Have you seen Watchmen? If so, help me out!*SPOILERS*

E

eastshore4

Okay, I have not seen Watchmen yet and won't really be able to see it for a couple of days... anways before I go I was looking to get a question answered. Alot of the reviews are talking about the EXTREME violence in the film... I remember the GN being fairly violent but the way everyone keeps stressing this has me wondering if it's been bulked up substantially. Can someone key me in on what makes the flick so violent? Thanks in advance.

I think people are saying it has "extreme violence" because of some of the things that The Comedy does in the movie, like beat the crap out of Silk Spector 1 and attempt to rape her. And he also hit that pregnant woman.

If they simply recreated the violence form the book, that would be pretty violent alone, i don't think they need to increase it any.

Some of the fight scenes were a little hard to watch. I don't think my wife saw most of the movie. Some of what was in the book just doesn't have the same "OMG" effect on paper as it does when it's shown on the big screen.

There were some pretty graphic scenes during the Silk Spectre / Night Owl street fight, as well as the updated "bone saw" scene.

[quote name='gameboykid14']I think people are saying it has "extreme violence" because of some of the things that The Comedy does in the movie, like beat the crap out of Silk Spector 1 and attempt to rape her. And he also hit that pregnant woman.[/quote]
Comedy doesn't kill. Comedians do.

Geez, imagine how they'd regard a movie adapted from Garth Ennis? I don't think he can write up a shopping list without somebody getting eviscerated.

Dr. Manhattan explodes lots of people pretty graphically, as mentioned earlier the Silk Spectre/ Nite Owl street fight is pretty rough, Rorshach's origin was pretty graphic too.

taken from mojimbo's link:
[quote name='kidsinmind']VIOLENCE/GORE 9 - In a war scene we see people with guns moving through a field: a man walks toward them, holds out his hand and emits some kind of energy wave that blows the people to bloody shrapnel (we see blood and tissue blow through the air). Men in a bar stand up and draw guns, another man enters the bar, holds out his hand and the men disintegrate (blood and matter sprays on women seated near the men and we see blood and some skeletal remains hanging from the ceiling).
► Several men follow a man and a woman into a dark alley, they fight, a man's arm is broken (we see the flesh break open and blood spurts), others are kicked and punched repeatedly (we see bloody faces), one man is kicked in the leg and his knee breaks when it is bent backwards, a man's neck is broken (we hear a crunch), and another man is stabbed in the neck (we hear a squish).
► A man finds articles of clothing of a kidnapped girl in a furnace, and then sees two dogs fighting over a bloody, severed leg with a child's shoe on the foot. A man breaks another man's hands and arms, another man using a saw cuts the man's arms off (we see blood spurt and we see tissue and bones) and the man collapses dead.
► A man strikes another man in the head repeatedly with a butcher knife (we see blood pour down the man's face and strands of blood stretch from the wound to the knife as it is swung into the air after each blow).
► A man enters a room where there is scientific equipment, he is accidentally locked into the room, the equipment begins to whirr and beams of energy flash, the man is struck by the beams, we see him disintegrate (first his skin is shed with blood and tissue fluttering through the air, we see his skeleton and then nothing remains).
► A man breaks into another man's apartment, the two men fight, one threatens the other with a gun, punches and kicks are exchanged (we see blood on one man's face), and one man holds the hand of the other man on a counter and brings a kitchen knife down on it (the man screams and we see blood and the blade cutting into his hand); then one man is thrown onto a glass table that shatters, and one man is thrown through a plate glass window and falls many stories to the ground (we see a pool of blood under his body and his leg is twisted). Two men fight in a prison cafeteria, one pours boiling oil over the head of the other, and he falls to his knees and we see his face melt and become malformed (we hear later that the man died from his injuries).
► We see a re-enactment of President Kennedy's assassination: we see a man struck by a bullet in the side of the head and part of his face is blown off, and blood and matter spray out and onto the back of the car he is riding in.
► A man with a saw threatens another man, who slams the man's head into a toilet, the toilet breaks, the man's head bleeds, water seeps onto the floor and a cut electrical wire touches the water electrocuting one man (we see him twitch briefly).
► A pregnant woman cuts a man's face using a broken bottle (we see the open, bloody wound), and the man shoots her (we see her lying dead on the floor and we are reminded that she is pregnant). Two young men tease a boy about his mother and make crude sexual remarks, the boy becomes enraged, strikes one young man with a hammer, and tackles the other and bites his face (we see the boy's bloody mouth, with skin in his teeth).
► A woman is shot through the leg (we see blood and matter as the bullet passes through her leg and out the back). A man is shot through the chest (we see blood). A man is shot and falls to the floor. A man is shot through the hand (we see blood). A man is shot several times (we see blood).
► A man squeezes another man's hand, breaking the glass he is holding, and squeezes a few more times causing the man to yell (we hear crunching with each squeeze). A man goes into a restroom where another man is, he leaves and we see blood flooding out from under the bathroom door. Two dead dogs with bloody wounds are thrown through windows into a cabin and land on a man that's inside.
► A man is blown to bloody bits by an energy blast and we see blood and matter soaking into snow-covered ground. A man and a creature that looks like a tiger are blown to bits by an energy beam (we see the separation of tissue, then skeletons, and then nothing). Many men are zapped with an energy beam that causes them to disintegrate. A nuclear explosion sends a shock wave over a man and a woman and they are blown to bits (we see their skin and muscle blown off their skeletons). During a prison riot a man is thrown over a balcony and another man is set on fire (he runs and screams while he is in flames). A man is shot with a flamethrower and we see him running while in flames.
► A woman undresses, unfastens her garter belt (we see her in a bustier that reveals cleavage), a man enters the room, she is upset, the man kisses her bare shoulder, she pushes him away, punches him in the face, and he punches her in the stomach, kicks her and punches her again (we see blood on her face); he then forces her to lean over a pool table and unfastens his pants preparing to rape her but is interrupted.
► A man and a woman fight many men during a prison riot, with many punches and kicks. Three men fight, one is thrown into a large stone block and falls to the floor, one man lunges toward another and crashes into a TV screen, and they punch and kick each other. A man shoves another man into a refrigerator, grabs his arm and twists (we hear bones cracking and the man makes a remark about breaking more fingers); he then slams the man into a wall.
► A man blows flames at several armed police officers, he punches several others, one officer who is in flames falls down a flight stairs and knocks another down with him, and the man is shot at as he runs and jumps through a window but continues fighting other officers on the street.
► We see what looks like a person seated or kneeling on the ground and in flames. A man bites a suicide pill, we see him foaming at the mouth and he dies.
► We see two dead women on a bed with blood soaked bedclothes. We see a dead man with a bloody bullet hole in his head. We see a dead man slumped against a wall with bloody bullet holes in his chest. We see two men dead and tied to a fire hydrant (there is blood on their faces). We see a dead dog with a very bloody head wound. We see many men lying dead on the floor after drinking poisoned drinks.
► People protest and riot in a street, we see a car in flames and a man pounding on it with a baseball bat, a flaming bottle is thrown at a flying vessel that hovers over the crowd, a man jumps down from the vessel punches a few people standing around him, and then opens fire on the crowd (we hear the gunshots and people screaming and see one man struck by what looks like an RPG; he is still moving after being struck). We see people trapped inside a burning building and pleading for help and an explosion from inside the building throws a woman out and she crashes into a flying vessel that's hovering outside.
► A glowing orb lowers into the center of a heavily populated city, it emits a blast of energy, we see people and objects being thrown into the air, buildings crumble and only smoldering rubble remains. An explosion blows flames on a crowd of people (we do not see the aftermath).
► A woman presses a button in a flying vessel and it blows flames out the front (we see her struggling to put the flames out). A woman is transported to Mars and she falls to her knees gasping for air (she's fine once she is placed in a shielded area with oxygen). A flying vessel nearly crashes into a wall of ice.
► Men in prison yell at and taunt a new prisoner and threaten to rape and hurt him. A man yells at a woman and makes a remark about another man having tried to rape her. A woman slaps her son, yells at him and tells him, "I should have had that abortion." A man confesses to having done "bad things to women and shooting kids." A man says he's dying from cancer. Military advisors talk about potential human losses from a nuclear attack. A man threatens another man and says, "I wanna tear this guy a new hole." A man talks about another man having been dropped down an elevator shaft.
► We see a man in a hospital bed suffering from cancer and he takes his last breath. We see people gathered at a graveside funeral, a covered casket and a hole in the ground.
► A woman vomits (we hear her gagging and see her leaning over a toilet). A man cries and we see mucus dripping from his nose. A woman removes a wig to show that she is losing her hair from cancer or cancer treatments.[/quote]

As said above, violence isn't anything that has been seen but the whole blue penis thing and other frontal nudity turned me off from it. Imagine people who saw it in IMAX...scarred for life!

Yeah Its pretty violent, but really...I didnt even think about it much. I was just like "ah jeez" but not like "dude, im going to throw up, that was GROSS!" Also, yeah...the blue penis thing was weird. The weirdest thing about it, is that sometimes he wore pants and sometimes not. That annoyed me because it makes it inconsistent. Why be naked? Dont get it. Anyways, I cant decide if this movie was freaking AMAZING or horrible? Maybe the answer is a little bit of both? Pacing...meh...character development...a bit off. I dont know, I havent read the graphic novel and knew nothing about Watchmen before going in. Im really kind of baffled by it though, right now Im leaning towards "dude, that was actually cool" but right after the movie I was like "That was so terrible." Who knows? Who knooooooows.....

[quote name='optimusprime8062']The weirdest thing about it, is that sometimes he wore pants and sometimes not. That annoyed me because it makes it inconsistent. Why be naked? Dont get it.[/quote]

That's explained more in the book. A lot of things in the movie that needed to be explained weren't.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']That's explained more in the book. A lot of things in the movie that needed to be explained weren't.[/QUOTE]What was the explanation in the book?

Well, he's basically moved so far beyond humans, society, etc, that he doesn't need them. Clothes are a petty human thing. He's basically God. If God doesn't want to wear clothes, God doesn't have to wear clothes...

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']That's explained more in the book. A lot of things in the movie that needed to be explained weren't.[/QUOTE]

Just got back and truer words have never been spoken. I read the graphic novel so no big deal for me but damn did they leave a lot of stuff in without explaining squat. Like the electric car that comes out of nowhere at the end. My friend didn't read it and still enjoyed the film but eh I could tell he didn't get a lot of references . As for the violence, only scene that stood out was the saw. Everything else didn't seem that much worse then normal and fit the movie.

[quote name='epobirs']Geez, imagine how they'd regard a movie adapted from Garth Ennis? I don't think he can write up a shopping list without somebody getting eviscerated.[/quote]

Maybe Preacher will get made one day, that could be interesting :twoguns:

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Well, he's basically moved so far beyond humans, society, etc, that he doesn't need them. Clothes are a petty human thing. He's basically God. If God doesn't want to wear clothes, God doesn't have to wear clothes...[/quote]

So he was only wearing pants in the flashback scenes?

[quote name='optimusprime8062']So he was only wearing pants in the flashback scenes?[/quote]

He only wears pants for his interview, I believe.

What about the electric car at the end? explain :) also about the pants, no pants, maybe he ripped off his pants when he grew really big, as his pants wouldn't grow in size with him, so every time he grew big and back to normal, he would have to put on pants again, why bother, just keep them off? :p

[quote name='coolsteel']Just got back and truer words have never been spoken. I read the graphic novel so no big deal for me but damn did they leave a lot of stuff in without explaining squat. Like the electric car that comes out of nowhere at the end. My friend didn't read it and still enjoyed the film but eh I could tell he didn't get a lot of references . As for the violence, only scene that stood out was the saw. Everything else didn't seem that much worse then normal and fit the movie.[/quote]

Talking about the one coolsteel was referencing, he appears to know what the electric care reference at the end was about, but didn't say what :p "they leave a lot of stuff in without explaining squat. Like the electric car that comes out of nowhere at the end."

[quote name='coolsteel']Just got back and truer words have never been spoken. I read the graphic novel so no big deal for me but damn did they leave a lot of stuff in without explaining squat. Like the electric car that comes out of nowhere at the end. My friend didn't read it and still enjoyed the film but eh I could tell he didn't get a lot of references . As for the violence, only scene that stood out was the saw. Everything else didn't seem that much worse then normal and fit the movie.[/quote]

This. There were quite a few scenes where unless you read the graphic novel you would be lost.

As for the violence, the scenes that really stood out were the saw scene, and the cleaver scene.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Also, without the original ending, Bubastis was pointless.[/quote]

Yeah, did they even mention the name Bubastis in it?

[quote name='darthbudge']Yeah, did they even mention the name Bubastis in it?[/quote]

Nope. Ozymandias' said "Forgive me girl" as opposed to the original line.

They should have removed Bubastis entirely, because she was just the result of
a genetic experiment to test the technology for the giant squid-alien thing, which was, obviously, not the theatrical ending.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Nope. Ozymandias' said "Forgive me girl" as opposed to the original line.

They should have removed Bubastis entirely, because she was just the result of
a genetic experiment to test the technology for the giant squid-alien thing, which was, obviously, not the theatrical ending.
[/quote]
The genetic engineering was also hinted at when he was first introduced during his interview and brought up as one of the many things he dabbled in.

Though
they've teased or hinted at for the directors cut that the squid is in it. I'll believe it when I see it though.

If you notice, Dr. Manhattan wears fewer and fewer clothes as the movie progress'. It's because he is drifting further and further away from reality.

People are insanely critical of this movie. I don't know if I am biased or what - after watching the movie we had a Q&A with Zack Snyder and some people from the art team. And I am really happy Zack got a hold of this...

...You guys should have heard what the script was like before Zack got a hold of it. They wanted it to be set in modern day - and have it be about the War on Terror, (with Dr Manhattan going to Iraq) it was suppose to be around an hour. Hour thirty minutes. And they wanted to get rid of the "boring book sequences" like - interrogation with Rorschach, Comedians funeral, Manhattan on mars. (With all flash back sequences gone as well).

The movie also ended with Veidt giving away all his secrets and than him saying, "Dan, why do you enjoy Owls so much?" and Dan says, "Well, my favorite part about owls is that - you can never hear them coming!" and right when he says this Archie busts through the wall pinning Veidt against the wall, splitting him in half.

The man saved this movie... Of course you wont be able to fit ever subtle nuance of the story with each intricate detail of the very fabric of each characters life in the 2hr 45min (that's the max he could get the movie) but he still managed to fit an alarmingly huge amount of stuff within the time limit.

I absolutely loved it. Oh well, I also insanely loved 300 as well. (Oh and Cloverfield) Sorry I don't only like Slumdog and There Will Be Blood.
[quote name='bardockkun']The genetic engineering was also hinted at when he was first introduced during his interview and brought up as one of the many things he dabbled in.

Though
they've teased or hinted at for the directors cut that the squid is in it. I'll believe it when I see it though.
[/quote]

About the extended edition;
he said there will be and it's about 3 and a half hours. And includes the black freighter and also an extended Rorscach interrogation and a bunch of other things.

I'll be critical though - cause I don't think the movie was PERFECT and there is one thing I thought really took away from the movie:
Veidt in the movie acted way to much like a villain. When I read it, I always thought of Veidt as this charming, rich, strong man (Basically a Bruce Wayne). And when you find out Veidt was behind all of this you were totally stunned cause he would never do such a thing! But the way the actor performed made it seem from the start he was up to no good. Some others that saw it with me that never read the novel knew that Veidt was responsible at the very begining. Bummer
But, Night Owl, Manhattan and Rorscach made up for his short comings, by being spot on.

I think people wanted Watchmen to be like this: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/485797

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkNessBear']
About the extended edition;
he said there will be and it's about 3 and a half hours. And includes the black freighter and also an extended Rorscach interrogation and a bunch of other things.
.[/quote]
About 20-25 minutes of the Black Freighter I believe. So not the full DVD that's coming out this month, but enough to get gist of it is what should be in the extended cut.

I Saw it midnight last night at IMax and loved it. I Think in terms of a Watchmen movie you can't do any better then this. Also have to give Snyder props for basically adapting it almost panel by panel. Biggest complaints I had were the make up though. Nixon's nose was waaaaaay too cartoony and the original Silk Spectre's wrinkle make up was terrible (eyes and mouth, but smooth cheeks). That and the Rorschach child kidnapper story with it being ruined because of the Saw movies. While the epilogue felt a bit too upbeat after the events that just took place, but whatever, still loved it and amazed a piece of Alan Moore work was done right...And Watchmen no less.

I never read the comic but I thought the movie was cool. I'm going to have to check out the book now. What was that story that Rorschach said about someone being depressed, goes to a therapist, the guy tells him to go to a show, but he responds "but I am him!!". I've heard that story before. Does anyone know the exact words to it? [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Dr. Manhattan's big blue schlong is extremely violent too. Ugh.[/quote]

It'll be interesting to see how they get around that when Watchmen debuts on network TV in a few years. lol

I was surprised to see so many kids with their parents when i saw it. I have a feeling those were some surprised parents. I agree with other reviews that said some of the music felt out of place. The scene with nightowl and silk spectre in archie felt sort of gratuitous. I'm surprised those two could keep their hands off each other long enough to finish the story.

Manhattan had a black speedo on in some of the movie scenes. He wasn't completely naked the whole time (Although I think the interview and funeral were the only two times he had actual pants on).

I absolutely loved it. Considering there's no way you could fit everything from the book into a movie perfectly, I think they did a fantastic job.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Well, he's basically moved so far beyond humans, society, etc, that he doesn't need them. Clothes are a petty human thing. He's basically God. If God doesn't want to wear clothes, God doesn't have to wear clothes...[/QUOTE]

I haven't read the book (yet...ordered it from Amazon last night after getting back from the movie) but I picked up on this. I actually never felt lost from not having read the book, tho I'm sure there were probably little details I will get after reading it.

Wa sit just me, or did anyone else think that Dan looked like Jason Lee? Adrian kind of looked like Seth Green.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Dr. Manhattan's big blue schlong is extremely violent too. Ugh.[/quote]

How do you think New York gets destroyed at the end of the film?

[quote name='JolietJake']Wa sit just me, or did anyone else think that Dan looked like Jason Lee?[/quote]

I actually thought he looked like a younger Chevy Chase. Sorta. This is a bad picture. You can see it better when you watch the movie.

Watchmen2-11.JPG

And yeah, the music was terribly out of place. "The Sound of Silence" was kinda cool, but "99 Red Balloons"? WTF? I understand it was set in the 80's, but come on.

I did like how an elevator-style version of "Everybody wants to rule the world" by Tears for Fears was playing in Ozymandia's penthouse, though

[quote name='Scorch']I actually thought he looked like a younger Chevy Chase. Sorta. This is a bad picture. You can see it better when you watch the movie.

Watchmen2-11.JPG
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I told my wife while we were watching the movie. He even *sounds* like a young Chevy Chase.

[quote name='Scorch']And yeah, the music was terribly out of place. "The Sound of Silence" was kinda cool, but "99 Red Balloons"? WTF? I understand it was set in the 80's, but come on.[/QUOTE]
99 Luftballons definitely applies to Watchmen.

bread's done
Back