[STEAM] Dawn of War: Soulstorm $7.50

I was waiting for something like this... oy! Might jump on it. I'm not a true CAG when it comes to titles I really want. I have my pre-order up for Amazon, but I was thinking of cancelling and paying an extra $6 to get DoW2 at a store on day of release... basically saving me a week. If I'm willing to do that, why not spend $7.50 to play the beta sooner? Edit: jumped.

Hrrrrgh. Think I'm gonna jump on this. Bought DoW 1, Winter Assault, and Dark Crusade all when they were brand new, but by the time Soulstorm rolled around I was completely burnt out after a few years of constant play. Then I heard it was pretty unsatisfactory compared to the other expansions, but for $7.50? Damn.

STOP THE PRESSES! Actually, you just have to pre-order DoW2 on Steam! Doing that, versus say Amazon, would save me $10, assuming I can refund my Soulstorm purchase (and would buy SS anyway.)

I bought this back when it was $20 and part of the Dawn of War Complete Pack a few weeks ago. I should of waited.

Oh well, I'm downloading the beta now.

Question for anyone who has this and the retail copies of DoW/WA/DC. Is it a pain in the ass to get the Steam version to unlock the original races for multiplayer? I know there was a way to spoof DC into thinking you had the previous ones installed by just throwing your CD keys in registry files and keeping the exes, but I wasn't sure if the Steam version of Soulstorm handled things differently.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Question for anyone who has this and the retail copies of DoW/WA/DC. Is it a pain in the ass to get the Steam version to unlock the original races for multiplayer? I know there was a way to spoof DC into thinking you had the previous ones installed by just throwing your CD keys in registry files and keeping the exes, but I wasn't sure if the Steam version of Soulstorm handled things differently.[/QUOTE]

Same question for me as well. I have physical copies of all the other DoW games...will steam version of Soulstorm work with them?

[quote name='themothman421']Same question for me as well. I have physical copies of all the other DoW games...will steam version of Soulstorm work with them?[/quote]

From the STEAM store page for Soulstorm:

Does not require the original Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War game to play. Will work with boxed retail or Steam versions of Dawn of War - Gold Edition and Dawn of War - Dark Crusade.

Picked this up...and while I can't vouch for online-multiplayer (don't feel like creating an account right now), I did a skirmish, and I had all races unlocked, even though I've never bought a DoW game before. If someone wouldn't mind confirming, seems this unlocks all the races for you.

Yeah campaign and skirmish both have all the races unlocked. Didn't go online though. Haven't played in over a year and didn't want to embarrass myself.

[quote name='Serik']From the STEAM store page for Soulstorm:

Does not require the original Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War game to play. Will work with boxed retail or Steam versions of Dawn of War - Gold Edition and Dawn of War - Dark Crusade.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Soulstorm is standalone. But to play all the races online, you had to have Dark Crusade/Winter Assault/Dawn of War all installed. Worked the same as Dark Crusade did. Then there was a way to get it to think the others were installed by just slapping your CD keys for them in, but I didn't know if it worked on the Steam version.

FYI, you can also register your retail Soulstorm CD-key with Steam and get access to the online beta, as well as online installations of your copy of Soulstorm. Quite nice.

I tried the other DoW games, but those CD-keys were not recognized. It would be handy to have them all on Steam, as installing all of them from disc (with patches) takes about two hours. (And I am too cheap to buy them "again" from Steam.)

Is the THQ Collector Pack worth it?
"Items included:

Company of Heroes

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts

Frontlines™: Fuel of War™

Full Spectrum Warrior

Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers

Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Titan Quest

Titan Quest - Immortal Throne

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Gold Edition

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War - Soulstorm"

I don't own any of these games.

Dawn of War is great, Soul Storm isn't bad, the patches help a lot. I know I'll be playing Soul Storm online a lot, I'm having a lot of mixed feelings about Dawn of War 2 (I don't think I'll be buying it from what I've been playing so far).

I love Relic games. I'm a huge fan of Homeworld, Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes. You should check out the review average for those games on metacritic.

[quote name='Twoje']Is the THQ Collector Pack worth it?

I don't own any of these games.[/quote]

It's not a bad deal. If you love strategy games, Company of Heroes and the Dawn of War series are excellent. If you ever played Diablo and wished you had a clone of it, Titan's Quest is really good and very well done visually.

As for the rest I really don't know. But if you bought the above I mentioned, that comes to $80 on Steam. So I guess $19 isn't bad for the rest if they seem like your style of game. I haven't played them much to know or offer advice. :(

I don't own any of these games.[/QUOTE]

I hear Fuel of War is under rated. Also Chernobyl has gotten pretty good reviews. No idea about the rest.

I don't own any of these games.[/quote]

i had fuel of war for a while. it had an interesting backstory and a pretty cool take on the control point gameplay (capture these 3-5 points to advance). when i tried to go online though, the server browser was pretty buggy and i could hardly find any games. i got rid of the game soon after and cannot comment on how it is now. hope this helped.

Niiiice find
2.gif

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I hear Fuel of War is under rated. Also Chernobyl has gotten pretty good reviews. No idea about the rest.[/quote]

I haven't played Frontline: Fuel of War but looking at the server/player counts (http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?search=&type=server&location=all&game=ffow&x=3&y=12&num=30) you won't be finding very many players to play with.

$7.50 for SS is great! I have all the other DoW games on retail but $7.50 for SS it's a steal! :)

I hope they end up doing something similar for CoH when Tales is near release.

bread's done
Back