Kroger Bargain Bin HD-DVDs

Jeremy O'Brien

CAG Veteran
Long time reader, first time poster here. I searched and I didn't see this anywhere yet so I thought I'd try and give something back to the community that has saved me so much money.

For whatever reason, Kroger is currently carrying HD DVDs in their bargain bins for 4-8 dollars a pop. I can't remember all of them but the ones I can are as follows:

Accepted
Alpha Dog
An American Werewolf in London
Animal House
Army of Darkness
Balls of Fury
Breach
The Breakfast Club
The Breakup
Children Of Men
Dazed and Confused
Eastern Promises
Elizabeth
Evan Almighty
The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fearlesss
The Good Shepard
Half Baked
Hollywoodland
Hot Fuzz
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
The Kingdom
Miami Vice
Slither
Smokin Aces
Unleashed
You, Me, and Dupree

I'm sure there were more, this is just from memory. If I can remember more, I'll post them. I went to two on the east side of Cincinnati, btw.

Whoa, nice catch. There are definitely some titles I want there. Mind if I ask exactly which locations you saw them, and where in the store? I live in Anderson Township, near the "big Kroger" :)

Thats crazy, I live in Beechmont, right by St. Thomas Moore church. You are only five minutes away! Haha. Anyways, this was at the Eastgate Kroger (by Borders) and the Mt. Carmel Kroger (Old 74). I didn't check the one by Anderson Towne Center or the Amelia location, or for that matter the Mt. Washington Kroger.

Anyways, the two I went to were pretty well stocked on most of them. A few they only had one or two copies of though.

Picked up in Mishawaka, Indiana for $5.99:

-Slither
-Hollywoodland
-Hot Fuzz
-Alpha Dog

Thanks OP!

I work at for Kroger and can tell you all that they should be in most stores. They're sitting in a tiny shipper somewhere in each store. They should be located close to the big "Blowout!" bins.

I managed to pick up An American Werewolf in London. It was the only one that interested me out of the selection at my nearest Kroger store. There is one other that I could check. Kroger bought out the scotts stores in my area. I wonder if they would have these HD-DVDs as well?

I've never even seen HDDVDs at my local Kroger. Would they get some even if they've never had any before? I might have to go check when I get off work.

[quote name='blackhole82']I've never even seen HDDVDs at my local Kroger. Would they get some even if they've never had any before? I might have to go check when I get off work.[/QUOTE]

I had never seen any there before either. I'm guessing since they are located in this "Blowout!" bins they bought they cheap after Blu won the war and are just trying to make a quick dollar. Whatever the reason, it worked I picked up about five when I went in.

I just got back from a Kroger in Kentucky and they had these HD-DVDs. One thing I've not seen mentioned is that ALL of the available movies are Combo format discs, so they can be played on a standard DVD player as well. I took some photos so I could compile a complete list. I didn't get pricing on all of them, but this is a complete list of everything that was available in my store:

Alpha Dog - $5.99
An American Werewolf in London - $3.99
Army of Darkness - $6.99
Atonement
Balls of Fury
Breach
The Break-Up - $5.99
Breakfast Club - $3.99
Brokeback Mountain - $5.99
Children of Men - $5.99
Dazed and Confused - $3.99
Eastern Promises - $5.99
Elizabeth: Golden Age - $7.99
Evan Almighty - $6.99
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
George Romero's Land of the Dead - $7.99
The Good Shepherd
Half Baked: Fully Baked Edition - $3.99
The Hitcher - $3.99
Hollywoodland
Hot Fuzz - $5.99
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
Jet Li's Fearless - $5.99
The Kingdom - $5.99
Miami Vice
Mr. Bean's Holiday
National Lampoon's Animal House - $3.99
The Scorpion King - $3.99
Slither - $5.99
Smokin' Aces
Talk to Me
Unleashed - $4.99
Waist Deep
You, Me and Dupree

Most movies were $5.99, with the high being $7.99 and t he low $3.99. My store did not have Accepted, which is a shame because I wanted to pick that one up.

Edit - Added Brokeback Mountain and pricing on Scorpion King.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mjoinir, where in Kentucky was this Kroger located? I wouldn't mind having Land of the Dead and since in live in Cincinnati, its only a 10 minute drive to northern Kentucky.

Jeremy O'Brien;5334422]Mjoinir said:
I'm all the way down in Lexington. They had several (at least 5 or 6) copies of it though, so I'd be very surprised if other stores didn't have it as well. You may want to just check another store in your area or right across the river?

Nice, I was just about to head to a Kroger in NC to pick up some groceries. I'll check it out and report back!

Edit: Went to one Kroger in Durham, NC. No HD-DVDs, but a pretty nice assortment of overpriced standard DVDs. Thanks anyway, OP, I'll keep checking around here!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IvanHood']Nice, I was just about to head to a Kroger in NC to pick up some groceries. I'll check it out and report back!

Edit: Went to one Kroger in Durham, NC. No HD-DVDs, but a pretty nice assortment of overpriced standard DVDs. Thanks anyway, OP, I'll keep checking around here![/QUOTE]

I checked two others stores in Lexington and neither of them had them out. I spoke to one lady who said the display was in the back and they just haven't put it out yet. So, we may just be getting in on this very early and most stores haven't put them out yet.

Half Baked for 3.99? Damn it, I hope Fry's does this. It'd be the best media purchase in a grocery store since I found Super Dodgeball Advance for 7.99 in a Fry's Marketplace.

I stopped by the Kroger in Independence, KY after I picked up my kid from the babysitter, and they didn't have any. Was going to stop by the Anderson Town Center location but decided to call first-- the person I talked to didn't think they had 'em yet but said there is a truck coming in tomorrow that might bring some in.
I'll try the 2 locations the OP mentioned tomorrow.

I checked in the one near me in dallas and they didnt have any out.

Ill give em a few days. My hd-a30 disc drive just took a dump, so i've gotta get that fixed first!

Great find!! Over the past few months I pretty much gave up on adding anything to my HD collection, but found Hollywoodland, Tokyo Drift, Breach, & Good Shepard @ my local Kroger in Columbus, OH. The store had a bunch of other stuff already listed in this thread, mixed in with a bunch of regular DVDs. I remember when I paid $34.99 for Miami Vice & Eastern Promises @ Best Buy over a year ago, you win some and lose some...

[quote name='keiblerfan69']My Smith's(owned by Kroger) out here in Vegas has them too, I picked up Fast and the Furious it was 5.99.[/QUOTE]

Which Smith's in Vegas? I may have to check it out, I wouldn't mind getting Fearless for $6.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Which Smith's in Vegas? I may have to check it out, I wouldn't mind getting Fearless for $6.[/quote]

The store on Valle Verde off the 215. I didn't see Fearless there.

I too have Kroger's in my reach(Bloomfield) - Michigander's please update with finds in the area!

if people are awaiting confirmation for michigan and they have some within a 10 mile radius, take the step and go yourself and report back. why would you not go yourself and just sit and await confirmation? seems silly to me. if i had a krogers within my radius i would go but i dont.

[quote name='Animal7390']if people are awaiting confirmation for michigan and they have some within a 10 mile radius, take the step and go yourself and report back. why would you not go yourself and just sit and await confirmation? seems silly to me. if i had a krogers within my radius i would go but i dont.[/quote]

Being dependent on other people driving you a good answer?

Which one did you go to? I went to the one at 25 & Dequindre. No luck. I'll swing by others over the next week and see.

[quote name='mick16']Which one did you go to? I went to the one at 25 & Dequindre. No luck. I'll swing by others over the next week and see.[/QUOTE]

Southgate , they are in cardboard bins near the books .

[quote name='Mjolnir']I'm all the way down in Lexington. They had several (at least 5 or 6) copies of it though, so I'd be very surprised if other stores didn't have it as well. You may want to just check another store in your area or right across the river?[/QUOTE]
Mjolnir, Which Lexington stores did you see these. I'm in Frankfort and will be in Lexington Thursday?? The reason I ask is there is a ton of Krogers in Lexington.
Thanks
D

The Hyde Park Kroger didn't have them yet either, so I went to the Mt. Carmel location the OP mentioned, and-- Great Success! Picked up Dazed & Confused and Half Baked for $3.99 each, and got Hot Fuzz for $5.99.

Could have bought more, but I had to take it easy since I have about 12 or 13 HD-DVDs coming from that place that had free shipping if you spent $50.

[quote name='[email protected]']Mjolnir, Which Lexington stores did you see these. I'm in Frankfort and will be in Lexington Thursday?? The reason I ask is there is a ton of Krogers in Lexington.
Thanks
D[/QUOTE]

You're in luck, as it is one of the closer stores to Frankfort. They are definitely in the store on Leestown Rd. near New Circle. They are not (or were not yet as of yesterday) in the stores on the north side of town along New Circle Rd. near Bryan Station and Old Paris Pike. I've not checked the other stores yet.

Also, I went back today and the Leestown Rd. had one copy of Brokeback Mountain that I must have missed yesterday. It was $5.99.

Jeremy O'Brien;5332282]Thats crazy said:
My brother called me after he went to the Mt. Washington Kroger to tell me they have them. He was all excited about it & bought 6 of them just because he wanted the standard DVD.

I think I might be able to talk him into getting an HD-DVD player now to put next to his Blu-ray player.

[quote name='keiblerfan69']The store on Valle Verde off the 215. I didn't see Fearless there.[/quote]

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Which Smith's in Vegas? I may have to check it out, I wouldn't mind getting Fearless for $6.[/quote]

The Smith's I went to on Vegas and Jones had several copies of Fearless for $5.99. I picked up:

Half Baked-$3.99
The Hitcher-$3.99

[quote name='rexflexall']The Smith's I went to on Vegas and Jones had several copies of Fearless for $5.99. I picked up:

Half Baked-$3.99
The Hitcher-$3.99[/QUOTE]

Was it the old C.Thomas Howell Hitcher ?
AKA the better one .

[quote name='rexflexall']The Smith's I went to on Vegas and Jones had several copies of Fearless for $5.99. I picked up:

Half Baked-$3.99
The Hitcher-$3.99[/quote]

Good to know.

[quote name='Richlough']Was it the old C.Thomas Howell Hitcher ?
AKA the better one .[/quote]

Nah it was the newer one. I like Sophia Bush. But yah, I heard the movie's not the greatest. But for $3.99 combo disc I figure I'd take the chance.

bread's done
Back