- - - - -

pelican system selector pro $40 YMMV

#31 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19941 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:18 AM

Is there a link for this?

#32 Ledhed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9213 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:20 AM

Is there one that supports RF?

I believe there is an RF input on the Pelican model, but that kind of defeats the purpose of it.

#33 rapsodist   My Heart Is a 16-Bit Chip CAGiversary!   3122 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:27 AM

Can also confirm the System Selector Pro for $40 but YMMV. Went to buy this from a couple GameStops today and was prepared to pay $80 but they only had the silver one. Found a black one at the 3rd store and surprise was 50% off. :-)

They also had a ton of older PC games at half price along with a couple of other steals I snatched up - the Pelican Silent Scope Light rifle and the Belkin N52 speed pad. You might want to check your local GS for these if interested.

Might the clearance only be on the black SSP? Could those who have found the clearance price confirm whether the SSPs were black only?

Is there a link for this?

The OP already said that this clearance was for B&M.

#34 ZForce915   Group hug! CAGiversary!   6444 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:44 AM

I'd like to buy something like this and I have a question for those of you that have them already.

I'm going to set up a TV with an NES (top loader) that will connect in the back because there is no av hookup for that system and the following systems:

Genesis
SNES
N64
Playstation 1

Knowing that none of these systems are too graphic-intesive, what type of system selector would you recommend?

#35 clariste   Holy diver... CAGiversary!   956 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:52 AM

I know very little about home theater jargon and schematics, so someone tell me why I wouldn't want to buy this:

http://www.walmart.c...duct_id=2233631

instead of an $80 model, or even a $40 model. Thanks.

#36 rapsodist   My Heart Is a 16-Bit Chip CAGiversary!   3122 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:07 AM

I know very little about home theater jargon and schematics, so someone tell me why I wouldn't want to buy this:

http://www.walmart.c...duct_id=2233631

instead of an $80 model, or even a $40 model. Thanks.

Basically, there are four types of video inputs currently in use. In order from lowest quality to highest quality, they are RF (which is all but obsolete now), composite aka RCA (the standard yellow, white and red), S-Video, and component.

The device that you linked can handle the first three input types I listed, but the device discussed in the OP can also handle component inputs, as well as optical audio and ethernet. If you don't use component video, then you probably don't need the System Selector Pro.

#37 clariste   Holy diver... CAGiversary!   956 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:16 AM

Thanks raps

#38 LV-426RS   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1655 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

LV-426RS

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:09 PM

Clariste, I have that model and have had no problems at all out of it.

#39 weaponx666   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   98 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

weaponx666

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:13 PM

I got a 4 system auto switch from lik-sang.com for like $14. It works great. My TV has three AV ins, my VCR has 2 and my switcher has 4... and I still don't have room for them all

Still though, the Pelican version has it's own power supply, which makes a huge difference in picture quality. You get what you pay for.

Mine has its own power supply too... although, the ac adapter it came with was fora funky foreign outlet... I used another one I had. works great and I dont notice any quality loss... I'm not going to check either, because if I don't notice it, it wont bother me.

Not to be a d1ck, but the power supply has nothing to do with picture quality. It is simply to power the LEDs that backlight the switches. The Pelican is good (I have one) but I saw an analysis on a home theater site once and they said signla quality is only good up to 480p. It's bad for 720p or 1080i. I'll try to find the link. They did a pretty thorough review and knew what they were talking about.

#40 weaponx666   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   98 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

weaponx666

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:14 PM

You probably won't notice any loss in video quality if you are using S-Video or Component in 480p. You probably will notice a difference if you are using the Pelican switcher to pass 720p or 1080i signals. It simply doesn't have the bandwidth to pass the HD signals.

Exactly. R u the tokerblue from the Fire Pro D boards on gamefaqs from a few years ago?

#41 tokerblue   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   505 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

tokerblue

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:56 PM

Exactly. R u the tokerblue from the Fire Pro D boards on gamefaqs from a few years ago?

> The same! It's nice to see a fellow FP gamer again!

The AVS Forums had a comparison of the various video selectors and their output. If you do a slow search on "Pelican Component", I'm sure a ton of threads will appear.

Here's the review. Note that the review is from a competitor, but the analysis is based on a oscilloscope reading.

#42 weaponx666   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   98 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

weaponx666

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:47 PM

The AVS Forums had a comparison of the various video selectors and their output. If you do a slow search on "Pelican Component", I'm sure a ton of threads will appear.

Here's the review. Note that the review is from a competitor, but the analysis is based on a oscilloscope reading.

I never posted much over there but noticed your posts since every other one was from you. :D

I had seen this same info you saw about this selector. I bought one b/c high end units are too much money and don't have all the features this one has. For the money I'd say it's awesome. I have so many game systems that I may need to buy another one. I do worry about video quality but haven't noticed much of a difference. I have my GC, PS2, and Xbox all hooked up with video component cable through this selector, then into my TV, since I don't have a receiver that does component video.

To those wondering, I have the official component cables for each system, no cheapo cables but no rip-off Monster cables either. I also have an NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Saturn, and DC, that I need to hook up. Anyone know where to get official S-Video cables for DC and Saturn? I bought the ones for N64 and SNES right from the Nintendo site.

#43 Indiana   Over 3 decades of gaming! CAGiversary!   3143 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:37 PM

[quote name='"weaponx666"'][quote name='tokerblue'][quote name='weaponx666']Exactly. R u the tokerblue from the Fire Pro D boards on gamefaqs from a few years ago?[/quote]

Here's the review. Note that the review is from a competitor, but the analysis is based on a oscilloscope reading.[/quote]

Why would you buy component cables for each system if your tv does not support component video input. You are just going to mash all the signals back together then.

#44 TC   Better w/o Kinect CAGiversary!   3058 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 06:15 PM

Gamestop sells a 4 switch system for $ 25.00 that includes RCA Video, S Video, Ethernet Video, and Componet video. It is there own brand. I believe it uses AC current. So for the price it is pretty good.

Can anyone locate this on the Gamestop website?

#45 Mojimbo   Ashes to Ashes CAGiversary!   19630 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:26 PM

Gamestop sells a 4 switch system for $ 25.00 that includes RCA Video, S Video, Ethernet Video, and Componet video. It is there own brand. I believe it uses AC current. So for the price it is pretty good.

http://www.gamestop....oduct_id=801888

I was going to buy it the other night, but I noticed the gamestop logo so I decided to hold off and buy the regular version later on instead. they also had a sign saying $5 off (all?) system selectors but I didn't inquire about it.

#46 Pure Apathy   I got paid! CAGiversary!   6432 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Pure Apathy

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:05 PM

I'm going to gamestop either tomorrow or Friday to trade some games in. I am going to pick up one of these if they have it for $40.

#47 dwsscs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   762 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:09 PM

Don't they have a similar version of this at Gamestop for $25? It was in the forums a few months back, this was not a clearance but a every day thing.

#48 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49875 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:45 PM

Don't they have a similar version of this at Gamestop for $25? It was in the forums a few months back, this was not a clearance but a every day thing.

That was a huge shaq-fu-up, since it was supposed to be the newer, smaller version at that price. A few very lucky people managed to get it at that price, most didn't.

#49 dwsscs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   762 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:07 PM

That was a huge shaq-fu-up, since it was supposed to be the newer, smaller version at that price. A few very lucky people managed to get it at that price, most didn't.

I still see these at Gamestops! I didn't relize it was a screw up, and they are still at the low price.

#50 N64FanBoy   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   37 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

N64FanBoy

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:41 PM

No go in Edmond, OK, and it was the black version.

#51 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49875 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:47 PM

I still see these at Gamestops! I didn't relize it was a screw up, and they are still at the low price.

The newer, smaller one does 4 systems. The "Pro" version does 7.

#52 dwsscs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   762 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:15 AM

The newer, smaller one does 4 systems. The "Pro" version does 7.

Thats cool, I thought I was on to a special deal! Shaq fu my luck.

#53 minqqq   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:49 AM

anyone else have any luck finding it for $40?

#54 TC   Better w/o Kinect CAGiversary!   3058 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:39 AM

I was going to buy it the other night, but I noticed the gamestop logo so I decided to hold off and buy the regular version later on instead. they also had a sign saying $5 off (all?) system selectors but I didn't inquire about it.

Ah thanks. Gamegeizer probably thought it had component video as well. I'm just looking for a 2 in and 1 out component switcher.

#55 rperez1025   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   437 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

rperez1025

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:23 PM

anyone else have any luck finding it for $40?

No, not yet. I've checked 4 Gamestops in the KC area and the three that had it in stock still sold it for $80. There's two more that I still need to check. Oh, and just in case anyone was wondering the first two that I checked were the black model with the last being the silver.

#56 NeoGutsman   CAG Backlogger CAGiversary!   1635 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:34 PM

WeaponX666: You can get very inexpensive Saturn S-Video cables from the ConsoleAccessories.com closeout:

ConsoleAccessories.com Closeout Sale ($3.47 each).

They're not official, but they still work great. I've ordered from that site a few times and have gotten good service.

Good luck!

#57 clariste   Holy diver... CAGiversary!   956 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:27 PM

I just bought this model, the one pictured, yesterday at Wal-Mart for $24.99. No Gamestop label of course. I believe the item is titled HD System Selector Pro or something similar, don't have the package in front of me to check. Works great though....have GC, XBOX, PS2, DVD all hooked through to a receiver. RE4 sounds MUCH better now.

#58 Mojimbo   Ashes to Ashes CAGiversary!   19630 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:31 PM

Ah thanks. Gamegeizer probably thought it had component video as well. I'm just looking for a 2 in and 1 out component switcher.

it does have component video, or at least it should. I think the description is off.

#59 pimp tyranny   Banned Banned   3627 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

pimp tyranny

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:46 PM

convenient

#60 Fanboy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   553 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:28 PM

WeaponX666: You can get very inexpensive Saturn S-Video cables from the ConsoleAccessories.com closeout:

ConsoleAccessories.com Closeout Sale ($3.47 each).

They're not official, but they still work great. I've ordered from that site a few times and have gotten good service.

Good luck!

The cost is nice, but the shipping ($4.35!) kills the deal.
You can find the same cable for the same price all day, every day, on ebay. Here's one shipped for $7 (not my auction):
Cheaper S-Video cable.