best fishing game?

MiiMii

CAG Veteran
Hi,

New CAG member and new Wii owner here. I'm looking to get a couple of fun games and one I would like is a good fishing game. I borrowed Sega Bass Fishing from a friend and it's fun, but there are a few relatively minor points about the game that annoy me- the main one being the voice that tells me what to do when I hook a fish. "Move your rod left!" gets on my nerves quickly and I can see it affecting replay value for me.

What do you all think about the fishing games that are available? Which is your favorite?

I've been looking for one too and from all of the reviews I've read, there really isn't a very good fishing game out there yet for the Wii. I considered buying Sega Bass Fishing but after reading more reviews, they talked me out of it. Fishing Master World Tour just came out but there aren't any reviews of it yet. I'm hoping that maybe it'll manage to be a decent game. But it'll probably be the first Fishing Master with minor, minor upgrades.

Maybe fishing will be one of the games in Wii Sports Resort. Or Nintendo should just make their own fishing game. It's been a part of the Zelda series, a full fledged Zelda fishing game could be kinda cool. It'll never happen but it'd be cool.

Sega Bass Fishing is still my favorite. I have tried each Rapala entry as well as the Hudson Fishing Master (I haven't played World Tour yet) and Sega Bass Fishing stands out for me because of the arcade feel. The others can't really decide what they want to be and that annoys me. I also like the control best in Sega BF - it feels the most responsive. The main downside of Sega BF for me is no 16:9 support.

Also, one of the Rapalas has the longest load time ever for a Wii game - I just can't remember which it is right now. I think maybe the newest one.

[quote name='Josef']
Anyone try Hooked! Real Motion Fishing yet?
[/quote]
I didn't even know it existed... I might have to try it.

I just played about an hour of Fishing Master World Tour. It's definitely better than Fishing Master, but I can't decide if I like it better than Sega Bass Fishing or not. The two are trying for very different experiences though, so maybe they complement each other nicely.

FMWT does have 16:9 support, which Sega Bass Fishing does not. The controls are mostly similar (it's a fishing game - how many options could there be?), although reeling with the nunchuk in FMWT is nearly impossible. They did thougtfully include three reeling options though - nunchuk, analog stick or D-pad ( the game can be played with just the remote).

FMWT turns me off with it's presentation - the default character looks like a rejected Sora model from Kingdom Hearts and you deal with cartoony men with beards a lot. You have to choose a cute animal sidekick, but there are no real options - brown dog or grey cat will tag along and look at beards with you.

I'm torn mainly because of the approach to the game. Where Sega Bass Fishing is clearly based on the arcade experience of "pick up the pretend rod and fish", FMWT mixes Endless Ocean's need to collect all the types of fish with a long career mode. I guess I like the general idea, but sometimes I just want to fish without having to talk to someone with a beard.

Overall, Fishing Master World Tour is probably a better "game" but I don't know about a better fishing simulation. The on-screen prompts are even more bossy than Sega Bass Fishing with giant arrows reminiscent of No More Heroes. Reeling is an all or none proposition. You can't really move your rod or line much once they are in the water. And even more than in Sega Bass Fishing, fish come from miles around just for the chance to die by your hook.

bread's done
Back