Need some help with an upgrade (BSOD)

CocheseUGA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
Last night I upgraded my mobo, CPU and RAM (went from Asus A7V600/AMD Athlon 2500+ XP/2GB DDR400 to XFX GeForce 8200/AMD Phenom x3 8650/4GB DDR2 1066). I was hoping to use the same install on my HDD with XP on it, since I've lost my big CD case with almost all of my installation discs (XP, DVD software, you name it).

Unfortunately, I got a BSOD of:
0X0000007B (0XBA4C3528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I had recently also installed a new 1TB drive and installed the Windows 7 Beta. That just reset in a loop, so I formatted and reinstalled the 7 Beta on that drive. That's what I'm posting from now. I think this is a result of the IDE controller changing between boards. The problem is, I don't know how to fix it. I know the HDD isn't bad, because I was able to assign the drive in 7 Beta and I can access everything.

Now, here are my options that I can think of:
1) reinstall the old hardware and hope it works. If it doesn't, then I move on. But if it does, now I'm in the position of having better hardware that for all intents and purposes, can't use.
2) Try to find some way to repair the XP install, so it can boot with the correct drivers and registry. Without a disc, I don't think I can do this. This was an OEM install. I could try to borrow a disc (and use my own key), but I don't know if it would work. Everyone I know has manufacturer-specific recovery discs, and not a full disc.
3) Buy a system builder copy of Vista or XP and install it on the new drive. I don't think I can use this to upgrade XP on the original drive.
4) Buy an upgrade copy of Vista and hope that solves the problem.

I don't know if either of the second or third options will allow me to use the programs that are installed on the other drive. Because they certainly don't work right now.

What should I do?

According to a few things I have read, the error you have is usually caused by a driver issue, hardware issue, or a boot sector virus. Seeing as you just installed some new hardware, it is more than likely a driver issues. Two links that could possibly help you are:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/stop0x0000007b.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

And, you could always attempt to repair your installation, like you said. Reading that you have access to the drive through 7, you could always do this to get the files, turn them into a .iso, and then use that as your installer disk:

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml

Thanks for those links. Unfortunately, I don't have a i386 folder. I have several in other locations, but it says that's no good.

But I wonder if you could do a clean install and then add back in the registry values to make all the programs work again. Probably not though.

I know if I had the XP disc, I could probably fix it. Dammit.

I did this some years ago when building a new computer for my mother. I don't remember how I got the same HD to work with a new system, though. It's likely that I uninstalled and removed any trace of previous hardware drivers through safe mode first, but you sound like you're past the point of being able to do that.

If your memory is set to 1066MHz in the BIOS try backing it down to 800MHz and running at default voltages/timings and see if that cures the BSODs. If it does fix the BSODs, you need to find out what timings and voltage it is spec'd at for 1066MHz. Usually you have to jack it up from 1.85v @ 800MHz to 2.1v @ 1066MHz to get it stable.

bread's done
Back