LOST Season 5 Discussion - 5/13: The Incident -

RAMSTORIA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
*SPOILER ALERT*

If you are behind on the show by a few days or a few hours be careful in this thread. Some people use spoiler tags, others don't. Just be aware that there's a good chance you'll read something you'll be mad about if you aren't up to date on the episodes.

season5sm4.jpg

Lost with LOST? Check out Lostpedia for a wealth of information.

Official LOST Website

Schedule:
1/21: » "Lost: Destiny Calls" (recap), Because You Left", "The Lie"
1/28: Jughead
2/04: The Little Prince
2/11: This Place is Death
2/18: 316
2/25: The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham
3/04: LeFleur
3/18: Namaste
3/25: He's Our You
4/01: Whatever Happened, Happened
4/08: Dead is Dead
4/15: Some Like it Hoth
4/29: The Variable
5/06: Follow the Leader
5/13: The Incident

Season 5 Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBNWLYrfzr8

Other Stuff:

Watch episodes online

Lost Season 1 & 2 finally coming to Blu-Ray

The LOST Book Club

Buy LOST

Season 1
http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Complete..._bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1232524042&sr=8-4

Season 2
http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Complete..._bbs_sr_6?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1232524042&sr=8-6

Season 3
http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Complete..._bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1232524042&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Complete..._bbs_sr_7?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1232524042&sr=8-7 (BR)

Season 4
http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Complete..._bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1232524042&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Complete..._bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1232524042&sr=8-5 (BR)

Well, you guys as excited as I am?

Alright, let's hear those insane theories everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooo excited.

Just the thought of the 1st, 2nd, and 5th Season Blu-Rays makes me want to pour money on J.J., Damon, and Jeffery.

I can't wait for the new episodes!

As for spoilers, definitely don't enter the thread after it airs on the east coast if you haven't seen it yet. It was decided (with mod approval) in the Heroe's threads that once a show aired on the east coast it was fine to discuss without spoiler tags. It's too annoying to have to keep clicking show spoiler over and over to read discussion of a show that already aired.

WTF? Why aren't they airing them all in a row? Wasn't that the deal when they decided to premiere in Januarys from now on? I want 16 uninterrupted episodes!!

[quote name='javeryh']WTF? Why aren't they airing them all in a row? Wasn't that the deal when they decided to premiere in Januarys from now on? I want 16 uninterrupted episodes!![/quote]

Yeah I was under the same impression...that sucks.

[quote name='javeryh']WTF? Why aren't they airing them all in a row? Wasn't that the deal when they decided to premiere in Januarys from now on? I want 16 uninterrupted episodes!![/QUOTE]

It's just one week. I got the schedule from TV.com, it could be wrong. Let's hope so, because even a week off is brutal.

Best part about the the show being back, Charlotte is back too.

HAHA NEIL... what a douce bag... atleast he got fire at the end... reminds me of one of my good friend's asshole boyfriend

Quoth Spanky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehK0WhPsNUw

P.S. I know some of you don't see the point, some of you don't care, and a few probably get off on spoiling people that might be running a couple days behind, but I think posts within 24-48 after the original airing should have "Spoiler" tags. Yeah, I'm a real fuckin' goody-goody. So the fuck what.

P.P.S. Along those lines
Anyone else think that "Jones" is Charles Widmore? Or were those guys part of his platoon and we have yet to meet him?

It says Season 5 in the title so clearly there will be talk about... season 5! Shocking I know.

So my rule is if you don't want to know about season 5 until you see it then fucking watch season 5!

Yep, no spoiler tags after it airs on the East Coast. As I said above that rule was decided upon and mod approved for TV show threads after discussion of the issue in the Heroes thread. People should have the since not to click on the thread after the show has aired on the East coast unless they've seen the most recent eps. Too annoying to have long discussions with everything in spoiler tags.

Anyway, great premier. Island traveling through time and space confirmed. Both the on island and off island (and 3 years in the future) storylines are interesting. Looks to be a good season.

[quote name='bsesb2003']I liked the show better when it did bring time travel into it.[/quote]

What? Are you saying you liked the show before and made a typo?

or are you saying you like the show better now?

So the premise of LOST now is now pretty much what Doc Brown and Marty McFly discovered-Time Travel is possible.

I'm waiting for Hurley to say "1.21 Jigawatts!"

the woman at the end, she was in the episode with desmond when he was skipping through time. i wonder if she is faradays mother as well. well maybe not, lostpedia says her name is mrs hawking

not the most exciting episode, but it did set the plot for the season, i wonder how many episodes bens 70 hour time frame will be stretched to, the whole season maybe?

i dont like sun, she seems like shes gonna be a cunt this season, thats too bad she was always so nice, and i think her left eye is lower than her right eye (maybe its the other way around), never noticed until she got all serious and cunty with widmore.

best scene of the season so far? sayid killing a guy with a dishwasher.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']best scene of the season so far? sayid killing a guy with a dishwasher.[/quote]
"I hope you're dishwasher proof, motherfucker!"

All I've got to say is they better not have jumped into a time travel story arc unless they can provide a clear explanation and resolution for what occurs. Which is going to be nearly impossible for all that's going on.

Heading into last night's premiere, the concept of time travel wasn't much of a shock since ABC showed a clip of the B-listers on the beach with Faraday talking about the camp "not having been built yet." I'm a little concerned, though, because time travel is what ultimately killed Heroes (according to Tim Kring), but I'm pretty confident in the ability of this show's writers to cover their bases. And confuse the shit out of me in the process. I love it.

What do you guys think about Faraday showing up in, what I'm guessing to be, the '70s? After watching the episode in its entirety, my guess is that he snuck into the Orchid during one of the "time skips" to prevent everything from ever happening. Because, to me, it looked like he was trying to hide his face under his hard hat.

I agree withe the previous poster who said he though Sun's character would take a turn for the worse. When she asked Kate "How's Jack," there was a sinister inflection to her tone, and I was SO waiting for them to play the Lost "oh-shit-something-crazy-just-happened" music. Jack even mentioned to Ben in last year's finale that Sun hated him and blamed him for Jin's death. Deep down, you can tell she really hated Kate and Aaron, too.

I also like how Alpert became a little more human than enigma in this episode when he helped treat John's wound and explain how he knew he would find him at the plane. He's always seemed mysterious (maybe it's the guy liner), but he seemed like a man following orders in last night's episode.

Finally, loved loved loved the scene where Locke rescues Juliet and Sawyer. He's been my favorite character since I began watching the show, and it's apparent the show's becoming more and more about Locke the further along we get in this series.

And FWIW, I obviously second Jollydwarf's idea of spoiler-tagging your stuff within a two-day timeframe. You can argue however you like, it's simply the decent thing to do for the unsuspecting.

The pace of "The Lie" was sooooo slow. Also, the scenes on the island were much better than the future scenes.

Hurley had some funny moments. Like when he threw the hot pocket, hah.

I'm really confused on why there's different ways to stop this time traveling thing from happening. There's Ben's way of bringing the 6 back to the island. There's Faraday's way, which he's still trying to figure out. Also, Locke has to die for some reason. And then there's Desmond. And finally, Sun and Widmore, who will probably try to kill Ben.

Need moar Locke scenes plz.

[quote name='ivanctorres']So the premise of LOST now is now pretty much what Doc Brown and Marty McFly discovered-Time Travel is possible.
[/quote]

Lost and Back to the Future time travel are completely different. Lost time travel is a string that can't be changed and you can't make a new string. Back to the Future 2 explains that a new string was made and that's why everything went to hell.

And I like how suddenly people are afraid LOST is about to jump a Dharma shark dealing with time travel, the show has been dealing with time travel for YEARS!

[quote name='bigdaddy']Lost and Back to the Future time travel are completely different. Lost time travel is a string that can't be changed and you can't make a new string. Back to the Future 2 explains that a new string was made and that's why everything went to hell.

And I like how suddenly people are afraid LOST is about to jump a Dharma shark dealing with time travel, the show has been dealing with time travel for YEARS![/quote]
What are you talking about? They already proved you can make a new string during the episode despite what Faraday said.

It's a slippery fuckin' slope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really...Desmond is "special". I bet it has something to do with him being Faraday's constant. From what I understood, he's the only one that's unaffected...basically on the sidelines of the time string.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']What are you talking about? They already proved you can make a new string during the episode despite what Faraday said.

It's a slippery fuckin' slope.[/quote]

Wha?

What if Faraday did what he was "suppose" to do.

What if that was according to the "string".

Didn't he look at his notebook first?

Yeah, he did check his notebook first...but I was under the impression that he found out that his red headed friend was going to die, and to be followed by everyone else, unless the "survivors" return to the island. So he took it upon himself to try to change the future...he went to Desmond because he knew he's his constant and is somehow special when it comes to the time traveling timeline.

It seems like Locke is adjusting the string all over the place. He gave instructions to Alpert to come help him after Alpert helped him (welcome to paradox), and he appears to have killed a Dharma Initiative employee while saving Juliet & Sawyer.

If the explanation is "it was just fated to happen that way", the story becomes a lot less interesting to me.

Overall, the two parter was just 'eh' to me. Obviously it's setting things up for the season, but there were very few wow moments for me - something I expect in my Lost dosage.

[quote name='kojubat']It seems like Locke is adjusting the string all over the place. He gave instructions to Alpert to come help him after Alpert helped him (welcome to paradox), and he appears to have killed a Dharma Initiative employee while saving Juliet & Sawyer.

If the explanation is "it was just fated to happen that way", the story becomes a lot less interesting to me.

Overall, the two parter was just 'eh' to me. Obviously it's setting things up for the season, but there were very few wow moments for me - something I expect in my Lost dosage.[/quote]
You can't change the string in the past. Locke was changing things in the near future to change the future. If that makes sense... So, anything you do in the past won't affect the future. Locke gave instructions to Alpert in the future, to change the .....fock I'm confused now.

I found myself wondering if Locke post-gunshot and the rest of the islanders were in two different time periods. When he collapsed next to the downed plane, I assume that the plane had fallen from the canopy and was now resting on top of where Locke found the hatch (presumably still covered at this point). Moments earlier, the other islanders were at what they believed to be the hatch (now uncovered and blown up).

Locke and the rest of the crew are time traveling at the same time in the same spots. It looked a little weird because they switched perspectives after John traveled to show what the rest of the crew were doing before they traveled themselves.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']the woman at the end, she was in the episode with desmond when he was skipping through time. i wonder if she is faradays mother as well. well maybe not, lostpedia says her name is mrs hawking
[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing that's also Faraday's mother, who Desmond was sent to visit in Oxford by Faraday.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Not really...Desmond is "special". I bet it has something to do with him being Faraday's constant. From what I understood, he's the only one that's unaffected...basically on the sidelines of the time string.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that Desmond is special, but rather the Daniel/Desmond relationship is special and Daniel is Desmonds constant. So perhaps he will be the only one who can communicate with Desmond in any given time period.

Now Albert and the others... that's a whole other story, obviously they aren't affected by the time jumps, so their connection to the island... who knows. Maybe the gang will jump back in time far enough that we can finally find out what the four-toed statue is all about.

[quote name='shinryuu']You can't change the string in the past. Locke was changing things in the near future to change the future. If that makes sense... So, anything you do in the past won't affect the future. Locke gave instructions to Alpert in the future, to change the .....fock I'm confused now.[/QUOTE]

Alpert specifically said he didn't know who Locke was when he received the instructions, so the instructions were given to him in the past. Also, the Dharma guy getting a knife to the chest was also in the past.

[quote name='JJSP']I found myself wondering if Locke post-gunshot and the rest of the islanders were in two different time periods. When he collapsed next to the downed plane, I assume that the plane had fallen from the canopy and was now resting on top of where Locke found the hatch (presumably still covered at this point). Moments earlier, the other islanders were at what they believed to be the hatch (now uncovered and blown up).[/QUOTE]

Two different hatches. The plane fell on the Pearl station with the monitoring televisions. The hatch the other group found was the Swan, where the numbers needed to be entered.

Additionally, considering Ms Hawking is shown to be in league with Ben, it becomes a possibility that the whole "you can't change what is meant to be" is a lie they've told to Desmond (and perhaps Faraday).

Both episodes were kinda weak. But I think it was more because of the new past scenes and future scenes format. It's just two A plots fighting eachother rather than one A plot and the old B plot flashbacks.

I suspect that he's dead off island, but will return to life if he returns to the island (assuming the body is in good shape--which I'm guessing is why he's having it stored at a butcher's, presumably in a freezer).

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm guessing that's also Faraday's mother, who Desmond was sent to visit in Oxford by Faraday.[/quote]

I agree.

And in past years we had only one group per episode, and it would be several episodes before we saw the same group again. They should have done that. One episode island, another mainland.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm guessing that's also Faraday's mother, who Desmond was sent to visit in Oxford by Faraday.[/quote]

Probably not, as Faraday's mother lives in Oxford and Ben was still in Los Angeles. There's no way he managed to get all the way to Oxford in the course of an afternoon.

True. But then again Faraday was on the island and told Desmond to visit his mother in Oxford. He had no way of knowing where his mother was at the time.

When Desmond was time traveling last year wasn't he in Oxford when he ran into that woman?

[quote name='dmaul1114']True. But then again Faraday was on the island and told Desmond to visit his mother in Oxford. He had no way of knowing where his mother was at the time.

When Desmond was time traveling last year wasn't he in Oxford when he ran into that woman?[/quote]

Not sure--could have been. Perhaps they send Desmond to Oxford only to find out she's in LA.

[quote name='dmaul1114']True. But then again Faraday was on the island and told Desmond to visit his mother in Oxford. He had no way of knowing where his mother was at the time.

When Desmond was time traveling last year wasn't he in Oxford when he ran into that woman?[/QUOTE]

I think that he was in London, she ran a jewlery store.

bread's done
Back