Best Laptop Deals right now?

SOLDIER

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
I've been getting lots of ads selling laptops, and many of them look tempting, but I'm only casually shopping around and I'm not sure what qualifies as a good deal.

I don't require a souped up laptop, since I've got my PC for any major gaming (but at the very least, it'd be nice to run Final Fantasy XI and Steam games like Left 4 Dead), but at the very least I would like a stable Laptop that can stream and watch high def movies with no problems, and perhaps a DVI/HDMI port to connect to my TV (but this isn't a necessary feature). My price range is also $500 or lower.

Any good deals I should definitely take advantage of right now?

You're not going to be able to find a laptop under $500 and be able to play L4D. Expand your budget to $800 and maybe you can find some decent laptops.

Well, strike the gaming comment then, and just make it capable enough to navigate any website and watch any kind of movie.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Found two in your price range:

Option 1
Option 2[/QUOTE]

I've had my eyes on those too, but they've been out of stock for a while. Do they float in and out?

I'm in the same position as the OP. No desire for games, but I want to be able to do web browsing and videos.

Just wanted to bump this thread, see if any new (possibly better) deals have arisen, especially as a result of the CC closing.

Walmart has an Acer Aspire as5515-5879 for $348 It has 15.4" screen, 3GB ram, 160GB hard drive, AMD Athlon and Win Vista. That's all the specs listed in the ad. Seems to be an in-store thing only. It's not listed on Acer's site either yet, but neither was the one I bought on T-day. It finally showed up a month later.

Use this code to save 20% on dell laptops larger than 13" in their outlet here:
75K5$$WL2Z1FWS

You can get an inspiron1525 for around $400 give or take a few bucks. You should be able to get a core2duo 2ghz processor if you look. These will come with an integrated intel3100 graphics card. For the price you are looking this willl most likely the be the best build quality for the price barring some crazy clearance or price error somewhere. This is posted on sd's as well so if your interested I'd do it soon before it ends. This is assuming you have no problem with a refurb from the manufacturer. I'd buy one of these for the price right now if I had to have something.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I've been eyeing this for a while, anyone gots any opinions on it? I mostly just wanna know if it's reliable and won't break after a few months (I can't afford the near $100 warranty)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9168143&type=product&id=1218041995463[/quote]

Read my post above. There is no way I'd buy that when for a similar price you can get a dell inspiron. No, I am not a dell fanboy either. I have a vaio and prior to that an hp. The dell will have better support and eassier access to parts if a problem down the road. Go to the dell outlet and browse the inspiron 1525's. Find one around $500 and use the coupon code if still active that is posted above. Click here to be transported to the dell outlet. If you want to be really cheap and it meets your needs you can get some for around $300 after the 20% off.

dont buy a single core laptop

you will regret that slug big time unless it is the intel atom on the netbooks thats pretty nice

[quote name='rmb']Use this code to save 20% on dell laptops larger than 13" in their outlet here:
75K5$$WL2Z1FWS

You can get an inspiron1525 for around $400 give or take a few bucks. You should be able to get a core2duo 2ghz processor if you look. These will come with an integrated intel3100 graphics card. For the price you are looking this willl most likely the be the best build quality for the price barring some crazy clearance or price error somewhere. This is posted on sd's as well so if your interested I'd do it soon before it ends. This is assuming you have no problem with a refurb from the manufacturer. I'd buy one of these for the price right now if I had to have something.[/QUOTE]

Inspiron 1525
(System Identifier: 04L2KAVT)

* Inspiron 1525 Laptop: Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390 (1.86GHz/533Mhz FSB/1MB cache)
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic

System Price : $469.00

Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Home BasicMemory
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz (2 DIMMs)Hard Disk Drive
120 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)Video
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100Modem
56K DataFax ModemWeb Camera
No CameraHardware Upgrade
6 Cell Primary BatteryBase
Inspiron 1525 Laptop: Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390 (1.86GHz/533Mhz FSB/1MB cache)Media Bay
8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capabilityNetwork Interface Card
Dell 1395 802.11G Wireless Mini CardPreviously Ordered New
Previously Ordered NewLaptop Screen
15.4 WXGA Laptop Screen Display with TrueLifeSystem Color
Jet Black

So this is the best deal right now? It sure sounds good.

IMO, the dell deal is pretty good and may be the best right now. Need to verify the warranty you get as I have not bought myself but would. Also, the page changes constantly so just keep checking if you don't like what you see. I would try to get a core 2 duo instead of the dual core 2390. There is very little difference in performance but the 2390 may run a little warmer. I am not sure on that point though.

[quote name='Over easy']You're not going to be able to find a laptop under $500 and be able to play L4D. Expand your budget to $800 and maybe you can find some decent laptops.[/quote]

You know why that's hilarious? Because most of them are too busy running Vista...

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I've been eyeing this for a while, anyone gots any opinions on it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9168143&type=product&id=1218041995463[/quote]

A Celeron? serious? Make sure you put ME on it while your at it.

Ok, im gonna piggy back on to this, im not looking for a gaming laptop I am looking for a general use laptop, I am just gonna use it got general web surfing and maybe play something small like starcraft. So anyone have any leads on a cheaper laptop or are above about the best out there?

[quote name='Thongsy']Anything out now should be able to run FFXI. Any of the current gen AMD notebooks, and same with Intel.[/QUOTE]

Even the one I quoted above? A guy I talked to online said there was no chance.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Ok, im gonna piggy back on to this, im not looking for a gaming laptop I am looking for a general use laptop, I am just gonna use it got general web surfing and maybe play something small like starcraft. So anyone have any leads on a cheaper laptop or are above about the best out there?[/quote]

Some of the inspiron's in the dell outlet can be had for around $300. Not gonna get any lower than that. Those would meet your needs.

[quote name='VipFREAK']

A Celeron? serious? Make sure you put ME on it while your at it.[/QUOTE]

You'd have to elaborate more because while I'm not computer illiterate (I was in web design a few years ago) I'm not familiar with most PC specs outside of RAM and HDD space. About the only newer release games I'd even be interested in playing is Civ4, Sims 3, and maybe Fallout 3 (and that's mostly just for the G.E.C.K. creator thing). Other than that it's random programs my old junky PC can run and arcade/NES emulation.

[quote name='rmb']Read my post above. There is no way I'd buy that when for a similar price you can get a dell inspiron. No, I am not a dell fanboy either. I have a vaio and prior to that an hp. The dell will have better support and eassier access to parts if a problem down the road. Go to the dell outlet and browse the inspiron 1525's. Find one around $500 and use the coupon code if still active that is posted above. Click here to be transported to the dell outlet. If you want to be really cheap and it meets your needs you can get some for around $300 after the 20% off.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I was actually looking at some laptops there a couple of days ago. Hopefully that 20% off code will be working by end of next week.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Thanks for the info, I was actually looking at some laptops there a couple of days ago. Hopefully that 20% off code will be working by end of next week.[/quote]
It most likely won't be but they hve these all the time. Just watch slickdeals for them.

So again, what would the next best Dell laptop deal be, for being able to run games along the lines of FFXI? If it's only around $500, I wouldn't mind paying extra.

I actually just got the $500 laptop they're advertising at Wal-mart this week. 4GB RAM, Pentium Dual Core, and most excellently, HDMI out. It's not a PC for games, but I'll bet it'd run something older like FF11 just fine.

[quote name='mkelehan']I actually just got the $500 laptop they're advertising at Wal-mart this week. 4GB RAM, Pentium Dual Core, and most excellently, HDMI out. It's not a PC for games, but I'll bet it'd run something older like FF11 just fine.[/QUOTE]

Are there any reviews on it? Pros/Cons? Confirmation on what it can or can't run?

An in-store deal would be best for me, since I wouldn't have to wait an extra week or two to start using it.

[quote name='SOLDIER']The one that the OP is selling? I'll PM him about it.[/quote]
Yea, if he hasn't registered it you may still be able to get warranty coverage. Fairly certain it is no more than 3 months old. Just google gateway m-6862 and you can see the deals people got on this laptop and if anyone has had issues.

anybody know the best laptop in the 1700-2000 range? I want a pretty high end laptop for gaming, and photoshopping, looking at some laptos from Acer and the new Dell XPS. Weight not a big deal and battery life not a very big deal(probaly gonna invest in extra battery pack/ bigger battery). Want to get a laptop that should last for atleast 4 years(for college) probaly a quad core, was looking to buy it by summer time or earlier

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find any reviews or opinions online about the Gateway m6862 that docvinh is selling. It all looks solid, but not being able to find a review for it is somewhat troubling.

[quote name='SOLDIER']I can't find any reviews or opinions online about the Gateway m6862 that docvinh is selling. It all looks solid, but not being able to find a review for it is somewhat troubling.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I don't think there were any official reviews on the m6862, but I can link you to the cag page about it if you would like.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196361&highlight=gateway

I also would like to point out that I did not get it at the 349 dollar price point, I wish I had though.

[quote name='docvinh']Hey, I don't think there were any official reviews on the m6862, but I can link you to the cag page about it if you would like.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196361&highlight=gateway

I also would like to point out that I did not get it at the 349 dollar price point, I wish I had though.[/quote]

Yea, I had one and sold mine. I paid 450-500 if I remember right. I had gears of war on it and it seemed to run good. Can't remember if it was at high or medium settings. Even if you did get it at 350 your price is good shipped for that laptop compared to what you can get now. I only sold mine as I got pissed at gateway for the way they dealt with my woman's laptop she had. Regardless, just trying to hook both of you up with what you want. Many people never check the trading forums.

I'm probably going to buy a laptop this spring for classes

I kinda want to be able to play Starcraft+ Warcraft3+Worms stuff like that

How low do you guys think I can go? I also usually have 5 browser tabs open running music and or streaming podcasts (cagcast

I have a laptop request too. My girlfriend is looking for one to use for her business--basically she just needs to be able to access the internet and do some work with Word and Excel. I was looking on Ebay and it looked like there were some of these tiny little netbook-type things for around $300. The only prerequisite in my opinion is that it has a real HDD instead of a ridiculous 4GB solid-state drive and that it runs Windows. Any suggestions/experiences?

[quote name='SuxoR']I'm probably going to buy a laptop this spring for classes

I kinda want to be able to play Starcraft+ Warcraft3+Worms stuff like that

How low do you guys think I can go? I also usually have 5 browser tabs open running music and or streaming podcasts (cagcast

Nah, but for what your gf want to do it sounds sufficient. Only things bad I can see her running into is batt life or the screen is too small.

sup ladies and gents
i also have need of a laptop. im planning to do some cross country traveling this year and want to bring some fun with me and possibly use it as a gps if i can. my requirements are simple - internet, world of warcraft(min-mid settings), no vista if possible, good to watch movies, and a nice sized hdd to house all of it. ive checked the dell outlet and seen some apparently good ones but its been awhile since ive priced a computer so im not sure which of the intel core duos is better, higher or lower number. silly question im sure but i ask it all the same. i thank you all for your sage advice in advance.

I just came across a deal for HP Pavilion notebooks. Use coupon code MU3952 for 30% off.

You need to purchase an accessory that is $50 dollars or more (get a laptop bag or a router...) for this offer to be valid.

Not included in the offer: HP Special Edition, HP Minis, and Compaq branded notebooks.

Only 450 uses I believe, so get on it quick!

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...ing=notebooks&a1=Brand&v1=HP+Pavilion#CTO_CAN

Visit my blog in my sig if you like the deals that I find. I post a one every day.

Ok... I need help too. I need to find a laptop for my aunt. I'd say it's going to be mostly for Internet use, word, and excel stuff. She wants it to be "Fast" as in not waiting around for stuff to happen i.e. connecting to the net, loading a site, or loading a program.

My ground rules are as follows.

Under $800
Has Windows XP
Has a CD drive
Has a 13 to 15in. screen
Needs to be "fast" no Celeron

Thanks in advanced

Edit: How bout this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146530

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='VipFREAK']Ok... I need help too. I need to find a laptop for my aunt. I'd say it's going to be mostly for Internet use, word, and excel stuff. She wants it to be "Fast" as in not waiting around for stuff to happen i.e. connecting to the net, loading a site, or loading a program.

My ground rules are as follows.

Under $800
Has Windows XP
Has a CD drive
Has a 13 to 15in. screen
Needs to be "fast" no Celeron

Thanks in advanced

Edit: How bout this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146530[/QUOTE]

http://shop3.frys.com/product/5809393?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

good luck with the XP thing though.
Thats hard to find.

bread's done
Back