Going to Japan! What should I be looking for?

somahead33

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
My plane leaves to Tokyo at noon tomorrow for my honeymoon. Staying near Nagasaki for a week, the heading into Tokyo and Kyoto for the next 10 days. I have gone through Cheapy's Life in Japan thread (thanks Cheapy!) but am looking for consolidated info on games/shops I could be on the lookout for.

I am losing about $0.10 to every dollar so really only want to pick up things I couldn't otherwise purchase here in the States. Looking for anything on any console/handheld. Thanks in advance!

I recommend avoiding looking for a bunch of anime, manga and video game stuff except for spending time in Akihabara, because I'm guessing anything you could find in Osaka, Kyoto, etc. you could find easier in one of the billions of Akihabara stores.

As people mentioned, Super Potato is awesome. You can pose with Naked Snake in the retro arcade and sit on a throne of famicom games. Gamers is also the place must check out store right outside of the train station.

On my trip to Japan my favorite city was Kyoto since it was an awesome walking city with tons of stuff to see all within walking distance or grab a quick cab.

Ride the Shinkansen!

Also notice how there is a ton of Coke Zero as opposed to Diet Coke and how awesome it is that the bottles of coke and pepsi come with little toys!

Check out the Club Segas and pay only 100 yen to get schooled by some 17 yr old japanese girl as Sol-Bad Guy juggling you all around the god damn screen!

I personally liked the Taito Arcade that was in Akihabara since it seemed like it had a less serious crowd there.

Stop by Den-Den Town, lots of fun stuff down there.

and watch out for:

Hard Gay
329906303_9e3fce7243.jpg

FOOOOOOOO!!!!

Since you'll be in Kyoto you should experience a bath house or hot spring, if you're not too shy ;) Kyoto it's self is a tourist attraction, you'll have no problem finding things to do. Never been to Nagasaki. Tokyo Tower & Asakusa are big tourist artractions you should probably visit while in Tokyo. As for food go eat Ramen at a noodle stand, Sushi Conveyor belt style, Monja, Sabu Sabu, Yakiniku, Okonomiyaki.....:drool:

As for used game stuff just jump into any "Book Off" or used game store. Most have $1 shelves. I've found my best deals just by getting lucky. I'm sure you'll find dozens of places just walking down the street. Super Potato is awesome but hella expensive. It's pretty much a video game museum, where you can buy the art... for a hefty price. Club Sega are arcades scattered all around Tokyo. But the games should be a side note to your trip.

Sounds like you'll have enough time to shot the breeze and just wander around. Were will you be staying in Tokyo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Potato is cute for the music but past that no, it's expensive. So overpriced.

Honestly I suggest buying most things through Japanese auctions and having them shipped to you while there. In most shops, even off Akihabara, consoles tend to be overpriced except at places like "Hard Off" I suspect.
When you pick up some things I suggest buying a Marty and PC-FX. The PC-FX is the Japanese only follow up console to the Turbographx-16.
Those are pretty much the big one's to pick up. Make sure to buy "Team Innocent" when you get a PC-FX by the way. Oh yeah and you might want to pick up a Japanese 360 while there since the offerings in our market completely fucking blow compared to the Japanese/Asian market.
Oh and one thing I must add, go to the arcade and play as many different games as you can. You will see so many more Sega games there you'll never likely see here except on the West Coast(see Quest Of D). Quest Of D is a level up hack'n'slash. Good game.
Oh yeah and Akihabara is completely fucking overrated. You won't find as many game shops as you'd expect. After going through Yongsan in South Korea Akihabara was a complete fucking disappointment as our supposed Gaming Mecca.

bread's done
Back