Offical Gundam Model / Gunpla Thread

Mrcapcom

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Got this directly from SA Forums posted by Silentman0 figured I would copy/paste so people can read it since its good no credit for this section quoted here:
Hey you! You like giant robots, right? Of course you do! How'd you like one in your very own home, only tiny and made of plastic? Well, boy, are you in luck, because unless you already know more than me about the hobby (which is probably pretty likely, since I'm relatively new to the hobby and only made this thread because it didn't already exist and I have no idea why), I'm going to educate you on tiny plastic hunks of plastic that represent something far cooler than you will ever be!

Who makes 'em?
The two big producers of the stuff are Bandai and Kotobukiya. Bandai makes Mobile Suits and anything with "Gundam" in the name, and make the only ones that can be called "Gunpla" if you're an anal retentive rear end (Oh, yeah, and they make Knightmare Frames too, apparently). Kotobukiya makes pretty much everything else, such as Banpresto Originals, Gunmen, and Armored Cores. Apparently there's also a company called Hasegawa that mostly makes realistic models like planes 'n' poo poo, but also make pretty nifty Valkyries. I don't have any experience with them, though.

The Grades
Bandai decided it would be an awesome marketing move to label their kits with "grades", in order to help uneducated consumers differentiate how much value they were getting by spending obscene amounts of money on glorified Lego. Here they are:
First/Speed Grade
05afb2a66ef38c816654d9db079aaae7768.jpg

Designed for small children, the mentally disabled, and people without any time on their hands. Cheap as poo poo, but unless you spend a ton of time on painting and detail, it doesn't look so hot. Tiny, too, at only 1/200 the scale of whatever it's representing.
High Grade
6fc5920ce5d1ac06e047f3d56209099bc10.jpg

Probably what you're going to start out on if you're not a complete waste of space. It's still relatively cheap, but doesn't look like complete crap either. Usually 1/144th scale.
Master Grade
e23a2f0abb623a4fe015947134161833ba3.jpg

Now we're looking at the big boys. Slightly more expensive than the High Grades (you're looking at a $30-60 USD investment), but it's worth it because even if you're lazy and don't paint it, it still looks awesome. Probably a good idea to practice on cheaper stuff first, though. Usually 1/100th scale.
Perfect Grade
c0b6a349b9226b3016a21da65d86c20aee4.gif

Whoa-hoa-hoa there, big spender! Absolutely have to have the best possible version of Heero-chan's Gundam with the pretty wings, no matter what the cost? Well, here you go. They can set you back more than $100 USD, and are about 1/60 scale (that's big).
SD
f6af3f15f2b9001d69ae9ededcb87552289.jpg

What the gently caress is this, some kind of bobblehead? Either way, chicks dig 'em.

Wow, what a lovely OP. I want to hear some stuff by people who know more about this than you.
Ok.
Wikipedia
Collection DX - They've got reviews of kits so you don't waste money on something you'll end up hating.
Dalong - It's like Collection DX, only in Korean. They've got pictures of what kits will end up looking like if you don't paint them and decide to go crazy with the panel lining.
/m/ & /toy/ - Somewhere among all those threads about Tieria Erde having sex with Domon Kasshu and whether or not Optimus Prime could beat up G.I. Joe you'll probably find a few modeling threads.
The /toy/ Box - More 4chan crap but probably more enlightening.

How about some tutorials?
Layman's Gunpla Guide - Start here.
FitchenFoo - End here.
Danny Choo's Modeling Tutorial for Busy People - This dude's got some good ideas, too.

I live in the middle of Buttfucknowhere, AK, and I have to take a train to get to my nearest modeling store. I need internet stores!
Hobby Link Japan - Probably the first place you'll want to look, because if they don't have it, good luck elsewhere. Prices (especially on shipping) can be fairly steep, however.
Gundam Store and More - Don't let the horrible design and layout fool you, it's actually pretty good.
BigBadToyStore - Usually reliable. People have gotten screwed on new releases before, though.

I know more about giant robot models than you could ever hope to dream of, and find your pitiful attempt at information laughable!
Well, it's a good thing this cliche'd "question-and-answer informational" OP is just an excuse to start a discussion thread, isn't it? If you've got more/better information than me or are some kind of modeling guru just tell me to put something in the OP and I'll probably do it.

I then went to AnimeSuki and a nice poster by the name of
AaKkisa was so kind to PM me two other stores not listed above which are:
http://www.Hobbywave.com
http://www.Imageanime.com
https://www.plajapan.com/index.php?cPath=32
Gundam Blogs:
http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/ Shows Box Art etc of new Gundams Models etc
http://mygunplamodels.blogspot.com/ Anubis20's Blog of super l33t gundams (mostly painted, Fellow CAG)
http://mrcapcomds.blogspot.com/ My Blog of my Poor Man's Gunpla (Still updating)

My Orginal Post
I was thinking of buying this:
http://gundamstoreandmore.com/ban955746.html
And I was wondering if any CAG's ever did any High Grade 1/144 gundam models and never painted them or at least just line arted them with like the black sharpie or gundam markers. Can u reply here or PM me some photos if you have any? Thanks

Feel Free to post up experiences,tips&tricks,Store locations and best of all pics of your Gunpla if anything pls note if its painted or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to do Master Grade and have a Perfect Grade Char's Zaku I built but never did the HG 1/144 ones. the bigger stuff looks fine just lined.

hey sup man that one looks sweet! yea dude i got like 20 gundam models all unpainted...maily cuz the cost a lot and i dont wanna mess them up and cuz i dont know what paint to use... ill post some pics later my friend is copying my memory card...my advice is...if you dont feel comfortable with yourself painting....dont paint them...they dont look that bad if you get the good ones...some of the other or older models look like @$$ hahah

I agree on Master Grade, but I don't think there's a Master Grade out for this model. But, there's a 1/100 scale. I suggest not going with 1/144, I just think they're too small, which makes them harder to paint and line.

Thanks for the answers guys I the only reason why I was going for the 1/144 is the price I don't remember off hand how much the next one or 2 up is as far as master or etc I had a what I think is HG Heavy Arms Custom I brought years ago and it looked fine with out paint I think I did line it I gotta go look thru my stuff in the closet. Anywho pics would help alot if you guys can thanks again

I bought a perfect grade but never worked up the balls to put it together, its been sitting on a shelf for a couple years. The other ones look fine without paint but will lack the fine detail the example ones have.

The most annoying thing about these are the plastic tabs, need an xacto knife or something.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Surely there's a place where you can buy Gundam stuff where you live right? You can find a 1/100 00 at a reasonable price.[/quote]
Nope no where I live in philadelphia please if anyone knows of a local shop let me know lol

[quote name='Mrcapcom']You selling the perfect grade dafoomine :)[/QUOTE]
Nope, I'll build it someday.

First I'm going to work on my master grade GP02A that I bought years and years ago. Its even got the chrome plating.

Can't ya do an internet search? I'm really leaning toward Gundam Store and More, but they only offer UPS... plajapan might be considered, if you're going to spend $100.

I did a search I only could find Gundam Store and More and Hobby Link Japan
I'm leaning more towards HLJ a bit more expensive but they have 00 Gundam with light up GN drives

HLJ is too expensive and a bit lengthy with info for shipping. Its like oh yea it maybe be like 60 USD but we charge in yen but we charge ur card in yen and it may or maynot be 60 USD but if its not now you know why but it should be 60 USD. Then shipping is like yea so we ship it may or maynot get to u in 2 weeks if it doesnt wait if its not there after 3 weeks wait some more and if its still not there call us and we will tell you to wait but it might be your fault.

I want to order from them don't get me wrong I want 00 1/100 but I want something a little bit more up front as far as info. I believe gundam store and more is located in US. They don't have the newest gundams but I can atleast grab exia 1/100 and double 0 1/144 and when they have it or when I feel like buying double 0 ill have a small version and a bigger version

The yen thing isn't a big deal. Shipping, yeah that can be awhile. Also if you want the 00 check their 00-riaser set is intersting.

Gonna take a look at the blog.
Zen the double 0 Riser looks sweet but i think im gonna grab the 1/144 00 and Exia from gundamstoreandmore and then later on buy 1/100 of double 00 and just grab 00riser with it later but 00 riser 1/144.
What do we have to do to get this thread stickied or something?

i get my kits straight from japan, i used to use gundamstoreandmore.com back when they guranteed they had the lowest prices online, now their prices are blah and it takes them forever to ship.

So what store do you use now? So far Gundamstoreandmore is the cheapest so far. Especially for the models im looking for which is exia and 00. Your blog is nice you put me to shame I don't think I have the time to paint all of mines (I only have one lol). I have Heavy Arms Custom ill take some pics hes a bit dusty though. I'm planning on making some more models and getting a display case.

I have some models lying around, but I'm sure they got crushed/destroyed by other things on top of them. I got some models when I visited family in hong kong. Might jsut start building one again soon.

I started again just to get some models of Gundam 00 some of the newer ones looks pretty nice too. Ill try to take some pictures of my old Gundam Heavy Arms Custom tonite and post them here

OK so i keep seeing this
1232127970054.jpg

WTF is it I seen a version of it as like all clear but would love a 1/144 or 1/100 of it
I want a bunch of sword type gundams ideas anyone? Besides exia
/m/ is fun

oh and this from /m/ i thought all should see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVsdR1x9e8
which makes me wonder where are all the GGG toys/models?

Last edited by a moderator:
Long gone, sir. Long gone. GaoGaiGar was a 1999 series. They usually make uber-expensive action figures in a while.
---
Man, if only they made a cheaper version of the Hi-Nu Gundam... That MG's still $100ish and only one store near me sells it.

[quote name='Mrcapcom']OK so i keep seeing this
1232127970054.jpg

WTF is it I seen a version of it as like all clear but would love a 1/144 or 1/100 of it[/quote]

It's the PG Red Frame Astray. Oh goody goodness. 1/144 and 1/100 versions exist in the High Grade line. http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/ban922715.html
http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/ban924923.html

I've got a 1/100th in my "too be built" pile along with a MG Musha Gundam(http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN953804). PG Red Frame is most definitely on my buy list.

GGG stuff isn't as bountiful as other stuff. The really nice toys and figures are going to be over $100 easily. Hmmm, wonder why there hasn't been a revoltech of GGG yet.

you've been to katsucon? my friend and I have always thought about going but have had second thoughts since its held in a hotel, now Otakon is something we never miss

[quote name='Mrcapcom']Yo I was just watching Gundam Seed Ep 16 Did kyrios just hit that? (Flay)[/quote]

It is implied that he did

Well i never been to otakon but im going this year. As far as Katsucon I never been either never been to a anime convention before didnt have the money or just alto of stuff going on at the time. Thnx ZerotypeX i was like yo did this dude just do what I thought he did lol Seed is hot though up to episode like 19 gonna watch up to 25 today. Never got around to watching Seed or seed destiny, till now

I enjoyed Seed and Seed Destiny. The whole friend vs friend always intrigues me, lol. I know alot of people say that both are crap, but whatever. Just started watching Gundam 00 and so far, it's not bad.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I enjoyed Seed and Seed Destiny. The whole friend vs friend always intrigues me, lol. I know alot of people say that both are crap, but whatever. Just started watching Gundam 00 and so far, it's not bad.[/QUOTE]

Both were crap

Seed was passable crap, Destiny was a train wreck full of unlikable characters and ridiculous plot moments.

[quote name='coolsteel']Both were crap

Seed was passable crap, Destiny was a train wreck full of unlikable characters and ridiculous plot moments.[/QUOTE]

SEED was more like great crap, on another thought i really liked it, Destiny was really crap with re-used footage but i guess destiny was more popular because we have seen more destiny models and any other non UC series

bread's done
Back