Penny Arcade Expo 2009

plasticbathmonki

CAGiversary!
The true successor to E3 (sorry, e for all, but you aren't), PAX 2009 will be Spet. 4-6 (Labor Day weekend...one of the worst times to travel :cry:). I've decided to bite the bullet and travel to Seattle for this year's event . Anyone else heading that way?

For those interested, preregistration is already open ($50 for all 3 days), but no hotel info just yet.

I will be there again this year (attended in 2007 as well). It was a ton of fun last time.

In general I notice a very lackluster and/or negative reception to people on CAG when PAX get mentioned so I wouldn't expect you will get a lot of responses sharing your enthusiasm in this thread (if any responses at all) :/

Here is the official forum if you're looking for more enthused people :)

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

I will hopefully be going, but it will all depend on my work situation. Mass overtime incoming! Luckily, I live in Seattle, so I could go for one day if nothing else.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Any tips for a first-timer?[/QUOTE]

wear comfortable shoes , don't hog the demo stations, and have fun. thats all the tips i can give.
and yes heavyd853
user_offline.gif
you should go cause you'll have fun.

i'm still on for going and my buddies are still going. I can't wait for PAX. Last year I had such a good time. My buddies and I are going to be in the area longer this time so we can go out to the local bars. It's also going to help that this time we get a hotel a block away from the convention. If anyone wants to meet up at pax and chill or even after the shows over and go out drinking let me know. I'm always down for meeting new peeps.

[quote name='MarkMan']I'll be there.

Got some shit to do there. ;)[/QUOTE]

Nice. :lol:

See you there, Mark. Lemme know if you need my help as an enforcer, I'll likely be helping out around Console Tournament. ;)

I am 100% confirmed to go now. I'll be there from the 3rd - 7th.

I'll be at the Namco Bandai Games booth the whole time pretty much. Look for me in the TEKKEN 6 area! I'll be with the other SD TEKKEN guys wearing the SDT/TEKKEN shirts !

I'm about 80% sure I'll be there. Will know by Saturday, since that's the deadline my buddy and I set for the trip.

We will be staying for a week, mostly because we haven't been to Seattle before.

HEAVYD hit me up with your contact info!! :)

I'm helping to run console tournament, and I've been an enforcer every year since PAX started, so feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I'll try to answer them.

Also, sign up for Soul Calibur IV on Friday!

[quote name='B:L']I'm helping to run console tournament, and I've been an enforcer every year since PAX started, so feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I'll try to answer them.

Also, sign up for Soul Calibur IV on Friday![/QUOTE]

What systems are the fighting game tournaments (SC IV and SF IV specifically) on?

Is it bring your own stick or will sticks be at the show?

For the open console play, I'm assuming TV's are provided, but it would be bring your own console, right?

[quote name='MSUHitman']What systems are the fighting game tournaments (SC IV and SF IV specifically) on?

Is it bring your own stick or will sticks be at the show?

For the open console play, I'm assuming TV's are provided, but it would be bring your own console, right?[/QUOTE]

The fighting games will be on the Xbox 360. Standard 360 wired controllers will be provided, but I highly advise that you bring your own stick, since sticks and convertors will not be provided.

For open console play, TVs are provided but you must reserve a spot with the staff at the console freeplay area. If you bring your own console, that is fine, but please check it in with the staff first at the checkout desk.

There will also be contests and challenges in the console freeplay rooms, but I don't know the details yet. All I know is that it'll involve prizes. :bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Me, my friend, and his dad will be driving from Vancouver to Seattle on Thursday. We're staying at the Red Lion Hotel, which is like a block away from the convention centre. I can't wait to see the Brodeo Reunion!

[quote name='B:L']The fighting games will be on the Xbox 360. Standard 360 wired controllers will be provided, but I highly advise that you bring your own stick, since sticks and convertors will not be provided.

For open console play, TVs are provided but you must reserve a spot with the staff at the console freeplay area. If you bring your own console, that is fine, but please check it in with the staff first at the checkout desk.

There will also be contests and challenges in the console freeplay rooms, but I don't know the details yet. All I know is that it'll involve prizes. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Thanks and a couple of more questions:

So consoles will be provided so we don't have to bring our own? Also do we have to bring our own games or not?

And there's no PS3's at all in the console area? Who's bright idea was that?

Not meaning to be mean but it's so frustrating because all my fighting stuff is on PS3 because that's supposed to be the "main tourney" console on fighting games (see Evo) but I have more active friends on the 360 than the PS3 and now all the PAX stuff is on 360,

[quote name='MSUHitman']Thanks and a couple of more questions:

So consoles will be provided so we don't have to bring our own? Also do we have to bring our own games or not?

And there's no PS3's at all in the console area? Who's bright idea was that?

Not meaning to be mean but it's so frustrating because all my fighting stuff is on PS3 because that's supposed to be the "main tourney" console on fighting games (see Evo) but I have more active friends on the 360 than the PS3 and now all the PAX stuff is on 360,[/QUOTE]

Consoles can be provided and checked out. I believe this year they're dividing things into two sections; regular console freeplay for next gen system and classic console freeplay with NES and older systems available.

Console Freeplay and Console Tournament will be separate areas.

Console tournament will not be using PS3s due to technical issues. The rules and tournament schedule are located here:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=96888

PAX is a bit more mainstream oriented than EVO, so there's reason to host it on the 360. It will avoid the major technical issues that EVO had, mainly controller synching and the "You Have Not Earned a Trophy" notification which blocks the life bar and lags button inputs. There will be plenty of like-minded gamers there, so it's possible to borrow a stick from them, or even from me if I'm not currently playing or waiting to play.

So apparently Seattle Gameworks has Tekken 6, Blazblue, TvC, and SFIV.

If I end up going with one of my friends, anyone down for CAG meetup/hang out at Gameworks for some FG's?

[quote name='xeno']FYE there are less then 1,500 passes left.[/QUOTE]

Looks like the cutoff time to get Passes in the mail is August 15th (Saturday)

So does that mean I have all of the 15th to get them?

[quote name='asianxcore']Looks like the cutoff time to get Passes in the mail is August 15th (Saturday)

So does that mean I have all of the 15th to get them?[/QUOTE]

It does if you want them mailed to you. But because I live in Canada they don't ship there (who does these days?) so we just have to go down to the convention centre thursday night and pick them up at will call.

[quote name='DunckTheFunk']It does if you want them mailed to you. But because I live in Canada they don't ship there (who does these days?) so we just have to go down to the convention centre thursday night and pick them up at will call.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up.

My buddy and I ordered our passes today around 11am PST. Hopefully that'll mean we'll get our passes mailed to us. If not, I guess we can always print out the tickets for backup?

[quote name='B:L']Consoles can be provided and checked out. I believe this year they're dividing things into two sections; regular console freeplay for next gen system and classic console freeplay with NES and older systems available.

Console Freeplay and Console Tournament will be separate areas.

Console tournament will not be using PS3s due to technical issues. The rules and tournament schedule are located here:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=96888

PAX is a bit more mainstream oriented than EVO, so there's reason to host it on the 360. It will avoid the major technical issues that EVO had, mainly controller synching and the "You Have Not Earned a Trophy" notification which blocks the life bar and lags button inputs. There will be plenty of like-minded gamers there, so it's possible to borrow a stick from them, or even from me if I'm not currently playing or waiting to play.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I keep asking questions but the Penny Arcade forums are down.

Do you have to provide your own games? Or will there be a small selection of certain ones?

What is the checkout process? Do you have to leave your Driver's License/CC at the station or is there a hold put on your cc?

Huh I didn't hear about any problems at Evo. You mean to tell me I'm screwed now and everything fighting wise is going to be on 360 from now on? I can't afford to have everything for both systems and I need to know what system to own this type of games on.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Sorry I keep asking questions but the Penny Arcade forums are down.

Do you have to provide your own games? Or will there be a small selection of certain ones?

What is the checkout process? Do you have to leave your Driver's License/CC at the station or is there a hold put on your cc?

Huh I didn't hear about any problems at Evo. You mean to tell me I'm screwed now and everything fighting wise is going to be on 360 from now on? I can't afford to have everything for both systems and I need to know what system to own this type of games on.[/QUOTE]

Oh, don't worry about asking questions. That's what I'm here for. ;)

From what I recall last year, reserving a TV spot was done via a ticketing system, like at the DMV or a supermarket. I'm not exactly what occurs at checkout, but I would think that they will note down your ID.

There will be a library of games available, donations by enforcers and attendees alike. The selection is usually good, they have newer gen stuff (PS2/GC/XBox and onwards) ranging from Halo to Katamari. But if you want to play a certain game, it's usually a good idea to bring your own copy.

As for the PS3 vs 360 fighting game argument, it's very likely that most major fighting game tournaments will remain on the PS3, just for the controller/joystick compatability alone. But that's just my estimates.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Some people in seattle have already been getting their passes in the mail! It's getting close![/QUOTE]

mine should be here on Monday :bouncy:( i live outside of seattle...) anyway are we going to do a CAG meetup?

I'm in on this! Damnit, I hope they mail out the passes I ordered since they were just before the deadline.

I'm up for a meet up at the Namco Bandai Area.

bread's done
Back