Qosmio X305-Q705 opinions?

shnizzle66

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My family had to celebrate christmas a bit later this year since we were out of the country. I got a Toshiba Qosmio X305-Q705 laptop and the first thing I did was try to check the specs, and once I saw them I felt slightly bummed out. Im building a desktop PC sometime this year (maybe), but if I can get a laptop that will compete for a good 3-4 years at least then I would probably hold off on the desktop and wait for the i7 to get a bit cheaper.

The person that gave me the gift says they went to BB and asked for the most powerful gaming laptop they had and this is what they gave her. Kind of hard to believe, but it's BB...Overall it's pretty badass, I like the flames on it and the feel of it its just that the processor speed and graphic card is worrying to me because I plan on gaming a LOT (TF2, Oblivion, Far Cry2, Fallout 3, etc...) and I need this thing to keep up for a while. Would overclocking be enough or should I try to find a 706 or something?

That processor speed (Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz) seems subpar relative to the rest of the setup (4GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM, discrete GPU with 512MB dedicated RAM, 7200rpm HDD). I'd think they'd put a minimum 2.4 GHz dual-core CPU in a getup like that.

Are Toshiba's easy to overclock? That wouldn't be a bad idea if they are--only problem is there's probably not much you can do for heat in a laptop other than whatever cooling is stock, so I doubt you can take the CPU too high.

In any case, I don't think TF2 will have problems with your setup. The "benchmark" games I'm not so sure about.

Yeah, im worried about the serious graphics heavy games since I usually just won't play a game if I cant run it on high, it's not worth it.

Im downloading demos for a few games Id install on here If I keep this thing. If its too bad, then Ill wipe this thing clean and take it back to best buy just to upgrade for a better model.

I doubt it will handle the big name benchmark games on high. TF2 on high may even be tough at 2.0GHz. I don't know though as I really don't care where my sliders are, I just let the game decide.

If you're exchanging it for something bigger and nastier, I doubt BB will give you any shit about the return. Probably wise to do if you want to get some mileage out of it.

that's a nice, thoughtful gift. But I would probably return it. Especially if you are debating building a desktop. Price to performance wise, the desktop is going to blow the x305 away.
I just don't see this laptop being able to game new releases 2-3 years from now. Even if you stepped up to the 706 with the p8400 processor.
You could try running a 3dmark to see how it stands. But if you aren't happy with how it handles fallout 3, it's only going to get worse.

just ran some benchmark tests on it and...well, eek. That was dreadful. I scored a 3620 on the CPU test and a 2270 on the graphics test.

Apperently thsi was THE most powerful thing Best Buy had. Not sure what I should do...

At 10lbs? Just get a desktop... laptops aren't meant for gaming, they're meant for portability. Why get something that's neither conveniently portable nor great for gaming? I never understand that... unless, like, you're always traveling back and forth from somewhere and just want to move it from one desk to another pretty often. It's more mobile than it is portable, so to speak.

That's one hell of a gift, though. A $1,000 present? Jeez. If I received such a generous gift I'd feel pretty bad about exchanging it.. I'd feel like it sent a "I don't like it" message to the giver.

I would probably go with the gateway, I think it has a little bit better graphics card. Ten pounds isn't awful for a 17 incher, I remember that my old thinkpad was like 8 pounds and it had a 14 inch screen.:)

bread's done
Back