The Thrift Store Thread 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trikip

CAGiversary!
Please let me explain this thread before you post. We have two threads for thrift stores (Tales from the Thrift and that SA/Goodwill thread). Why don't we just have on thread that we make every year? I can't even find the two theads I mentioned, so they must be dead anyway. If this isn't okay then just lock it.

Also, if anyone has the links to the two old threads, I'd like to put them in this post for reference. Thanks, and good luck this year!

I'll get this thread started in meager style then. Hit up 3 Goodwill stores that have been pretty dependable for consoles over the past month. I've seen a Gamecube, PS1, N64x2, Genesis 2, and SNES in them all for very reasonable prices.

One had a new batch of NES games priced for $2.99 each. Ended up getting Metal Gear and Ninja Gaiden for my collection. Nothing groundbreaking, but a couple of classic games that I hadn't stumbled across yet, so I was happy.

I picked up a $8 Sega CD yesterday. (I've been looking for one for a while.) Haven't had time to test it yet, but it looks to be in good shape.

Hit up the Goodwill again. Picked up:

Paperboy (NES) $2.99
Ghosts 'n Goblins (NES) $2.99

Feels good to get a little NES collection going again. Finally have some good games to put in my toploader.

Saw Playstation 1 and four controllers at my local Good Will. $20.00. The system made a rattling noise, no thanks.

Picked up the following:
Dart Board - $10.00 (No darts to try it out)
Would You Rather...? - $5.00 (I read through the game cards, what a waste of money)
Harry Potter Trivia Game - $2.50 (Good for little kids)

[quote name='kawikabot']My recent finds:

Dreamcast system with cables but no controller (it works!) $3
Final Fantasy 7 pc $5[/quote]

You are lucky because my local Goodwill is selling a Dreamcast (just the console) for 50 bucks.

Anyways I picked up for 1.99 each
NES - RBI Baseball (Tengen)
NES - California Games

[quote name='GoAztecs']You are lucky because my local Goodwill is selling a Dreamcast (just the console) for 50 bucks.

Anyways I picked up for 1.99 each
NES - RBI Baseball (Tengen)
NES - California Games[/quote]

Nice. I was at my local Salvation Army a few weeks back and got RBI Baseball 2 and Operation Wolf for .75 each. They had California games, but I only had $2 on me and the next day it was gone. Oh, and then a week or so later I got Tony Hawk 4 for the X-Box for $1.50. Finally, like a week after that, I got Mario Kart 64 for $1.75.

I'm still bummed since a year or two ago they had the tiny third edition Genesis for $15 with all the cords, cables and Sonic. Sadly, I had a $5 on me, but I got Battletoads for $1.99. I got a $20 from my sister that night and went back the next day, but it was gone. Since then, though, I got another second edition Genesis for $5 with 6 games (including Sonic 2, 3 and Sonic & Knuckles), all the cords but either RF/AV jack (luckily, I have both and gave it to my bro with the RF) and two controllers.

I need to hit up some Goodwills, but none are in walking distance. Last time I got to one was like September. I picked up Diablo II and the expansion for .49 each. They were in the paper disc holders but the codes are on them.

well i recently went to a thrift store and found A Sega Dreamcast with about 35 bootleg games for 25$ lol went home, hooked it up and played some sonic adventure (amazing game).

Had my first great find of 2009 today:
Elder Scrolls: Arena (Complete, CD vers.) - $4.50
The box is kinda beat up, but that's still a great deal for that rare of a game.

Found at Goodwill:

Resident Evil: Director's Cut $3.99
Resident Evil 2 Greatest Hits $3.99
Legend of Mana (Case and Manual only, someone stole the disc) FREE
Digimon World Black Label (Case and Manual only, presumably stolen as well) FREE

Goodwill trip today:

Game Gear System (sans AC adapter and missing one battery cover) w/Sonic the Hedgehog cart: $9.99

Never seen one in the wild before, so I wasn't going to pass on it. I already needed to pick up an AC adapter for the Genesis 2 I picked up recently, so that doesn't really cause too much of a problem either.

Hit up the Goodwill earlier tnoght and picked up

Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi 2 $3.00
Dreamcast - F355 Challenge Passione Rosa $3.00
Playstation - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone $2.00

yesterday at a goodwill i found shining force 1 and 2 for the genesis and i wasn't sure if they were rare so i didn't pick them up. they were both in their boxes, although they both had '3-' written on them in permanent marker as the price, so that stinks. i'm debating on if i should go back and get them for 3 bucks a piece.

[quote name='chimpster1313']yesterday at a goodwill i found shining force 1 and 2 for the genesis and i wasn't sure if they were rare so i didn't pick them up. they were both in their boxes, although they both had '3-' written on them in permanent marker as the price, so that stinks. i'm debating on if i should go back and get them for 3 bucks a piece.[/quote]

Yes. Shining Force 1 + 2 are worth $30+ a piece if they are complete in box, even with marker on the cover. $3.00 is a steal for those games.

[quote name='chimpster1313']i think they're both cardboard. at least one of them is for sure.[/QUOTE]

Shining Force has a plastic case.

Shining Force II has a paperboard box.

And if you don't go pick those up soon, I'm going to sweep in and get them as I think I know which Goodwill you are talking about.

that was literally all the motivation i needed to go get them. i'm not sure if you'll be nice and give me a 'grace' period, but i'm definitely going to get them now, haha.

UPDATE: thank you sir for the motivation. i went, and today they were having a 50% off sale on damn near everything, so i actually got shining force 1 and 2 for $3.20 TOTAL

[quote name='chimpster1313']UPDATE: thank you sir for the motivation. i went, and today they were having a 50% off sale on damn near everything, so i actually got shining force 1 and 2 for $3.20 TOTAL[/quote]

Damn, nice pick up. Nothing good comes along my thrift stores. That or I am always at the wrong one at the wrong time.

That reminds me of when I found a complete copy of Shining Force at a Goodwill last April. I walked into the store and spotted some Genesis games in the glass case. Unfortunately, they had been priced at $6.99 each (which is odd, most of the local Goodwills tend to price Genesis games between $1.99-$3.99), and Shining Force was the only one that was worth the price.

They also had a few NES games at a far more reasonable price - $1.99 each. I left the store with SF and the only NES game in the store that I didn't have, a boxed copy of Solstice.

Later on, when the color tag on the Genesis games became the half-off tag of the week, I went back to that Goodwill to see what was still there and worth $3.50. I left with Boogerman and Socket, both copies only missing their manuals.

my thrift stores do not have any video game stuff, and if they do it is overpriced, but sure enough it will be gone the next time i go in.

Gaming items are fairly limited around here, but I tend to find better deals in tall name brand clothing and DVD's. I did get a deal on two complete/like new Apple Airport Express units today - $15 for both. Last month I bought a like new gameboy color with Ducktales for $5.

I just got back from the local Goodwill in the neighboring town with my great aunt. I was just about to leave when I found Escape from Butcher Bay for the X-Box for $2.97 (original, non-platinum). I remembered reading from the X-Box forum here that it was a good game, so I grabbed it since it looked in good shape.

Now I'm not sure if I wanna play through it or wait to watch the movies.

I passed on the other video games, PS and PC's. I looked over the CSI game for the PC for my sister, but it was $4 and she only watches New York to my knowledge. Plus, I doubt it'll sell quickly as it's in the display case. And, there's always the chance it's going dirt cheap on amazon with the $3.99 shipping. Only other one I recognized was Knockout Kings for the PS, which is going for a whopping penny on amazon.

Gosh, I saw overpriced games at my local Goodwill today. Rock Band Track Pack Vol. 2 (PS2) was $20. Still sealed mind you, but a Target clearance retread that didn't sell at $7.48 at Target. And Super Paper Mario was $30 used. That's more akin to GS pricing.

Very disappointed in this particular Goodwill.

Today a HUGE Savers had its grand opening in my area. Seriously, it's gigantic. Savers stores around here usually don't have many games, but I love buying movies there. They must have had hundreds of VHS tapes there. HUNDREDS. Unfortunately, each movie was $2.99, but it could be worse. Since it was a good selection I picked up three kids movies for that price. I'll be checking back there regulary, epecially when they have sales.

Picked up:
Myst (PC) - $1.99
2 camping chairs - $10.00
Acoustic guitar - $48.00

I love my local Good Will, they have these random pop-up sales. Went there today for the guitar, they had 40% off colored tags and 25% off white tags. A couple of days ago, it was 50% off movies and 50% off toys/games (still on going). Unfortunately they do not have many games.

There are two used Playstation 1 systems for 14.99 (50% off right now so 7.50ish). There are no power cords so not worth the buy for me.

Cheers ^__^

Since I moved to a larger city this past month, I've only hit up one Goodwill.....it sucked.

But before I came, I found a great copy of Soul Caliber (DC). Not really amazing, but worth a little more than $2.99. And sadly, was only able to find every disc for Myst (pc) except for one :( I must have went through hundreds of cd cases that day.

And although it didn't come from a thrift store, I picked up a copy of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Final Fantasy II for $4 each at a local pawn shop.....maybe close enough.

This is the first time I visited my local goodwill, and I came up with something that might be decent, but I'm not sure. Mint, complete copy of Panzer Dragoon for Saturn. I know it isn't the really rare one, but they run for 20 to 30 on amazon. They also had a stack of other saturn games. The other two that caught my eye were Dragon Force and Burning Rangers. I may go back tomorrow and pick those two up.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']This is the first time I visited my local goodwill, and I came up with something that might be decent, but I'm not sure. Mint, complete copy of Panzer Dragoon for Saturn. I know it isn't the really rare one, but they run for 20 to 30 on amazon. They also had a stack of other saturn games. The other two that caught my eye were Dragon Force and Burning Rangers. I may go back tomorrow and pick those two up.[/quote]

It sounds like you are just going to sell them, so WHY would you pick up the least valuable of the 3? Im not quite buying this story. If it's true, why are you sitting at your computer? Go get them.

Several thrift stores today and this is what I came back with:

DSCF0021-1.jpg

Destiny of An Emperor NES at Goodwill for $4.98 (has instructions and map)
Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures at Maj-R Thrift $3
Mickey Mania at Maj-R Thrift $3
Super Mario All-Stars at Maj-R Thrift $3
ColecoVision Lady Bug at some local thrift $5
Zelda Ocarina of Time at DAV Thrift $1.91
007 Goldeneye at DAV Thrift $1.91
Star Wars Shadows of The Empire at DAV $1.91
Robert E Lee Civil War General at DAV $5

[quote name='EDiddy0042']This is the first time I visited my local goodwill, and I came up with something that might be decent, but I'm not sure. Mint, complete copy of Panzer Dragoon for Saturn. I know it isn't the really rare one, but they run for 20 to 30 on amazon. They also had a stack of other saturn games. The other two that caught my eye were Dragon Force and Burning Rangers. I may go back tomorrow and pick those two up.[/quote]

Um, why did you leave the two games that are worth $70.00 + and buy the one that's worth $15? Get back to that store immediately and buy the other two, those are common knowledge rare games so they are likely not there anymore.

Even the thiefs at the goodwill near me know when a game is rare (hence the empty "Legend of Mana" case I found there).

[quote name='Doomstink']Even the thiefs at the goodwill near me know when a game is rare (hence the empty "Legend of Mana" case I found there).[/quote]

I hate it when people steal the discs and leave the cases...

Damn my neglect of finding what games are rare. I went back today after my workout and both Dragon Force and Burning Rangers were gone. BAH! if you guys want to ridicule me now, go right ahead.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']Damn my neglect of finding what games are rare. I went back today after my workout and both Dragon Force and Burning Rangers were gone. BAH! if you guys want to ridicule me now, go right ahead.[/QUOTE]

ouch. that's a pretty big flop!

but I flopped yesterday to. Best Buy had DMC4 Collector's Edition for the 360 for $14.99 on clearance. I picked it up and the cellophane was scratched, so I decided not to get it. Then I saw 5 more at another BB (full price though.) I had the bright idea to price match from the receipt at the one store to snag them or at least exchange for a mint copy.

Of course, the game was gone when I went back.

I went to a Goodwill a good bit away yesterday that usually has a good gamin selection. Sadly, it was pretty much all outdated PC games and a worthless PS game.

However, I did find Sims 2: Apartment Life for $6.99. Not the greatest deal, but better than amazon. At least the disc works, unlike the copy of Sims 2 Deuxe I got there a while back for $5.99 that wouldn't play (it had the code, though, which is all I technically needed to get it running.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back