Gamerankings.com is gone?

Seemed redundant for CNET to have both MetaCritic and GameRankings running at the same time. I'm not surprised that GR was the one to go since they had features being stripped over the past year or two that made it seem like they were being slowly pushed out of the door.

I preferred GR a little bit more than MC because of the stats they collected.

I liked how GR put the list of major reviews in a compressed list with just the site, a link if applicable, and the score all on one line per site. Metacritic has them spaced out with blurbs and you have to scroll and hunt around for particular review sites you prefer. Ah well, not a big deal I guess.

I'd suggest they change the redirect to the Video Games section of metacritic.com vs the main page of gamespot.com. :shrug:

[quote name='crazytalkx']Please don't tell me Gamespot bought them out. It's too early for April Fool's.[/quote]
CNET has owned them for a few years now.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Please don't tell me Gamespot bought them out. It's too early for April Fool's.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure gamespot has always owned gamerankings. I'm a little pissed if this is permanent. Metacritic is ass. Gamerankings was nice and to the point with everything.

"Whoops. GameRankings is currently undergoing maintenance. In the mean time, please check out our sister site, Metacritic.com, for aggregated game reviews. Thanks for your patience. We hope to be back up soon. "

Nice.

The site is back up but it looks exactly like GameFAQs. :puke:

I haven't done a thorough look-over of the site but so far I haven't found scores or links for IGN, EGM, GI, etc. under an individual game, just reviews from sites I've never hread of. CBS/Gamespot acquiring this site is horrible for fans since they won't provide links to competitive sites. IMO, that's what made Gamerankings good, being able to jump to a reputable site to read their review, whether it was GameSpot, IGN, EGM, and so forth. I think the site just lost a huge amount of credibility.

I think this is CBS's way of getting people to switch to Metacritic. I prefer GameRankings for video games because it has more info. Maybe this is just temporary.

Edit: Huh, it's back up and now it's part of GameFAQs, which CBS also owns.

Unfortunately, it's not temporary. The site was down for more than 2 weeks in order to put this up. This is the new gamerankings.

[quote name='neocisco']The site is back up but it looks exactly like GameFAQs. :puke:

I haven't done a thorough look-over of the site but so far I haven't found scores or links for IGN, EGM, GI, etc. under an individual game, just reviews from sites I've never hread of. CBS/Gamespot acquiring this site is horrible for fans since they won't provide links to competitive sites. IMO, that's what made Gamerankings good, being able to jump to a reputable site to read their review, whether it was GameSpot, IGN, EGM, and so forth. I think the site just lost a huge amount of credibility.[/QUOTE]

They're still there, click on the Reviews tab after you go to a game. It's like GameFAQs. I was used to the old GameRankings, but at least the site is a lot faster now.

[quote name='neocisco']Unfortunately, it's not temporary. The site was down for more than 2 weeks in order to put this up. This is the new gamerankings.[/QUOTE]
What I meant was that they could've actually tried to shut down GameRankings permanently, instead of just changing it. But yeah it's back.

[quote name='rickonker']They're still there, click on the Reviews tab after you go to a game. It's like GameFAQs. I was used to the old GameRankings, but at least the site is a lot faster now.[/quote]

Ah, OK. Of course, the sites that are their biggest competitors (and the ones people most likely want to see) are buried under all of those other links.

[quote name='rickonker']What I meant was that they could've actually tried to shut down GameRankings permanently, instead of just changing it. But yeah it's back.[/quote]

I see.

JMO, but I think the quality of the site has definitely dropped.

[quote name='neocisco']Ah, OK. Of course, the sites that are their biggest competitors (and the ones people most likely want to see) are buried under all of those other links.

I see.

JMO, but I think the quality of the site has definitely dropped.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I feel like something's missing, but it looks like the important stuff is still there. One improvement I noticed is that clicking on a review doesn't stick it inside a frame anymore. I never liked the way they used to do it.

Why did they just lose all of their credibility and why does it matter in what order they're listed? They've been owned by CNET for a few years now, so they haven't changed much besides the look/format. Seems to be in the order of when they added them to their list, so of course that means when the big sites get their reviews up earlier than most, they'll be closer to the bottom.

Because I don't like change!:) Eh, maybe it will grow on me. The GameFAQs clone look just started it off on a sour note. I thought I actually was on GameFAQs for a few seconds. Very little thought put into the design of the site just doesn't bode well, IMO.

I've been a fan of Game Rankings for a long time, and I really liked the old design. I'm not crazy about the new design, but it isn't terrible, either. It seems like, if you know what you want to see, it's still easy to search for it. It looks less friendly for casually browsing now, though; before, I could go the page for each system and see the recent reviews and releases at a glance, potentially revealing games I'd overlooked or forgotten.

I know this is a really old thread but now it's really gone when you go to gamerankings.com it redirects to gamefaqs.com. R.I.P. GameRankings
Oh shit.. that's sad. I used be a member of those forums before Gamespot or ZDNet or whoever bought them up and killed the forums without warning and lost touch with so many people.

Sucks how it seems like forums are no longer a thing, even the CAG forums are dead outside of the deals section.:whistle2:(

I preferred gamerankings for its ease of use for me.  A simple drop down box, filter system.

I used it more to, you know find the rankings of video games.  All time best video games for a console limited by at least 5 reviews.

I hope the sister site Metacritic gets that option soon or add it to GameFAQs.

bread's done
Back