Review of one of the earlier dungeon crawls: Gateway to Apshai for the Commodore 64

chronodev

CAGiversary!
Intro

You have a destiny to fulfill. Will you survive the perilous journey through the gateway to the fabled Temple of Apshai?

This game is one of the best RPG games I've ever played, and along with Sword of Fargoal (another great dungeon crawling game), it claimed many hours of my life, and heavily influenced my passion towards RPG games. This is one of the great ancestors of dungeon crawling games such as Diablo. Whenever you venture into one of the modern video game dungeons, remember - it all started here.

Before writing any review, I would play the game for at least an hour or two to remind myself of its features. At 9:00 PM I inserted the cartridge into my Commodore 64. Ahhh the sight of the good ol' dungeon. The atmosphere... the sound effects... the weapons... the treasures... a few minutes into playing the game and I was totally immersed. Only at 4:00 AM, 7 hours later, I remembered that I had a review to write. Once again, the addictiveness of this game claimed a good portion of my night's sleep. Must... destroy... cartridge...

Read the full review here:
Review of one of the earlier dungeon crawls: Gateway to Apshai for the Commodore 64

bread's done
Back