Half.com buyer protection claim-- chance of success?

Ryuukishi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So I bought a "Brand New" game on Half.com, and received one that's clearly used. I contacted the seller to say that I would send it back if he'd refund my money, but he's giving me the runaround. :(

I'm curious about CAGs' experiences filing a claim with Half (hopefully this situation won't come to that but I'm not optimistic at this point). Is customer service any good? Am I likely to "win" a claim? How long does it take for a refund to be processed?

Wish me luck...

You're lucky you even got a response from the seller. I've had two problems in the last month with different sellers, and didn't get a single reply.

Half.com's customer service is basically nonexistant. I filed a claim for the first problematic transaction, but haven't heard anything back from Half.com after a few weeks. Not holding my breath at this point... At least with my second transaction, I ordered for items and only one of them turned out to be misrepresented, so if the son of a bitch continues to ignore my complaint, I can leave them four negative feedbacks.

I don't understand why people list things in shit condition under "Brand New" and "Like New" so frequently. I'm always very truthful and specific with my listings, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect other sellers to be the same way.

I've not had a problem with purchases on half, so I can't relate too much there. They are owned by ebay, which typically sides with the buyer, though without PayPal as a middleman, I don't know how that will play out.

Sounds like your best option would be to put a claim against the guy.

From half.com:

An item is "materially different" from the way it was rated - An item is materially different if it does not work, is damaged, or varies significantly in quality from the way it is listed. Many items listed at Half.com are previously-owned, so some wear and tear is to be expected. However, there are several clear cases of material difference that should not occur. As a general rule, an item should never be more than 2 condition descriptions below its listed condition. To learn more about quality conditions, please consult Quality Rating policy. Some types of material differences might be: international editions listed in an inappropriate category; pdf files; solutions manuals with no ISBN, etc.

After you have attempted to contact the seller and no resolution could be reached, you may file a claim through the Half.com Buyer Protection Policy. You may not contact the seller (or submit a Buyer Protection Policy Claim to Half.com) if you have instructed your credit card company to charge back the disputed item. Buyers who go through their credit card company to dispute a charge may lose their privilege to buy or sell on Half.com

Buyer Return Policy

If you receive an item different than described, damaged, not of stated quality, or the package arrives empty, you can use Half.com's Email Forwarding System to contact the seller and resolve the issue.

• Click the My Account link near the top right of the page. You may be asked to sign in.
  • Click the Purchases link. Your most recent purchases will be listed on this page.
    • If the purchase in question is not on this page, you can choose a past view from the drop down menu to the right next to "Period:" Then click "Go"
    • If the purchase in question is not on this page and you have the transaction number, enter it in the "View Transaction:" box and click the "Go" button.
    • If the purchase in question is not on this page and you have the transaction number, enter it in the "Search Transaction" box and click the "Search button."
  • Once you've located the purchase, click the corresponding "Contact Seller" link on the right side of the screen. We strongly recommend that you send a copy of this email to your self. "Send me a copy of this email." button will be checked by default

With seller approval or the approval of Half.com, a buyer may return an item. This would include empty packages. Sellers may need the empty package in order to submit a shipping carrier claim. A buyer will have 7 days to return an item once the return has been authorized. A tracking/delivery confirmation number must be provided by the buyer if a seller disputes receipt or the timeliness of the return. In the event of a dispute, a full refund may not be issued if the item was not shipped within 7 days of return approval or if tracking/delivery confirmation cannot be provided by the buyer. As the shipper at this point, the buyer is responsible for the item reaching the seller and we strongly urge buyers to purchase shipping insurance since Half.com is not responsible for loss or damage during shipping.
Half.com reserves the right to make the final decision regarding refunds in these matters. We urge buyers and sellers to keep copies of all email correspondence related to the return. Please note that items purchased from Half.com sellers need to be returned directly to the seller and not to Half.com. Half.com approval to return would come through the Claim process. Return shipping is reimbursed at no more than the shipping amount originally paid. NOTE: Sellers must provide a United States return shipping address.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']You're lucky you even got a response from the seller. I've had two problems in the last month with different sellers, and didn't get a single reply.[/quote]
Yeah, the situation's not as bad as it could be. The seller replied to my contact, at least initially, so now I have his full name and email address and it'll be tough for him to hide from me. Plus at least I have a game in hand, even though it's not in the condition I paid for, so worst case I can resell it and recover some of what I paid.

It's my own fault for not reading the seller's feedback closely enough. On closer inspection, he had lots of positive feedback for selling used items, but also several comments about trying to pass off used items as new. Lesson learned, read the specific comments and don't just assume that a heap of positives means smooth sailing.

Another question about Half.com's claim rules: They say that they will suspend my account if I try to get a credit card chargeback rather than settling it within their system. That wouldn't bother me too much, I've rarely used Half anyway and after this I'm even less likely to in the future. But would a suspended Half.com account affect my eBay account, since Half is owned by eBay and the login/feedback is shared? I definitely don't want to take a chance of losing my eBay account. Anyone know?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Another question about Half.com's claim rules: They say that they will suspend my account if I try to get a credit card chargeback rather than settling it within their system. That wouldn't bother me too much, I've rarely used Half anyway and after this I'm even less likely to in the future. But would a suspended Half.com account affect my eBay account, since Half is owned by eBay and the login/feedback is shared? I definitely don't want to take a chance of losing my eBay account. Anyone know?[/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure, but I probably wouldn't risk it. I guess it depends on how much money I lost on the initial purchase.

Anyways, I wanted to bump this because I just received good news good news - today I received a full refund on the crap-condition game I filed a claim for last month! From what I understand, Half.com tries to get in touch with the other party first to force them to take the game back and issue you a refund, but it seems like they couldn't reach the guy at all, because I got a full refund without having to send back the game. Justice prevails!

I buy off of half and amazon marketplace all the time, and haven't had an issue in well years (when I bought a clearly "buffed" copy of Sonic Adventure 2, which wouldn't work) the seller took it back no problems.

My only advice is be very picky about what you buy, and if its too good to be true, don't expect shrink wrapped perfection, I don't because the cheaper the better, and as long as it doesn't look like they used 30 grit sandpaper on it I'm fine.

Ask questions, you know you are allowed to do that, especially if the description lacks, I got a copy of GTA 4 after passing on 4 other cheaper copies because none listed that they were complete and I wanted both the map and manual with it. The case was a bit scuffed, and some fingerprints on the disc, but I think I got a pretty good deal otherwise. But the point is, unless you don't want something snapped out from under you and are willing to take it "as is", send the seller a question and see if it's in a condition you are willing to take.

Been shopping there for 6 years and really haven't had any major issues to complain about, it's one of my favorite places to snap up cheap stuff. Just be a cautious and inquisitive buyer, if you get a funny feeling about something either ask or pass on it, easy enough. ;)

Well I got my refund from the seller without having to file a claim. He kept trying to claim that the unwrapped, scuffed up, obviously used game I received was "Brand New," but caved when I said I would file a claim if I didn't get my refund immediately. This is one time I'm glad for the new feedback rules; this tool definitely would have left a retaliatory neg.

I brought 3 new games from a zero feedback user and they were all used. The seller claimed that she listed brand new because they are in good shape. And she wants to charge $10 for shipping

Here is what she wrote

"I wrote that they were brand new because the games are
in pristine condition and they have been well taken care of. They were not
damaged and everything that should be in the box is in there. And they
should be operational in your game consoles.
If you want to send it back, that's fine. I'll give you a refund, and I'll ask is that my shipping fees are returned, which were ten dollars. "

[quote name='62t']I brought 3 new games from a zero feedback user and they were all used. The seller claimed that she listed brand new because they are in good shape. And she wants to charge $10 for shipping

Here is what she wrote

"I wrote that they were brand new because the games are
in pristine condition and they have been well taken care of. They were not
damaged and everything that should be in the box is in there. And they
should be operational in your game consoles.
If you want to send it back, that's fine. I'll give you a refund, and I'll ask is that my shipping fees are returned, which were ten dollars. "[/QUOTE]

Ha, absolutely not. Half.com has clear guidelines for their "New" items (though it's not like anybody ever follows those, sadly). She misrepresented her items, and now she has to deal with the consequences. Not to mention you'll probably still be on the hook for return shipping. If you send them back to her, *be sure* to use Delivery Confirmation, because it sounds like she'll probably try to screw you over.

If you send a message and get an unsatisfying response, send a message saying you will make a claim. if they don't respond, make a claim and you'll be fine.

bread's done
Back