NEW HOT Gateway Gamer laptop in Bestbuy $1049

technolover

CAGiversary!
Feedback
158 (99%)
Starting today they will have the new gateway laptop and they are sooo worth it if u are looking for a sexy new Laptop :D
Here is the Best buy Ad
http://club.cdfreaks.com/sales/bestbuy.htm

Here are the sexy specs :D
http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1223082307mh4.jpg
http://img360.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1223082307akh1.jpg

meh im buying it tomorrow :D

Well all of those questions are answered here
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=334196&page=68
there are like 70 pages of all kinds of info :D hehe enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
1GB of GDDR3 graphics memory + 4GB of DDR3 RAM sounds nice, but the two things I'd like to know is:

1. How hot will it get? I know you say it's hot, but I think it's literally going to burn the boxers off of some. Especially with an NVIDIA card, those tend to run hotter (so I've been told and felt on my own laptop).

2. What's the battery life? I'm not buying another laptop until the battery technology gets brought up to speed. 5 hours minimum would be nice. I skimmed an article once that spoke of 20+hour life for laptops in the works using new lithium technology. As it stands now, they keep upping the performance more than the battery, so any increases in battery are lost to the power it consumes.

The ASUS (which is on clearance for $649.99) is also a great gaming laptop to look at (Not to take away from the OP's post, of course)

Nice price OP, its powered by a centrino processor tho. I thought that brand was like a lower budget processor or something, unless things changed of course.

Man I want to get a laptop for school badly...

Hmm I'm thinking about a net book but I need power!

Would one of these be truly "portable"

[quote name='magus83']Nice price OP, its powered by a centrino processor tho. I thought that brand was like a lower budget processor or something, unless things changed of course.[/quote]

The whole "Centrino" thing does not refer to the processor specifically, it refers to the chipset and wireless capabilities as well as an Intel processor. It's basicly a catch phrase. The laptop in the ad sports a decently fast Core 2 Duo which currently for laptops is the best you can get.

[quote name='SuxoR']Man I want to get a laptop for school badly...

Hmm I'm thinking about a net book but I need power!

Would one of these be truly "portable"[/quote]

If you don't mind it being "ultra portable", you shouldn't have a problem.

[quote name='magus83']Nice price OP, its powered by a centrino processor tho. I thought that brand was like a lower budget processor or something, unless things changed of course.[/quote]
You're thinking of Celerons...they were lower budget Pentiums. Centrino simply means that the chipset, CPU, & WiFi card are all made by Intel. As silent h3ro stated, C2D's are great mobile CPUs.

Thanks to the OP! I went out and bought one this morning. Burned my recovery discs, downloaded all the drivers, and reformatted. It's Windows Performance Index is suprisingly close to that of my quad core desktop computer.

Don't expect Gateway to do anything but laugh at you if you have problems with one of their computers. They have absolutely horrible support, even if you buy their best support package.

[quote name='Torrwin']Don't expect Gateway to do anything but laugh at you if you have problems with one of their computers. They have absolutely horrible support, even if you buy their best support package.[/quote]

I've only dealt with their business support, but you're right on the money. However, it runs cooler than my old HP, so I'm hoping I don't run into any issues.

[quote name='technolover']hehe i just bought one this morning and thanksfully i got the LG monitor ;D its awesome so far hehe[/quote]

Hmmm...are there different panels for this laptop? Both the box and even the label next to the trackpad claim that it's a WXGA 1440x900 panel, but it's most definitely a 1920x1200 WUXGA. Reading on other websites, the consensus was that it's a typo...not that there are different versions, some with the lower-res panel.

bread's done
Back