Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer [Limited Edition] (PC) $10 at Play-Asia

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
p2.gif
Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer [Limited Edition]

That is a pretty good deal. I remember watching Play-Asia spam that game pre-order all over there site. Looks like a good time to buy.

Thanks!

comes with a soundtrack which being only 10, not too shabby.

but for the PC, only 12 levels, pretty short if only hard.

I think I said this before, but it would be awesome if you got a discount on the PSN version or got it for free if you bought this. Has anyone played on the PC with a pad?

[quote name='xrayzwei']I think I said this before, but it would be awesome if you got a discount on the PSN version or got it for free if you bought this. Has anyone played on the PC with a pad?[/QUOTE]

I have played the PC version with a pad. Feels like a console game.

Just fyi, this game doesn't work properly on Vista 64 and the creator has basically said that he's too lazy to fix it. Some people are able to remove some of their RAM to get it to work but it never worked for me regardless of what I did. Also, "high definition graphics in 720p" should read "too lazy to make sprites at 1920x1200 so people who game at *the most popular resolution* can enjoy it without it looking like crap."

Pretty poor for a paid product.

[quote name='JCDenton']Just fyi, this game doesn't work properly on Vista 64 and the creator has basically said that he's too lazy to fix it. Some people are able to remove some of their RAM to get it to work but it never worked for me regardless of what I did. Also, "high definition graphics in 720p" should read "too lazy to make sprites at 1920x1200 so people who game at *the most popular resolution* can enjoy it without it looking like crap."

Pretty poor for a paid product.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the vista 64 note

[quote name='JCDenton']Just fyi, this game doesn't work properly on Vista 64 and the creator has basically said that he's too lazy to fix it. Some people are able to remove some of their RAM to get it to work but it never worked for me regardless of what I did. Also, "high definition graphics in 720p" should read "too lazy to make sprites at 1920x1200 so people who game at *the most popular resolution* can enjoy it without it looking like crap."

Pretty poor for a paid product.[/quote]

yea... thanks for the heads up. i was about to buy this, but i've got vista 64. i'll just have to go with the psn version when it drops one day.

I just bought it. I've been waiting a long time for this. I also had some affiliate earning and brought the total price down to about $5.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I know every game has a limited addition but come on! It's a side scrolling shooter for God's sake.[/QUOTE] While you may not care for the genre, it doesn't mean others wouldn't want a collector's edition.

[quote name='JCDenton']Just fyi, this game doesn't work properly on Vista 64 and the creator has basically said that he's too lazy to fix it. ... Also, "high definition graphics in 720p" should read "too lazy to make sprites at 1920x1200 so people who game at *the most popular resolution* can enjoy it without it looking like crap."[/QUOTE]

Here's the response from the forums about this issue:
We confirm that SoldnerX won't run on several Vista 64 machines with 3+ GB ram. Our developers have confirmed that unfortunately this is a system problem of Windows Vista. Because the problem occurs in drivers and libraries which are part of the operating system, and not in the SoldnerX game, we see currently no possibility to fix this with a patch.
I wouldn't read that as "he's too lazy to fix it", but rather his hands are tied in this situation.

[quote name='Thrinn']What do you expect for $10 that provides a boxed copy of the game?[/QUOTE]

This game was selling for $40 for quite a while.

[quote name='Thrinn']Here's the response from the forums about this issue:
I wouldn't read that as "he's too lazy to fix it", but rather his hands are tied in this situation.[/QUOTE]

Umm, that's a bullshit copout explanation *precisely* because he is too lazy to fix it. I've installed close to 100 games on my Vista 64 system and all but a few (

In for one. I've been very curious about this game since I saw an article in Play about a year ago. $15 with shipping for the full collectors set is enough of an incentive to bite.

If I don't like it, I'll just donate it to the game library at work. :)

sucks this game wont work with 64-bit vista... I really wanted to get this. I guess PSN will have to do. Anyone have impressions on the game before I take the plunge?

Oh god, I love LE's and artbooks and crap, but I know I'll never, ever play this....decisions decisisons

[quote name='oscillate']sucks this game wont work with 64-bit vista... I really wanted to get this. I guess PSN will have to do. Anyone have impressions on the game before I take the plunge?[/QUOTE]

Very pretty shooter, but as a shmup, it is kinda meh. Not a bad game, just average.

[quote name='Chronis']Wow, I remember last year, PA was hyping this game up beyond belief. Sorta sad to see this is what it's come to.[/quote]

Unfortunately, that's what hype is mostly used for nowadays: Drumming up sales before word spreads of the actual quality of a product. Once the hype dies down sales usually drop to the floor, especially when the item is meh, faulty or (in this case) both.

I think it's a good deal, but I would only pay about $5 for it.

[quote name='JCDenton']Umm, that's a bullshit copout explanation *precisely* because he is too lazy to fix it.[/QUOTE] How many games have you programmed on a 32-bit platform and then ported to a 64-bit platform? Of those games, how many have as many lines of code as this game? If your answer is "none," then you likely don't have a grasp on the actual amount of work it can take to port the code.

It's important to realize the amount of work it takes to patch a game to another hardware platform vs. the cost of doing so. Has there ever been a company that gives you a PS3 copy of a game for free when you buy the Xbox 360 version?

[quote name='JCDenton']This game was selling for $40 for quite a while.

Umm, that's a bullshit copout explanation *precisely* because he is too lazy to fix it. I've installed close to 100 games on my Vista 64 system and all but a few (

regarding the vista 64 3+gbs of memory problem, I wonder if there is a workaround. Vampire Masquerade had, what sounds to me, like the same problem with vista 64 and an unofficial patch was written that solved it.

bread's done
Back