XBLA - Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram (v.5.66) - 1200pts

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
A listing appeared for this in the Australian Rating System's database, but it didn't list what system it was for. Now it has been confirmed by the latest Famitsu that a port of Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram is coming to the XBox Live Arcade for 1200 points.
http://kjm.kir.jp/data/1235526620294.jpg

It's based off of the 5.66 version, which was released in the arcades after the DC version was released. Here's what Wiki had to say about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber_Troopers_Virtual-On_Oratorio_Tangram
[quote name='Version 5.66 Arcade']New features and Differences

* 3 new VRs were added, although they were more variants than new models.
* VMS support for custom coloring and emblems.
* "Quick messages" are available for customization.
* The extra stages featured in the Dreamcast version 5.45 were included.
* The empty player side no longer has a live view of the battle taking place on the playing side.
* The freezing problem caused by 60 floating mines was fixed.

[edit] M.S.B.S. ver5.66 Virtuaroid Update

[edit] MBV-04-10 10/80SP

The "ten-eighty special" is a mass-produced version of the original MBV-04-G Temjin from Operation Moongate in the first Virtual On game. Compared to the old Temjin, it featured slightly sedated attacks, but comparatively better response. The pistol it holds is named as the C.G.S. type a1/c by the Hobby Japan novel installments.

Unfortunately, it suffers being modeled after a first generation virtuariod, and lacks the full range of turbo attacks as well as the ability to air-dash. Its speed is marginally adequate for the combats of Oratario Tangram. It is often seen as a handicap machine, akin to Dan in the Street Fighter Alpha series.

The 10/80 was first featured in the One Man Rescue and subsequently The Wall of Truth novel installments in the Hobby Japan magazine.

[edit] RVR-12 Apharmd C

A third Apharmd model released to accompany the split Battle and Striker models is the Commander model. It is more balanced between long and short range fights than the others, and is likened to a descendant of the original Apharmd. It has an arm-mounted removable machete instead of tongfers and a shotgun, similar to that used by the original Apharmd.

[edit] SBV-328-B Stein-Vok

A variant of the Grys-Vok. The basic body frame design is exactly the same as the Grys-Vok While the Grys-Vok featured a full armarment of missile weapons, the Stein-Vok replaces all the physical projectiles with high-density beam weapons. The beam weapons still feature the wide array of attacks, which is a trademark of the Grys-vok, but the beam weapons often face a disadvantage against virtuaroids with strong V-armor. The beam attacks generally travel faster, but deal less damage. The Stein-Vok is relatively less popular among the cast of virtuaroids.[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG, VOOT ON XBL ?

MS really wants me to throw away my Dreamcast. Really, how much longer untill we see crazy Taxi on XBL?

As long as they use both analog sticks for control and have online play, I'm in.

[quote name='KingDox']OMG, VOOT ON XBL ?

MS really wants me to throw away my Dreamcast. Really, how much longer untill we see crazy Taxi on XBL?[/quote]
Forget that. Where the fuck is my ChuChu Rocket?!

:drool: Though Virtual On isn't Virtual On without the crazy arcade cabinet. The new way of pricing everything 1200 points instead of 800 still bugs me.

At 800, this would probably be a blind purchase for me. I have had a couple of these on home systems, so an arcade one with online play, easy buy.

1200, probably still a buy, assuming online play. Problem with $15 (unless another point sale before then) is that is pretty much a retail game purchase for me. If the game is deep enough, great. But, I hate to pay $15 and be dependent on online play for any fun.

Nice!

Here's more info, including price:

The latest issue of Famitsu reveals an XBLA game that we can already pretty much guarantee is going to be awesome -- because it already was awesome in arcades and on the Dreamcast. The 5.66 revision of Virtual On Oratorio Tangram, Sega's classic arena game about robots shooting each other until they explode, is on the way to Japan's Xbox Live Arcade at a price of 1200
microsoftpointslogosmall.gif
($15).
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/24/voot-virtual-on-oratorio-tangram-coming-to-xbla/

[quote name='GodlyOne']:drool: Though Virtual On isn't Virtual On without the crazy arcade cabinet. The new way of pricing everything 1200 points instead of 800 still bugs me.[/QUOTE]

This probably goes for $15 on eBay. Considering it'll be a last gen console game from a dead system $15 is a steal!

Edit: No sorry more like triple that. The cheapest I saw on eBay was $9.99 but disc only. Sealed copies are going for $99.99.

[quote name='benjamouth']Just watched that trailer on Kotaku, I was quite underwhelmed TBH.[/QUOTE]

I'll second that. I was hoping for at least a slight update just because they're going to charge $15 for it but it looks like a straight up port.

The game ROCKS! There is a local arcade with a GREAT condition cabinet for 2 players. The game is amazing with the real joysticks, it just doesn't feel the same without them. Game is tons of fun!

[quote name='SnotRocket']The game ROCKS! There is a local arcade with a GREAT condition cabinet for 2 players. The game is amazing with the real joysticks, it just doesn't feel the same without them. Game is tons of fun![/QUOTE]

Where is it at?

[quote name='GodlyOne']:drool: Though Virtual On isn't Virtual On without the crazy arcade cabinet. The new way of pricing everything 1200 points instead of 800 still bugs me.[/quote]

yep no way I wouldn't pay 1200 points for this, I think its a questionable buy at even 800 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukento
Forget that. Where the fuck is my ChuChu Rocket?!
fuck that. Where the hell is my Power Stone / Power Stone 2?

You guys just named my two most wanted titles... well those and Return fire.

Its just not the same with the twin sticks. With no really big graphic update, just a port 1200 points seems like a farcry.

And adding to the dreamcast cries.

Where's my Project Justice? I'd gladly pay 1200 for it. Even if its a port.

Outrun was a bare-bones version of the game, which has been released on game systems and PC numerous times in the past few years, and was developed by Sumo digital.

Virtual On OT is based off the final version of VOOT, which, technically, has never had a port (It's more up to date than the Dreamcast Version), which, from what I know, was only released once, has no cut content from the version it's based on, and was released by Sega's Japanese publishing side.

Yeah, to the consumer, it's another "So... err, it's still just SEGA!" thing, but the higher ups have a different idea yet again... (-_-; )

I got into like... 2 hours of Fights with a Japanese opponent this morning. I was Specineff, he had Dordray. GAH, I got mad at his drill and claw soooo many times, lol. But I'm sure he had to hate my GIANT GLOWING BALLS OF DEATH, too, so it was all good!

Twin Stick Controls are THE BEST CHOICE! Nothing else matters! XD

1200 points?
fuck them. This is a 800 points game and not a nickel (or point) over. I think Sega is imagining some gigantic cult following for this game that doesn't exist.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Yipes, just saw the 400 point jump. That kills it for me :([/quote]

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']1200 points?
fuck them. This is a 800 points game and not a nickel (or point) over. I think Sega is imagining some gigantic cult following for this game that doesn't exist.[/quote]

What's wrong with you two? Well maybe you, Hydro, just don't have the funds for it which I understand. But really Friend of Sonic? $15 for the best version of Virtual On is too much? I mean you get multiplayer and color edit as well as all of the different character additions seems like a fine price to pay. Game went for $50 when it came out on Dreamcast which is technically only last generation.

Maybe you just suck at VO and it's only worth $10 to you. Like I expect Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 to be $15 as well.

Anyway. I'm still working with getting my perfect controls. What I have now is partly inspired by Armored Core 4.

Left and Right Triggers for Left and Right Turbo respectfully.
Left and Right Bumpers both for Center Weapon
X and B for Left and Right Weapon respectfully.
Y for Jump Cancel and A for Jump
Left and Right Click for Special
Right Stick for turning.
Left stick for forward, back, and strafing left and right.

[quote name='FurryCurry']What's wrong with you two? Well maybe you, Hydro, just don't have the funds for it which I understand. But really Friend of Sonic? $15 for the best version of Virtual On is too much? I mean you get multiplayer and color edit as well as all of the different character additions seems like a fine price to pay. Game went for $50 when it came out on Dreamcast which is technically only last generation.

Maybe you just suck at VO and it's only worth $10 to you. Like I expect Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 to be $15 as well. [/QUOTE]

I would suggest that for many people (myself included) it has more to do with the arbitrary 400 point bump versus not being able to scrounge up an extra five dollars. Everytime someone buys a game at 1200 points, it sends an unfortunate message that it is okay to charge that much for a game.

I'll be the first to admit that I've done it twice with Castle Crashers and Street Fighter HD. However, I'd be willing to bet that both of those games were in development for considerably longer and cost significantly more money to create than this arcade port of VOOT.

Game has been announced for 1200 for a while, though. This wasn't a "bait and switch".

I was surprised to see 5k+ people on the leaderboard this morning, when the game had only been out 2 or 3 hours. VOOT has a pretty dang strong following. I think a good amount of Japanese players made a Watari-dash to pick the game up ^_^

I was more surprised Outrun was 800pts, than I was surprised this was 1200, though. I guess games that still feel this "fresh" don't phase me being that price point. And if this extra 5 bucks helps them decide to release actual TWIN STICKS for the 360, then it is insanely 100% fine with me.

Man, this is the first time I've got to play VOOT against non-family-and-friends in such a long time... I love getting to see how really high-caliber players are able to fight. It really forces you to learn all your moves and EXACTLY when to use them!

Oh, and, did previous ports of VO have color edit? Or is this a feature derived from VO4 (Virtual On FORCE) or something? I'm pretty sure I don't remember it being in the DC port, and I can't remember if it was in MARS or not...

I got it, but it was was a no brainer for me. I never got to play Voot with other people and now I can. Plus I didn't get out run since I have outrun2 on the original xbox that plays fine on my 360. My Voot DC disk doesn't work in my 360 so I had no problem buying the game at 1200 points.

Just like Rez, just like MvC2 and Ikaruga. I'll pay the cash to get my games all on one console if I like the game enough.

Demo played nicely and its looking great. Can't quite pull the trigger yet though, maybe a rainy day purchase. I have Marz on PS2, I don't even think I played it really.

[quote name='FurryCurry']What's wrong with you two? Well maybe you, Hydro, just don't have the funds for it which I understand. But really Friend of Sonic? $15 for the best version of Virtual On is too much? I mean you get multiplayer and color edit as well as all of the different character additions seems like a fine price to pay. Game went for $50 when it came out on Dreamcast which is technically only last generation.

Maybe you just suck at VO and it's only worth $10 to you. Like I expect Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 to be $15 as well.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe you just suck at being a CAG ;). Outrun 800, this port 1200. I don't really like supporting 1200 point games, even if this one has added Live multiplayer. As far as I know, the new characters in 5.66 are just variants on existing ones. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one. Also, color edit on its own is not a reason to purchase something-- correct me if I'm wrong on that one also.

I do like that Sega remembers this series. I'd love to support it if I could trust them to make a new one that does justice to the series, considering the Virtual On Marz was a complete dead fetus abortion.

It's decent from what I played. I do not know how I played this on DC without the 2nd joystick. I want to buy it, but I don't see myself playing it a awful lot. The old school feel is great, and it's old but the graphics are really clean.
It really feels like Wartech: Senko no Ronde with a closer camera.

For me it's just that the 1200 point difference means I'm pretty much using my whole points card on that game. I really miss the days of 400 point games, I know you can't really expect to get Super Contra and Vitrual On for the same price but the cheaper the game is, the faster I'll buy it or likely buy on impulse.

I paid 1200 points for Hd Remix and don't regret it for a minute. Really wish I didn't for Castle Crashers since I think it's terrible, but eventually I'll get Virtual On. I really want that Fallout 3 DLC and if I buy VO now I won't have enough for it next week.

I picked this up even though I agree that 1200 is pushing it a little but IMHO, if the release is good, and your a Sega fan, buying these arcady games like Outrun, VO, hopefully will encourage Sega to release more arcade/Dreamcast and maybe even Saturn games (probably not on XBLA, but maybe VC) -- if Dreamcaset Daytona was released, but with better controls, that'd be awesome. Imagine if they released some kind of Panzer Dragoon trilogy.

bread's done
Back