Section 8 - Gen. Discussion & Info

Malik112099

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Another one I've never heard of but could end up being really good.

www.joinsection8.com

from wikipedia:

Section 8 is an upcoming first person shooter and original IP developed by TimeGate Studios and published by SouthPeak Interactive. It utilizes the Unreal Engine 3 and will be on PC and next-generation consoles.[1] Section 8 will allow players to dynamically alter the flow of combat as they see fit, employing tactical assets and on-demand vehicle deliveries. It is scheduled to be released during the fourth-quarter of 2009.[2]

Gameplay
Section 8 is a first person shooter set in futuristic universe. The players wear futuristic armor that covers their entire bodies and features shielding technology which is able to absorb enemy damage.[3]
Players will be able to “burn-in” by dropping onto the battlefield from orbital dropships hovering at 15,000 feet from the surface, thus eliminating fixed spawn points.[4] “Burning-in” also creates the opportunity for the player to choose where they drop on the map, making the game unpredictable.[5] This process is an interactive experience as players can be shot down upon entry by players and anti-aircraft turrets alike, though these situations can be avoided or mitigated by using the “air-brake” feature which allows the player to make mid-air adjustments.[6]
Section 8 features in-depth character customization. Players are able to choose not only their primary and secondary weapon choices, such as assault rifles, pistols, shotguns, and sniper rifles, but from items called “Active Gear:” grenades, explosives, knives, shoulder-mounted mortar launchers and healing units.[7] The player is also able to create their own player-class through various stackable modules that increase the player’s speed, stealth, or the regeneration of the limited-use jetpack. Excessive damage endured by the player to certain parts of their body, such as their legs, arms, head, or chest, may disable or hinder the use of these enhancements.[8]
Players will be able to deploy a variety of vehicles in the game, including heavy-armor suits and a four-person tank.[9] A variety of turrets, healing supply depots, and sensor arrays that place enemies on a map will be available and can be purchased within the game using “Requisition Points.”[10]
A feature called “Dynamic Combat Missions,” or DCMs, will be featured in the game. These have been described as a meta-game within the game itself and can be activated mid-combat by the player.[11] DCMs reward the player with Requisition Points when completed successfully. Some DCMs will include protecting a convoy, destroying a bridge, or assassinating an enemy VIP.[12]

[edit] Single-Player

Section 8 will feature a single-player mode that allows the character to play as a member of the 8th Armored Infantry named Alex Corde. Previews indicate that the single-player campaign will be more objective-based and deals with the motivation behind the ARM of Orion and Alex Corde.[13]

[edit] Multiplayer

Section 8 will feature a large-scale multiplayer mode for players. A 16 player maximum has been confirmed on the Xbox 360 thus far with a goal of 24 to 32 players.[14] On the PC, a 32 player maximum has been confirmed with a goal of 54 players and over.[15] Bots may also be used to fill the remaining slots in multiplayer games.[16]

[edit] Synopsis

The name “Section 8” derives from an old United States military discharge regulation for reason of being mentally unfit for service and refers to the 8th Armored Infantry in the game.[17] The nickname resulted from the near-suicidal missions the 8th Armored Infantry went on, causing them to be labeled as insane by other military units.[18]
Section 8 takes place in the future after the human race has discovered time-travel and has colonized across the galaxy. As they expanded, opposing human factions began to appear across the galaxy. One rogue group, called the ARM of Orion, begins to disconnect the outermost frontier planets from the main governing body, devastating them by creating a growing insurrection.[19] Because travel and communication are so slow across the large distances of space, the ARM of Orion are granted enough time to accomplish many of their goals undetected and set-up an ambush.[20] The government eventually discovers the ARM of Orion’s deeds and sends in the 8th Armored Infantry, including Alex Corde, on a mission to scout and secure difficult objectives, and smash enemy defenses in lighting-quick assaults.[21]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS76A8QM9oY

Sounds like it could be neat, but nothing innovative really sticks out to me. If they truly execute their ideas into something new and fresh, then it might end up being a neat game.

Now, is this only for 360/pc? It mentioned "next-gen consoles", but when it came to multiplayer info, PS3 wasn't mentioned. Just curious.

I saw this on a G4 podcast a long time ago and posted about it in the General gaming forum. I figured since there wasn't a lot of replies it would be a waste of time. I guess all I can say is be better than Too Human and don't be like Halo.

[quote name='lilboo']I thought Section 8 was for ghetto people who can't afford to pay rent?[/quote]

Ha thats the same thing I was thinking. :applause:

Section 8?

340x.jpg

...Sorry. First thing that came to mind and I couldn't resist

Sounds a good bit like the Dystopia mod for Source Engine, different classes and modules with objective based multiplayer.

Dystopia is freaking awesome so I'll have to keep my eye on this game.

The demo has arrive. Did anyone play this game yet? Multiplayer was good, but felt slow and the graphics look like crap, like they were made for wii.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']The demo has arrive. Did anyone play this game yet? Multiplayer was good, but felt slow and the graphics look like crap, like they were made for wii.[/QUOTE]

I played the demo. I hated it, and not many people play it online.

[quote name='jman619']I played the demo. I hated it, and not many people play it online.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have any trouble getting into a match and all were full, maybe you played on the first day when people didn't or hadn't gotten it yet?. Seems to be a pretty decent game from what I experienced of it. I plan to get it at some point, not gonna pay full retail though. Decent but not that decent ;)

I was looking forward to this game. It had some things that concept wise were cool, but in the end this game was disappointing.

Also, this game title got me to mix it up with District 9 too...

bread's done
Back