Nintendo DSi and DSi XL Out Now. "3DS" Showing at E3

foltzie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Update Nintendo announces DSi LL in Japan and Europe and calls it DSi XL in NA.

More Updates later today, but discussion continues on the last page of thread and this other thread

The Nintendo DSi has been released in North America.

Launch Date: Sunday, April 5th
Price: MSRP $169.99
Colors: Light Blue and Black

Latest News:
Original Post:
Nintendo has announced the US launch date and price of the DSi.

Launch Date: Sunday, April 5th
Price: MSRP $169.99
Colors: Light Blue and Black
Demo Video:
Announcements:

Last Update: Changing the title.

Previous Updates:
  • Update
  • 8/31: Putting in the update for DSi-only Carts - No news on DSi enhanced DS carts.
  • 8/31: Putting older info behind spoiler tags to reduce OP size
  • 8/31: Deleting Pre-order links
  • 8/4: Updated Title
  • 2/19: Put Announcements and updates behind a spoiler tag to reduce size of OP, added preorder links, and added demo video on Youtube.
  • 2/18: Created Post and added additional URLs of press releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better price point than 190. That's something to know.

Famitsu revealed a Katamari Puzzle game for DSiware. That's kinda neat.

Imma start saving my monies.

Yuck@blue. Why not the cobalt?

Still strangely way too early unless they figure they have a good way of selling the two models concurrently. I'll be good till something comes out on the retail end that I can't turn down. The downloadable stuff won't be going anywhere.

Thanks for the info.

I'll echo Strell's sentiments regarding the price, the previously speculated cost was way too much. I still think it's a little high, since that's the cost of a PSP, and the DS's current price is one of the biggest advantages it's had it's entire life-cycle. Nintendo is on such a role, though, they may not even consider the PSP competition.

I will agree that the price is a bit high for Nintendo.

I actually kind of see this dropping in price by midsummer by 10-20 bucks. I think people are going to shun it in light of the poor economy, sending them to the DS, which is going to screw up Nintendo's plans, which I speculate to be moving the DSi as an intermittent successor until a full fledged DS2 appears.

I base this on the introduction of DSiware, which I think Nintendo is going to start pushing really hard as an answer to the iPhone App store. Yes, I do not think the iPhone is that legitimate of a gaming device with the lack of physical buttons, but the sure are advertising it as a gaming platform a LOT lately, and the fact that a "can the iPhone beat the DS?" article pops up frequently (every two weeks at the longest) makes me think Nintendo is really starting to consider it the new contender (perhaps even more than the PSP, at least in America).

That's all my guess though. Just seems a little weird that (like botticus mentioned) that this is showing up this quickly - I was pegging it for Septmeber at the EARLIEST this year, given the steamrolling the DS is doing 'round these parts. I think Nintendo is spurred on also by the somewhat early success of the DSi in Japan, which I think is a poor thing to base it on - Japanese luvs them some gadgets, which I think is propelling the sales there more than anything else, and are about due for a drop in moved units.

Interesting year we've got building up so far.

Kind of wondering what (if any) trade-up deal GS will bust out. I've still got an old DS Phat I wouldn't mind getting shed of if it takes a little of the sting out of the purchase price. Otherwise, I'm still pretty satisfied with my DS Lite.

any news on what games will be downloadable when it hits

if there was 2 or 3 major good rpg games imight run out and buy it if not no reason to

[quote name='slidecage']any news on what games will be downloadable when it hits

if there was 2 or 3 major good rpg games imight run out and buy it if not no reason to[/QUOTE]

Nope, no DSiware announcements, but it is probably safe to assume the basics will be covered.

I'm not sure if the difference in features is really worth the $40 extra over the DS lite. Until some compelling games that require the DSi come along, I think I will be perfectly happy to stick with my 1 1/2 year old DS lite.

That is one ugly shade of blue though, couldn't they have picked a warmer blue?

[quote name='Strell']I actually kind of see this dropping in price by midsummer by 10-20 bucks. I think people are going to shun it in light of the poor economy, sending them to the DS, which is going to screw up Nintendo's plans, which I speculate to be moving the DSi as an intermittent successor until a full fledged DS2 appears.[/quote]

Unless sales of the DSi are completely trash, I don't see this happening. We didn't see a price drop until about a year after the DS was released and I imagine it'll be somewhat similar for the DSi.

[quote name='Strell']I base this on the introduction of DSiware, which I think Nintendo is going to start pushing really hard as an answer to the iPhone App store. Yes, I do not think the iPhone is that legitimate of a gaming device with the lack of physical buttons, but the sure are advertising it as a gaming platform a LOT lately, and the fact that a "can the iPhone beat the DS?" article pops up frequently (every two weeks at the longest) makes me think Nintendo is really starting to consider it the new contender (perhaps even more than the PSP, at least in America).[/quote]

I don't think the iPhone is a real threat to the DS/DSi as well. It's two completely different markets, and the systems themselves are designed for two different purposes. However, I do have a feeling you are right, Nintendo is going to push the DSi over the DS heavily due to having DS ware and offer it as an alternative to Apple's AppStore. This is the key reason why I feel we won't be seeing a price drop until next year. Nintendo pushes DSi sales hard touting the advantages of the DS ware, sales are decent to moderate but not quite up to DS levels. After Christmas rolls around, Nintendo is ready to boost DSi sales so a price drop is announced.

But of course, it all really depends on what kind of legs the DSi takes. It's hard to say with the way the economy and market is right now exactly what will happen. Were this a brand new device with distinct advantages over the DS it might be different, but its not and we're basically seeing a slightly upgraded version of the DS.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']
Unless sales of the DSi are completely trash, I don't see this happening. We didn't see a price drop until about a year after the DS was released and I imagine it'll be somewhat similar for the DSi.
[/quote]

Back when the DS launched, it didn't have a cousin to contend with. Yes it had the GBA SP, but people were able to look at them and immediately tell a difference. "This one has two screens."

Now you'll have the cheaper DS on the same shelf. That's going to confuse people, who are going to most likely head for the cheaper of the two. Unless the features of the DSi are heavily advertised, I don't see it really solidifying as something all that different in the general populace's comprehension.

It's a different situation here.

I don't think the iPhone is a real threat to the DS/DSi as well. It's two completely different markets, and the systems themselves are designed for two different purposes.

I think so too. The only reason I have an inkling that it could be a problem is because there's so many people latching onto the iPhone's inherent game capabilities. Coupled with the immediate distribution of the App Store, it could very well present a kind of competition.

This is more of a "there's so much talk about it that it'll slowly seep into collective conscious" sort of thing.

But of course, it all really depends on what kind of legs the DSi takes. It's hard to say with the way the economy and market is right now exactly what will happen. Were this a brand new device with distinct advantages over the DS it might be different, but its not and we're basically seeing a slightly upgraded version of the DS.

This is more what I'm getting at.

LOL @ the ridiculous price.

Isn't the same price or only 1000 yen more than the lite in Japan?

Edit: Apparently it's around $23 difference in Japan with the shit exchange rates. So that's like a $20 differential unaccounted for. Apparently the DSlite costs more in Japan than the US, but the i price is about the same.

Oh yeah Nintendo, and no one gives a flying fuck about a 3 MP camera and shitty MP3 player.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
Oh yeah Nintendo, and no one gives a flying fuck about a 3 MP camera and shitty MP3 player.[/QUOTE]

Geez. Gamers sure like to think if they broadcast their opinion enough, everyone else will agree to it. You act like it's intended to be an answer for a real digital camera.

Correction: Shitty AUDIO player.

Zing.

Also, if you really do put in the time to gather and convert 16 GB of music into AAC, you'd be saving nearly $100 than buying a 16GB iPod Touch. That's for absolutely BASIC features though.

[quote name='Strell']Geez. Gamers sure like to think if they broadcast their opinion enough, everyone else will agree to it. You act like it's intended to be an answer for a real digital camera.[/QUOTE]

Compared to cell phone cameras I'm thinking the DSi camera will fare just fine. Plus Japan seems to be snapping them up. If they can get a foothold in the US, great, if not at least the portable software store gets a foothold.

[quote name='Strell']I will agree that the price is a bit high for Nintendo.

I actually kind of see this dropping in price by midsummer by 10-20 bucks. I think people are going to shun it in light of the poor economy, sending them to the DS, which is going to screw up Nintendo's plans, which I speculate to be moving the DSi as an intermittent successor until a full fledged DS2 appears.

I base this on the introduction of DSiware, which I think Nintendo is going to start pushing really hard as an answer to the iPhone App store. Yes, I do not think the iPhone is that legitimate of a gaming device with the lack of physical buttons, but the sure are advertising it as a gaming platform a LOT lately, and the fact that a "can the iPhone beat the DS?" article pops up frequently (every two weeks at the longest) makes me think Nintendo is really starting to consider it the new contender (perhaps even more than the PSP, at least in America).

That's all my guess though. Just seems a little weird that (like botticus mentioned) that this is showing up this quickly - I was pegging it for Septmeber at the EARLIEST this year, given the steamrolling the DS is doing 'round these parts. I think Nintendo is spurred on also by the somewhat early success of the DSi in Japan, which I think is a poor thing to base it on - Japanese luvs them some gadgets, which I think is propelling the sales there more than anything else, and are about due for a drop in moved units.

Interesting year we've got building up so far.[/quote]

Regarding the iPhone:

Consider that the DS is similar to the Wii in that a lot of people who never gave a shite about video games have been drawn to it by it's relatively low price compared to other platforms and games like Brain Age, etc which are both easy and fun. Of course, the DS caters infinitely more to all types of gamers compared to the Wii, but that's a different discussion.

Since they have a substantial number of DS owners who are much more casual players that aren't interested in 40+hour RPGs, it makes sense that they might be afraid of losing some casual market share to a do-it-all device, especially one that gets so much attention. Why get an iPhone and a DS when you can have everything on one device and more (phone, GPS, iTunes which people love for some reason, etc).

Keep in mind, more casual gamers will probably care less about which games are available, they just want to play fun games. So if owning an iPhone means no Brain Age/Cooking Mama/etc, that's ok, because there's already 50 clones on every platform now (Brain IQ Challenge! Brain Buzz! Brain Busters Buzz Challenge IQ!) and people buy imitation titles all the time without knowing or caring.

Digital distribution also seems the way to go for smaller or less involved titles. Looking at the success of PSN/XBL/Wiiware & VC is proof enough of that, and that is something that the DS is lacking. Heck, even the PSP was able to integrate it years after release, whereas the DS wasn't made future-proof at all. So more than anything, Nintendo probably sees the potential, interest, and demand for the DS to go the same route, but aren't ready to launch a whole new system. In that regard, I think they'd be better off waiting and just putting all of this into the DS2, with complete backwards compatibility. Then people wouldn't be confused, because it would be an entirely new product, and the price would be more justified.

I don't care about any of the new features they've added, I think removing the GBA slot is a mistake, and I know more than a few CAGs feel the same way. So, it would take some killer apps on the download store for me to even consider upgrading, and let's face it, Nintendo's never been all that good with the must-have titles within the 1st year a system's been out, at least in the past decade.

I may be in a vast minority but I'm keeping my Lite. I just pre-ordered the Matte Blue in whole at Amazon. I just happen to be in an opportune situation where I can sell off stuff to pad the money at the moment (selling a 3rd Generation iPod with monochrome screen, repairing and selling a Crimson/Black Lite my dad was given).

The Lite is obviously going to do things that the DSi won't so I'm keeping it. No big deal.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Correction: Shitty AUDIO player.

Zing.

Also, if you really do put in the time to gather and convert 16 GB of music into AAC, you'd be saving nearly $100 than buying a 16GB iPod Touch. That's for absolutely BASIC features though.[/QUOTE]

Snark aside, you point is well taken... Apple has done well in pushing AAC, but a lot of people still rip in MP3

I may have to bite the bullet at some point and rerip my CD collection in 256 AAC (or perhaps lossless). More products support MP3, but looking about my electronics, I cant spot a single one that doesnt support AAC.

Also, does anyone remember the 40 or so copyrighted names Nintendo put down the day after the Japanese DSi was announced? I swear they're going to do something with that. And one of them was regarding music. As rudimentary as it may be, I'd love to have my DSi closed to play music and podcasts.

That's a more reasonable price. At least reasonable to consider for an upgrade for someone that just has a Phat or to purchase if one doesn't have a DS at all--assuming the GBA slot isn't important to them.

Especially if someone wants the camera and other features.

[quote name='johnnypark']Regarding the iPhone:

Since they have a substantial number of DS owners who are much more casual players that aren't interested in 40+hour RPGs, it makes sense that they might be afraid of losing some casual market share to a do-it-all device, especially one that gets so much attention. Why get an iPhone and a DS when you can have everything on one device and more (phone, GPS, iTunes which people love for some reason, etc).[/quote]

You're comparing Apples and Oranges here. I don't think anyone can seriously consider the iPhone as a real contender to the DS. The iPhone has some serious limitations to gaming beyond $5 apps, not to mention the cost of ownership is much more out of the range that the DS provides. It's like saying the DSi will be a strong competitor to the iPod/iPhone due to its new media capabilities. It's two completely different markets that don't really have anything to do with each other.

It's not to say that Nintendo won't try to market it that way, but that's just PR trying to pull some extra dollars in. Its not a real threat to the DS in any way.

I don't care about any of the new features they've added, I think removing the GBA slot is a mistake, and I know more than a few CAGs feel the same way. So, it would take some killer apps on the download store for me to even consider upgrading, and let's face it, Nintendo's never been all that good with the must-have titles within the 1st year a system's been out, at least in the past decade.

I know I'd rather have the GBA slot, but let me play devil's advocate here for a second. Outside of recent GBA slot attachments, I can't think of a single GBA game in the past year or two that has been released that I would want. By removing the GBA slot it gives them the possibility of offering a portable virtual console in addition to helping reduce the cost in producing the system. At this point, if having backwards compatibility with GBA games is that important, you can just pick up a DS.

I can't say I agree with their decision, but its really not that unreasonable given the circumstances.

[quote name='Nohbdy']I may be in a vast minority but I'm keeping my Lite. I just pre-ordered the Matte Blue in whole at Amazon. I just happen to be in an opportune situation where I can sell off stuff to pad the money at the moment (selling a 3rd Generation iPod with monochrome screen, repairing and selling a Crimson/Black Lite my dad was given).

The Lite is obviously going to do things that the DSi won't so I'm keeping it. No big deal.[/QUOTE]
I don't think thats the minority at all. I'd bet most people stick with their Lite's since what its offering new isn't enough for what its losing.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']You're comparing Apples and Oranges here. I don't think anyone can seriously consider the iPhone as a real contender to the DS. The iPhone has some serious limitations to gaming beyond $5 apps, not to mention the cost of ownership is much more out of the range that the DS provides. It's like saying the DSi will be a strong competitor to the iPod/iPhone due to its new media capabilities. It's two completely different markets that don't really have anything to do with each other.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think he was saying they directly compete.

Just that there is some possible overlap. i.e. someone thinking of just getting a DS for something like Brain Age and Puzzle game or two may decide to just go with an iPhone and get Bejewled and some other simple games.

The iPhone will never be a serious gaming platform, nor really hurt sells of the DS or PSP, but it could keep some of the non-gamers from picking one up on an impulse since they can just get a couple simple games on their iPhone.

But that's really not a huge loss anyway as those types of people would buy a game or two and then never touch the DS again anyway.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']You're comparing Apples and Oranges here. I don't think anyone can seriously consider the iPhone as a real contender to the DS. The iPhone has some serious limitations to gaming beyond $5 apps, not to mention the cost of ownership is much more out of the range that the DS provides. It's like saying the DSi will be a strong competitor to the iPod/iPhone due to its new media capabilities. It's two completely different markets that don't really have anything to do with each other.

It's not to say that Nintendo won't try to market it that way, but that's just PR trying to pull some extra dollars in. Its not a real threat to the DS in any way.[/quote]

I agree it's not really a contender, I was more pulling at straws based on the other comments people made about potential competition or concerns on Nintendo's side.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I know I'd rather have the GBA slot, but let me play devil's advocate here for a second. Outside of recent GBA slot attachments, I can't think of a single GBA game in the past year or two that has been released that I would want. By removing the GBA slot it gives them the possibility of offering a portable virtual console in addition to helping reduce the cost in producing the system. At this point, if having backwards compatibility with GBA games is that important, you can just pick up a DS.

I can't say I agree with their decision, but its really not that unreasonable given the circumstances.[/quote]

The last year or two of GBA releases were pretty paltry, I agree, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions. I have a decent amount of GBA games, though, a few of which I got through great sales or trades and haven't even played yet. The average consumer, though, has probably long moved on, so I'm not surprised they are, too.

I forgot about the potential for a portable VC, since all they've pushed so far is DSWare. If they get it running cross-platform (and really if they don't, I'll just assume they've lost all common sense) then my interest will be significantly higher.

One huge advantage the iPod Touch/iPhone has over the DSi, at least as far as I can tell, is that downloaded software is not tied solely to the hardware it is downloaded to. That alone makes me not want a DSi. I can live without the GBA slot as long as they replace it with a virtual portable library. In fact I'd love that and consider it an improvement. However, if you can't play downloaded software on more then one DSi, that is truly a dealbreaker for me, and unfortunately all signs seem to indicate that they are taking the same approach that they took with the Wii.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Hopefully they are taking an approach similar to Apple's. Apple allows you to install downloaded software on up to 6 iPhones/iPod touches, and that includes running the software on all of them at the same time, even networked. If Nintendo does that, I will buy a DSi not only for myself, but I'll upgrade my kids to DSi's too... well... eventually.

[quote name='crunchewy']One huge advantage the iPod Touch/iPhone has over the DSi, at least as far as I can tell, is that downloaded software is not tied solely to the hardware it is downloaded to. That alone makes me not want a DSi. I can live without the GBA slot as long as they replace it with a virtual portable library. In fact I'd love that and consider it an improvement. However, if you can't play downloaded software on more then one DSi, that is truly a dealbreaker for me, and unfortunately all signs seem to indicate that they are taking the same approach that they took with the Wii.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Hopefully they are taking an approach similar to Apple's. Apple allows you to install downloaded software on up to 6 iPhones/iPod touches, and that includes running the software on all of them at the same time, even networked. If Nintendo does that, I will buy a DSi not only for myself, but I'll upgrade my kids to DSi's too... well... eventually.[/quote]

I'm thinking they don't want this because they'd lose out to extra $$.

How often do people change systems? I often laugh at the guy that states I've had 4 wii's ... wtf.. why?

I've had mine shortly after launch and still haven't come up with an excuse to swap out systems since it still works fine. Maybe needing the money...

But going back to the DS...

The big N probably doesn't want what you just described. You pay $5 or even $10 for title and share to every DSi you have... up to 5... that's about $25-$50 difference... or a loss of about 80%.

I really don't think Nintendo would even want to have that feature.

This is probably tied to pirating software too, they are huge on making sure none of that happens, and this would be a way to make sure they get max profit.

I too would glad to re-download... but then I have to think, why would I have to... only if I either break, or lose my system. Selling it or getting a new color isn't a big enough reason to nintendo in either way.

I really would like that freedom though.

Makes me wonder where all this information is going, on the internal memory or the SD? eventually it'll be hacked.

[quote name='62t']it is already hacked as there are flash card that works.[/quote]

So does the DSware go on the card? or what? Is it transferable as long as it's hacked?

[quote name='paddlefoot']Could a third party release software that allows the DSi to play MP3 files?[/QUOTE]

I just linked to like 40-something trademarks made by Nintendo in a single day some posts earlier.

And yes, I'm quite aware that they just make those for the hell of it. But why wouldn't they?

[quote name='bigdaddy']For $30 more I rather get the iPod Touch.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy your irreplaceable battery. iPod batteries are now SOLDERED to the iPod case in anything after the iPhone and later.

By the way, what SHADE of blue is that blue DSi anyway? Blue Raspberry?

[quote name='Nohbdy']
By the way, what SHADE of blue is that blue DSi anyway? Blue Raspberry?[/QUOTE]

Stolen from Kotaku, its AMC Pacer Blue.

Definitely with botticus on this one, it simply feels too early for this particular launch, inevitable as it was. While I'm fairly certain that it'll do just fine, the DSi is not going to be for me for the foreseeable future.

$169.99 = £118.35

So where the hell die Nintendo get £150 for a DSi in the UK from?

They're just totally ripping us off because they know they can. They know it's going to sell a TONNE.

Oh not too keen on the blue either.

[quote name='saunderscowie']$169.99 = £118.35

So where the hell die Nintendo get £150 for a DSi in the UK from?

They're just totally ripping us off because they know they can. They know it's going to sell a TONNE.

Oh not too keen on the blue either.[/QUOTE]

Your numbers arent accounting for VAT.

$169.99 +%15 ~ $195.50

$195.50 = £136.65

So you are getting a markup, but its about half of what you are thinking.

[quote name='foltzie']Your numbers arent accounting for VAT.

$169.99 +%15 ~ $195.50

$195.50 = £136.65

So you are getting a markup, but its about half of what you are thinking.[/QUOTE]Pretty much. The price in the U.S. doesn't include taxes.

I plan to get a DSi down the road, because I really need to get a new DS one day. But right now I have to sell my old non-Lite DS somehow.

I preordered the Blue DSi, Pokémon Platinum, Rhythm Heaven, and MadWorld at GameStop today. Can't wait!

blue looks too cheap, like that nerf armor.... black is ok.

about the only think that peaks my interest ... larger screens, and dsware.

[quote name='xycury']blue looks too cheap, like that nerf armor.... black is ok.

about the only think that peaks my interest ... larger screens, and dsware.[/QUOTE]

Its the same plastic.

The blue is actually growing on me, I think I'll preorder that particular color.

bread's done
Back