ASUS EEE PC 1000HE 10″ Netbook Pre-Order: $339.44

chinster

CAGiversary!
Asus is releasing their newest model of the Asus EEE PC. 10 inch screen, new Atom N280 processor (a tad bit faster than the current Atom N270), and a whopping 9.5 hour battery life.

The battery life is rated with all settings low and no Wifi, so the real life battery life will be 1-2 hours less.

To get the deal you need to buy from J&R and use the Microsoft Live Cash Back program (gets you an additional 7% off).

Link to Live Cash Back program: http://search.live.com/cashback
Link to J&R site: http://www.jr.com/asus/pe/ASU_EPC1000EBLU/

I wrote some more details about this deal at my blog. If you like the deals that I post up, please check out my site.

[quote name='JolietJake']The battery must be pretty large to get that kind of life.[/quote]

The 6 cell battery is actually flush with the laptop, so no bulge or anything.

What exactly is a netbook? Is it pretty much a low-spec notebook meant for Internet browsing and word processing? That would probably be perfect for me. I've been looking for a laptop to go well with the desktop I'm building. I bought an expensive HP dv6567cl and I've had so many problems with it. I wanted gaming in a laptop, but laptops are just too much hassle to be used that way, so I was going to build a gaming PC and get a casual laptop. I take it this is a good price for one? I don't know much about cheap notebooks. I want something that runs cool and silent and is energy efficient. It seems like this would have everything, but I just want to make sure before I bite (when I get the cash anyway).

[quote name='EeveeFanboy']What exactly is a netbook? Is it pretty much a low-spec notebook meant for Internet browsing and word processing? That would probably be perfect for me. I've been looking for a laptop to go well with the desktop I'm building. I bought an expensive HP dv6567cl and I've had so many problems with it. I wanted gaming in a laptop, but laptops are just too much hassle to be used that way, so I was going to build a gaming PC and get a casual laptop. I take it this is a good price for one? I don't know much about cheap notebooks. I want something that runs cool and silent and is energy efficient. It seems like this would have everything, but I just want to make sure before I bite (when I get the cash anyway).[/quote]
Yep, that's pretty much exactly what a netbook is for. They're quite nice for traveling around with, because they're small and light.

Wow, the 6 cell for my MSI wind is supposed to get around 5 hours i think, there is a 9 cell but it isn't flush. I'd like to know how this thing can get 9 hours on a 6 cell.

[quote name='tokerblue']Great specs and look, but I really wish more companies would follow the HP Mini's keyboard. Particularly the right shift key.

http://pic.voroa.com/2008-10-29/hp-mini-h-top-002.jpg[/quote]

its an awesome looking keyboard, but i tried it at the store today. The flatness of the keys makes it hard to feel where each key ends. There would need to be more space in between or something.

[quote name='JolietJake']Wow, the 6 cell for my MSI wind is supposed to get around 5 hours i think, there is a 9 cell but it isn't flush. I'd like to know how this thing can get 9 hours on a 6 cell.[/quote]
Newer, more efficient processor and this thing called the Super Hybrid Engine, which is supposed to really help with battery life.

[quote name='chinster']its an awesome looking keyboard, but i tried it at the store today. The flatness of the keys makes it hard to feel where each key ends. There would need to be more space in between or something.[/QUOTE]

I've been interested in getting a netbook from Asus for a while. I've narrowed down my choices to the 1000HE, N10, and S101. I'd really like to try the 1000HE in person though. What store did you go to test it out?

I've had mine for about 5 days now. Really like the "he." I'm rediscovering older games on it. Installed Baldur's Gate II (and with a llittle work was modded to run 1024x600), Fallout 2, and some other older fare. Ordered Morrowind and Icewind Dale II from Goozex for cheeeap.

But much to my surprise the Puzzle Quest Galactrix Demo works (with a couple of hiccups) and World of Goo is flawless. So I think I will be doing some gaming on my netbook. :)

Good to know that it can still play some games, not that that's what I'll be using it for ;)

I decided to bite the bullet and order it from J&R, along with some new headphones!

Thanks to the OP, I was able to save around $25 with the live cash back program.

Wouldn't the 1000HA be the better deal? With cashback and the $50 mail in rebate on the site you can get it for $280. All you are sacrificing is Wireless N, and a slightly faster cpu. Reviewers say they can not tell any difference in the cpu speed. Plus, people are overclocking the 1000ha to over 2gigs. If you were to put that $50 into a 2gb stick of ram you would have a much better system. They are design to easily replace the ram sticks and this does not void the warranty. The 1000HA is also in stock.

Edit: I didn't read the fine print. That $50 off coupon requires the purchase of other items.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back