Feedback
6 (100%)
Developer: Namco-Bandai
Publisher: XSeed
MSRP: $29.99
Release Date: Feb 10, 2009

Official Site: www.retrogamechallenge.com
Link to Amazon, so you can buy it!

This game is based off a Japanese TV show Gamecenter CX, where the host plays old Famicom games and fails miserably for our entertainment.

Story:
You are a child of the 80's who is forced to do challenges in 8-bit games by the evil Game Master to escape.

Fictional gaming magazines provide info on new releases and codes/cheats.
Full games are unlocked after you complete the challenges. All the games are original games modeled after old 8-bit classics.

Games in the Japanese version (from wikipedia):
Cosmic Gate

• A shooting game
Haguru Man

• A side-scrolling game.
Rally King

• A top-down view racing game.
Star Prince

• A shooting game.
Rally King SP

• A sequel to Rally King featuring ramen noodles, similar to Gradius variant Gradius Archimedes Hen.
Haguru Man 2

• A sequel to Haguru Man with better graphics and slightly altered play.
Guadia Quest

• An RPG.
Haguru Man 3

• The sequel that actually changes gameplay drastically.

games_ss1A.jpg
games_ss1B.jpg

games_ss2A.jpg
games_ss2B.jpg

games_ss3A.jpg
games_ss3C.jpg

games_ss4A.jpg
games_ss4C.jpg

games_ss6A.jpg
games_ss6C.jpg

Reviews:
Game Informer: 85 (Handheld Game of the Month)
Nintendo Power: 80

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason I thought there were going to be fewer games in the U.S. version. Regardless, I'm still excited about it being localized.

Haguruman 3 (Haggleman 3) is supposed to be a Ninja Gaiden-style action game. Definitely a good-looking little collection. I love the Game Center CX series. Arino-kacho rocks.

Ooh, Gaudia Quest looks very Final Fantasy-ish. According to an interview with RPGamer, it's a 20 hour RPG. :drool:

Someone who has played Dragon Warrior would have to tell me if it looks more like those 8-bit games.

[quote name='Squarehard']I'll pick it up when it hits $10[/QUOTE]
I doubt that many stores will order it, hence will not be not clearancing it

If not Amazon, it's easily a game I'd scavenge around for at local brick and mortars. Nostalgic gaming without the retread? I'm sold.

[quote name='Josef']Anyone else find it funny the in-game game magazine is called GameFan?[/QUOTE]

they actually consulted some former gamefan writers for the magazine (as well as former egm guys and other video game journalists)!

[quote name='Cao Cao']Haguruman 3 (Haggleman 3) is supposed to be a Ninja Gaiden-style action game. Definitely a good-looking little collection. I love the Game Center CX series. Arino-kacho rocks.[/quote]

QFTMT!

Arino-Kacho is the man!

I wish they had a show like that here in the US. His Quest for Ki and Ghost and Goblins Episodes were epic.

They actually came out with the sequel already in Japan and its even better than the first. The games are still true to the Famicom but now it involves a story around Arino himself with his cast in it. It will still follow the same format as the first Gamecenter.

I imported this from Ebay for about 37 bucks and it was worth every penny. The ones pictured are the main games but they are more as in special versions or sequels like harugaman 2 and 3 or Rally King SP. Im stuck on Gaudia Quest because of course, i cant read japanese text that well if not at all anymore.

Worth every penny and it should be in most if not all people who enjoy retro gaming in their DS collections. Ill buy it again so i can atleast get whats going on.

[quote name='lilboo']This will be a pick up once it's like $15'ish[/quote]

How readily available will it be when it's supposed to hit that price is my main worry.

I feel like these smaller, non-Nintendo first party games are going to be real tough to find later down the road. I feel like that with this game, Little Red, Commando Steel Disaster and Big Bang Mini.

[quote name='yukine']Reviews are starting to come in, Gamespot gave it a 7.5, sounds like it really scratches that nostalgia itch.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/gamecentercx/review.html?part=rss&tag=gs_reviews&subj=6204271

Does there happen to be any GameCenter CX episodes with subtitles? Lots of anime have fan-subs so I'm hoping that would be case for GameCenter.[/quote]The DVDs are supposed to be released here this year, apparently there's mention of it in the manual.

I wish 3rd party games counted for Club Nintendo. On the other hand, that means I don't have to worry about picking them up used/whether or not they include a reg card. So maybe it's just as well. This will be a good game to pick up used. Then again, maybe this will be a game that's hard to find used? Hmm.

[quote name='crunchewy']This will be a good game to pick up used. Then again, maybe this will be a game that's hard to find used? Hmm.[/QUOTE]

I think it will be. Even Amazon doesn't have any on launch date. I don't think retailers will be stocking a ton of this.

Anyone pick this up? Any impressions?

*EDIT**

Amazon updated to having it in stock

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to pick this up, but no stores around me seem to have it in stock. Looks like Amazon is going to be the best route to get a hold of it.

[quote name='chakan']I think it will be. Even Amazon doesn't have any on launch date. I don't think retailers will be stocking a ton of this.

Anyone pick this up? Any impressions?

*EDIT**

Amazon updated to having it in stock[/QUOTE]

amazon always goes 2/3 weeks to order when the game comes out even though they are shipping them. that is why a day or two later it says IN STOCK

dont ask me why they do it but they always do

Picked it up. My G$ had 2 copies, the manager was getting the other copy. Played through the first galaga clone challenge. I like the living room format where your buddy goes and get the game off the shelf, plunks the cartridge in, and presses power for you. He makes appropriate "wow" noises when you score big, or sighs when you die. The gaming magazines are funny; letters to the editor from Seymour Butts...and the editor is Dan Socks.

[quote name='slidecage']i wonder how long amazon will stock this title

they had

MY WORLD MY WAY but now they dont even sell it .[/quote]

What are you talking about? My world my way is in stock right now on amazon.

This game is nothing short of crazydelicious.

Beat the Cosmic Gate challenges, tacking Haggleman now. Both games thus far are a TON of fun. One of my first personal goals is to beat Cosmic Gate without aid of the gates. Got to level 30 with about 348,000 to my name before I died.

My opinion thus far through the game? You'd be committing a crime by not trying this game. Retro junkies rejoice!

[quote name='SL4IN']What are you talking about? My world my way is in stock right now on amazon.[/QUOTE]

not though amazon. though 3rd places yes, but not via amazon any longer

[quote name='slidecage']not though amazon. though 3rd places yes, but not via amazon any longer[/QUOTE]

Amazon just sold out of their initial stock. They will certainly have more in the near future.

How long does it take to get Guadia Quest unlocked? It's the only game I care about in the collection, sucks I have to beat all the challenges for almost every other game to unlock it.

[quote name='62t']is FYE getting this game?[/QUOTE]

FYE is notoriously late in putting games out on the sales shelf. I'm going to check next week when I go back for Fire Emblem. You can't beat $9.99 after rebate.

[quote name='Josef']FYE is notoriously late in putting games out on the sales shelf. I'm going to check next week when I go back for Fire Emblem. You can't beat $9.99 after rebate.[/QUOTE]

shocked its not listed on their site

I got 126 bucks credit and not a FYE store around me anymore (suncoast does not carry games)

i will be playing this game tonight when I take my" before bed" bathroom visit and . Can't wait to crack this baby up, just the excitement of starting it wants me to poop now! :shock:

[quote name='homeland']just the excitement of starting it wants me to poop now![/QUOTE]I think we just found the review blurb for the ad campaign!

I picked this up yesterday along with My World My Way from GS when I picked up my Sonic Genesis collection pre-order. My ass REALLY lucked out with both games. I got the ONLY copies of each my store had shipped to them! This and My World My Way will get rare REALLY quick if it hasn't already happened so if you have any interest in either now's the time to hunt them down. My understanding on MWMW is that some Gamestops got one or 2 copies, others didn't. I'll play both tonight for a bit and post my thoughts here tomorrow on Retro Game Challenge :)

I played a few hours of this game last night in bed and had a hard time putting it down. I made it to the SP version of the racing game and only stopped because it was getting so late. All the challenges were great and seem pretty easy so far. The games seem well done, though the racing games controls are abit shit. My only complaint is how slow it is while your in the kids room. Between the dialogue and the time it takes to get a magazine/game I had just wanted it to be a little quicker. Besides that the game is perfect. I'm not sure how long the game is suppose to last but It seems i'm almost halfway through, though I don't know how long it will take to beat all the games including the RPG.

bread's done
Back