CAGcast #151: Xbox Vista

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]Do you think games are too expensive? Do you long for the days of the old Xbox 360 Dashboard? If so, this podcast is for you! Join us for discussion on these topics, as well as the latest shopping and industry news, new releases, your CAGbag questions and so much more!

Get a free trial of Netflix and support the CAGcast:
www.netflix.com/cagcast

[podcast]54[/podcast]
Download - 107 minutes, 43MB
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photos & Video:
377388329_329806.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wall-e is a very good movie, they did a good job presenting the utopian and dystopian themes. Make sure you also watch the short film as well on the DVD/Blu-ray "Presto" has to be my favorite short by Pixar so far.

Over the past couple of weeks, the dashboard both in-game and out on my 360 has become less responsive, and pretty much everything Wombat said about it is a feeling I share. I'd also like to add that due to the pricing structure Microsoft has on their hard drives, with the install feature, I feel that they've turned the 360 into the HD version of the Wii with their storage space for the majority of 360 ownerss. You don't need to install games (like you don't need to buy Virtual Console games), but you want to anyway.

I feel the show was really good this week mainly because of Wombat seemingly taking the lead on the show with information and insight.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The new xbox dashboard has me playing alot more PS3 games. :D[/QUOTE]

Me too.

Also, I have to install my 360 games otherwise I get a DRE almost every time I try to play a game. And with only a 20gb drive, I had to delete almost all my xbla games just so I can have more than 1 game intstalled at a time.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The new xbox dashboard has me playing alot more PS3 games. :D[/quote]

Same, I love how accessible the PS3 interface is. (Also I upgraded it to 250gb, so I never worry about my space being filled - compared to my 360 with only 20gb is a nightmare). I've been buying all Multiplatform titles on my PS3 due to the ease/quickness of the XMB.

For some reason my 360 Friend list takes literally 1-2 minutes to load. It's insane.

Look forward to listening to this episode! I enjoy just Wombat and Cheapy.

I have to disagree with the Xbox Vista comment. Mostly because I find the "new" Xbox Experience to be easier to access things than it was on the old version. Though I probably don't have the lag people have on their friends list, because I only have about 6 friends. And I know to look at messages when I'm not in the middle of a game, or about to begin one.

it's sad how people judge your cagcast just by the title, you probably lost one listener but who cares? when i saw the title of last weeks cagcast i knew that it was a joke instantly. first of all because i do understand sarcasm, secondly because i know that you make jokes all the time.( and that is by the way one of the main reasons why i listen to the cagcast).

Cheapy no twitter/videogamedealscanada? great show and I love how you saved your burp at the end. It would not be an official cagcast without a cheapyd burp.

Thanks for the show guys! Will give it a listen tonigh :)

I listened to Episode 150 like three times. Dont know why, i never usually do.

You enjoy Dominoes Cheapy? lol...

You guys are crazy! :p

I love the new dash. Everything is so much faster now. My list of games/achievements now loads instantly when it used to take 10-15 seconds. My friends list also loads pretty fast, but I don't have 100 friends on there. I have 52. The list loads pretty much instantly while the avatars take a little less than 10 sec to load.

Ugh I don't know how someone could miss the old dash. It was so bad...

Nice show guys. I think the community gaming night is a good idea; if it wasn't, there wouldn't be so many of them around! ;)

Also, the intro song was horrible. Bring back the user-made CAG theme songs! "Everyday I'm Cheap As Shit" is a classic!

Also x 2:

Cheapy, 50 Cent's game was actually $50 on Amazon, so maybe publishers are more open to pricing experiments.

LULZ, at all the Wii hate. Cheapy D- "'a breezy weekend diversion with some fun game-play and sub-par graphics . . . ' Sounds like what they should put on the Wii console's box!"

I have to say I still really like the "Xbox Vista". For me, it is a lot faster than the blades. I hit the guide button and can instantly navigate through it with absolutely no lag. I only have around 20 friends so maybe that has something to do with it. For the record, I have a very old 360, I think the manufacture date is 2/2006.

EDIT: Sorry, but I like not having the "CAGs on News" theme song. The high pitch voice is ear piercing.

I have to agree completely with Wombat's frustration over the comments he received at GoNintendo - hardcore Nintendo fans are probably the most feral, stubborn, and ridiculous people around the gaming community. Sony fans sometimes come close, but Nintendo fans are by far the worst.

So no worries, Wombat - reasonable people who actually listened to what you had to say agreed with you. ;)

I haven't listened to the show yet but I did have a comment.

In the past we the listeners have given you flak for the way you run the front page. You and Wombat may joke about our comments but the quality/usefulness of the front page has varied since the CAGcast started winning awards. You told us you would work on that and maybe some of us felt that was an empty promise designed to placate us. I just wanted to let you know that I for one have noticed a difference lately and I appreciate it. I see the deals you've been posting and while I might not partake in all of them. I apprecaite seeing them. Thank you.--
Wolfkin

P.S. Heck yeah Q-Unit. after that Kanye mix I was gonna show you the Q-Unit but apparantly you already know what's up.

Wombat,you say you watch Burn Notice and the Killzone 2 commercials have been running on USA for sure...Saw one on Monday

Hi guys/girls,

1st of all regarding your "Xbox Vista" statement; CheapyD & Wombat, you guys are a little off.

I know that you guys are suffering response times when it gets to the new dashboard (besides a small percent of people who AREN'T)
I'll tell you why:
I own a Xbox 360 Elite, and just the other day it decided to die on me!
I got pissed and came straight to the CAG site to see if there were any special deals just in case I decided to buy a new Xbox 360!
Anyway, I waited a couple of days, then ended up buying one (Arcade version) via Dell (thanks to the CAG site)!
A few days passed before I received my new console, where in the meantime I was surfing the forums and read of people who have already received theirs and claimed that Dell have indeed sent out the Jasper versions, I was really happy about that bit, because we all know that it's suppose to be more reliable.
So the day arrived and I got my new Xbox 360, I took it out of the box and plugged it in.
After it was in place and set up properly, I turned it on. Once it came on I got a prompt message to update my dashboard version; I did so.
After the update was complete I went to the system settings to see that the Jasper does indeed include it's very own onboard MU (yes, a built in Memory Unit of 256MB onboard).
After giving a small smile and thinking "cool", I attached my 120GB HDD from my elite and moved important system files to the MU (like iPod support update, Themes etc..), I then redownloaded my Halo 3 Premium theme and applied it to my new system.
When I was done and I finally started using my system I was blown away by the response time the Xbox was giving me! it improved not by 50% but by 85%, it's actually a treat to bring up the new menu/friends list without being scared of the Dashboard LAG, and this is all thanks to the new Jasper motherboard with it's own built-in MU, which as you've read reduces the Dashboard lag.

There you have it, Jasper FTW!

Shellshock 2 eh?
I remember Shellshock Nam 67 on PS2....it was unsettling to see the various severed heads propped on sticks....like man just walking through in this war seeing feelow soldiers...it was just interesting.Had fun with it though

Cheapy if you're ever looking to ditch your DSi, I'll gladly take it off your hands.

And great show this week, keep it up.

[quote name='dragon-x']Hi guys/girls,

1st of all regarding your "Xbox Vista" statement; CheapyD & Wombat, you guys are a little off.

I know that you guys are suffering response times when it gets to the new dashboard (besides a small percent of people who AREN'T)
I'll tell you why:
I own a Xbox 360 Elite, and just the other day it decided to die on me!
I got pissed and came straight to the CAG site to see if there were any special deals just in case I decided to buy a new Xbox 360!
Anyway, I waited a couple of days, then ended up buying one (Arcade version) via Dell (thanks to the CAG site)!
A few days passed before I received my new console, where in the meantime I was surfing the forums and read of people who have already received theirs and claimed that Dell have indeed sent out the Jasper versions, I was really happy about that bit, because we all know that it's suppose to be more reliable.
So the day arrived and I got my new Xbox 360, I took it out of the box and plugged it in.
After it was in place and set up properly, I turned it on. Once it came on I got a prompt message to update my dashboard version; I did so.
After the update was complete I went to the system settings to see that the Jasper does indeed include it's very own onboard MU (yes, a built in Memory Unit of 256MB onboard).
After giving a small smile and thinking "cool", I attached my 120GB HDD from my elite and moved important system files to the MU (like iPod support update, Themes etc..), I then redownloaded my Halo 3 Premium theme and applied it to my new system.
When I was done and I finally started using my system I was blown away by the response time the Xbox was giving me! it improved not by 50% but by 85%, it's actually a treat to bring up the new menu/friends list without being scared of the Dashboard LAG, and this is all thanks to the new Jasper motherboard with it's own built-in MU, which as you've read reduces the Dashboard lag.

There you have it, Jasper FTW![/QUOTE]

You realize you are agreeing with us? You see releasing an OS that isn't optimal for all 360's yet forcing an upgrade is kinda wrong. Don't you think?

[quote name='Wombat']You realize you are agreeing with us? You see releasing an OS that isn't optimal for all 360's yet forcing an upgrade is kinda wrong. Don't you think?[/quote]
LOL! indeed, I agree with every word you're saying - but you can't disagree that MS did solve the problem...................... in some way, don't get me wrong, I think they should find a proper solution for everyone who has an Xbox 360 regardless of the mobo.
I was just stating that the new Jasper is basically the new Windows 7 (if you will).

Ironic that both the sequels to KillZone and ShellShock are both releasing this week. Both of which were originated by Guerrilla Games, though obviously ShellShock 2 was handled by a diff. developer.

[quote name='Wombat']You realize you are agreeing with us? You see releasing an OS that isn't optimal for all 360's yet forcing an upgrade is kinda wrong. Don't you think?[/quote]

Wombat, you're on fire this week.

Uh, whats with all this talk of the NXE is faster? Is there a fix for mine than? Cause EVERYTHING on my NXE loads really friggen slow. Do I have to clear the cache or something?

My quick launch loads slow as hell, MY avatars load slow as hell, my friends list loads SUPER slow as hell.

As for the skin care question, I saw something on TV that said Japanese women really take care of their skin so I wanted to know if it was true.

Wall-E is a great movie.. Cheapy you need to watch that.

Killzone 2 Demo - It didn't want to publicize when or even if a demo would come to the PSN Store, because it would have cut down on a lot of the pre-orders. People would have treated it like Gears of War, in which a demo is never released to the public on the online marketplace.

The Conduit - It could work if it follows the Metroid Wii controls.. graphically, you can cheat that with different styles.

Street Fighter IV + Pricing of games - I listened to you guys discuss about prices for games being too uniform and that they should be more fluid to the economy and quality of the game. I agree for the most part, but Street Fighter IV is a game in which I believe should never be 60 bucks. Yes it's got the history, and it has always been a top five fighting game, but even with that is it worth 60 bucks?

CAG Game Night - Some other games you can include - Call of Duty 4, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead

[quote name='Wombat']You realize you are agreeing with us? You see releasing an OS that isn't optimal for all 360's yet forcing an upgrade is kinda wrong. Don't you think?[/QUOTE]

Wrong? MS Wrong? MS has been forcing people to upgrade almost since day one. MS doesn't care about the upgrading of an OS, they rather you upgrade the entire system. RROD was wrong, but hey its getting people to buy more systems.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Uh, whats with all this talk of the NXE is faster? Is there a fix for mine than? Cause EVERYTHING on my NXE loads really friggen slow. Do I have to clear the cache or something?

My quick launch loads slow as hell, MY avatars load slow as hell, my friends list loads SUPER slow as hell.[/quote]
read my post bro!

I definitely agree with Cheapy that current DS Lite owners should probably stick with what they have over upgrading to the DSi, but I am so tired of hearing how crappy the DSi camera is.

The DSi screen resolution is 256x192. The DSi's .3 Megapixel camera takes a 640x480 image which is over 2x the size of the actual screens. With only 265 MB of internal memory, having higher resolution cameras in the DSi would eat that up pretty quick. Sure you could stick an SD card in there to expand your storage capacity, but Nintendo develops for the lowest common denominator so they have to assume the internal memory will be what most people will stick with.

There are plenty of other reasons not to upgrade to the DSi, the $170 price point being the biggest factor IMO, than the "shitty" cameras.

[quote name='thorbahn3']As for the skin care question, I saw something on TV that said Japanese women really take care of their skin so I wanted to know if it was true.[/quote]

"Something on TV" was Oprah. Don't act like you don't know. They just re-ran that episode last week. I know because my wife DVRs every show and she said that it was a re-run of the show that talked about how some Japanese women put some kind of bird shit powder on their face.

So thorbahn3 watches Oprah. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Cheapy, just wanted to let you know that if you played the original Yakuza games, you can upgrade the main guy's moves and abilities. as you upgrade him, he gains some awesome new attacks that look absolutely painful. i think you should get it and have your wife translate it. it's one of my fave games ever. i preordered the japanese one even though i don't know any Japanese. :)

Ok, so i would like to give my two cents about the Xbox dashboard. Last week when you guys talked about it, it sounded like you were saying that when you hit the guide button it takes forever for the guide to come up, which I have never had that problem since NXE. This week it sounds more like you are saying that once you get the guide up it takes forever to make it go away, which is a problem I've recently started to have. When the NXE originally launched I had no problem opening or closing the guide quickly. Now it seems as though it doesn't want to close for whatever reason, but it doesn't always do it either. Sometimes it will open & close just fine but others it will feel like it's freezing the machine up it takes so long. But honestly this is the exact opposite of the problem I had with "Xbox XP" aka the original dashboard (OD). Whenever I would push the guide button on the OD it would take forever to open up, but it would close super quickly. You said you never had any trouble with the OD, well that's great for you. But for me it's pretty much the same thing just in a different order. So personally I would say its a wash as far as the guide opening & closing is concerned. There are some other things that I really liked about the OD & somethings that I really like about NXE. The truth is you can't always get what you want, but as long as it works at least as well as the previos model then it's ok in my book. & i would say overall NXE is at least as good as the OD, but that's just my opinion.

bread's done
Back