Scammed by mackdaddy226

Status
Not open for further replies.

zepheron

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
This user was to trade me his $60 concealed cash and Lost Odyssey for my GTA4, Guitar Hero 3, and Madden 09.

First we were to ship at the same time. We both agreed on March 5th as the date to ship. I shipped mine, and came back online, sent him a PM with the DC#: 0308 0730 0001 0272 9154 and as you can see it was delivered on the 9th. It was then he replied stating that he would deliver as soon as he received.. which I thought was odd and questioned him a few times about, but I ended up paying no mind to it.

After I saw he received, I sent him another PM asking when I could expect MY package, to which he said he would ship out Wednesday or Thursday (the 11th or 12th). Today, I have sent another PM.. to which he replied, simply: I scammed you.

I have copies of all our PM exchanges, his (supposed) name, address, receipts from the post office (I believe), and that DC#. What can I do?

Known victims and losses
zepheron - GTA IV, Madden 09, Guitar Hero 3
DaChicagoBear1 - Command and Conquer 3, The Outfit, 20 GB HDD
howlinmad - Ninja Gaiden II sealed
armageddon - GTA IV

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW.
That sucks majorly. You lost some good games. The mods should be here soon to clear this up, but to expedite the process, you may want to PM a mod.

[quote name='mtxbass1']0 trades, no avatar, no contact info, and only 32 posts didn't throw up some kind of red flag to you?[/quote]

Way to sound like a jackass. The guy gets scammed and you have to jump the gun and assume he's an idiot? That's really helpful there... jackass.

To the OP:

Contact a mod ASAP. Shrike or Pookie should be able to get involved. Sorry to hear that happened to you, don't let it discourage you from trading.

Zepheron, sorry to hear that man. Give me your paypal account email, ill send over a few bucks. I love CAG, and i hope the day never comes where i get scammed.

[quote name='tacgnol']Way to sound like a jackass. The guy gets scammed and you have to jump the gun and assume he's an idiot? That's really helpful there...

[/quote]

:roll:

If you do a search for the guy he mentioned, it shows no trade feedback. Apparently the itrader system and what shows up here are two different things.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=155594

Either way, there is nothing he can do about this except contact Shrike or another mod.

[quote name='mtxbass1']:roll:

If you do a search for the guy he mentioned, it shows no trade feedback. Apparently the itrader system and what shows up here are two different things.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=155594

Either way, there is nothing he can do about this except contact Shrike or another mod.[/quote]

Regardless that's a cruel attitude to take on someone who is reaching out for help who is probably upset. We're a community after all, and that didn't come off as very helpful.

Thanks for the support, CAGs. I've PMed both Shrike and Pooky, hopefully this will be resolved soon. Thanks for the offer, d3solut3.. I'd really like to take you up on that but I dunno, haha. I don't want to look for handouts or anything, I want this dealt with, though.

If he literally told you he scammed you, could you take any legal action? If you have a chain of all PM's sent and he's admitting that he scammed you it seems like you might have a leg to stand on. Contacting the police over the phone and explaining things to them might get you somewhere.

[quote name='MikeBastard']If he literally told you he scammed you, could you take any legal action? If you have a chain of all PM's sent and he's admitting that he scammed you it seems like you might have a leg to stand on. Contacting the police over the phone and explaining things to them might get you somewhere.[/quote]Scamming someone across state lines is mail fraud, if done through the US mail. And since it's the US mail, it's a felony.

[quote name='d3solut3']Zepheron, sorry to hear that man. Give me your paypal account email, ill send over a few bucks. I love CAG, and i hope the day never comes where i get scammed.[/quote]
Wow...I swear, this community is the most helpful.
:grouphug:

I found out where he's at, and I PM'd the OP the phone # to the local police department that would cover that zip code from the PM'd address.

It may be hard to prove criminal as it may be viewed as breach of a civil contract, however you can go to small claims court for a civil action. It is possible for criminal, but in my opinion unlikely. If you go for this through civil court, it actually isn't that difficult to do. The court where the victim files/lives is where the civil action is taken. That may not be worth it to you, but I would do it for just the fact that someone burned me.

Due to this going through the mail you can contact the Postmaster's Office.

[quote name='DaChicagoBear1']will i be helped too...?[/quote]

Just PM shrike the info, he's quick and on top of things. Sorry to hear this happened to you, too

Sad to hear ANOTHER scam happened. I thank God everyday that I have some feedback under my belt so that this hopefully won't happen, but to be honest, there've been those with decent feedback numbers now known as scammers. Hopefully this all gets resolved. If I had more of the guy's information, I might be able to find some more out on him if this of any help to you guys. Although the fact that he is local to shrike may already be enough. Good luck solving this one guys. Good luck OP! I feel for you budd.

The quickest way it will get solved for any of the victims is to PM a mod immediately and send all/any information you have to them. Perhaps if both victims contact the same PD about the incidents they may have more of an incling to act on it...?

[quote name='Placebo']The quickest way it will get solved for any of the victims is to PM a mod immediately and send all/any information you have to them. Perhaps if both victims contact the same PD about the incidents they may have more of an incling to act on it...?[/quote]

That's an awesome idea actually. If two people are contacting the police about the same person acting in felony mail fraud I guarantee they'd at least pay this person a visit and gather relevant evidence.

[quote name='DaChicagoBear1']so what will happen ? do we get our stuff back?[/quote]

If you've been scammed, no. When you agree to trade CAG is not held liable for any lost or stolen items.

[quote name='Placebo']The quickest way it will get solved for any of the victims is to PM a mod immediately and send all/any information you have to them. Perhaps if both victims contact the same PD about the incidents they may have more of an incling to act on it...?[/quote]One complaint to a police department is one person calling. Two or more people calling about an issue like that, that's something they need to look at.

[quote name='MikeBastard']That's an awesome idea actually. If two people are contacting the police about the same person acting in felony mail fraud I guarantee they'd at least pay this person a visit and gather relevant evidence.[/quote]As long as there's mail fraud paperwork filed about it, plus IC3.gov complaints, and contacting the local police about the issue, that usually gets the attention of the right people.

Especially if you tell the police you're working with the USPS because it's across state lines through the mail. The FBI can get involved with interstate crimes like this.

[quote name='DaChicagoBear1']so what will happen ? do we get our stuff back?[/quote]You need to file a complaint with your local post office for mail fraud, for starters.

You also should go to the IC3.gov link above and fill out a complaint.

Contacting the local police department is highly recommended as well, to get them involved.

The mods and staff of CAG aren't law enforcement. All we can do is boot the offending party off of CAG and give advice on who to turn to in law enforcement and the USPS on dealing with this issue. We can't do anything along the lines of police activity.

[quote name='shrike4242']One complaint to a police department is one person calling. Two or more people calling about an issue like that, that's something they need to look at.

As long as there's mail fraud paperwork filed about it, plus IC3.gov complaints, and contacting the local police about the issue, that usually gets the attention of the right people.

Especially if you tell the police you're working with the USPS because it's across state lines through the mail. The FBI can get involved with interstate crimes like this.

You need to file a complaint with your local post office for mail fraud, for starters.

You also should go to the IC3.gov link above and fill out a complaint.

Contacting the local police department is highly recommended as well, to get them involved.

The mods and staff of CAG aren't law enforcement. All we can do is boot the offending party off of CAG and give advice on who to turn to in law enforcement and the USPS on dealing with this issue. We can't do anything along the lines of police activity.[/quote]
Quoted for emphasis.

ALL victims involved should read that post.

Hope things work out for you op. This guy pm'd me asking me to trade my Fallout 3 and said he wanted both of us to ship it right away. Thank you for exposing him, he might have tried to scam even more people!

[quote name='sarge1991']Hope things work out for you op. This guy pm'd me asking me to trade my Fallout 3 and said he wanted both of us to ship it right away. Thank you for exposing him, he might have tried to scam even more people![/quote]

If you want to help out, maybe you could call the police in his local area as well. Although he didn't wrong you, it sounds like he had something fishy in mind.

Thanks a lot everyone, and Shrike especially for providing information fast. I've contacted the police department in his area, they are going to get back with me on Monday.

Others involved, and DaChicagoBear 1: I highly recommend you call them as well and file a complaint. Perhaps this will get dealt with, as other people have stated.

I'm also about to finish filling out my complaint at ic3.

Good to hear that things went well with the local police, zepheron. I'm guessing that was the right phone # I PM'd you?

Hopefully, they'll go pay him a visit about the complaint over the weekend and get back to you on Monday.

I think with the IC3.gov complaint, the USPS mail fraud complaint and the local police contact, that should get things moving to try and get your stuff back.

DaChicagoBear 1 also needs to do the steps outlined above, as this gives weight to the situation with two complaints instead of one.

Sad that this seems to happen every 3-4 months. Sorry guys. I know it sucks. There are some really good people here and most deals go through with no problems. The best advice I can give is

if its to good to be true...it is

Hope this dosn't turn out like the drunkpollock thread.

Sorry you guys have to deal with this. I know it sucks.

[quote name='shrike4242']Good to hear that things went well with the local police, zepheron. I'm guessing that was the right phone # I PM'd you?

Hopefully, they'll go pay him a visit about the complaint over the weekend and get back to you on Monday.

I think with the IC3.gov complaint, the USPS mail fraud complaint and the local police contact, that should get things moving to try and get your stuff back.

DaChicagoBear 1 also needs to do the steps outlined above, as this gives weight to the situation with two complaints instead of one.[/quote]

Yeah, it was the correct number. Thanks! You've been a big help, and I feel a little better about the situation now.

And yes, hopefully they will talk to him this weekend and get my things back.. that would be wonderful. I assume a uniformed officer would scare someone into doing what they said they would.

[quote name='zepheron']Yeah, it was the correct number. Thanks! You've been a big help, and I feel a little better about the situation now.

And yes, hopefully they will talk to him this weekend and get my things back.. that would be wonderful. I assume a uniformed officer would scare someone into doing what they said they would.[/quote]I think if they hear DaChicagoBear 1's complaint and yours, then that should get them more likely to take things seriously and look into the situation quickly.

Getting your stuff back would depend on if he still has it or not, as he may have already disposed of it at a pawn shop or some other means. Hopefully he still does have it, they'll collect it and you'll get it back.

[quote name='zepheron']Yeah, it was the correct number. Thanks! You've been a big help, and I feel a little better about the situation now.

And yes, hopefully they will talk to him this weekend and get my things back.. that would be wonderful. I assume a uniformed officer would scare someone into doing what they said they would.[/quote]
I would be really scared and very surprised to see an officer on my front door for something I did on the web.:bomb:

Well, he gets what he deserves!

As someone who has been scammed, I can feel for you on how shitty it is, but seriously, this whole scenario sounds like you should've thought this through more. I'm guessing you'll be more careful in the future and I hope more people are too. Concealed cash for 3 games that you are going to send out with nothing more than someone's word in a pm that they sent your money? At the very least you should wait for your money to show up first.

I've been scammed on here as well, not at the trading forum but at the referral forum. It sucks but I think if you're a new trader you should stick to trading with people with higher iTrader feedback. Not saying all newbies are scammers but you can see how easy it is to get 4 or 5 fb and start scamming. It's just a safer way to build feedback.

Good luck and I hope you catch the guy.

[quote name='mike.m']As someone who has been scammed, I can feel for you on how shitty it is, but seriously, this whole scenario sounds like you should've thought this through more. I'm guessing you'll be more careful in the future and I hope more people are too. Concealed cash for 3 games that you are going to send out with nothing more than someone's word in a pm that they sent your money? At the very least you should wait for your money to show up first.[/quote]

I agree, I was kind of reckless with that. My relunctantly-trusting personality came out, and was a bit naive about the guy having some positive feedback with cash already. But, yes, definitely will be more careful.

[quote name='mike.m']As someone who has been scammed, I can feel for you on how shitty it is, but seriously, this whole scenario sounds like you should've thought this through more. I'm guessing you'll be more careful in the future and I hope more people are too. Concealed cash for 3 games that you are going to send out with nothing more than someone's word in a pm that they sent your money? At the very least you should wait for your money to show up first.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, it's hard to fault the OP since they had an identical level of feedback (3 each) and agreed on simultaneous shipping. If they both agree to ship on day X, there's not much the OP can do after he goes to the post office. And I'd say that he would be disingenuous to wait until he received a shipping confirmation from the other party. If everyone did that, then we'd never get any simultaneous trades done.

[quote name='Sharp Katana']I've been scammed on here as well, not at the trading forum but at the referral forum. It sucks but I think if you're a new trader you should stick to trading with people with higher iTrader feedback. Not saying all newbies are scammers but you can see how easy it is to get 4 or 5 fb and start scamming. It's just a safer way to build feedback.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this advice, though sometimes you've just got to take the chance and trade with a fellow newbie. But in general, a good rule of thumb to follow.

As someone who's been through a ton of trades (the good, the bad and the "awesome" Minder iPod scam of 2006), I find the (seeming) increase in scams to be a disturbing trend on CAG. I'm lucky to be able to pull rank and usually request that my partner send first. But I definitely feel for the OP who, as far as I can tell, was reasonable and smart in the way that he handled the trade (other than perhaps pressing the issue of mackdaddy226 failing to ship simultaneous, but at that point, it's already too late). The sad truth is that sometimes, no matter what precautions you take, someone's going to figure out a way to scam you.

Shrike is one of the most helpful people in resolving trade issues. He helped me out a couple months ago on a deal that was taking a month after I sent the Pay Pal funds. Concealed cash is not recommended because you have no protection. I hope everything works out and this scammer gets what he deserves. I wish you the best. Everybody I have traded with/purchased from or sold to has been reputable so I hope this doesn't deter you from staying on this site. A felony is forever and I hope this scammer (and all scammers) get what they deserve.

i am sorry op....

seriously though, people with low feedback should not get themselves involved in big trades unless you are dealing with someone that has high feedback.

the best way to protect yourself is to trade with higher feedback members first. Once you build up your trader rating, you will reduce the chance of getting scammed greatly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back