Why the hell are HDTV's so damn expsensive?! *sigh*

Dr. Pizza

Banned
Everyone i play with, has one.. and i feel like im personal missing out on how beautiful my video games truly are because i dont have one.

I tried to see if i had a Monitor that had HDMI support, none of them have it.. so yeah.

I don't feel like dishing out tons of money. plus i dont have it, it doesnt exist. id need to get a job first before i could. but STILL.

Why the hell are they so expensive!? and does anyone know of *yeah this might sound like a non video game request* the cheapest and reliable 720p, 1080i or 1080p's are right now?

Im going to try my hardest to get a job this month. i want to get a TV for both me and my Dad. Instead of that old TV's that we have thats been around since the 80's.

Thanks.

HDTVs are really affordable now.

If you have a 360, you can hook it up to a monitor using VGA (any monitor should have this) and if your monitor had DVI use a HDMI-DVI cable.

PS3, use a DVI-HDMI cable.

Surely the 360 would work with a HMDI to DVI cable too? If so you could easily find an affordable yet high spec monitor and run that way.

Because it's made out of space age technology that we humans have not yet fully understand.

Seriously tho, It is extremely affordable now like Zewone said.
Of course it's not affordable for a youngster with no job yet still in school, but then again what is affordable at that age?

You sound like your still young, right now its your parents job to furnish the house with things like the big screen TV.
And if your parents are fine without one, then suck it up and suffer like a normal teen until you move out on your own.

If you really must play in HD, play it on your montior or save up money and buy a small 20-30" lcd tv for a few hundred bucks.

I'm running my 360 on my 19 inch widescreen computer monitor which i got for $130 used almost 2 years ago.
No problems at all.

Like others have suggested, transforming your PC monitor into a HDTV for gaming is the cheapest way to go. I did that for about a year, and the picture quality was amazing.

Use monoprice.com for the cheapest cables.

How fast is the price of HDTVs dropping? Do you guys have any estimate as to what a 42" 1080p hdtv would cost in one year?

[quote name='Cheadyp']How fast is the price of HDTVs dropping? Do you guys have any estimate as to what a 42" 1080p hdtv would cost in one year?[/QUOTE]

I just got back. $650. For a good brand.

[quote name='Cheadyp']How fast is the price of HDTVs dropping? Do you guys have any estimate as to what a 42" 1080p hdtv would cost in one year?[/QUOTE]

Depending on the brand, some are as low as 749.99 in stores. I expect them to be about 600.00 by next year this time, which, IMO isn't really worth it. I get more enjoyment out of my HDTV's in that year then 150.00 of savings.

My first LCD I bought was a Magnavox 37" 720p about 2 years ago. I paid roughly 1,050.00 for it after tax. That same TV is probably worth only 550.00 to 600.00 now but for those 2 years it did me well. Gaming in HD is great. Blu Ray ( and at one time HD DVD ) movies were awesome as well.

I just replaced( not really replaced still have the Magnavox, just not sure what to do with it :D ) that LCD with a new Samsung 40" A540 1080p which I got an great deal on for 899.00. I think I won't be buying another HDTV for atleast 3-4 years now.

Thanks for the reply. I'm just really having trouble justifying spending $750 or more just for more clarity. I'm really not sure what I'll do. My monitor has HDCP input, maybe I'll just try hooking it up to that.

Life's short sometimes, some things are worth paying for and enjoying now

I remember about 5 years ago I bought myself a 30" CRT with 480p and 1080i
I was amazed with 480p on my Xbox, then couple years after I got my 360 and Gears 1 in 1080i
I haven't looked back since, I gave the TV to my mother and upgraded

If you can afford a 40" and up 1080p TV, I recommend buying now
I mean you pay $40 per game and you're lucky to get an hour/dollar worth
With a TV you'll get every dollar you spent back in enjoyment plus more, that's how I look at it
That's also how I justify a $65 new release game on day one (hours worth / dollar spent)

Better yet, go to Wal-Mart and buy a HDTV and try it out for 90 days, if you don't want to keep it return it, I'm sure you'll change your mind

Personally, playing on a small screen hurts my eyes more than a Big screen

These is the history of my TVs

2005 $1500 Sony 46" 720p / 1080i w/1 HDMI port

2008 $1249 Sony Bravia 46" 1080P 120HZ LCD w/ motionflow

Not only are they more affordable but you are getting more bang for your buck, seriously HDTV's were dirt cheap during black friday

You've got to be kidding. Compared to items like cars and houses, the price of a new TV has been dropping rapidly while the quality and features increase. Back in 1994, I paid close to $1,000 for a 30" Toshiba tube. No HD.

Right now, Fry's has a Viewsonic 22" model with 1080p resolution and HDCP over DVI support for $189. Just get a cable for HDMI-to-DVI+audio and you're set for some great desktop gaming. A DVI KVM is still kind of costly, with the cheapest one I've seen going for $60 but that way you'll be able use the monitor with both your computer and your game console without having to frequently mess with the cables.

http://shop1.frys.com/product/5771972?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The online store is sold out but the B&M outlets still have it. Your PC must have a DVI output to drive this at full resolution as it exceeds what VGA can support. (Most 22" monitors use 1680x1050.)

Just a few years ago, a monitor like that for under $500 would have been incredible.

This just in:
Office Depot's Sunday flyer has a newer version of that Viewsonic model for $199. It's mostly the same thing with a few improvements. That is why Fry's is sold out of its predecessor.

Also, Staples has a pretty nice Acer 24" model in their ad today for $280. Amazing what you get for the money today.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a kid, before I could work, a $60 Colecovision cartridge was hopelessly out of reach....so all you guys buying $1000 TV's at the age of 15 can go suck it, you spoiled pieces of human garbage :)

To the OP: If you have a computer monitor, you already have a High Definition set. Get the VGA cables for the 360 and go nuts. If you must have a bigger HDTV, get a refurbished 720p set...I've seen 32" models as low as $350, which may or may not be out of your reach....since this is a starter set for you, you can give up some of the image quality you'll get with pricer sets, even the worst HD set looks great when you're gaming.

If it means anything to you, remember that any HD set you buy can be used as a computer monitor as well.....so you could always sell your computer monitor that you have now (for whatever you can get for it) and subtract that from the total price of the new HDTV set.

History of my TVs:

2007 - $1100 - Samsung 40" 720p LCD
2008 - $1500 - Samsung 46" 1080p 120Hz LCD

No looking back. Seriously. I want a bigger one already....

They are expensive because it is a newer technology. But look at the new LED and Laser TVs - now those are EXPENSIVE!!!

Eventually you guys will all discover Front Projection....$999 for 720p 120".......by this time next year it'll be 1080p for $999. In another year or two it'll be laser or HPLED doing the displaying, eliminating the need for replacement bulbs...

[quote name='HeadRusch']When I was a kid, before I could work, a $60 Colecovision cartridge was hopelessly out of reach....so all you guys buying $1000 TV's at the age of 15 can go suck it, you spoiled pieces of human garbage :)[/QUOTE]
Uh, seriously?

[quote name='Rocko']Uh, seriously?[/QUOTE]

The year is 1982.....notice how a new video game system cost the same then as it does today, but everything else on the list is at least 50% cheaper...in other words, videogames wuz EXPENSIVE back then, so yeah..getting a new game cartridge was a very big deal. All your friends would come over to play..and play...and play. When you guys look back and wonder at how you could play freakin ASTEROIDS or PAC MAN for months at a time and not grow insanely bored, thats part of the reason why. Its not like today, where you get a new game every week..that took 4 years to develop..that you finish in 6 hours or one sitting and then never play again. :p

Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 1046
Average Cost of new house $82,200.00
Average Income per year $21,050.00
Average Monthly Rent $320.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 91 cents
New Car Average price $7,983.00
US Postage Stamp 20 cents
Comic Book $.35 cents
Vic 20 $299.95
Colecovision $199.99

Let me rephrase that.

[quote name='HeadRusch']so all you guys buying $1000 TV's at the age of 15 can go suck it, you spoiled pieces of human garbage :)[/QUOTE]
Uh, seriously?

I was able to snag a 37 inch Olevia at target 2 years ago for $450. The best deals come around black friday, in terms of TVs.

[quote name='willardhaven']A Panasonic 42" 720p Plasma (Plasma is better for gaming if you ask me) is around $700 nowadays.
smile.gif
[/quote]
Yeah they don't cost too much anymore.. And the price will keep dropping.

Well $60 in 82 was more than it is now. If you adjusted for inflation, new games should probably be more than $60.

Hang out on slickdeals and you will come across clearance gems. I bought a 32" westinghouse 720p LCD set a few months ago for $275 on clearance from Best Buy.

My history:

2003 - Phillips 30" CRT HDTV - $700
2006 - Sharp Aquos 720p 32" LCD - $999
2006 - Westinghouse 720p 32" LCD - $700
2007 - Samsung 720p 40" LCD - $1000

I'd like to know why BR players are so expensive. They've seem to have gone up in price recently. So much for a bad economy.

They're not that expensive if you're an adult and have a decent job, and as people have mentioned prices have been dropping pretty quickly.

I got a 50" Sony LCD RPTV for $999.99 last summer, and I've seen a lot of good deals this fall. I could never go back to anything under 50"

My History is Sony 27" Wega back in 1999 or 2000 for $599.99 and then this 50" set for $999.99.

If you're a high school kid or something it's a lot of money. But still if you can find a part time job you have no rent, utility bills etc. to pay since you live at home so you can save up the money pretty quickly even on a low paying job.

TVs are a luxury item, that's why.

currently rocking out a 1080p 60" Sony that was about $1700. Sold my 4 year old 50" 720p Hitachi for about $500 to cover some of that.

[quote name='JolietJake']Well $60 in 82 was more than it is now. If you adjusted for inflation, new games should probably be more than $60.[/QUOTE]

There are other factors. The biggest one is the size of the market. Development budgets have skyrocketed but so have the rewards for a hit game.

In 1982 the typical game cartridge was an 8 to 16 kilobyte mask ROM. Even though royalty fees weren't a factor yet, manufacturing was the single biggest cost in getting a game on store shelves. Development costs were miniscule. The tiny size of the carts meant there wasn't that much that could be done. Most titles were entirely done by a single person producing the code, graphics, and sound. Occasionally there would be a two-person team dividing the chores. If the company had a fulltime professional artist on staff it was more often for packaging and promotional material rather than anything in the game.

So development costs were extremely low by today's standards. Nearly all of the capital investment came at manufacturing time. In the case of original content the creator might not even be a fulltime employee of the company, especially for an original title that wouldn't be shown to a publisher until it was mostly completed.

If anything, games are priced higher than they should be. Most publishers are geared for titles that make the bulk of their profits withing three months of release. Lower prices with higher volumes are effective in many cases but most publishers don't believe their products have long term value. But as the market continues to expand and distribution costs drop the prices of games should come in closer alignment to theatrical films.

I can afford a nice HDTV, I have a lot of money in savings, but I'm just too cheap honestly. For the games I play, mostly RPGs, it just don't really seem worth it right now.

Yeah, whether it's worth it is all relative. I watch a decent amount of TV, a lot of sports and a lot of movies, on top of doing some gaming. So a big HDTV was a crucial purchase for me and well worth it as it vastly enhanced my enjoyment of several of my main hobbies.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I can afford a nice HDTV, I have a lot of money in savings, but I'm just too cheap honestly. For the games I play, mostly RPGs, it just don't really seem worth it right now.[/quote]

Enchanted Arms in HD!

[quote name='Pookymeister']TVs are a luxury item, that's why.[/quote]

I'm surprised that point wasn't made earlier on.

My history:
2006 - Samsung 720p 32" LCD - $1340
2007 - Samsung 1080p 42" LCD - $1099

I wouldn't really say that HDTV's are expensive as they have definitely come down in price over the past few years. You just need to be patient and wait for what you would deem a comfortable price point.

My mom bought my sister & stepdad each a 32" 720p LCD for xmas, $300 each from Target. Brand is AOC, some no-name crap, but still... they're cheap.

You can easily get a 32 inch LCD for under $400, I got mine for $300 a couple years ago. You can easily get a 42 inch for under $600, and I've seen them under $500.

Back when I was broke and HDTV's were fairly new, I used a component to VGA adapter to use my original Xbox and HD cable box with my large CRT computer monitor. You can find those pretty cheap now.

They're not expensive. Around $500-700 for a 32" set. I think the problem is there is no cheap 26" set in the $400 range. Sure you can find ones on clearance, but than you have to actively be looking and waiting with the cash available. If you're a teen, just suck it up, or go get a job and than buy your own television.

[quote name='Thongsy']They're not expensive. Around $500-700 for a 32" set. I think the problem is there is no cheap 26" set in the $400 range. Sure you can find ones on clearance, but than you have to actively be looking and waiting with the cash available. If you're a teen, just suck it up, or go get a job and than buy your own television.[/QUOTE]

26" for $279: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc..._Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

They're definitely cheap in the smaller sizes--especially if you're ok with the bargain brands. Which are certainly fine for high school and college budgets and living arrangements.

I bought a 67" LED DLP for $1830 in July 2008. I wouldn't call that expensive for a 67" set.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Enchanted Arms in HD![/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Games like Valkyria Chronicles and Eternal Sonata already look great on my Sony Wega, so yeah... Plus HD makes old-school RPGs look like shit. I have a 20" LCD in my dorm and it makes 2D PSone RPGs look like ass.

That is true. I ditched my Wii and PS2 shortly after getting an HDTV in part because they looked pretty bad with a few exceptions. Though the bigger reason was they just weren't getting touched as I was playing the 360 for all my gaming time and knew I'd never even get around to all the 360 games I'd like to play so I might as well unclutter the home theater and make a bit of cash.

[quote name='gsr']I bought a 67" LED DLP for $1830 in July 2008. I wouldn't call that expensive for a 67" set.[/QUOTE]

If you had a 67" section of wall in need of repair, it would cost a major portion of $1830 to get it repaired. And what would you have to show for it besides a plain wall? That money didn't just buy a TV. It alleviated your home decorating concerns for a quite significant portion of the joint.

A bargain, I say.

[quote name='gsr']I bought a 67" LED DLP for $1830 in July 2008. I wouldn't call that expensive for a 67" set.[/QUOTE]

DLPs are a great value (as are RPTVs). I recently sold a 56" DLP on Craigslist, with a stand, for $400. The guy that bought it sold his 32" LCD on Craigslist for $400 and upgraded to my DLP. Used CRTs are great values as well.

Expensive!? how the hell do you figure that? (OP)

I have a 28in. 1080p monitor and for what I paid I could probably easily get a 40in. 1080p tv these days.

HDTVs are crazy cheap. I got my 56" Samsung DLP for $1,100 brand new (over a year ago.) I'm sure it would be even cheaper now.

I remember back in the day spending almost $400 for a small 27" tube tv. The price of technology has dropped drastically.

bread's done
Back