1up officially bought by UGO. Goodbye EGM :(

While I'm extremely saddened the magazine is now gone, I really hope the podcasts survive, 1UP Yours atleast.

As much as I love getting information from the internet, the slow death of print makes me a Sad Panda.

Here's hoping the podcasts survive.

As long as their podcasts survive, I'm OK. I rarely visit 1up's website, and the only gaming mag I read is GameInformer, which I get "free" with the edge card from Gamestop.

I subscribed to EGM back in the day when it was great. Now I just get it because it's free. It was great back in the day, then it declined, and now it wasn't half bad. I still have EGM #1 somewhere at home.

I'll miss getting something to read on the shitter every month.

It was the hurst company, not ugo.

1up will likely survive.

I'm guessing the Games Blog at UGO will be dissolved and whatever link they had setup for that will redirect to 1up.

Yeah EGM used to be great long ago, then all of a sudden it changed several years ago. They started acting childish especially in their response to letters, and it felt like they were just trying to go for a younger gaming audience.

It sucks since I have a free subscription running till like 2012 hopefully they can transfer over that sub to something else. Similar to when PC accelerator and the official DC mag died they transferred the rest of my sub to gamepro.

Its all about the podcasts for me. I do have a bad feeling though. I still haven't gotten over Jeff Green and Shawn Elliot's departure. Sad day

So what was the point of them buying 1up if they get rid of anything worth reading on the site?

Oh, and fuck UGO

See, this is where they are going to start messing things up. As much as I enjoy EGM, its death is understandable. HOWEVER, when they fire respected staff, reviewers, and community voices, (such as Ryan ODonnel) and eliminate online favorites such as the 1UP Show (which, without him, is effectively dead too, I'm sure), then they start messing with what the audience of 1up.com visits for and people will start getting pissed at UGO, and this whole buyout will not go over well. Bad move there, UGO. Keep the respected staff who have followers!
Fellow CAGs, what are your opinions?

I'm not surprised, I was expecting this to happen sooner or latter. I wonder what magazines we'll be able to transfer our subscriptions to.

Maybe they'll get 1up to redesign their site. I never go there, their homepage has always looked like a mess to me.

I'm really really bummed about this. EGM is the only video game print magazine I read and I look forward to it every single month. I've been getting it for over 10 years now and I'm definitely going to miss it.

Dude, this totally sucks. EGM wasn't the greatest anymore, but it wasn't that bad either. From various other failures of Ziff Davis, I kept rolling my subs from other deaths onto EGM to the point I still have (had) another 19 issues. Now I'm going to have to find something else to roll that onto and pray to god that ZD doesn't kill that too. Seriously, this is all ZD's mis-management having destroyed everything. I don't even care about 1up.com as I would visit it only once a week for one thing and one thing only for the past 2+ years: 1up Yours!!! The death of that is really what's most saddening. I still miss GFW Radio because Jeff Green was awesome. And now they can their podcasts and staff? fuck em. Wonder if UGO realizes they bought a turd. Hope they got it for dirt f'n cheap...

When will publishers realize that I don't want to get all my information on the internet??? Yeah, I can get up to date news, but it's more comfortable to be able to lounge and read reviews comfortably not at a desk...

Although EGM hasn't put out any really good issues since the first quarter of 2003 (that was when they had a major redesign and watered down the magazine) it's still sad to see a mag I've been reading for so long get canned.

this sucks! i always enjoyed visiting 1up and listening to the Sports Anomaly, 1up yours and 1up FM and even the 1up Show! now most of those dudes are laid off this is just horrible.

UGO had the chance to make their own site better with the addition of 1up, but it seems that they're just ripping apart 1up instead and tossing it in the garbage.

Why buy 1up if your just going to fire everyone there. Haven't had a video game mag in years but I listen to one of there podcast every day. And I've stuck with GFW radio after the loss of Jeff Greene. I hope they keep the podcast.

Pretty much, and it seems Shane got fired. So I'm guessing everyone who worked on a podcast got fired. I don't get it. They could've made 1up so much bigger with the people there, but they're tossing them aside for the dumbasses they have now? Are they crazy?

Can someone please confirm 1UP Yours being canned? I've seen reports of a few podcasts, and other websites that UGO purchased, but someone please confirm his (I will be in total denial otherwise...)

I can't say I'll miss the magazine that much. It was laughably thin with less content every issue. I will my 1up yours and Retronauts podcasts, though. A lot.

EGM was decent in the mid 90s, but its bee crap for a long time. I guess its back to reading Uncle John's Bathroom reader on the can

Damn, that sucks. I'm with the others wondering if our subs will be switched over to other mags. Thanks to GFW closing and switching over to my EGM, plus all the free subs, I've got nearly 12 more years of the damned thing...

Thankfully Game Informer is still around. That's really the only non-internet source I need (EGM was for the can...)

[quote name='KingBroly']Pretty much, and it seems Shane got fired. So I'm guessing everyone who worked on a podcast got fired. I don't get it. They could've made 1up so much bigger with the people there, but they're tossing them aside for the dumbasses they have now? Are they crazy?[/quote]
It seems that pretty much every fear we had all along about 1UP being sold has come to fruition. 1UP Yours was a hell of a show. Garnet Lee & Mangod should really be proud of what the show did over it's time. I'll miss you, 1UP Yours.:cry::cry::cry:

If they get rid of the podcasts they are fuckin stupid. 1up yours and fm were the reason I liked 1up and why I went to the site for reviews, I knew where the writer was coming from and could hear discussions of it later.

I don't know much about podcast/website economics (my understanding is that 1up was making a profit and tied down mainly by EGM), but I hope all of the former 1up guys make a new site and prove that it's the content that people care about (look at the success of giantbomb).

So far this seems reminiscent of the G4 takeover of TechTV which means I will purposely never go to a 1up site ever again.

Podcasts are done. I don't know what I'm going to do without 1UP Yours every Friday, this sucks :(

Really sorry for all the guys and gals that are getting let go. They did awesome work.

UGO run by dumbasses confirmed.

It seems like they just wanted the URL name more than anything. They're completely ripping EGM to shreds and throwing it away as if to spit in the face of all the fans of the show.

bread's done
Back