Does Wombat GoNintendo? These People Say No...

What's the guy expecting? Gears 2? It's a Wii game. Wombat's probably right. And Conduit=Geist. I call it now. The same thing is going to happen.

How dare you be critical of something they have never played! It is the greatest game ever!

Why is no one allowed to give an opinion about a game anymore without being a fanboy? You are allowed to disagree and have your own opinion.

Ouch those comments are a flame fest, but then again Wombat gives them plenty of flint :]

This excerpt from the CAGcast was pretty much asking for it since I did not agree with anything Wombat or Cheapy said

[quote name='McWeen']@Blackout
I picked up Geist when it was $5 and played it straight through in a weekend. It was fun but not mind blowing.
[/quote]

Exactly. Geist was supposed to be this huge FPS game on the Cube and bla bla bla it was going to be awesome. Then people played it and no one cared. Conduit could be cool, who knows. Those comments though sound like they need to take the Nintendo dick out of their ass.

Yeh some of the comments are really slating you Wombat...all for someone's opinion aswell!

Im sure they wont bother you. Your stronger than that :)

How were Wombat's comments on the podcast viewed as a "tongue-lashing"? All he did was talk about a potentially accidental spinning camera and not-so-impressive visuals.

One good comment out of all the angry comments on the article:
Jet Pilot Says:
Before the fanboy rage begins…
These comments are just one guy’s opinion. Who cares if he doesn’t like it.

I played the conduit at comic con, and everything wombat said on the cagcast is the truth. Don't listen to these haters...

Meh, nothing too out of the ordinary when you look at the average internet fanboy rage response to just about any perceived negative review/preview/impressions out there. Some standard sights in these things:
1. Take one small quote completely out of context and harp on it endlessly: In this case, it's the Killzone 2/Halo 3 comment. Wombat's point in that statement was simply pointing out the obvious challenge that The Conduit faces for attracting multi-console owners. No game exists in a vacuum, and for people who own the Wii as one of their consoles, The Conduit is competing with the FPSes on those consoles. If someone owns or is trying to decide whether or not to get Halo 3/Killzone 2, why should they consider The Conduit? All three stress online play, all three feature you blasting aliens with a variety of weapons, but Halo 3/Killzone 2 have a markedly better visual and aural presentation.

It's easy to fall back on the "Point & Motion control advantage" argument, but even that can be a pretty weak argument nowadays for the Conduit, as MP3 and Medal of Honor Heroes 2 both already have exceptional First-Person controls (And dual analog can still have some advantages). Other games coming out, like MadWorld and HotD: Overkill don't face this problem, as MadWorld presents a unique visual style* and Overkill has a presentation that have not been done on the other consoles (Plus their gameplay genres are pretty scarce on other consoles nowadays); they will not face the direct competition challenge, unlike a good FPS (Except for MP3), which are a dime-a-dozen on other consoles.

2. The Personal Insults: Yawn.

3. Other: Admittedly, they may have raised a good point in the auto-center feature to fight the "crazy movement" problem that I believe was known in Red Steel. However, whose fault was it in this case? If the auto-center is an option that can be enabled/disabled, Wombat experienced the crazy movement problem, and the Sega rep nearby (From what I know of these shows, someone is always watching players like a hawk at these public demo booths) was silent about the feature, then I would assign blame to Sega, who should have mentioned "Hey, this option will stop that." If Wombat did not actually experience crazy movement during his time with the game and was just inferring that it might be a problem due to his past experience with Red Steel, then Wombat was at fault for not asking his interviewee "What is going to be done about this problem?"

When it comes to graphics, I have always been of the opinion that 3D graphics that try to look realistic are ALWAYS the first to feel outdated, since something that looks more realistic will come along. However, a game that has a unique visual style, especially "cartoony" games, will likely age well for years to come. Super Mario 64 is the classic example, it may use very little of the N64's technical power, but the art style, with its bright colors, large areas, and cartoonish characters, fools many into thinking that it is a graphically-advanced game. One comparison of "graphical hardiness" would be Pilotwings 64 to Microsoft Flight Simulator '95; PW64's unique cartoon style still holds up well, compared to FS95's realism-aimed style, which pales in comparison to the PC flight games that came afterwards. Compare how games like Mario 64, Paper Mario, and Metal Gear Solid have aged better graphically than games like Rally Cross, Tenchu, and Castlevania 64. Applying this logic to present-day gaming, it's easy to see that games like Okami, Super Mario Galaxy, and LoZ: The Wind Waker (And to some extent Suda's games like K7 and NMH) will still look great, even years from now when more powerful consoles come along.

Last edited by a moderator:
I listened to the clip a second time. Why are Wombat's impressions a problem? Sorry but what Wombat said is true. Why play something that can be played on an other system but much better? Sorry but it's true. The best games on the Wii just aren't as good as some of the just above average games of 360/PS3. It's about power of the console and it is completely fair to make the comparison.

Don't worry. These guys are obviously nuts for Nintendo, even after all of the terrible things that Nintendo has done to their own reputation. To listen to other podcasts just to comment about what a single person says about a game is just wrong/weird/dumb.

[quote name='Blackout']What's the guy expecting? Gears 2? It's a Wii game. Wombat's probably right. And Conduit=Geist. I call it now. The same thing is going to happen.[/quote]

I think you're on to something there. Potentially a very good comparison.

I think the best part is when the guy who posted the entry says he hasn't actually listened to the clip.

"I haven't actually watched it yet, but I heard Irrreversible is a laugh-a-minute!"

Its the internet. Everything said can be spun out of context. You said you liked it for what it was. That's all you can do man. You can't please everyone. Nor should you. It's your opinion and your entitled to it.

I always find it hilarious how Wii fanboys always fall back on their "graphics don't matter" bs, just because they can't accept how awful their system has become, because developers just don't care about anything, because the games that are actually made well on the Wii sell like absolute crap.

That is unbelievably pathetic. The irony of them saying "fuck Wombat" for your impressions on the game is entirely hypocritical and fanboyish. Don't let these bitches get you down, you're the coolest guy in town.

[quote name='yukine']The Conduit is going to play like shit, anyone remember Red Steel? Yeah...[/quote]

Anyone remember Metroid Prime 3: Corruption? Oh wait...

[quote name='yukine']Indeed, I hated Metroid Prime 3.[/quote]

I cast thee into the fiery depths of hell for your foolishness

I'm a wii fan and older. I enjoy some of the games. But to be honest FPS games on the wii don't amount to much. They are simply what they with no real meat. What is funny is all of what they say is based off screens and videos off IGN. None have actually been able to actually try it.

Wow, a bunch of 10 year old "gamers" are bashing you Wombat.

Don't worry Wombat, we stand by your side. And don't feel bad about saying the Wii is _(input 'crappy' console adjective here)_, the console is USELESS for games. But, I guess you have to give those immature fan boys credit, they are defending their console's only (possibly) decent FPS game.

I think these guys are way overreacting, Wombat is just stating his opinion and other obvious reasons that create a huge disadvantage and challenge for FPS to overcome on the Wii.

If they don't like it, tough. FPS are the one game where graphics do matter, and Wii just can't compare with the 360 and PS3.

Plus, the controls on the Wii with a FPS take a while to get used to, so it's only natural someone would complain when first playing the game.

My favorite comment:

"He got up on his soapbox again, and says he doesn’t want to support this game due to the fact the developers wouldn’t let him use his audio interview because they had a woman translator, and didn’t want a female’s voice to represent them. I mean come on, could you try any harder to find a reason to hate a Wii game? To boycott a game just because the Japanese developer doesn’t want a womans voice to do this translation is absurd. He wouldn’t of bought the game anyway!"

Refusing to support a chauvinistic company that wastes your time! HOW DARE YOU WOMBAT!!!!!!!

That guy completely misses the point.

In my life I found Nintendo fanboys to be the worst compared to Microsoft and Sony fanboys. Some people take things too seriously and end up looking like a douche bag. Wombat. Rock on man.

That's because Nintendo roxx the hardest!!!!11111

But seriously, I laughed. I've loved Nintendo since I don't know when and I still love going back and playing my NES, super NES, etc. but I'll admit that my Wii just sits in my dorm room drawer. I may have to break it out to play Eternal Darkness though now that I got a copy of that. :)

I got slammed by GoNintendo as well. Remind me to care when the fanboys start ranting.

I may be listener to this podcast and gonintendo also a fan of nintendo, but these guys have just gone too far with the lashings. I mean it's Wombat's opinion not 50% of the core gamer population!

bread's done
Back