pretty much after you sing through 50% of the songs.

And I refuse to play LBP by myself ... I think I would have experienced it when different if I just blew past each level.

okay, i've been listening to the cagcast since episode one... So each week I look forward to the show due to its irreverent humor.

There is a reason why I don't listen to the cagforeplay show. The third addition killed the wombat-cheapy dynamic. :roll: PLEASE NO SHIPWRECK. Seems like a nice guy but I like the two man team as wombats jokes were stiffled but the third guy.

Wombat must die for singing Last Christmas. I hate that song! I worked at a store for 8 years and the owner would only play that song as Christmas music from November 1st to January 1st.

Arrrrrrgh!

Seriously, though great show. Nice to have Ship on too.

wombat hates LBP and transitions into how much he likes Tomb Raider. and Shipwreck likes the werehog and calls LBP a "bad game". man, you guys love smelling your own farts. btw the only way anyone is seeing wombats mushroom man is with a microscope.

Little Big Planet's creation tools are similar to the amazing graphics of other games. The awesome tools for creating the levels are there but that pretty much doesn't matter if no one wants to actually play the game because of lackluster gameplay.

Hey Cheapy, I started playing a lot more Fable II myself. I just have one problem that's been bothering me and I'm wondering if you, Wombat, or Shipwreck have/had this problem: the controls feel a little unresponsive.

In the first Fable, if you moved the stick in a direction, you instantly moved in that direction. The controls were tight, making it easy to navigate narrow walkways and paths. When I picked up Fable II, I often found myself walking into walls and other obstacles at first because if you point the stick in a direction the character isn't already facing, he/she takes a second to re-orient themselves before walking. Even when running straight, if I need to dodge a small rock on the ground, I have to point the character around the rock about a half-second or so ahead of time if I want to keep going without missing a beat.

Other than that, the game is great so far. The art, atmosphere, story, it's all great. Just wish they kept the tighter, more responsive (if less realistic) controls from the first game.

A bit harsh on LBP, it still remains one of my favorite titles to play with friends and to find new and exciting ways to kill my Sackboy making traps or checking out other player's levels. I can't wait to check out the new Metal Gear Level content for the game.

You both mentioned how much you love Fable II's 'offline interest' system. How it's a rarely done thing in gaming and how it actually motivates you to get back in the game and see how much you've accrued. I think a major game you're forgetting that also does this is The World Ends With You. I know the chances of getting you guys to play a traditional RPG is pretty slim but that game does an excellent job of scaling the difficulty so it's as easy or hard as you want at any time and you gain experience points for not playing so even when you get sick of it when you come back to it you're skills are stronger than when you left. It went thru one price drop already and if it has another one I would highly suggest it for you.

If you take away the controls of RE5 then you completely kill what makes RE tense and scary.

Too Human better then LBP?

I don't think I am ever going to listen to this again.

Whew, I was starting to think cagcasts were over until next year. Thanks for the menage o three this week!

Agreed on LBP in the sense that the game is over-hyped. I wouldn't say it isn't fun, but I would say that the game is only fun in spurts and that it only has limited appeal. Clearly the level designing is the crux of this game, while the actual "game" is merely passable.

Good discussion on Sony and PS3--I agree that Sony is out of touch on the bundles and that they are really in a corner on the price. If Sony could do a $250-300 system w/family friendly game, they'd be doing better than they are now. I guess since they cannot financially, they are stuck trying to appeal to whatever hardcore/gamer market they perceive is left. I do think they they should've pushed Uncharted (summer movie-style) again if they were going to do the bundle with that game.

Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck in one CAGcast equals some serious nerdiness. Yeah I thought we'll have a new CAGcast 'till next year.
Happy Hollidays everyone!

[quote name='KingBroly']Cheapy, I enjoy LittleBigPlanet a lot and not because of the aspect of creating levels. Part of the fun to me at least is the spectacle of the whole thing. Taking a time out every once in a while to see what the creators (Individual players and Media Molecule) put forth with the tools given to us. I may not make something amazing but I immensely enjoy seeing what talented creators put forth, which you see in both the story mode and community aspect of the game.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I don't create anything but the game has limitless content. You can check the top levels every week and find another fun level to play in. Also when you add multi-player to the mix it becomes 10x more enjoyable. You do not need to create levels to have fun in the game.

Honestly though unless you guys change your mind about LBP don't ever mention it again.

Is it just me or is the show funnier when Wombat is hyped-up and CheapyD is at a complete loss?

Best xmas gift ever, a new episode of CAG to listen to while I wait till tommorow morning, HAPPY HOLIDAYS GUYS!

Very good episode one of my favourites so far actually, the three of you worked great and it had me laughing out loud at various occasions most notably; mushroom man, shipwreck in Blockbuster and many others.

Keep up the good work , hopefully get Mrs. Shipwreck on the show next time for a super CAG year around off.

Christmas [today] is pretty secular, commercialized into spoiling the children and tree ornaments; me, an atheist, celebrates it. You've got 8 days of gifts to worry about!

(In my sleepless christmas night, I did not want to hear what I heard!)

Little Big Planet is no fun? How... what!? That's like saying Youtube is no fun. Of course it isn't, you can go through and watch all the featured videos you want, but until you put some actual involvement into it you wont get anything out of it; and I'm not just talking about creating levels. I can already see it now, Mrs and Mr shipwreck running through the single player (sackboy's still the default brown) never figured out how to place a sticker or use the emotion controls. Just two sad little brown sacks quietly walking through the levels on their black and white tv and muted volume.

It's the whole power of putting some enjoyment into it, trying new things, expressing yourself and having fun with it; not taking it TO DAMN SERIOUS. (LBP is not a hand holding game...) It's like sex, ya you can lay on your back while she sits tired on top of you. But you will have much more fun if you put some extra effort into it and try new things (which I am sure CheapyD likes to do!)

Maybe it's not the games fault, maybes it's the lack of enjoyment you exert into the game!

But, I am bias. Little Big Planet is my favorite game... of all time. Seriously.

AND I am sorry, I hate being a crazed/rabid fanboy; but those comments made me very bummed that you guys could not see what a great game it really is.

Now if you'll excuse me I have my 3:00am "appointment" with Media Molecule.

Same here. I don't create anything but the game has limitless content. You can check the top levels every week and find another fun level to play in. Also when you add multi-player to the mix it becomes 10x more enjoyable. You do not need to create levels to have fun in the game.

Honestly though unless you guys change your mind about LBP don't ever mention it again.
Seriously, it's one thing not liking a game. It's another thing being annoyed by the immense hype. But bashing it to DEATH repeatedly on at least 3 shows is just unnecessary... it makes me gag when you discuss how terrible LBP is right after discussing what a gem the new Banjo is (oh btw, you have to make things in that game...) and how Saints Row 2 has perfected the essence of fun and has achieve supreme game invincibility.

Are you guys actively trying to ruin peoples christmas'? Little johnny is going to be pissed when he opens up Saints Row 2 and Sonic Unleashed because his daddy listens to the cagcast way to much. He may never forgive Santa again...

Please voice your opinions, but we got that you guys don't like LBP. And I love the cagcast I've been listening since the mere beginning, I don't want to have to stop now over something stupid... please?

Great show Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck

I must say that talk about Cheapy spending to much on headphones etc.

That really got me thinking, don't get me wrong I love CAG and the show but Cheapy seems to waste allot of money on shit he doesn't really need.

A netbook computer and iphone, Portable consoles. Is it really true that Cheapy doesn't leave the apartment? I think he should do a video or something showing off or around tokyo or atleast around his general area as most people (myself included) are fastignated by Japan and Japanese Culture.

that wolverine movie is gonna suck. they chose the wrong guy for sabretooth , there are way too many characters in the film ala batman and robin and most of these movies tend to suck anyway. i want to see a competent deadpool movie or a really gory horror driven Nightstalkers movie franchise. the guy that should have been sabretooth is clancy brown. hes kinda old but i know he could do him justice.

Hey

I just wanted to say great show (it was very good Christmas Eve listening material). I really liked You, Wombat and Shipwreck doing a show together and thought why don't you did this more often? Like every month or so the three of you (and maybe even Mrs. Shipwreck) get together and have a super CAG team show? I think it'll be really nice to have the whole CAG team together reflecting on the month and the Inevitable bashing of games that everyone else seems to like.

Just a thought, thanks and keep up the good work

Wombat must have taken a shot of "Sextonic" before the show because he was unusually feisty in this episode. For the first time, he almost appeared to control the flow of the show more than Cheapy. Do I sense a realignment in the implicit dominance hierarchy underlying their relationship? Will Wombat continue to exert his influence in a more aggressive fashin? Will Cheapy push back with some unnecessarily harsh comments about Wombat's appearance, job, etc., as ihe is prone to do from time to time? I can't wait to stay tuned for the exciting conclusion!

Ship was quiet...you guys need to keep your focus off your mushrooms and stick to the videogames, then maybe Ship will be engaged in the convo, LOL!

Thanks for answering my question, guys. :) But for future reference, I'm a chick. :p

As for the absolute failure of Home, after listening to the podcast I attempted to check it out, since I had installed it but not even looked at it yet. Before I could, I had to download some more software. Great. Then when that was done, it froze at the "This accesses the harddrive" screen and I had to quit out of it. It still didn't work after restarting the console. Awesome.

Good show, good to see that Team Xbox (Ship, Cheapy, and Wombat) have reformed to make another awesome CAGcast.

Womat: I have to agree with your comments regarding system selling games; LBP as a new IP (or any good new IP) could have been more of a system seller, however you have to expose people to it. When the Wii was introduced, Wii Sports was the system selling game that really sold the system. When you saw the Wii, you saw Wii sports it was the flagship game (and it was a new IP). LBP; only people who follow video games knew about it. LBP definitely did NOT get enought exposure, and enough marketing to show what its about.

Resistance 2 - Ship stop judging this game from the Beta, I couldn't get into the Beta myself, but the multiplayer aspect of R2 is very good and very addicting. The single player portion is very good as well. Wombat, Cheapy have any of you guys given R2 a play?!

Little big Planet - Oh how loved this game used to be on the Cagcast, now its like the blacksheep of the Show. If the 360 had a game that was similar to LBP, you guys would be all over it. Ship, I listen to your show, and I listen to you comment about god awful games, (no, NOT games) - shovelware that you've played through and enjoyed, yet you can't get any type of enjoyment out of Little Big Planet?! You just bought Timeshift? - I'm assuming that you think you're going to get some sort of enjoyment out of that little gem as well. I know you guys didn't like the game, (except Wombat) but at least before putting the game on the bottom of the shelf, try out some of the great user created levels. The motivation of the game is to experience the imagination of others. You go through the single player game to unlock stuff, but the single player portion of the game is a intoduction leading you to the main portion of the game which is the online portion where you play, create and share. The point of LBP is NOT to regurgitate levels from other games, although its fun to reminisce, however its about creating new experiences. You guys run through the game, miss the entire point of the game, and then critize it to kingdom come on the show.

bread's done
Back