NYC: Virgin Megastore Deathwatch

gimpeyjoe

CAGiversary!
Times Square location is departing first, then the Union Square area a few months after that.

Games at Times Square are currently 20% off (PSP and PS3 10% for some reason), books and cds are 25%. Rock Band 2 SE is going for $117 right now. I'll keep things updated as I find out their timetable.

Not that I've seen, I'm on the mailing list for when notable markdowns happen, so that's where I'm getting my info from (that, and I work a short walk from Times, so it's easy enough to check on things).

Research is claiming that they're killing it in April, I'm only hoping to get some RB2 drums to replace my fully working RB1s. The bounce, man, the bounce.

Somebody buy this!
http://www.mtv.com/photos/virgin-me...-gaming-discounts/1606202/3641174/photo.jhtml

fallout.jpg

does the % off seem to be from original MSRP or off more reasonable current prices?
yeah, I know, likely MSRP, but it doesn't hurt to ask

and psp and ps3 are less % off because they ROCK!!!!

[quote name='AoA']does the % off seem to be from original MSRP or off more reasonable current prices?
yeah, I know, likely MSRP, but it doesn't hurt to ask

and psp and ps3 are less % off because they ROCK!!!![/quote]

Was just there yesterday, it's off original MSRP :bomb:

The signs today say 50%, I'll do a sweep through and report.

Not all are MSRP, the under 20 crowd are all still 19.99 to start off at (Harvey Birdman Wii was 40 at CC when they were cleaning house). I might finally pick up RB2 Drums yet.

I stopped by on my way home, here's the deal:

30% on PS2 and DS
25% on Wii, PSP, PS3, and 360

These are off full retail, and they have tons of inventory. I noticed plenty of the following:
Fallout 3 lunchboxes for both systems
Fable II Limited Edition
Madden Limited Edition
Pretty much all the most popular titles are in stock, if anyone wants to ask re a specific title, i'll let you know if I remember seeing it.

I work right next door, so this is going to be the death of me. I picked up some Blurays tonight at 40% (25% + 15% extra when buying 5, not applicable to games sadly).

They do have a lot of game related merch. Rock band/Guitar Hero clothes, hoodies, bags. Same with nintendo old school stuff. I may pick up a couple of tshirts when the prices start dropping.

yeah... it looks like the whole shut down by April is in full swing. Crazy deals on Watchmen and Spirit shirts. came out to 11.99 same for the Spirit action figures. Usually go for 18.99 everywhere else

They should open an Amoeba in NYC. That would be amazing.

I hope Generation Records on Thompson is hanging in there...might be the last good records store in the city.

[quote name='Jeff...']Do you guys know if they still got RockBand2(SE)???[/quote]

Only about a million... Lining the store perimeter, just like CC.

i'll be heading down there shortly, but cant report back till later, but i guess everyone above has just about covered it.

Yeah, the 40%-60% newsletter just came in. I was going to just upgrade my drums to RB2, but if they cut the SE down, I'm going to pick that up and sell off my old setup plus RB1 and 2.

Back from scouting the top floor: Games are now 30% off, still a good selection, might get a copy of Gears 2 out of this afterall. Drums have now dropped to 50 something (52? 58?) and are in good quantity, while the special edition has dwindled and is still 104. What do you guys think? Drums and sell old drums, or SE and sell RB1 bundle with extra copy of RB2? We'll see if there are still any left (they probably just moved them to another floor, they've been rearranging like mad there).

Got Rock Band 2 SE $113.78 after taxes last night. Was going to wait till next drop but this was the last box that looked in perfect condition. I remember seeing about six more so I wouldnt wait for too long in hopes to save about $10. ( My wife is livid ) They still have tons of videogames so I will wait on those. That store just looks good there. Wonder what else will come in in its place...

Rockband 2 (game only) is 50% off so $30 and I saw a couple Fable II LEs as well as some Fire Emblem RD (Wii) and a ton of $20 DS games (nothing particularly amazing or new).

I have also heard Forever 21 is taking that space.

What time were you there, I'm starting to worry that the Special Edition RB2 will be gone by the time I get there in an hour

[quote name='Arakias']Rockband 2 (game only) is 50% off so $30 and I saw a couple Fable II LEs as well as some Fire Emblem RD (Wii) and a ton of $20 DS games (nothing particularly amazing or new).

I have also heard Forever 21 is taking that space.[/QUOTE]

The clothing store ? Virgin will be missed. BTW bought mine (RB2-SE) last night.

Anybody seen Hotel Dusk there? I might go tomorrow, but I will probably wait for the Union Square closing, since I'm usually too lazy to go to Times Square.

[quote name='gimpeyjoe']Papers claim Forever 21 is taking it's place.[/quote]

That will be the biggest Forever 21 EVER.

[quote name='gimpeyjoe']Papers claim Forever 21 is taking it's place.[/quote]

Damn and I was hoping for a Giant Target Clearance store.

I'm actually pretty sad to see the store go. I've gone there every time I went to the city. I moved to Arizona about 4 years ago and it's sad to know that my Next NY trip will have me going into Forever 21 rather then a store I would of liked to kill 1 hour in.

Actually, the signs in-store are INCORRECT. Games are AT LEAST 30% off, possibly more. I only bought two games, so I don't have enough of a sample to say for sure, but:

I bought Fire Emblem for the Wii and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin for the DS. FE was stickered at $50 and AW at $30. 30% off *should* have brought them to $35 and $21, respectively. Not bad, but not great. However, they *actually* rang up at a promo price: FE was $20.99 and AW was $10.49, which is 60% off. MUCH better.

I suspect this is just an undocumented markdown to further clear out the large backlog of games, but it's theoretically possible that the cashiers are just incredibly ambivalent about the whole sale and just scanning everything at the highest discount possible, in which case people should try to use the check-out counter on the second floor. :)

If somebody who picks up a 360/PS3 game can confirm, that'd be great.

[quote name='trq']I bought Fire Emblem for the Wii and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin for the DS. FE was stickered at $50 and AW at $30. 30% off *should* have brought them to $35 and $21, respectively. Not bad, but not great. However, they *actually* rang up at a promo price: FE was $20.99 and AW was $10.49, which is 60% off. MUCH better.[/QUOTE]

Just this morning AW was $8.97 or something before tax.
Also signs now say 40-70% off but video games are still labeled as 30% off though they might be more.
Rock Band 1 and 2 (game only) were both $30 + tax.
If you ever needed a Fallout 3 collectors edition, this place has tons.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Anybody seen Hotel Dusk there? I might go tomorrow, but I will probably wait for the Union Square closing, since I'm usually too lazy to go to Times Square.[/quote]

I saw one there last night.

[quote name='Arakias']Just this morning AW was $8.97 or something before tax.
Also signs now say 40-70% off but video games are still labeled as 30% off though they might be more.
Rock Band 1 and 2 (game only) were both $30 + tax.
If you ever needed a Fallout 3 collectors edition, this place has tons.[/quote]

That's new from last night. Maybe I should have waited a day. I bought Fire Emblem last night and it ended up being 60% off, but I bought Atelier Iris 3 for the PS2 and it was only 30% off, so I'm not sure what's up with the discrepancy. Maybe I'll try some more stuff out later this week to see if anything else is the full 70% off like Advance Wars apparently was.

Edit - I'm talking about the Times Square one, which I assume is the one everyone else is talking about?

[quote name='Rave Child']
Edit - I'm talking about the Times Square one, which I assume is the one everyone else is talking about?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, AW: Days of Ruin was 8.99 "Promo Price" with $0.75 cents tax.

Union Square isn't phasing out untill Times Square closes its doors. It's like a zombie uprising, people. Tactical retreats.

i think rock band stuff is 50% off now. i don't see any special editions left but tonight i picked up a 360 rock band 2 standalone drumset for $45 (only 2 left now for the 360 version).

it's so much better than the rock band 1 drumset!! wireless, pads are a lot softer and don't make much noise, the pedal is metal and doesn't always easily trigger when it's being fully depressed, the length of the cord to the foot pedal is longer now so it isn't pedal isn't half dangling when you're not on it, etc. i love it!

how much stuff is left at the store? I haven't had time to drop by, but I think I'll be able to do so this week.

I'll definitely be browsing around the Union Square location when their closing sale starts since I work nearby.

I just went again yesterday, rockband 2 drums are 60% off, games are only 40%, which is still pretty crappy. DVDs and blurays are somehow still only at 40%off, and they removed the buy 5 or more, get extra 15% thing. Their movies section totally got halved since last friday, so I guess they see no need in furthering reducing the prices so soon.

Games were 40% yesterday, still plenty copies of Fallout3, Gears 2, Saints Row 2, Farcry 2, Many sports games, and a decient stock of DS games.

I picked up Gears and Harvey Birdman, so I'm pretty done with the Times Square vulturing. Hopefully I'll be able to pull some of the newer titles when Union starts sinking in 5 days.

Heading into the city tonight for a show at Terminal 5 and I'm going to stop at the Times Square store on the way.

Hoping to snag Retro Game Challenge and maybe the Korg DS-10 thingamabob.

[quote name='bmachine']Heading into the city tonight for a show at Terminal 5 and I'm going to stop at the Times Square store on the way.

Hoping to snag Retro Game Challenge and maybe the Korg DS-10 thingamabob.[/quote]

I didn't see either there, otherwise I would have picked them up for myself. You could always get them at Amazon for B2G1.

bread's done
Back