Where would you go to replace/repair a dangling side view mirror?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
Well, so some asshole dumbshit broke my right side view mirror on my car and it's just dangling there now. What's a place that could fix this type of thing? Would Pep Boys be able to fix it?

I've been taping it up while driving for the past couple days. Any idea how much something like this might cost? I think I need to replace the entire side view mirror assembly.

You could roll the dice with a junkyard, get the entire piece and just have a good mom & pop type of mechanic shop fix it. You'd probably have a tough time finding one in the same paint. eBay might be a good option just to find the part itself, and then worry about finding someone to fix it for you.

Other than tape and/or silicon caulk, which I most likely will not do, any idea how much it should cost to get the whole mirror assembly replaced?

Go to a hair salon and get one of those handheld mirrors. Drill a hole in your door and stick the handle in it. Problem solved!

i don't know why your against the apoxy suggestion. I would try it before paying out the ass to get a new one.

But in any case, call a junk yard and ask how much the mirror will cost, and how much they'll charge to take it off the vehicle. Then call a mechanic and ask how much he'll charge to put it on. That's the best answer you'll get here.

[quote name='Cracka']i don't know why your against the apoxy suggestion. I would try it before paying out the ass to get a new one.

But in any case, call a junk yard and ask how much the mirror will cost, and how much they'll charge to take it off the vehicle. Then call a mechanic and ask how much he'll charge to put it on. That's the best answer you'll get here.[/quote]

The thing is entirely broken, otherwise I would have done the epoxy method already. I thought I was pretty clear by saying it would have to be replaced/repaired. I'm gonna just start calling around.

i need to get mine fixxed as well... well just the glass part. Was driving down the road few months back delivering papers and went past a garbage can and heard a big boom and the glass flew into the car (did not break)

I did not hit the can cause there is no damage to the car.. I can only guess that the pressure between the mirror and the can force the glass to pop out

I had a mirror replaced in the last year.

It'll probably cost you around $120 to get the whole assembly. You may be able to do the job yourself, if you're handy with screwdriver. Alternatively, as others have said, get the part from Ebay or a junk yard, and then find a local mechanic and haggle for the cheapest price to get it done.

when this happened to my father a few years back it cost him about 375$ to get it replaced by a friend... most of the cost was the mirror which had the electric mirror movement which is why it was so expensive.

My driver's side mirror was hit as it was parked on a public road. I got a replacement from carparts.com and replaced the side mirror myself. All it took was a pair of needle nose pliers and 10 minutes. It was an automatically adjustable mirror that was simple enough to plug the jack into the new mirror. it works fine now. The only problem is that the mirror is black plastic and my car is blue. I am assuming that the mirror is the damaged part, if it is the mounting I guess I would take it to the garage.

BTW I called a garage and they wanted more than $100. I got the part with free shipping (via a google search for a coupon) for $35. So if 10 minutes of your time is worth more than $70 i would take it to a garage. Good Luck.

here is a link to the carparts.com search for your car.
http://www.carparts.com/MIRRORS/GP_2016787_N_111+2000+200741184+600022141_10618.car

[quote name='gweenpea']My driver's side mirror was hit as it was parked on a public road. I got a replacement from carparts.com and replaced the side mirror myself. All it took was a pair of needle nose pliers and 10 minutes. It was an automatically adjustable mirror that was simple enough to plug the jack into the new mirror. it works fine now. The only problem is that the mirror is black plastic and my car is blue. I am assuming that the mirror is the damaged part, if it is the mounting I guess I would take it to the garage.

BTW I called a garage and they wanted more than $100. I got the part with free shipping (via a google search for a coupon) for $35. So if 10 minutes of your time is worth more than $70 i would take it to a garage. Good Luck.

here is a link to the carparts.com search for your car.
http://www.carparts.com/MIRRORS/GP_2016787_N_111+2000+200741184+600022141_10618.car[/quote]

It's the actual mounting that is damaged. The mirror is fine, but the entire side view mirror is jacked up.

[quote name='dragonjud']I had a mirror replaced in the last year.

It'll probably cost you around $120 to get the whole assembly. You may be able to do the job yourself, if you're handy with screwdriver. Alternatively, as others have said, get the part from Ebay or a junk yard, and then find a local mechanic and haggle for the cheapest price to get it done.[/quote]

Thats dumb, you paid to much. I work at a dealership and the markup on these things is like 50 to 75%. Plus they charge an hourly rate to put it on. DUMB DUMB DUMB

Go to http://www.partstrain.com

Order it yourself and have someone put it on for you. Hell go to a body shop and ask them to put it on for you. You could also go to the local community college and ask them to do it if they have an automotive shop.

I sell parts for a Mitsubishi dealership and can check into how much a new one will cost for you tomorrow. I will warn you that OEM Mitsubishi parts are not cheap and it sounds like you need to replace the entire assembly (the only way they come OEM). I will look it up and let you know in the morning.

One question: Is the mirror body colored or is it black/textured? If it is body colored, you will need to figure in another $100 for it to be painted because they don't come painted unless it is the current model year (most of the time).

[quote name='jbroush99']I sell parts for a Mitsubishi dealership and can check into how much a new one will cost for you tomorrow. I will warn you that OEM Mitsubishi parts are not cheap and it sounds like you need to replace the entire assembly (the only way they come OEM). I will look it up and let you know in the morning.

One question: Is the mirror body colored or is it black/textured? If it is body colored, you will need to figure in another $100 for it to be painted because they don't come painted unless it is the current model year (most of the time).[/quote]

Correct, body colored mirrors need to be painted separately. Plain black ones dont.

Imo I would still order it online as you would avoid the middle man. The middle man being the dealership.

[quote name='LiveCrazy_Joe']Thats dumb, you paid to much. I work at a dealership and the markup on these things is like 50 to 75%. Plus they charge an hourly rate to put it on. DUMB DUMB DUMB

Go to http://www.partstrain.com

Order it yourself and have someone put it on for you. Hell go to a body shop and ask them to put it on for you. You could also go to the local community college and ask them to do it if they have an automotive shop.[/quote]

Thank you. I really needed the whole dumb name calling.

I never said I went to the dealership and paid for it. I was providing different options. Nissan wanted a whole lot of dough to do it themselves. The lowest price for a new assembly and mirror was $120 at different places. I got it used at the junk yard for $70.00. I then put it on myself.

Not everybody has a junk yard around, or has the patience to deal with Ebay or wait for shipping.

[quote name='jbroush99']I sell parts for a Mitsubishi dealership and can check into how much a new one will cost for you tomorrow. I will warn you that OEM Mitsubishi parts are not cheap and it sounds like you need to replace the entire assembly (the only way they come OEM). I will look it up and let you know in the morning.

One question: Is the mirror body colored or is it black/textured? If it is body colored, you will need to figure in another $100 for it to be painted because they don't come painted unless it is the current model year (most of the time).[/quote]

Hey, thanks man! I really appreciate it. It's a silver 2000 Galant, and yeah, mirror body is colored.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. The catalog states that the mirror is silver so it may come painted already. The bad news is that a RH power mirror assembly runs $142.27, but if it also is a heated mirror then it is $193.57.

sorry I couldn't respond/get on CAG sooner. Mid-terms are a pain. Hmm...what's a heated mirror? In any case, I don't think I have one. Any idea how much the labor should roughly cost? I still have to call a pep boys or some places around town (again, mid-terms are a pain).

[quote name='jbroush99']A repair shop would probably charge 1 hour of labor time to replace it ($50-60 around here). But replacing a side mirror is pretty easy, especially on a Galant : http://www.ehow.com/how_4508996_replace-power-mirror-mitsubishi-galant.html

A heated mirror will defrost itself like the rear windshield does. They sometimes have a small insignia of 3 wavy lines on the glass itself showing that it's heated.[/quote]

Hmm..thanks for that!!! I might try to fix it myself now. It really doesn't sound too bad. Still, do you know if there are any sites with photographs to assist in the installation of the mirror?

Thanks for the video man! When I did some searches/googles nothing like that had come up. I'll have to see if I can get some of the tools shown in the video, since I'm without my toolkit here.

[quote name='jbroush99']Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. The catalog states that the mirror is silver so it may come painted already. The bad news is that a RH power mirror assembly runs $142.27, but if it also is a heated mirror then it is $193.57.[/QUOTE]

Can I ask you one other question jbroush99, is the only way to get the mirror with its original silver paint color (without repainting a part) through an OEM? All the parts places online make it seem that it comes standard as black, at least after market.

Also, how much would it cost to get it painted if I ended up having to go that route?

I know how it feels OP, both of the side view mirrors on my 2000 Bonneville are destroyed.

And my entire passenger side is smashed up.

And someone not only busted the lock on my driver side door, but also stole the lock.

Needless to say, my car is all kinds of fucked up :cry:

Geez, I missed you again! You can get black mirrors (non painted) from Mitsubishi for $104.03 each (both sides same price).

[quote name='jbroush99']Geez, I missed you again! You can get black mirrors (non painted) from Mitsubishi for $104.03 each (both sides same price).[/quote]

Right, but is Mitsubishi the only place to find pre-painted silver ones?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Right, but is Mitsubishi the only place to find pre-painted silver ones?[/quote]

As far as I know, yes.

[quote name='jbroush99']As far as I know, yes.[/quote]

Oh, Ok. Thanks a ton!! You've been a life-saver, dollar stretcher, and mroe. I'll probably just buy them from a dealership and install them myself then. It'll save me having to repaint it/them, etc.

Too bad you don't know anyone that works for a Mitsubishi dealership that could get you a nice discount on the mirror. ;)

If you PM me your VIN number, I can see what kind of a deal I can get you (the vin is to make 100% sure of the correct part).

i did one on a '93 t-bird (school bus swiped it and ripped it off), took maybe 20 minutes. got the whole mirror case and all off ebay, took out a chilton's repair guide to find all the screws needed to be removed (amazing where they can hide those things behind) unclipped the wire harness, installed new and re-clipped, put everything back on . 25 bucks off ebay, 20 minutes and done.

[quote name='MasterSprtn117']Go for ebay first. Then try a junk yard. Craigstlist? Dealership prices are a killer.[/quote]

They don't have the color I need for the part, plus the prices turn out pretty comparable if I just bought it new/elsewhere.

[quote name='jbroush99']Too bad you don't know anyone that works for a Mitsubishi dealership that could get you a nice discount on the mirror. ;)

If you PM me your VIN number, I can see what kind of a deal I can get you (the vin is to make 100% sure of the correct part).[/quote]

Thank you so much again. I'll try to PM you the VIN number soon.

I just wanted to say a thousand thank yous to jbroush99!!!!!!!!!!!! I seriously cannot show enough gratitude to you. I managed to find a cheap new Galant mirror in the color I needed through the net, and just today managed to repair/replace the old broken side view mirror mount. Coupled together with the video he found and this link: http://www.ehow.com/how_4508996_replace-power-mirror-mitsubishi-galant.html I was able to remove the door mount and switch out the old mirror. You were such a great help.

bread's done
Back