- - - - -

pelican system selector pro $40 YMMV

#91 rperez1025   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   437 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

rperez1025

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:14 AM

I went to Fry's today and saw the NEW System Selector Pro. It looks exactly the same as the original model (to me), BUT this one also uses a credit-card type remote control to wirelessly change inputs.

I guess they really did come out with a newer model. Thanks for the info. Maybe now the older models will have a better chance of going on clearance.

Just in case anyone wanted an inexpensive fix for a component switch, you can still use a normal manual composite switch to do the same thing if you only needed video. To hook up your component cable to a composite switch, just wire the Red cable to Red connector, Blue cable to Yellow connector and Green cable to White connector. As long as it's a good quality switch with good connectors and contacts, you are good to go (that's why the pelican non pro version is only $25).

If you only have two component sources you don't even need a switch, you can just use three RCA Y-adapter cables (five if you need audio also) like this one but not Monster brand, as long as neither of the sources send a signal while they are off.

I'm waiting on some component cables from Nintendo and I'm going to use a composite switch as a solution until I can find a nice component switch that changes digital audio also.

#92 aaronprather   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   86 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

aaronprather

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:40 AM

The Y-adapter cable method doesn't work too well because the PS2 (and some Xbox models) even when it is in standby mode will still put out a continuous impedeance audio signal that blocks audio signals from other consoles. Since the PS2 and the Xbox are turned on and off by electronic switches, they are never really totally off. The GameCube, however, uses a physical on/off switch and doesn't suffer from this "problem".

#93 PusherRobot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   56 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

PusherRobot

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:13 AM

Its not the Pro, iwas talking about the HD thats pictures above :) sorry bout that

#94 Nephilim   Sumerland holds me CAGiversary!   1224 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2005 - 10:18 AM

deleted

#95 GreenMonkey   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   754 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

GreenMonkey

Posted 07 February 2005 - 09:03 PM

The Y-adapter cable method doesn't work too well because the PS2 (and some Xbox models) even when it is in standby mode will still put out a continuous impedeance audio signal that blocks audio signals from other consoles. Since the PS2 and the Xbox are turned on and off by electronic switches, they are never really totally off. The GameCube, however, uses a physical on/off switch and doesn't suffer from this "problem".

I can confirm this. I have a Mad Catz universal a/v cable (dreamcast, gamecube, ps2)...with my old PS2 (release model) it was OK because we used the power switch on the back. The new model PStwo I swapped thee old one for seems to put out audio enough to block the other consoles when it is in standby (there is no hard power off switch). Thus the cable on the PS2 has to be removed to get sound from the Dreamcast or the Gamecube. :(

I've been dealing with this for a few months but I play a rewire of my game systems soon.

#96 fromunda cheese   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   23 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

fromunda cheese

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:01 AM

I have a 20" toshiba tv with component inputs and the gamestop system selector hooked up. No problems at all.

When I hooked the same system selector up through the same wires to my 32" tv with stereo I noticed some lines on the screen on the xbox yet the gamecube component was clear.

You really just have to take it home, try it and if it doesn't work for your set up return it.

#97 dserafin1986   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   495 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

dserafin1986

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:39 PM

How are the component cables that come with the selector??? Any good, or do you need to replace them...Cus' if so, that would drive up the price on the whole purchase

#98 Santurio   The Ladies' BodyGuard CAGiversary!   3724 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:39 PM

I just bought one fromWalmart last night and the cables seem decent!!

#99 rperez1025   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   437 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

rperez1025

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:41 PM

Microcenter link

This was posted a while back with the other microcenter deals but really didn't get too much attention as it was mixed in with a lot of other gaming deals. I know a lot of people were interested in getting it at gamestop for the $40 price tag but the newer model with the remote is now available at microcenter for $10 more.

I ordered one for in store pick-up and the total came to a little under $54. If you have it shipped it comes to $56. In case anyone is wondering, I believe the only color available from Microcenter is silver.

I haven't had the chance to put it through it's paces yet but I look to do that soon. I'm just stoked that I found a decent switcher to hook up all my consoles to.

#100 Santurio   The Ladies' BodyGuard CAGiversary!   3724 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:31 PM

I just came back from the nearest Microcenter and I bought one at $50. They are also in the ad so you should be able to PM at other retailers.

For anybody in the Dallas area: the location in Richardson only had 2 on the shelf and I bought one.

#101 undyingforce5   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   342 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

undyingforce5

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:00 AM

This thing works like it is supposed to but the lack of a remote control is annoying beyond belief. You have to get up and switch the thing manually every single time... god I'm lazy...

im lazy too but if your using this thing to play games then you need to get up tp turn on your console anyways!!!!!!!

i hope next gerneration consoles incorporate a remote control

#102 Heyricochet   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   790 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Heyricochet

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:19 AM

im lazy too but if your using this thing to play games then you need to get up tp turn on your console anyways!!!!!!!

i hope next gerneration consoles incorporate a remote control

By next generation do you mean the ps2? Its remote turns the ps2 off. I love my slim with the infrared. :D

#103 undyingforce5   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   342 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

undyingforce5

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:21 AM

By next generation do you mean the ps2? Its remote turns the ps2 off. I love my slim with the infrared. :D

i wasnt aware you could use a remote for the PS2. now that i think about it xbox has a cotnrol also. but dont they have to be jacked into the first player controller slot?

#104 elprincipe   NES > you CAGiversary!   5291 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:59 PM

i wasnt aware you could use a remote for the PS2. now that i think about it xbox has a cotnrol also. but dont they have to be jacked into the first player controller slot?

Don't know about Xbox, but the newer big PS2s, and also I believe the slim PS2s, have an infared port built in for the remote so you don't have to have the infared reciever in the controller port. It's very handy for DVDs and for lazy people :)

#105 starman9000   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1830 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

starman9000

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:03 PM

No, you can put it in the fourth slot. But it does not turn the system on/off.

#106 AzianAsspicker   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   386 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

AzianAsspicker

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:37 PM

I got this on Ebay a couple months ago, and it works great. I love this product and i can't notice a difference even when you use component and 1080i resolution.

#107 sabin23   Wii CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:57 AM

I have a 20" toshiba tv with component inputs and the gamestop system selector hooked up. No problems at all.

When I hooked the same system selector up through the same wires to my 32" tv with stereo I noticed some lines on the screen on the xbox yet the gamecube component was clear.

You really just have to take it home, try it and if it doesn't work for your set up return it.

I asked 3 Gamestops in my area about the return policy on these system selectors and they said, once you open, it's yours. In other words, you can't get a refund.

I wanted to test these out since I heard there's a lot of interference, especially with teh cheap ones. I may look into the Pelican Pro at Fry's. I think they have a better return policy.

#108 dracula   i'll buy that for a dolla CAGiversary!   5011 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:04 AM

I got a 4 system auto switch from lik-sang.com for like $14. It works great. My TV has three AV ins, my VCR has 2 and my switcher has 4... and I still don't have room for them all

which one was it? how is the quality?

i assume it was this first one?

http://www.lik-sang....roducts_id=559

http://www.lik-sang....oducts_id=4088

for 15 bucks that isnt too bad.

a hell of a lot better than getting one for $80 for $40 or however much gamestop wants.

#109 TheShiz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   205 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 03:12 PM

which one was it? how is the quality?

i assume it was this first one?

http://www.lik-sang....roducts_id=559

http://www.lik-sang....oducts_id=4088

for 15 bucks that isnt too bad.

a hell of a lot better than getting one for $80 for $40 or however much gamestop wants.

first one looks like a regular a/v box, not component. the second one is definately component.

#110 Panda Wizardry   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2642 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Panda Wizardry

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:55 PM

Microcenter link

This was posted a while back with the other microcenter deals but really didn't get too much attention as it was mixed in with a lot of other gaming deals. I know a lot of people were interested in getting it at gamestop for the $40 price tag but the newer model with the remote is now available at microcenter for $10 more.

I ordered one for in store pick-up and the total came to a little under $54. If you have it shipped it comes to $56. In case anyone is wondering, I believe the only color available from Microcenter is silver.

I haven't had the chance to put it through it's paces yet but I look to do that soon. I'm just stoked that I found a decent switcher to hook up all my consoles to.

Is that the newer model that some have been talking about?

#111 weaponx666   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   98 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

weaponx666

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:39 PM

You probably won't notice any loss in video quality if you are using S-Video or Component in 480p. You probably will notice a difference if you are using the Pelican switcher to pass 720p or 1080i signals. It simply doesn't have the bandwidth to pass the HD signals.

gamefaqs Fire Pro D boards, baby!

#112 WalkinPneumonia   Professional Cheap @$$ CAGiversary!   774 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

WalkinPneumonia

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:13 PM

I got one and it works great except for my PS2. I can't get the modem to work through the selector. Works fine for the Xbox. Other than that I love it.