Are LCD monitors good for gaming?

They are second only to CRTs!!!

Plasmas blur, and regular projections get phosphur burn.

LCSs/LCOS are awesome! A few pixels will eventually dissipate,... but that's only if you keep your tv on all day,... and or have vivid setting on.

They do not blur, but their black levels aren't as black as the other options.

Overall, LCDs are best, only after CRT.

:)

The newer ones are ok for gaming. Make sure you get one with a small response time.

I've never seen a LCD that's look as sharp for gaming as a good CRT though.

Yeah,... they're not as sharp,... but they are VERY close.

Check out the Sony Grand WEGAs!!! They are superb!

That's what I have, and it amazes everyone who sees it.
Especially watching Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, and Otogi 2 on it.

Seriously,... they are getting close to perfection.

CRT still runs circles around LCD in terms of sharpness and screen response time. Not to mention that you are resolution 'locked' as LCD's have a fixed resolution so you better have a sweet videocard and CPU in order to get good framerates.

CRT is the way to go. Of course you need the room for it and some friends to help you carry it. My 21 inch screen weighs a ton.

I have a LCD with a 25ms response time, which was close to the best at the time I bought it and there is a noticible difference in quality between my two monitors. CRT all the way.

LCD is much easier on the eyes for text/reading though.

[quote name='juicedup1']I see sony has a 17inc LCD with 16ms response time! Hows that?[/quote]

I've heard good things about a 17" Sony on Newegg. The 16ms response time is definately good. You don't want a response time higher than that otherwise you'll get ghosting.

[quote name='juicedup1']I see sony has a 17inc LCD with 16ms response time! Hows that?[/quote]

16ms is the standard response time for a decent LCD nowadays.

I would grab a CRT if I was you. They are cheaper (although a real bitch to get shipped) and will be alot better unless space is a priority. Failing that, I suggest you sit back and wait a while as LCDs are getting better and better (and cheaper) all the time.

bread's done
Back