Keyboard - to learn piano

Koggit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I want to take a piano class at my school, but they don't have a very basic intro class, you need some experience. I'd like to learn a bit on a keyboard and then perhaps take the class (but, if teaching myself is going well I may just stick with the keyboard and continue learning on my own).

This is one of Amazon's top sellers: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-LK100-Lighted-Keyboard-Accessories/dp/B000KVRQ60/

But all the reviewers mention like "for my seven year old daughter" which is a bit of a deterrent.

Should I get one of these light-up keyboards or just a standard model?

I'm also not really wanting to spend that much, but if Amazon's any indication I may not be able to find much cheaper.

Any tips about learning keyboard/piano appreciated, even if not directly related to which keyboard to buy/not buy.

I've been thinking about possibly trying to learn the Piano as well, but I have absolutely no room for a piano here at home.

Can you learn the piano effectively on a keyboard?

What I want to know is if they make those cardboard things you set on a keyboard that tell you what keys are what. I need one of those!

Well that keyboard is good for a never played piano/keyboard before kinda person. Its only sounds are midi's that is usually why they don't sound good. They do not have sustain pedals(lets the notes ring out), nor do they have weighted keys(piano keys are made of wood making the feel heavy but these are made of light plastic. There are key boards that are made of heavy key to feel like a piano but that will run you more money.) You can learn piano on keyboard but at a certain point you will out grow it and either a digital piano(around $400) or a real piano($500+) but that can take a while.

This is essentially the same as amazons item but no extra stuff. You can also purchase this which will help you with the operation of your keyboard although it already comes with some Sennheiser headphones which seem pretty good quality. You don't have to buy the survival kit, its not necessary but you will need a stand that cost and I found one for 15 bucks about 5 bucks lower then usual. All of this should be free shipping because they always have had free shipping w/ orders over $100.

Keyboard
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfrie...RE213-Electronic-Portable-Keyboard?sku=702174

Survival kit
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards/digital-pianos

Stand
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/OnStage-Stands-Standard-Keyboard-Stand?sku=450385

Although I would advise against teaching yourself especially piano. You can learn many bad habits that will be very hard to correct later down the line. Its best to learn the right way from the beginning. Sometimes my students that taught themselves can spend weeks on correcting bad habits and still have trouble while new students learn faster and better from the get go.

Im not saying that teaching yourself is bad but getting a teacher(well a good teacher) will help you immensely and will help you develop much faster. If you guys choose to not get a teacher I can find some sites that will help fill the gap of no teacher.

Sorry for the wall of text but I hope it helped.

Edit: Most beginner(like the ones above) keyboards have the note names written on the plastic part above the keys. If not you can always put tape above the key and letter in.

Thanks -- appreciated.

I can't afford lessons. I may be able to find some torrents of instructional videos or something, though.

What do you think of the light-up keyboards? Gimmick-y or helpful?

That Yamaha looks nice, it looks less like a toy and is more affordable.

I'm not a big fan of the lighted keyboards as I feel it provides too much of a crutch to actually learn. If you're really onset on learning where the notes are placed, I would find one that either has the labels above the keys or label the keys with tape until you feel comfortable.

I know piano lessons can be expensive, but as a previous poster mentioned there are so many bad habits that can be learned that can make it much more difficult to fix later on down the line. Even if you only take a few months of lessons then try to continue on your own, those first few months are very crucial to learn correct fingering techniques. Nothing can replace years of teaching and instruction but I would at the very minimum recommend that.

When looking for a keyboard, there are a few things I would be looking for. Weighted keys and weight sensitivity. I really don't think you should skimp too much when you're buying an instrument to learn, but you can get by sometimes. I would take a look at something like a Yamaha YPG-235 which should be pretty close in price to what you were looking at originally.

You could also try Craigslist as well, you can sometimes find a decent deal of a parent whose kid gave up piano.

Also if you get a chance, try and stop by a music store that has a display of keyboards and sit down and just "play" them to see if you can find one you feel comfortable with. You can get a better feel of what you're looking for in any case.

Are there any colleges near you Koggit? You might could convince a local music student to give you lessons.

Musictheory.net is a nice, free site if you want to teach yourself. But I still recommend like the others have said to seek tutelage. You can form some bad habits unknowingly if you're unaware of what's proper or improvise how something is suppose to work like fingering.

Sorry about not posting. That other yamaha is pretty good but I personally wouldn't pay that much for my first keyboard but if you would like it more power to you.

Musictheory.net isn't a good piano learning site. It won't show you much on piano except maybe chords and how to build them. Its a theory site and theory and piano are different.

The best way to learn is from a teacher. Obviously lessons are expensive but if there is some way you can take a course at a local community college I'd definitely recommend that. I took a beginner piano course at my community college and it taught me a lot. I feel I can teach myself the rest now, but starting from nothing and trying to learn from a computer is much more difficult.

Also if possible, take a music fundamentals class along with the piano class. The music fundamentals class will teach you to read music more in depth and have you better prepared for when you practice the piano.

On a keyboard, just get a basic 61-key keyboard that has touch sensitivity. Preferably a Yamaha, but even a Casio should do. Like Bluelobstah said, don't get one with lighted keys for practicing, because you'll be learning the wrong way. It won't help in the long run.

[quote name='Z3120']You can form some bad habits unknowingly if you're unaware of what's proper or improvise how something is suppose to work like fingering.[/QUOTE]

Is that what she said?

bread's done
Back