- - - - -

pelican system selector pro $40 YMMV

#1 minqqq   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:32 PM

don't know if it's been posted, but i did a search and didn't find anything. gamestop B&M has system selector pros clearanced at $40. it may still say $80 but have them price check cause it's 50% off, and some do have a 50% off sticker. sweet find, been wanting this for a while and i still have to pick mine up.

#2 zewone   Thursday CAGiversary!   43156 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:35 PM

Cool. I'll have to check for myself.

#3 NeoGutsman   CAG Backlogger CAGiversary!   1635 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:29 AM

I stopped by one of the GameStops in my area and I had them do a price check in the computer for one. Unfortunately, it still popped up as $79.99. Was this a special markdown that needed to be manually keyed in for this product?

#4 JasonTerminator   Not a psychopath! CAGiversary!   2588 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

JasonTerminator

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:01 AM

Goddamn, and I just bought one for $80 last week.

That's a damn good deal for people who want it. It's pretty high quality for Pelican.

#5 avatar   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   1 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:37 PM

same here. Had them scan it in store and it rang up full price. Can anyone else confirm this deal?

#6 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22416 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:39 PM

This thing works like it is supposed to but the lack of a remote control is annoying beyond belief. You have to get up and switch the thing manually every single time... god I'm lazy...

#7 scdoanintendo   Nintendo = Gaming CAGiversary!   2208 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

scdoanintendo

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:47 PM

I bought one two days ago, and it was $80. They don't have a 30 day price match guarantee do they?

#8 weaponx666   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   98 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

weaponx666

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:56 PM

This thing works like it is supposed to but the lack of a remote control is annoying beyond belief. You have to get up and switch the thing manually every single time... god I'm lazy...

Um, if this unit used remote to switch inputs, quality of signal would be shit. Since it uses hardware switches (making you get up to change the input), quality is good. What would u rather have?

#9 Ledhed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9213 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:58 PM

I bought one two days ago, and it was $80. They don't have a 30 day price match guarantee do they?

Nopers. And they're still $80 at my GS. Looks to be major YMMV.

#10 tornadomann   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

tornadomann

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:00 PM

I got a switcher similar to the Pelican at BB. They run $35 there. It doesnt work too bad.

#11 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22416 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:01 PM

Um, if this unit used remote to switch inputs, quality of signal would be shit. Since it uses hardware switches (making you get up to change the input), quality is good. What would u rather have?

I'm honestly not sure...

#12 Kayden   Banned Banned   17673 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:02 PM

I got a 4 system auto switch from lik-sang.com for like $14. It works great. My TV has three AV ins, my VCR has 2 and my switcher has 4... and I still don't have room for them all

#13 LV-426RS   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1655 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

LV-426RS

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:05 PM

It's a no-go the the GS in Louisville by J-mall also.

#14 Ledhed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9213 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:35 PM

I got a 4 system auto switch from lik-sang.com for like $14. It works great. My TV has three AV ins, my VCR has 2 and my switcher has 4... and I still don't have room for them all

Still though, the Pelican version has it's own power supply, which makes a huge difference in picture quality. You get what you pay for.

#15 Gojtron   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1170 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:40 PM

This is the component one, right?

#16 Snowcone   Master of Snackbar Games CAGiversary!   570 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:41 PM

How do you figure? The ones that people buy for high bandwidth component switching use a form of automatic switching and their quality is much better than Pelican, although a lot more expensive

AA 1154 ($194): http://www.audioauth...mers/1154c.html
Zektor HDS4 ($299): http://www.zektor.com/hds4/index.htm

#17 shipwreck   CAG Reviews Editor Super Moderators   7576 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:44 PM

Yep, you get what you pay for and the Pelican is still cheap when compared to other component switches. There is some quality loss with the Pelican, but I still happily bought one of these for $100 when these things first came out. I'm happy with it for now, but eventually I'll be upgrading to a better quality switch and it will have a remote. For $40 though, this thing would be a steal.

#18 NeoGutsman   CAG Backlogger CAGiversary!   1635 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:30 PM

Yeah, I made the mistake of buying an S-video switcher from BB (also found at GameCrazy) made by Intec. It also came with a remote and is powered by an AC adapter. Anyway, I hooked up my GameCube to it using S-video. The switcher didn't recognize the GameCube video signal at first, and I didn't see anything on my TV until just after the GameCube logo finished its animation. Not only that, the colors bled, and I got some feedback with the sound.

I don't recommend the Intec video switcher. I have an old S-video switcher from ASCI that I bought from NCS in 1998, and it worked far better than the Intec one. Of course, it has no remote and is not powered, but for general gaming it worked terrific.

I'm still going to get the Pelican one eventually, as I've heard numerous good things about it. I already returned the Intec switcher and got a refund. I don't necessarily regret trying it out, as I feel I "took one for the team." ;)

#19 Kayden   Banned Banned   17673 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:34 PM

Still though, the Pelican version has it's own power supply, which makes a huge difference in picture quality. You get what you pay for.

Mine has its own power supply too... although, the ac adapter it came with was fora funky foreign outlet... I used another one I had. works great and I dont notice any quality loss... I'm not going to check either, because if I don't notice it, it wont bother me.

#20 tokerblue   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   480 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

tokerblue

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:06 PM

You probably won't notice any loss in video quality if you are using S-Video or Component in 480p. You probably will notice a difference if you are using the Pelican switcher to pass 720p or 1080i signals. It simply doesn't have the bandwidth to pass the HD signals.

#21 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49869 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:37 PM

I think when I have the scratch handy for a really good HDTV, a system switcher will be small potatoes to what I get for the TV. :D

For now, RCA will suffice for me. Best my 6 year old TV will do. And I don't think I'm going to replace it until it dies.

#22 cruzincontrol   Angry Homer is Angry CAGiversary!   918 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

cruzincontrol

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:07 PM

I have the basic Pelican system selector which I bought for $20 (not this Pro)...Is it worth the $40 to make the switch??

#23 gamegeizer   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   46 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

gamegeizer

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:14 PM

Gamestop sells a 4 switch system for $ 25.00 that includes RCA Video, S Video, Ethernet Video, and Componet video. It is there own brand. I believe it uses AC current. So for the price it is pretty good.

#24 munch   la tête de CAG CAGiversary!   19476 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 01:48 AM

I went to GS and looked like a retard. Thanks OP. . . .j/k. man i wish this deal would have worked, but it was worth a shot. Good find for the OP though.

#25 minqqq   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:13 AM

i found the deal at a GS in bloomingdale, IL and i went and checked the other GS in bloomingdale and it was also for 40 there. the guy there told me that it was being discountinued so they were clearancing it out. i will check others around me to see and maybe i can pick some up for you guys that can't get it.

#26 minos1067   Remember 'Game Stuff'? CAGiversary!   628 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:23 AM

definitely worth it if you have a home theater system that supports dts/dolby digital and a tv with component video. no matter what size tv you have, component video is the way to go. i've had my pelican for maybe a year now. the only problem is it only supports upto 4 optical sources. it is pretty fragile too so don't be gettin all pissed off when you loose and knuckle a button.

#27 mkelehan   Xbox Live Arcade Fiend CAGiversary!   2469 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

mkelehan

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:49 AM

You can get this with the GameStop logo on it instead of Pelican (although the underside still says Pelican) for $25, at least in MD. I have one.

#28 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   3673 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:54 AM

My Gamestop doesnt have any more. Maybe they were on sale and sold out.

#29 Celes   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   104 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:03 AM

Is there one that supports RF?

#30 Johnny Postman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1038 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Johnny Postman

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:14 AM

Can also confirm the System Selector Pro for $40 but YMMV. Went to buy this from a couple GameStops today and was prepared to pay $80 but they only had the silver one. Found a black one at the 3rd store and surprise was 50% off. :-)

They also had a ton of older PC games at half price along with a couple of other steals I snatched up - the Pelican Silent Scope Light rifle and the Belkin N52 speed pad. You might want to check your local GS for these if interested.