Xbox 2 Already?? Yipes!

SPOnG can today exclusively blow the lid on Electronic Arts’ next Need for Speed game, detailing the company’s thinking on the leading franchise update for the first time.

The series will ditch the Underground moniker, with the new game carrying the title Need for Speed: Most Wanted. The information, leaked to us last week, states that the multi-platform offering will ship across the world in late 2005.

Most Wanted will be available for Xbox 2, Xbox, PlayStation 2, GameCube, PC, PSP and “Game Boy Advance or Nintendo DS.” A pleasant added value news snippet details a “…simultaneous ship, with the Xbox2 platform", which indicates a late 2005 release for Xbox2 too. Though whether the machine will go under the ‘Xbox2’ name is unclear. But the launch period, as dated by the world’s leading third-party publisher, can now be pencilled in.

The picture we get is of a game that is not really too different from the Underground duo, with one key difference: Most Wanted takes the series back to its roots, with police chases making up the body of the gameplay. We expect the game to feature a much greater emphasis on movie style police getaway missions, in levels specifically designed to emphasise this aspect of the game, with gameplay focussing on eluding police pursuit vehicles.

There is also a rap-sheet system, in which a player’s notoriety is upped by performing more dangerous manoeuvres in the view of following police.

Eight game modes are promised:

Multiple point races

Toll booth races

Speed trap photos

Outrun

Outrun best route

Circuit

Sprint

Knockout – Cost to state, pursuit milestones and headlines
Milestones

Four ‘distinct regions’ will be offered, along with real time weather and an evolving environment. There will be no racing during the night-time, with all the action taking place between sun up and sunset.

Online play will be included with what is described as a ‘similar feature set to NFSU2’ though this time, world-wide play will be included with no conflict between the North American and European versions.

Around 100 motors will be on offer. ‘Asian import (tuners), exotics, American muscle and Euro imports,” as detailed by EA.

Oh, one more thing! Burnout 4 is slated for Xbox 2 launch.

who gives a flying fuck about need for speed?!

BURNOUT 4 FOR XBOX 2 LAUNCH!!!!!

now i put money aside because i WILL be buying it on launch :)

So what's going to happen to the current Xbox Live when Xbox 2 comes out?

Also, has anyone heard if Xbox 2 is backwards compatible?

[quote name='Scorch']Spong is to video game news as The Globe is to celebrity news (meaning not very reliable).[/quote]

Eactly, watch, this weekend when gamespot does their rumor control they will say this rumor is fake, just like all of their rumors which they clam are real.

nothing has been confirmed as of yet...I hope that xbox and xbox 2 live setups are compatible...but in any case, they most likely won't shut down xbox live setup, untill the xbox 2 has got a large userbase IMO

[quote name='ryanbph']nothing has been confirmed as of yet...I hope that xbox and xbox 2 live setups are compatible...but in any case, they most likely won't shut down xbox live setup, untill the xbox 2 has got a large userbase IMO[/quote]

They're going to use the same Live service.

yeah they probably wouldn't shut down normal xbox live because that would screw over so many users that can't upgrade and get a new system as soon as it comes out

[quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='ryanbph']nothing has been confirmed as of yet...I hope that xbox and xbox 2 live setups are compatible...but in any case, they most likely won't shut down xbox live setup, untill the xbox 2 has got a large userbase IMO[/quote]

They're going to use the same Live service.[/quote]

So I won't have to change anything except for switching the cable from my Xbox to my Xbox 2? And my subscription to Live (which expires 1/06) would be good for Live on Xbox 2?

That would be great.

Only reason to buy a Xbox 2 at launch is for Oblivion. Need for Speed as well as publisher EA can go stick pencils up eachothers arses.

[quote name='Scorch']I hope it's backwards compatible.. I really do. If it's not, i'm going to have a huge sale.[/quote]

Why, will your exisiting Xbox stuff stop working if a non-compatible Microsoft console comes into proximity? I've got three generations of Nintendo and Sega hardware all sitting on the same shelving unit and they're all still working. I can't see why the Xbox should be any different.

I believe it, Microsoft has hinted at being first out the door with their new system or a least out before PS3. E3 should be fun this May. As for me, I'll just stick to my current Xbox, I have a lot of games to play through until the Xbox2 price drop :)

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Scorch']I hope it's backwards compatible.. I really do. If it's not, i'm going to have a huge sale.[/quote]

Why, will your exisiting Xbox stuff stop working if a non-compatible Microsoft console comes into proximity? I've got three generations of Nintendo and Sega hardware all sitting on the same shelving unit and they're all still working. I can't see why the Xbox should be any different.[/quote]

I've asked him this every time he mentions it and I don't think he has given a straight answer that makes sense.

[quote name='TJordan522'][quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='ryanbph']nothing has been confirmed as of yet...I hope that xbox and xbox 2 live setups are compatible...but in any case, they most likely won't shut down xbox live setup, untill the xbox 2 has got a large userbase IMO[/quote]

So I won't have to change anything except for switching the cable from my Xbox to my Xbox 2? And my subscription to Live (which expires 1/06) would be good for Live on Xbox 2?

That would be great.[/quote]

I don't see why they would fu(k everyone by making it harder.

Game Informer reported almost exactly the same story in their February 2005 issue. The images they have were designed internally at EA, but they were only mockups designed to show executives what Xbox 2 and PS3 titles may look like.

[quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='TJordan522'][quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='ryanbph']nothing has been confirmed as of yet...I hope that xbox and xbox 2 live setups are compatible...but in any case, they most likely won't shut down xbox live setup, untill the xbox 2 has got a large userbase IMO[/quote]

That would be great.[/quote]

I don't see why they would fu(k everyone by making it harder.[/quote]

Yeah, it would be really dumb to do it any other way.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Scorch']I hope it's backwards compatible.. I really do. If it's not, i'm going to have a huge sale.[/quote]

Why, will your exisiting Xbox stuff stop working if a non-compatible Microsoft console comes into proximity? I've got three generations of Nintendo and Sega hardware all sitting on the same shelving unit and they're all still working. I can't see why the Xbox should be any different.[/quote]
Ah, so you must not have a Thomson.

it makes sense to keep the same Live service, it will be much easier. Any one getting the system at release or waiting for a review w/ pros/cons, etc......im gettin it at launch

i'll probablly wait unless they have some really kick ass launch games...it seems like halo2 among others will give the current generation more than another year of quality gaming...if not more

bread's done
Back