Ebay feedback woes - BUYERS not leaving feedback.. what to do....

the_grimace

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
ive been on ebay for about 5 years now, but havent sold much at all. I have 30 feedback (100%) but only 4 came from selling in the past. I usually used "better" sources such as amazon.

either way, ive been listing a lot on ebay lately to sell, and so far i have sold 5 items. These 5 items were all purchased earlier in the month, and based on the tracking numbers for them, they were all delivered at least 2 weeks ago, some a bit longer. Now, i left feedback for the buyer as soon as he paid, and i shipped the item, but here i am now, 2-3 weeks waiting, and still no feedback from all 5 of these guys....

if it was 1 guy, i would understand.... but all 5!? are people that forgetful? or lazy?

I feel like emailing this people, asking them if their item arrived and they were satisfied, and to leave feedback, but for some reason, it feels like im imposing a bit, THOUGH... i did leave THEM feedback...

what would you do? and has this happened to you before? This is the first time someone hasnt left me feedback, whether buying or selling, and the fact its all 5 people at once, has me a bit perturbed... Im positive the items got to their destinations...

your thoughts on what to do?

I haven't been left feedback several times, I say just ignore it and move on. I'd be too worried about pissing them off.

[quote name='distgfx']I haven't been left feedback several times, I say just ignore it and move on. I'd be too worried about pissing them off.[/QUOTE]

i kinda think feedback is pretty important, but oh well, what can you do...

[quote name='the_grimace']i kinda think feedback is pretty important, but oh well, what can you do...[/quote]

It is, that's why I wouldn't want to piss them off. :lol:

I've gotten to the point where I hold their feedback hostage. I wait until the buyer leaves me feedback before I do it for them.

[quote name='Chitown021']I've gotten to the point where I hold their feedback hostage. I wait until the buyer leaves me feedback before I do it for them.[/QUOTE]

ive considered doing that, but as a buyer, i always hate it when sellers do that... its like, my job is to pay... thats all. if i do that, i should get feedback. thats my view at least

[quote name='the_grimace']ive considered doing that, but as a buyer, i always hate it when sellers do that... its like, my job is to pay... thats all. if i do that, i should get feedback. thats my view at least[/quote]

Yeah it's sort of a catch 22. I don't like doing it to them but at the same time I'm tired of people being lazy and not leaving me feedback.

well. i ended up messaging the 3 people. 2 left feedback, with apologies, saying they forgot completely about it, since they deleted the items from their won box shortly after paying for them. Still have yet to hear from the 3rd guy...

but i think ill have to hold feedback hostage anymore. Seeing how they deleted the item from their won box, probably right after i left feedback, i might as well give them a reason to keep that item in their won box till they get it, are happy, and leave feedback. Then they can delete it.

i dont like it, but it seems to be the only option here

[quote name='Chitown021']I've gotten to the point where I hold their feedback hostage. I wait until the buyer leaves me feedback before I do it for them.[/QUOTE]

Same with me, the only problem was one idiot gave me a negative for not giving them feedback after 3 weeks (because I don't leave it until it is left for me). That really was an abuse of the feedback system, they got a negative back and that is the only time I ever gave a retailtory negative feedback. Then they said I was wrong to leave them negative feedback. Should have thought about that for leaving me a negative over that. Stuff ike that is why I wish sellers could still leave negatives for buyers.

[quote name='the_grimace']ive considered doing that, but as a buyer, i always hate it when sellers do that... its like, my job is to pay... thats all. if i do that, i should get feedback. thats my view at least[/QUOTE]

I don't leave feedback until it is left for me either. The transaction isn't complete after the buyer pays and there are so many possiblities of problems, them saying shipping is too slow, complaing about something stupid etc.

Sorry I'm kind of a newbie here. Don't mean to hijack but it could be related to why you're not getting feedback.

I bought something off of someone but when I tried to leave a feedback, it said I was restricted and it gave me a list of why it 'could' be.

I haven't done anything to get banned and my only thing is that I haven't been posting on the forums all that much. I registered past a month ago.. so what gives? I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

I've only started selling recently on EBay and I've only been left feedback about 50% of the time. It really sucks because I'm doing my best to build up a good rating and only half the people are leaving feedback. Very frustrating.

As a buyer I hardly ever leave feedback because I usually forget. I would be careful pushing because they might not have been impressed with the service/item and helped you by not providing feedback. This could tick them off, and here comes neg.

It's ok OP, I sold 20+ things last month and I still have 12 people that haven't left feedback. I would like to build my feedback but I could care less now. As long as the ones that left me feedback already are all good than I have no problems.

I contact the person about 2 or 3 times *one time a week* to make sure they got the game. this works 65 percent of the time for me.

I always wait until the buyer leaves feedback no matter what. The transaction isn't complete just because he or she paid for the item. The only way to know they are truly satisfied is if they leave positive feedback (which I ALWAYS return within a day or two). My score is about 110 or something and I've sold at least 150 things on eBay. So be it.

Maybe you could try waiting to deliver positive feedback to the buyer until after you know they received it. That could serve as a subtle reminder to them to leave you feedback, and wouldn't be as obnoxious as emailing them to do it. On their end, they can't really leave feedback until after they've seen the item, so the timing might work out better than leaving positives to buyers immediately.

[quote name='Josef']I've only started selling recently on EBay and I've only been left feedback about 50% of the time. It really sucks because I'm doing my best to build up a good rating and only half the people are leaving feedback. Very frustrating.[/QUOTE]

wait if your rating falls below a 4.1 then it really sucks cause you can not list anything

I always include DC with my shipping so I send them the DC # once I've sent it and a reminder/request to leave me feedback once they receive it. I also hold off on feedback until I've received it from the seller. If I don't have it after about a week I send a reminder message asking them to leave FB. I have 5-6 sales total that I've never gotten feedback for. If ebay genuinely wanted to make sure buyers were leaving feedback they would refund the seller half of the Final Value Fee and charge it to the buyer. That would change things around real quick. At the very least they should do it like Goozex and have the system give you automatic positive feedback after 3 weeks.

Like others have said, hold your feedback hostage. When I started out, I gave feedback the second people paid for the item. I've learned quickly. I've probably sold quite a few things, probably 5 - 10, that I got no feedback for, even though I left feedback for them. This has even happened on some things I have bought, probably more-so from purchased items, than from selling items.

What I do, is give them about two weeks after the purchase, if they still don't leave feedback, then I'll usually end leaving them positive feedback. The next day, usually, you'll see them return the favor. They seemingly just forget about it altogether, so giving them feedback after about two weeks, will make them notice and also give you feedback.

I don't like e-mailing people, since it feels too pushy, I know I don't appreciate getting tons of e-mails asking to give positive feedback, so I use that perspective when I also sell items.

Either way, this guy has no case.. don't bother with him, you can try and help him learn how to put in a memory card properly, but it really won't get you anywhere, he can't change his feedback now, or return his purchase; so no matter what, it's pretty useless.

Like you did, I left them a nice short message as a reminder to please leave me a feedback as a reciprocal favor since I left them a positive one so it's reasonable for me to get one in return. I know I feel a little frustrated when none of them replied back to my message or even bothered to leave a feedback. I, for one, left feedback on EVERY transaction as both buyer and seller. I think like 5 people didn't leave me any at all. =(

this is a bit late to this thread, but... I just started selling things my self and its kinda pathetic that they simply don't require buyers to leave feedback.

With out feedback your basically just using a service thats very similar to craigslist, in that you have no idea who or what your buying/selling to.

only in ebays case no feedback + charges for selling... asking my self lately why i am even using it. hard limitations for new sellers. this week alone i've sold 4 items now and not one of them have left me feed back at all. the screwed up thing to is i was told by ebay that i needed a good positive Feedback so i could get some more allowances to increase my sales and post more.

No feedback from any buyer though ... and i ship same day first class 2-5 day to us only. every package has arrived in 3 days time. and i even list the quality as lower then actual quality just in case.

I should easily be getting 4 5 star positives... so seriously WTF...

[quote name='greyzieoriental']It's ok OP, I sold 20+ things last month and I still have 12 people that haven't left feedback. I would like to build my feedback but I could care less now. As long as the ones that left me feedback already are all good than I have no problems.[/QUOTE]
This, except in the past 3 months I have sold about 200 items, getting around 37% feedback.

I frequently wait to leave feedback for several reasons. Often I wait a couple of weeks and leave all my buyer feedback at one time. The seller got my money I shouldn't have to log in 10 times and leave feedback for 10 $5 items just to suit the seller. I am a customer. I shop on the internet for ease and convenience not because it's my hobby or to help stroke the sellers ego. Ebay is a marketplace. Often these are the exact same sellers on Amazon, Best Buy or Newegg.
I have also waited to have the opportunity test whatever item I purchased. Car parts, computer parts are often waiting for me to have the opportunity to install them. Sometimes I am waiting for multiple items for arrive for the same job. DVDs Blu-Rays and video games are watched and played when convenient for me or whoever I bought them for.
Occasionally the seller screwed up. Maybe they were crooked, maybe they were unfortunate or lazy. I don't know. But I just let it slide. It isn't worth my time to try and get a refund. Pretend it never happened and don't leave feedback at all. Unless they are silly enough to nag me for feed back. Then I oblige. :)
In my opinion the Ebay feed back system is broken. It's all or nothing. If neutral feed back is negative feed back then what is the point of having 5 stars.
I really enjoy the people who say things like "If you have any issues please contact before leaving negative or neutral feed back." Then tell me when they sent the wrong item in the first place. "Just pay the return shipping and we will refund you." This is after I have spent an a chunk of my life taking photos writing elaborate emails explaining the problem. I think "Hey wait a minute I already know they are an idiot or a crook and they want me to pay to ship the item back." It occurs to me after writing a couple of emails with photos, repackaging the item, taking it to the post office, paying return postage. I just put a lot of effort and the cost of postage for the privilege of leaving them positive feed back.
I have sold in the past, my reward was MONEY. I understand feed back can help with that but a customer shouldn't be obligated to leave positive feedback. If all a seller wanted was honest feedback then maybe, but instead all that anyone want's is for me to spin the item into positive feedback and that isn't my job. Think about it, every time I go to Burger King I get a receipt that says if I call an 800 number to complete a survey I will get a FREE Whopper(tm) or Original Chicken Sandwich on my next visit. If I am too busy or lazy to give feed back for free food how likely am I to sign back into Ebay for the sellers gain.

I try to group my feedback every week, after I have had the time to check/test my item.

When it comes to selling, I've noticed a lot of new users who buy from me. I haven't had any problems with them but they often don't leave feedback until many weeks have passed. But overall, yeah, I receive feedback for roughly 1 out of every 3 auctions.

I just started selling stuff on eBay as well and I'm also not getting much in buyer feedback. Of the 12 items that have been delivered so far, I've received feedback on 2 of them. It is pretty annoying that people can't take 10 seconds to leave feedback.

bread's done
Back