Sonic Unleashed for PS3 for 26.99 + FS at Newegg

This game had some pretty harsh reviews...anybody played or have opinions on this that would convince me to buy it for $27??

[quote name='Duke']This game had some pretty harsh reviews...anybody played or have opinions on this that would convince me to buy it for $27??[/quote]

Did you try the demo at least...Its awful!

I've only played the demo, and if you are a fan of the classic sonic and willing to sit through all the BS parts that aren't just Sonic running through levels, then it's worth it.
I enjoyed the 1up review for it the most. Although it seems they've changed the score since I last read it. Maybe I'm hallucinating.
1up was reviewing the 360 version though, I assume they're the same.
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171439&p=4&sec=REVIEWS

[quote name='i4ybrid']I've only played the demo, and if you are a fan of the classic sonic and willing to sit through all the BS parts that aren't just Sonic running through levels, then it's worth it.
I enjoyed the 1up review for it the most. Although it seems they've changed the score since I last read it. Maybe I'm hallucinating.
1up was reviewing the 360 version though, I assume they're the same.
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171439&p=4&sec=REVIEWS[/quote]

They are. The 360/PS3 versions were developed by Sonic Team, and have a hub world, while Dimps (who developed Sonic Advance on the GBA and Sonic Rush on the DS) did the daytime levels for Wii/PS2. I bought the PS2 version for $10 over Black Friday, and it wasn't a bad deal. The game is pretty fun, though I didn't really like the PS3 demo all too much.

Quite frankly, I just wish Sega would try ONE time to do something like MEga Man 9/Prince of Persia Classic in which they build a traditional 2D Sonic game, with new levels but updated graphically etc, and release it over PSN/XBLA (potentially WiiWare). Consoles seem to be cursed for Sonic, since he is putting out some pretty good games on handhelds (Sonic Rush/Advance) but Sonic 06 was abysmal, and Unleashed to me was only a few steps above that. Young gamers today would wonder why this guy commands so much selling power now, and would probably be shocked to hear that he was Mario's biggest competitor back in the good ol' days.

I got this for $25 from Amazon around Black Friday. The day levels are great, but I hate the fact that I have to try to figure out what world I'm supposed to go to next. Just give me x number of levels in a particular order and make me play it that way. That's how Sonic games are meant to be.

[quote name='One4Deuce']I got this for $25 from Amazon around Black Friday. The day levels are great, but I hate the fact that I have to try to figure out what world I'm supposed to go to next. Just give me x number of levels in a particular order and make me play it that way. That's how Sonic games are meant to be.[/quote]
you speak the truth haha and night levels are eh kinda bland, day is fun tho

Read reviews, people: this game isn't even worth $10, and, like 90% of the other 3D Sonic games, is shameful to the franchise. The demo is lousy, and it's supposedly representing one of the "higher" points of the game.

[quote name='Duke']This game had some pretty harsh reviews...anybody played or have opinions on this that would convince me to buy it for $27??[/quote]

I paid $21 when Amazon had their crazy sales in December. The game isn't worth $5. I traded it in at Gamestop and broke even.

Don't know what's with all the hate for the demo, I thought it was great. If they got rid of the night cycles and all the levels played like the demo, I'd pick it up at this price no doubt.

I tried Sonic Unleashed while back, didn't like it.
iy.gif

iy.gif

It will be cheaper soon. I promise.

Its not a good game and with White Knight or whatever coming out for the Wii Sonic fans will move on and this will be in the bargin bin

I played the demo for this on 360. I found the fast Sonic parts to be incredibly frustrating. This was supposed to be the good part of the game and I hated it.
I don't think I'd buy this game at $5, because I really don't want to play it.

Well the demo was fun!

If I see it for 15 bucks or less I'll bite. I have a blast running through that Demo level -- thats how Sonic should be! (stupid Werehog!)

Is the PS3 version the same as the Wii version? I rented the Wii version and really enjoyed it. My son enjoyed watching it too. I downloaded the PS3 demo and had a bear of a time getting thru the fast part. Don't know why that was.

[quote name='amheck']Is the PS3 version the same as the Wii version? I rented the Wii version and really enjoyed it. My son enjoyed watching it too. I downloaded the PS3 demo and had a bear of a time getting thru the fast part. Don't know why that was.[/quote]

They are not. The 360/PS3 versions use a hub world or something like that, while the Wii/PS2 versions do not. I wrote a bit about what I found in an earlier post in this thread, but basically the day levels on the Wii/PS2 versions are fewer, but designed better (by Dimps who did Sonic Advance and Rush on the GBA and DS) while the day levels on the 360/PS3 are by Team Sonic who brought us Sonic 06.

The games have the same titles and the same premises, but the 360/PS3 version is quite different from the Wii/PS2 version, though the rankings for both on aggregate sites are roughly the same, though the PS2/Wii version has gotten slightly better reviews (they're all hovering around 60-70%, with Wii/PS2 closer to/at 70%).

bread's done
Back