Chance of Netflix on Wii....

SnorE

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Soo I was wondering if this would ever happen or even be possible? Since netflix now can stream to 360, computers, some blue ray players and the roku box.

Just want to hear some peoples views on this....

A Wii would need some kind of storage device, wouldn't it? Something a little more substantial than an SD card, I would imagine.

Plus, it's probably safe to assume that Xbox has an exclusivity agreement with Netflix.

Streaming wouldn't require a storage device, would it? That's the point - your streaming it, not storing it. Anyway, I would like this feature if it were added because we don't have a 360 (nor PS3). Of course there'd be no HD, but it would still be nice to have.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Well you could... if you choose to use "streaming" as slang for mailing and a firmware update enabled DVD playback :lol:[/quote]

Don't forget that for every dvd you have to enter a 12 digit code.

Maybe one day.... It would have been a nice selling point for more hardcore audience. I just sold mine recently maybe this and some actual games that I can enjoy would bring me back.

[quote name='Spoon_si']I think we will hear news on Wii HD this E3.. HDD is a must for Wii HD imo.. steaming video is the next wave..[/quote]
Why would they announce a new Wii at E3 when they can't make enough of the current one?

[quote name='crunchewy']Streaming wouldn't require a storage device, would it? That's the point - your streaming it, not storing it. Anyway, I would like this feature if it were added because we don't have a 360 (nor PS3). Of course there'd be no HD, but it would still be nice to have.[/QUOTE]
Try any streaming video site on the Wii browser. It'll freeze and buzz.

I wouldn't say that it is impossible. Crazier stuff has happened and developers inevitably manage to do a lot more with hardware then ever expected. However, I'm thinking it's unlikely Nintendo would do it because their Netflix support would inevitably be compared to the 360's, and of course the Wii's would come up short in any such comparison given the lack of HD video. It would, thus, probably end up more of a liability then a positive. So... aside from any technical issues in trying to pull it off, I doubt it would be a good business move even if they could. Better to focus on other areas.

Nintendo is working on their own proprietary entertainment streaming service full of family titles (probably going to be 90% Pokemon). They don't need Netflix's help. *snort*

[quote name='Kaijufan']Why would they announce a new Wii at E3 when they can't make enough of the current one?[/QUOTE]

Why did Nintendo revised the DS in japan? when it's already selling like hot cakes...

It keeps the money flowing... & the wii mania won't stop..

Wii HD is rumor for 2010 or 11'

who's to say we won't hear any tad bits on the Wii HD to hit japan earily..

my guess it's just a upgrade like GBA -to- GBA SP...

saying it will play all old Wii games & new, but upconvert the older games visual to 1080P visual. and new games will play on the old system vice-versa.

plus a HDD & HDMI will be added... it's my guess... it's not a completly new console, just revised... thats my opinion.

[quote name='SnorE']Soo I was wondering if this would ever happen or even be possible? Since netflix now can stream to 360, computers, some blue ray players and the roku box.

Just want to hear some peoples views on this....[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, the chance that it will be possible is fairly high, although it will require a 3rd party solution. I use MediaMall's PlayOn software to stream Netflix to my PS3 and modded xbox. It works great, although I've had a few wrinkles since netflix switched over to Silverlight.

MediaMall is trying to add support for Wii into a future release, although they aren't guaranteeing it. Basically, they will transcode the Netflix stream into Flash 7, so the Wii browser can play it.

I haven't had very good luck getting stuff like TVersity to work with the Wii, so I don't know how good the performance will be. But it's definitely possible, since the browser can stream flash.

Nintendo wouldn't even pay the $0.15 licsensing fee to add DVD playback to the Wii, you think they'd partner with Netflix, lol.

[quote name='Artie Lange']Nintendo wouldn't even pay the $0.15 licsensing fee to add DVD playback to the Wii, you think they'd partner with Netflix, lol.[/quote]

Actually I'm pretty sure the DVD license now requires that your player be able to output 5.1 surround sound. Since the Wii can't do that it never could have gotten the DVD license in the first place.

But yeah, netflix on wii? There's that little problem of storage... There's no way it'll ever happen.

[quote name='Spoon_si']Why did Nintendo revised the DS in japan? when it's already selling like hot cakes...

It keeps the money flowing... & the wii mania won't stop..

Wii HD is rumor for 2010 or 11'

who's to say we won't hear any tad bits on the Wii HD to hit japan earily..

my guess it's just a upgrade like GBA -to- GBA SP...

saying it will play all old Wii games & new, but upconvert the older games visual to 1080P visual. and new games will play on the old system vice-versa.

plus a HDD & HDMI will be added... it's my guess... it's not a completly new console, just revised... thats my opinion.[/quote]
The PSP seemed to be gaining a little bit of ground last year in Japan. I could be wrong, but it seemed like the DSi was introduced to stop that from happening by including some of the PSP features in a DS.

I suppose something like that could happen with the Wii and Nintendo could release a HD Wii, but I don't see it happen (though who knows, I could be wrong). It seems like an HD Wii would really only appeal to hardcore gamers and hardcore AV people and I doubt Nintendo would release a system just for them.

Depending on how (and if) the next Nintendo console does backwards compatibility I suppose it's possible that it could upscale Gamecube and Wii games.

When I tried watching long flash videos on my Wii it didn't have enough memory to load it so I don't think so.

I think much more likely then an HDD Wii is a Wii with more internal flash memory. 2 GB or some such. That seems like a no-brainer and it would make people happy. Having an internal HDD might mean incompatibilities. Not sure about that, but I would think there would be issues that wouldn't be present with a simple increase in the internal flash memory storage. With larger internal flash you wouldn't have such issues, and you'd be able to install more WiiWare and VC games, and that's a win for everybody, especially Nintendo, as they'd undoubtedly sell more WiiWare and VC games as a result.

[quote name='crunchewy']Streaming wouldn't require a storage device, would it? That's the point - your streaming it, not storing it. Anyway, I would like this feature if it were added because we don't have a 360 (nor PS3). Of course there'd be no HD, but it would still be nice to have.[/quote]

Unless the video could be decoded on the fly, it has to go somewhere, to process and read from. I don't know how much internal flash memory the Wii has, but probably not enough to do any TV that could match SDTV.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Try any streaming video site on the Wii browser. It'll freeze and buzz.[/quote]

Huh? My son watches episode after episode of Bakugan on YouTube through the Wii browser. The interface is clean (YouTube detects the Wii browser and makes some nice changes), fullscreen is easy to activate and it looks great. The times when we've had a problem with video it has been the fault of the original source quality or poor encoding.

[quote name='ma']Believe it or not, the chance that it will be possible is fairly high, although it will require a 3rd party solution. I use MediaMall's PlayOn software to stream Netflix to my PS3 and modded xbox. It works great, although I've had a few wrinkles since netflix switched over to Silverlight.

MediaMall is trying to add support for Wii into a future release, although they aren't guaranteeing it. Basically, they will transcode the Netflix stream into Flash 7, so the Wii browser can play it.

I haven't had very good luck getting stuff like TVersity to work with the Wii, so I don't know how good the performance will be. But it's definitely possible, since the browser can stream flash.[/quote]
I'm still not saying it's necessarily going to happen, but it's nice to see a response that's not just "hahahaha no". Your point is well taken - there are a variety of untried solutions that may work just fine for this.

sorry i haven't responded sooner to my own thread...but celebrating my brothers 21st bday for the past few days...anyway im not saying that this is gonna happen i was just wondering peoples view on it and if they think it could be possible to happen or even an alternate way...

Yep, and I'm looking forward to it because netflix streaming on the 360 actually hasn't worked that well for us, probably due to us have a low-end DSL service. I suspect it will work better with 480p. At the very least I hope we don't get the obnoxious hiccups we get all the time with the 360 trying to push 720p our way and then giving up for a while and then going back to it. Repeat. If it starts at 480p I'm hoping we'll get consistent results and I have no problems with DVD on our HDTV. It looks good to me, so this ought to look fine. That is, presuming that the streaming actually works well. I'm looking forward to finding out.

The answer is yes, soon very soon.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/13/netflix-streaming-available-on-wii-this-spring/

After years of rumors and an encouraging statement from Netflix's CEO, it appears to be official: the Nintendo Wii will gain the ability to stream content from Netflix's "Watch Instantly" selections. The New York Times reports that the companies will announce the deal later today.

Nintendo president Reggie Fils-Aime called the addition of Netflix functionality "a continuation of an effort to bring more and more entertainment to consumers who interact with the Wii." The AP notes (via Engadget) that, like the PS3's implementation of the service, Netflix on Wii will require an "instant streaming disc."

A-wii-some!

definately will be nice... but we already have a Blu that streams it already. More options can't be a bad thing.

[quote name='xycury']A-wii-some!

definately will be nice... but we already have a Blu that streams it already. More options can't be a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

Well, if anything, it's nice if you want to have it in multiple rooms of the house.

Say, for example you have a PS3 or 360 in the main room with Netflix functionality, well, now you can have it on the Wii in your bedroom, or child's room if you so wish.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I can't imagine anyone who has a PS3 or 360 using their Wii instead.[/QUOTE]

well why are you repeating yourself?

I wouldn't use the wii either because I have a Sony streaming Blu player, but hey... options are good. If the Wii goes somewhere else in the house, it'll be a nice option to still have.

[quote name='SnorE']Soo I was wondering if this would ever happen or even be possible? Since netflix now can stream to 360, computers, some blue ray players and the roku box.

Just want to hear some peoples views on this....[/QUOTE]

Don't forget PS3 also.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Very interesting, but it's a pass. Now that I have a 360, I'd stream Netflix through it long before I'd give my Wii the chance.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='utopianmachine']I can't imagine anyone who has a PS3 or 360 using their Wii instead.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='xycury']well why are you repeating yourself?[/QUOTE]

I didn't repeat myself. I said I personally wouldn't use it, then that I couldn't imagine anyone doing so, if they had other options.

bread's done
Back