Hey Wombat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salami Inferno

CAG Veteran
Remember how you said you would love to have a job where you just told gaming companies what they were doing wrong? Tell your company that buying 1up and hollowing it out so that everything that made that place worth visiting is gone is a bad decision. There's a reason they had a large readership, and it was the people that worked there, not the name.

I don't know if one of UGO's freelancers would have any impact on the big wigs that decide how to spend the big bucks, but yeah.. i guess he could try and give it a shot, although those guys that have already been laid off, probably wouldn't come back now anyway.

Yeah it would be a good idea but the only people that decide where that money goes are the dudes who have it...butt loads of it

Too bad they cut loose all their freelance writers in addition to purging half of 1Up. The videogame industry has always been volatile, but with the recession it's just going to get worse, and I think this is just the primer. Good thing Wombat didn't quit his day job - I wish I could say the same for the guys who used to be at 1Up. :(

[quote name='Salami Inferno']Remember how you said you would love to have a job where you just told gaming companies what they were doing wrong? Tell your company that buying 1up and hollowing it out so that everything that made that place worth visiting is gone is a bad decision. There's a reason they had a large readership, and it was the people that worked there, not the name.[/QUOTE]

Don't blame UGO, blame Ziff. Ziff Davis was the company that actually did all the firing. UGO gave a group of people jobs who would otherwise now be unemployed. Go read Sam Kennedy's 1up blog if you don't believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back