What's your favorite type of game case (jewel, cardboard, etc)?

Assuming they keep some sort of optical media, I really like the PS3 clear cases. It's a good size height-wise (though I think I'd like the thinner Blu-Ray cases). Plus the clear case allows for some cool box art opportunity on the inside covers. I don't mind that the instruction manuals are smaller since manuals seem to get more sparse anyway.

I am pretty content with the standard DVD cases, either single or double width. However, I would easily settle for something along the lines of a Blue-Ray style case.

As annoying as games used to be with larger boxes that took up to much space, I miss the days when publishers put a lot of work into even the packaging and what was included. Now it's usually just a slip of paper with a CD key on it. For the younger generation who isn't aware:

A History of PC Game Packaging

I kinda liked those oversized dvd style cases the first batch of PSone games had.

Hate cardboard. Hate jewel cases. Love the DS game cases, though I never keep my games in them.

If all that is in the case is a manual and a disc, I would rather have the ultra slim cases a lot of TV Seasons use for each disc. I could store a lot more that way. Otherwise I like the smaller blu ray cases.

I love the PS3 cases, so keep? I also buy quite a bit of PC games and they need to get rid of the cardboard cases. I like what Warhammer Online did and just went with a DVD style case with a cardboard sleeve on the outside. Also, I don't really like the cheap feeling flimsy DVD cases either.

[quote name='62t']hmm somehow I know who the OP is going to be before I click on the topic.[/quote]
Is that a bad thing? I'm the only one who voted for something new :lol:. I like DVD slightly more than Jewel (only because of reliability, while Jewel take up less space). I think PS3 has the best, but that's an evolution of the keep case. I think a new type of case can be released next gen that is even better.

Current generation for me! PS3 cases (not the platinum ones though. UGH!) over normal DVD cases.

In the future we might not even have cases because games might become digital...like some now ;)

Jewel, because I can reuse those to turn in projects/give burned shit to people in. I just stick the game in my CD book thing and put the case in my stack.

I tend to keep my games in a stock case. If I have to favorite one though the PS3 boxes are the best. Especially when there is cover art on both sides. If I buy a game without a case I tend to pop it into a colorful jewel CD case.

[quote name='62t']hmm somehow I know who the OP is going to be before I click on the topic.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: Yeah, I gotta admit that I was surprised when I saw who it was.

Gotta go with the keep cases. They're the most durable and the easiest to store and display. Cardboard cases are just too fragile for my OCD, must be in prestine shape self.

And for the record, the worst cases of all time are the Sega CD/Saturn cases. Half the ones I own are broken or have a end tab missing. Those things were terrible.

I prefer the current DVD cases, those cardboard boxes IMO were just stupid, especially for pc games. I'm so glad they've finally been abandoned.

Also as much as I too dislike discs, I really hope games don't go 100% digital; there's nothing better than an actual physical copy.

As a side note, this is the first time I've heard a DVD Case referred to as "Keep"

Jewel cases because they are smaller and take up less space.

But I do like those metal DVD cases that some special edition games come in. Steel book or Steel case? I forget the name.

I love the PS3 cases. They seem durable enough, and are small enough that they don't take up too much space. The clear styling is also nice.

Unfortunately, the PS3 greatest hits box are hideous. absolutely hideous. I don't know who's idea it was to make the case itself red, but they needed to be fired.

i would have prefered the jewel cases as they're smaller and compact and can fit at most, i believe, 3 cds' on a single jewel case. however, there are many issues with them.

one issue with jewel cases is that they tend to be easily broken. look at those sega cd/saturn and ps1 games, most of them broke or has a crack front cover.

a second issue is that the jewel case doesn't securely stay close. if i dropped a dvd case, the probability of the case opening is smaller then compared to a jewel case where it is more likely to be opened and the cd popping out of the holder and getting scratched.

last is the printing. a jewel case is slim and compact, because of this the printings on them are smaller and become harder to see if you were to store them on the sides and read the side labels. additionally, the labels on a jewel case are inserted on the inside, which also makes viewing the labels difficult. with dvd cases, the side labels are bigger and the covers are outside the case and protected from a sheet of clear plastic which makes viewing the labels easier.

overall the dvd case is better, but if the jewel case can be more improved on then i'd go for the jewel case. if the jewel case was made like the nintendo ds cases, then i'd definitely would prefer them then the dvd cases.

Put it this way. If someone steps on a cd case you got a broeken case thats easily replaceable. If someone steps on a dvd or blu ray case you got a damaged insert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at my games, I really, really like the jewel cases used for Japanese PS1 & Dreamcast games, they're thick and durable.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']
overall the dvd case is better, but if the jewel case can be more improved on then i'd go for the jewel case. if the jewel case was made like the nintendo ds cases, then i'd definitely would prefer them then the dvd cases.[/quote]
Yes, I would prefer if they made the next generation's cases the size and material of DS cases but held Blurays inside. It would even be better for the discs protection because 1) theres not a lot of open space compared to a regular keep (dvd) case which can be flattened in the middle and 2) if the discs got loose they would not get tossed around as much as they do in keep cases. Would also save space and help to differentiate from older games. :bouncy:

[quote name='under_scorer']
As a side note, this is the first time I've heard a DVD Case referred to as "Keep"[/QUOTE]

That's been around since the early days of DVD. You had some in these type of cases, and others in the cardboard "snapper" cases. Thus the talk when movies were announced was whether it would come in a snapper or a keep case. Not sure where the keep case moniker came from though.

I don't ever want to see cardboard packaging EVER! I used to love the Genesis cases as well. I just wish that the cases would sometimes come in different colors, same shape but dye the plastic, blue, or red, or do something special for some of the LE games. Also, I love metal cases, like FFXII and RE4, I'd love to see more of those as well for LE(s).

Jewel cases are easiest for storage, but I like that DVD-size cases have a little more room for artwork, and can accommodate a larger manual. The old cardboard boxes were beyond terrible, it was impossible to keep them in decent shape short of leaving it sealed in the shrinkwrap.

I love steelbooks too but they probably would not be accepted for mass retail by publishers because of the increased cost, even if it was small, I'm guessing.

PS3 cases seems to be winner so far (at least they look the most newest in my collection)
I use to love those Saturn and Sega CD cases (those broke easily though)
Also liked those Game Gear cases
You guys remember the original PSX case? (that dvd case-esque looking one)

Is there a way to keep your cases looking like new?

bread's done
Back