80GB PS3 System - $319 @ Dell

This has been around for a while, but mostly as an add-on to the XBOX 360 thread... I bought my PS3 using it and it arrived in 3 days using the default free shipping...

Dell isn't losing money, they just aren't netting as large a profit as the guy selling it for full price. Dell doesn't buy them for 400, maybe half that at most. And with the amount of sales they get from having that coupon, I'm sure they more then make up for the loss in profit per unit by the amount they sell.

I could be wrong, but thats how I see it. Good deal, but has been posted before (unless its a new coupon).

I always thought consoles were sold to retailers for just under MSRP. I know Nintendo consoles are sold slightly below MSRP to Best Buy.

[quote name='willardhaven']I always thought consoles were sold to retailers for just under MSRP. I know Nintendo consoles are sold slightly below MSRP to Best Buy.[/quote]

depends on the deal you get from the manufactuer, of course the more you buy the more you save such as walmart. in addition they can give retailers specials incentives to sell the merchandise such as specil buys with minimum purchase requirements or scan downs where as every unit sold you will receive $xx.xx back from the manufactuer just for selling the unit. as strong as dell is I'm sure they aren't losing money on any of the coupons they offer unless the item is being phased out (clearence) do you see all three xbox ps3 and wii being phased out?

Dell does not buy PS3 systems for half the price. Get real. They make some money on the systems and accessories and other crap they get people to add to their cart

[quote name='iamthekiller']Dell does not buy PS3 systems for half the price. Get real. They make some money on the systems and accessories and other crap they get people to add to their cart[/quote]

I know this sounds insane but we don't really know what they buy them for lol. Honestly I'm sure they make money on the sale even with free shipping offered and after coupon and no additonal items added to bill. They receive special promotions from Sony just as when Bestbuy had free $50 gift card Target and Gamestop had the same thing. They aren't just giving away money to buy a Ps3 at that store. The company I work for receives money first of all to carry items, seconly to promote the items a specific way thirdly on the markup of the item and lastly on scan credit which is bonuses for selling over a certain amount every day/week/month. This is business and in business its your busiiness not to fail. Dell's total price for these items is less than 20% but would have to be more than that to pay for shipping, employees, warehouses and the like. Dell is making a profit might be just 10% but even after these savings they we receive they make a profit.

I don't think I want to deal with Dell anymore. I jumped on that Rock Band 2 deal February 8th. Never received my 2 copies. So I canceled. Called them 5 times, they keep saying that they refunded me on March 13th and it cleared. I canceled on March 4th. But, still no money. Hopefully soon.

This coupon is reposted everywhere, and almost no one stops to mention the tax in the first post.

Isn't the PS3 due for a price drop to $250 sometime during April to June? I've been holding off as I've been expecting one. The general opinion is that Sony has to do this soon to remain somewhat competitive in the gaming wars, but no one really expects Sony to get out of the #3 spot when it does happen. I've been wanting it only to play the next Hot Shots Golf. I love the series so much, even at the cost of a new system. It's why I bought the PS2 at $250.00 as well.

i can see an initial price drop to $350 coming up but i doubt they would slash much more off than that. at least not right away.

I found two, new-in-box $400 PS3s at a surplus store near me...They're 255 each.

I'm tempted, but I instead went for the new-in-box pro holiday edition 360 for 200.

If the PS3s had been backwards compatible I would have jumped, but they seem like such a paperweight when you've to have a PS3 sitting on a PS2, just to play your Playstation games...Smart thinking, Sony. Is there any way around that dumb, downgrade?

There have been rumors of the PS3 dropping by $100 all over the place. Sony denies it, but what do you expect? I'm holding off till there's a price drop, and I have a feeling there is one coming in the near future.

I'll be selling the 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle by the end of the week on EBAY (with the works) . Factory Sealed and Extras, these don't even get manufactured anymore.

[quote name='Organ Donor']There have been rumors of the PS3 dropping by $100 all over the place. Sony denies it, but what do you expect? I'm holding off till there's a price drop, and I have a feeling there is one coming in the near future.[/quote]

+1

I'm expecting a price drop in the summer to early Fall range where the new 45nm cells will start being integrated into PS3's. I have an ulterior motive for the 45nm cell, and that's power consumption and longevity. A PS3 sucks 5 times as much as a normal blu ray player when playing movies.

I used this same coupon 2 weeks to buy a Xbox 360 Pro for $240. Used it again today to buy a Wii for my kids, $200 shipped.

You should jump on this if you haven't already. I got my PS3 with the last 20% off deal and the service was great (ordered 3-5 day shipping, it was at my house 2 days after ordering).
The thing is, I don't think the PS3 will drop by more than $50, so this deal is still a good bargain. I say go for it to those of you who are skeptical.

[quote name='Lord Darkstorn']You should jump on this if you haven't already. I got my PS3 with the last 20% off deal and the service was great (ordered 3-5 day shipping, it was at my house 2 days after ordering).
The thing is, I don't think the PS3 will drop by more than $50, so this deal is still a good bargain. I say go for it to those of you who are skeptical.[/quote]

Exactly. Just go for it. This most likely takes it down to the price drop range you guys are hoping for, and if/when it does get a price drop, I doubt Dell will have these coupons for it anymore.

[quote name='optimusprime8062']Exactly. Just go for it. This most likely takes it down to the price drop range you guys are hoping for, and if/when it does get a price drop, I doubt Dell will have these coupons for it anymore.[/quote]

Why not? They are doing the same for wiis and 360's, and we have no reason to believe those are due for price drops soon.

most likely this deal will be dead by the time a price drop happens (if it evens happens at all this year). add the fact the drop is rumored to be in the 50 dollar range, this deal right now beats it. so take advantage of it.

I'm going for it! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if this model is backwards compatible?

EDIT~ Nevermind, looks as if it isn't...Damn Sony for making me still use my PS2 if I buy their "State-of-the-art" console...(lol)

I'm still thinking about it since there aren't THAT many games I really need to play, even though I have been buying cheap or limited edition PS3 games as they came along.

[quote name='_Sin_']somewhere in fairyland

I jumped on the sony card deal and got one for $200 off. :)[/quote]

Great way to go

I bought a PS3 using this deal. I used the coupon code, eBate's 2% off Dell Home Electronics purchases, and some other gift cards to knock the purchase down to about $240. I paid for standard shipping, but I received overnight because the PS3 shipped from within 2 hours of where I live. I'm pretty pleased, but it mostly just sits there and does Folding@Home.

Which one of these events is most likely to happen

A) Playstation 3 price drop
B) Playstation 3 comes with a 1 Terrabyte Solid State Drive before a price drop
C) Duke Nukem Forever comes out
D) 2012

Thanks OP. Coupon > free game @ BB and I'm so glad I decided to lurk before I went to sleep. I'm going to place an order later this week.

Hey guys, I just ordered one last friday (3-13) and it arrived today, I used the free standard shipping btw. So yeah it came extremely fast with no problems. If you guys are planning to get a ps3 i think this deal is ur best bet.

[quote name='StarOcean']Hey guys, I just ordered one last friday (3-13) and it arrived today, I used the free standard shipping btw. So yeah it came extremely fast with no problems. If you guys are planning to get a ps3 i think this deal is ur best bet.[/quote]

How much in tax did you have to pay? I always use pre-paid visas for online purchases so the amount has to either be specific or over.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Which one of these events is most likely to happen

A) Playstation 3 price drop
B) Playstation 3 comes with a 1 Terrabyte Solid State Drive before a price drop
C) Duke Nukem Forever comes out
D) 2012[/QUOTE]

I think the answer to this is D.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Why not? They are doing the same for wiis and 360's, and we have no reason to believe those are due for price drops soon.[/quote]
There is yet another 80gb SKU coming out. Looks like Sony may be opting to keep the price but pack-in Motorstorm and Resistance:FoM together. I could be wrong.
MSRP is the same (so far via Target):
photo580ps3target.jpg

[quote name='Anexanhume'] A PS3 sucks 5 times as much as a normal blu ray player when playing movies.[/quote]

BT remote issue aside, it's better than about 1/2 the BD players I have seen.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']How much in tax did you have to pay? I always use pre-paid visas for online purchases so the amount has to either be specific or over.[/quote]

I live in cali so the tax was $26.40, total that would be: $346.39

This new SKU is interesting, especially if it replaces the 80gb sku all together (which it shouldn't). If it did, you'd be automatically buying an M-rated game at purchase.

If Dell still runs the deal while this SKU is out, that'd be enough for me. Granted, I'm waiting until summer anyway due to my backlog and wanting a 45nm cell version.

[quote name='StarOcean']I live in cali so the tax was $26.40, total that would be: $346.39[/quote]

Thanks. My city's rate is 6.75% so I can definitely swing it.

[quote name='Anexanhume']This new SKU is interesting, especially if it replaces the 80gb sku all together (which it shouldn't). If it did, you'd be automatically buying an M-rated game at purchase.[/quote]

That would be a seriously bone-headed move on Sony's part. I bet that's what happens.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Why not? They are doing the same for wiis and 360's, and we have no reason to believe those are due for price drops soon.[/quote]

Good point, tough call. I cant wait though, I wanted one pretty bad. Basically, Im willing to pay extra to have it now, then to wait for a price drop. If you dont mind waiting, then It looks like its a good idea to do so (wait) for now. I would say that if their is no announcement of a price drop by May...then there wont be one until Christmas. Thats all guess work though.

I ordered a PS3 on Sunday night, and I am supposed to get it tomorrow. I am going to put this one in my room, and my PS3 60 GB downstairs on my main tv.

Just be careful since Dell fucked up my order because my street address was so long it took up 2 lines and they failed to print up the 2nd line on UPS shipping slip. I have yet to get any response from Dell and I got a feeling this'll take over a week to resolve. Sigh, all this to save $50 compared to Amazon. Amazon would have already told me not worry about it and sent me a new shipment by free overnight shipping.

[quote name='Anexanhume']This new SKU is interesting, especially if it replaces the 80gb sku all together (which it shouldn't). If it did, you'd be automatically buying an M-rated game at purchase.
[/QUOTE]

Huh? Never thought of that. Good point. Sony is not after the casual market confirmed ? ;) Now every system will prompt to ask for ID. Not that I see many young people buying a PS3, and if they are just under 18 so their parents would probably be buying it for them anyways.

I'm waiting for either this new bundle, or for a price drop for the solo 80GB ($350 sounds reasonable since the two games are worth $60 total).

But even a $100 price drop for the old 80 gb is possible since it's using the older 65 nm cells, as opposed to the 45 nm cells that are going to be implemented.

bread's done
Back