HDMI VS Component Cable on 360

leung19

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hey i'm currenly using component cable to hook up with my HD TV, how much better with the HDMI cable?
Should i upgrade to HDMI cable?

i feel like i'm wasting my TV since i have ps2, and non-HD cable tv signal plus reg-dvd player.

Well, you are wasting your TV. Why get a HDTV if you don't hook anything up to it that can support HD images.

Get a HD cable box and a nice PS3 for Blu-Ray. Hook up your X360 via HDMI if possible.

[quote name='tholly']Well, you are wasting your TV. Why get a HDTV if you don't hook anything up to it that can support HD images.

Get a HD cable box and a nice PS3 for Blu-Ray. Hook up your X360 via HDMI if possible.[/quote]

how much the picture is better with HDMI?

if you buy any new tv, they are all HD.
plus i only paying $18 per month for reg cable and internet.

I recently made the component ---> HDMI switch by selling my old 360 and getting a new, HDMI-enabled one. The difference isn't very noticable on my 42" Plasma. It was mainly a matter of convenience. I wanted to use up both my HDMI ports in order to free up space for my PS2 and Wii to be hooked up with component cables. If you aren't running out of space for inputs, I wouldn't worry about it.

All that being said, if you already have an HDMI enabled 360, you might as well buy a cheapass HDMI cable and hook it up that way.

I don't think its that much better, but if your mind you'll be like "I have my 360 hooked up and i'm receiving the best possible image quality I can". I'm connected via component and it look great but in my back of my mind i'm always like hdmi is one higher.

[quote name='leung19']how much the picture is better with HDMI?

if you buy any new tv, they are all HD.
plus i only paying $18 per month for reg cable and internet.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a HDMI equipped 360 (I have a launch unit.) But, I am everything else hooked up HDMI that can be (HD Cable, PS3, HD-DVD) and, I have to say, the difference is night and day. On my 56" Samsung, HD via HDMI looks absolutely amazing. I don't know how I ever lived without HD.

[quote name='leung19']
plus i only paying $18 per month for reg cable and internet.[/quote]

So... internet, actually no reg cable and illegal d/l shows?

I wouldn't say the difference is night and day. HDMI & component both support 1080p, just one is a digital connection(which also carries audio) the other is analog. component might be more susceptible to interference but its probably not an issue in your stepup.

That being said. Rocko posted the >$5 hdmi cable. No reason not to have a digital connection between your tv and xbox. Its not like your breaking bank to get the cable...you might see a difference..you might not; but you know you wont ever have interference/signal degradation at the cost of a lunch.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Is there a big difference between a D-sub cable to the other two? It's what I'm on now. No hdmi 360.[/quote]

Wtf is a D-sub cable?

EDIT: Looked it up, basically just a VGA cable. VGA looks better than Component IMO and is just a little worse than HDMI.

You really should see no difference, all three(VGA, HDMI, component) support 1080P. The difference should only be noticeable with either A. really long cables or B. really big TVs.

Digital VS Analog is just marketing really, especially in this case. Unless your 360 is 500ft away or your TV is over 100", I doubt you will any difference.

The whole concept is similar to people buying $100 HDMI cables for a better picture. A $5 cable will do the same job, without any noticeable degradation.

The only benefit with HDMI is less cables, as sound is also carried. The cables are also nice and small.

[quote name='Photomotoz']You really should see no difference, all three(VGA, HDMI, component) support 1080P. The difference should only be noticeable with either A. really long cables or B. really big TVs.

Digital VS Analog is just marketing really, especially in this case. Unless your 360 is 500ft away or your TV is over 100", I doubt you will any difference.
[/quote]
Yes, though for long cable runs you're actually better off with component. Most HDMI cables begin to peter out beyond 50'

But hey, it does reduce cable clutter, and since you're not doing any harm, may as well go HDMI.

[quote name='tholly']Well, you are wasting your TV. Why get a HDTV if you don't hook anything up to it that can support HD images.

Get a HD cable box and a nice PS3 for Blu-Ray. Hook up your X360 via HDMI if possible.[/QUOTE]I agree, get a Blu-ray player of some sort it doesn't have to be a PS3, and then hook your 360 up to HDMI you wont regret it.

Had some audio issues with 360 HDMI, some kind of echoing and distortion. Switched back to 1080p over component and it was fine.

Theres no difference in picture quality, the biggest advantage is replacing 5 cables with one. If you've got the HD-DVD player, it'll output 1080p over HDMI and only 1080i over component.

Component works fine for me. I have all my devices (ps3, 360, GC, xbox with xbmc, HD-DVD player, and a upscaling DVD player) going to a pelican system selector pro, so I only have one component cable going to the TV. I could go HDMI for a few devices, but I don't think I'm going to see that great of an improvement and I'm feeling cheap.

I think one of the reasons to go with HDMI is to get a 1080P signal. For some reason, the movie industry didn't want us to have a 1080P signal over component on our DVD or Blu-ray/HD-DVD players. That's why I was happy to find that my DVD player was hackable and I could remove that DRM. I hate having my devices limited for no good reason.

I couldn't get Rock Band to properly synchronize when using HDMI with my 360 (because there's some lag when my TV downsamples the audio before outputting it to my receiver), and I filled all three HDMI ports with other devices anyway, so I use component to connect my 360. I didn't notice a difference when switching from HDMI to component.

[quote name='VipFREAK']There's lag in HDMI?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I have a 37" 720p LCD, and it has HDMI and component. When I play Rock Band over HDMI, I have to calibrate, as there's like a 45ms video lag. But when I play over component, I get the exact same picture, but no lag. And if you've ever played Rock Band with a lag, you know it's kind of annoying. :lol:

[quote name='naiku']I wouldn't say the difference is night and day. HDMI & component both support 1080p, just one is a digital connection(which also carries audio) the other is analog. component might be more susceptible to interference but its probably not an issue in your stepup.

That being said. Rocko posted the >$5 hdmi cable. No reason not to have a digital connection between your tv and xbox. Its not like your breaking bank to get the cable...you might see a difference..you might not; but you know you wont ever have interference/signal degradation at the cost of a lunch.[/QUOTE]

From what I recall, you can't get 1080p from a component cable on the Xbox 360.

[quote name='Xploited']From what I recall, you can't get 1080p from a component cable on the Xbox 360.[/quote]
Yes you can. It's been said many times already.

[quote name='Allnatural']Yes you can. It's been said many times already.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, interesting. My Toshiba 46XV540U won't display Xbox 360 in 1080p with component. Only HDMI.

[quote name='Allnatural']Yes you can. It's been said many times already.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, it depends on your T.V. Some T.Vs do not display 1080P over component. Miine does not and I have a fairly new 60" Sony Grand Wega. The size probably makes a difference on how well you can tell component vs HDMI. I ran component on my 360 for about two years and then switched to HDMI and I could tell it was sharper and colors were more crisp.

VGA, component, and hdmi all display 1080p. The quality really depends on your tv. Some tvs handle 1080p component very well, some don't do it very well, and some don't display it at all. If you're tv doesn't handle 1080p component well,, then hdmi might be better for you. Also hd-dvds can only be displayed in 1080i with component cables. 1080i, and 1080p have no picture quality differences with a tv with a good deinterlacer. Your 1080p set will deinterlace it so that it can be displayed in it's native resolution.

just want to vouch for what's been said above me. 1080p over component works, it's just that many advertised "Full HD" televisions will only accept it over HDMI. Check your TV's specs to see which resolutions are supported over its different inputs (a site like Cnet might list this sort of thing if you can't find it in the manual).

There IS the DVD upconverting issue though, as others have said. Do you know if your TV takes 1080p over VGA/d-sub? If so, you might want to consider a VGA cable for your 360. It's cheap on monoprice.com, you'll be able to upconvert DVDs if you watch them on your 360, and it's a much easier option than buying a new console.

Oh and apparently they DO sell a HDMI adapter for pre-Elite 360's, but everything I've seen indicates that they are way more trouble then they are worth.

I have an elite, but I prefer to use the vga cable since for my set the hdmi crushes blacks, and has zero shadow detail only when using the xbox and game mode on the tv. With game-mode off, hdmi looks fine but I prefer to have game-mode on to turn off the processing to decrease lag.

I don't reccommend this for everyone since this works best with my setup. HDMI or component MAY work better with yours.

Get a HD cable box and a nice PS3 for Blu-Ray. Hook up your X360 via HDMI if possible.[/QUOTE]

Component is completely capable of outputting a high definition resolution, just not true 1080p.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Not necessarily, it depends on your T.V. Some T.Vs do not display 1080P over component.[/quote]
Exactly. Good luck finding a newer TV that's capable of showing 1080p via a component cable.

Personally, I'd go with HDMI. Movies don't upconvert if you use a component cable; they do if you use a HDMI cable.

[quote name='eddie291']Exactly. Good luck finding a newer TV that's capable of showing 1080p via a component cable.

Personally, I'd go with HDMI. Movies don't upconvert if you use a component cable; they do if you use a HDMI cable.[/quote]

Most of the higher quality tvs do 1080p over component. It's not uncommon. If you have a decent set with a decent scaler, then the tv will upscale the image. Either way, you NEVER want your xbox to upconvert a dvd anyways, as it is simply the worst upconverting dvd player on the planet.

[quote name='ninjaspeedrazor']Component is completely capable of outputting a high definition resolution, just not true 1080p.[/quote]

That is false information.

Anybody here using the Netflix online service on the 360 and also using component inputs and able to receive 1080p or do you need hdmi for that?

[quote name='ncibob']Anybody here using the Netflix online service on the 360 and also using component inputs and able to receive 1080p or do you need hdmi for that?[/quote]

I would imagine that it would be in 1080i for movies... 1080i is just as good though.

bread's done
Back