Comet Crash - New PSN Tower Defense Game - Out Now - $9.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.cometcrash.com/

cometcrash.png
There's not much info on this game out there, but the official site has a good video showing off the game's features. It has three-player co-op and up to four-player battle and I'll take a guess that both of those are local modes. It seems that the only news on its release said it would've been out last week, so maybe it will hit this week.

And of course, there's the trophy list, courtesy of freakyzeeky:

goldsmiley.png
silversmiley.png
bronzesmiley.png

Total: 12

goldsmiley.png
Helios Area 28
Complete Comet Helios Area 28 at Ranked difficulty

silversmiley.png
Kreios Area 7
Complete Comet Kreios Area 7 at Ranked difficulty

silversmiley.png
Hathor Area 14
Complete Comet Hathor Area 14 at Ranked difficulty

silversmiley.png
Aether Area 21
Complete Comet Aether Area 21 at Ranked difficulty

silversmiley.png
Triple-Decker Tanks
Hathor Area 12, Ranked: Produce a compressed flow of tanks by collapsing the trail multiple times

bronzesmiley.png
Complete Training
Complete the Training mode

bronzesmiley.png
Box Kill 20
Kreios Area 1, Ranked: Kill 20 units that have been boxed in and trapped with weapons

bronzesmiley.png
Box Kill 50
Kreios Area 3, Ranked: Kill 50 units that have been boxed in with weapons

bronzesmiley.png
Box Kill 200
Helios Area 22, Ranked: Kill 200 units that have been boxed in with weapons

bronzesmiley.png
Kreios Shortcut
Kreios Area 5, Ranked: replace a key enemy structure to create an optimal path to the enemy Base

bronzesmiley.png
Hathor Shortcut
Hathor Area 9, Ranked: replace key enemy structures to create an optimal path to the enemy Base

bronzesmiley.png
Aether Shortcut
Aether Area 20, Ranked: replace a key enemy structure to create an optimal path to the enemy Base

From viewing the video, it looks to me like it'll be more of a traditional Tower Defense (TD) game, compared to other TD games the PSN has to offer (PJM and Savage Moon come to mind)... it also looks a bit hectic. :oldman:
IDK, I still haven't started PJM, and that's been in my hard drive since last year, so I should probably get to that first (Back on topic freaky!)... There is still too little that I know about this game, so I'm gonna wait to hear more news about it before I decide if I should pick it up or not. :whistle2:k

I really wish they'd put online multiplayer in these games. Bit off topic, but the game I'm really looking forward to is fat princess.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']From viewing the video, it looks to me like it'll be more of a traditional Tower Defense (TD) game, compared to other TD games the PSN has to offer (PJM and Savage Moon come to mind)... it also looks a bit hectic. :oldman:
IDK, I still haven't started PJM, and that's been in my hard drive since last year, so I should probably get to that first (Back on topic freaky!)... There is still too little that I know about this game, so I'm gonna wait to hear more news about it before I decide if I should pick it up or not. :whistle2:k[/quote]
You're doing yourself a disservice by not playing PJM.

Wow a lot of tower defense games are coming out after the success of PJ Monster.

I feel thats once you have played one you have played them all :)

well I tried to watch the vid but the site seems to be having probs. Looks pretty neat to me. I also would love to see some multiplayer over the intarwebs on these ps3 TD games.

If it's 1 player only like Savage Moon, I'm not touching it. I thought PJM would have taught people the proper way to do Tower Defense.

[quote name='Sixtail']If it's 1 player only like Savage Moon, I'm not touching it. I thought PJM would have taught people the proper way to do Tower Defense.[/quote]
You should read the threads you post in.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You're doing yourself a disservice by not playing PJM.[/quote]

I realize that, but I figure I should tackle my backlog first (Games that come from Goozex, etc.), and work on my PSN games last, since they're not going anywhere.

I still haven't got to it due to so many games I need to play first, but I will get to it eventually. ;)

Stop it freaky. We all know you are not playing it because there are only 10 trophies.:lol:

Anyways I am pretty sure I read somewhere that somehow you control the actual waves of enemies, so it may be quite different from most TD games. Then again, it could only be that way for some of the vs modes or whatever.

Either way, 3 player Coop is outstanding.

[quote name='smiggity']Anyways I am pretty sure I read somewhere that somehow you control the actual waves of enemies, so it may be quite different from most TD games. Then again, it could only be that way for some of the vs modes or whatever.[/quote]

That's a cool twist. I usually gloss over whenever they announce a new tower defense game (especially since I still haven't finished Monsters), but I'd like to know more about this tower attack mode.

Yeah the 4 player screen shows swarms of enemies that seem to originate in each players' respective quadrant of the screen, heading toward another player. So perhaps in the multiplayer modes you have control over the swarm, or at least can trigger one to head out and attack another player.

I dunno about this one tho - Savage Moon has basically sat idle since I last played over a month ago, and the wife won't go near it. Times like these that Sony is really shooting themselves in the foot by not requiring a demo mode of every PSN game like that other major online game service (not naming names or anything)... in this case, there's a zero % chance I'll buy this on day one, or day anything, whereas if there were a demo, the chance would at least be > 0.

Savage Moon is too hard. Plus the interface is so complicated I cant get any of my friends to play it.

I hope this one does a better job of filling the TD void on PSN.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you're past the first moon, Savage Moon is pretty easy once you figure out the trick that makes it a breeze.[/quote]

Are you speaking of the Boost and Repair towers? Thats how my roommate beat every level. Those with fully upgraded machine guns. I cant get past level 3 on planet 2

Yeah, the basic key to success is building one group of turrets around an amp and repair tower near your base, though you could use more if that seems helpful, and they will destroy anything that comes your way.

Yeah my problem is they usually get destroyed b4 I can upgrade everything.My roommate still spent like 3hrs per level though

We now have some concrete info on Comet Crash now:

The inspiration for Comet Crash comes from traditional tower defense games, but we think it’s time for some exciting twists.

Generally in tower defense games, you build up weapons to protect your base from oncoming rushes of enemies. Killing enemy swarms is a lot of fun, but isn’t it time to take out the nest? In Comet Crash, you use a variety of weapons to defend against enemy rushes, and you get the chance to fight back. The real objective is to rush the enemy base with your own offensive army!

In the Campaign, your goal is to take control of four different comets that alien forces have sent to wreak havoc on your home planet. To save your planet, you’ll have to capture and secure each comet. The alien civilization has advanced technologies that you gain access to as you defeat them. The Campaign supports up to 3 players for offline co-op play and offers three difficulty levels: Beginner, Casual, and Ranked. Between collecting resources, building up armies, defending your base, and determining your winning strategy, there is never a dull moment!

To build structures, you need a resource called Thorium, which is found in the rocks that orbit the comets. Your ship can grab these rocks and drag them over to your weapons to smash them and collect the Thorium. We have a blast fighting over these rocks in co-op and battle modes.

Battle mode let’s you play against your friends, supporting 2 to 4 players offline. Teams can be configured however you want. There are 12 different maps to choose from. Fight over resources, build up defenses, and attack each other with massive armies.

Eager to meet some of the cast members of Comet Crash? Let us whet your appetite…

There are four distinct weapons to choose from. Some can be used only against ground units, others against air, and some can be used against both ground and air. The weapons vary in cost and strength and you can upgrade to make them more powerful.

Bomber

One of the ground/air weapons is the Bomber. It shoots guided bombs that will attack and follow any enemy within its range. Enemy ships, units and structures…you name it, the Bomber can take it down. Bombers can cause some exciting scenarios! You can form a hovering mass of bombs by circling your ship around enemy Bombers. Once they’re chasing your ship, you might want to ditch them somewhere away from friendly territory.

There are four basic units for both ground and air that vary in speed and health. These are the units that you will usually be attacking with and defending your base against.

In addition to weapons and basic units, specialized units can be used for both defensive and offensive purposes. Here is a sneak peak at some of the special units you can master.

Thief

The Thief steals units from the enemy team and converts them to its own team. If your army runs into a gang of enemy Thieves, it could be bad news for you. Sending out Thieves is a great way to supplement your defensive weapons, because it reduces the enemy armies.

Carrier

This unit can pack a punch. The Carrier allows up to 20 basic ground units to take a ride through the air toward the enemy base. If you can get a fully loaded Carrier to the enemy base you will cause major destruction. On the flip side, don’t let these behemoths get too close to your territory.

Gateway

The Gateway allows friendly units to pass through it while blocking enemy units. This innovative structure can be used to manipulate the path. In the Campaign you’ll find some fun and challenging puzzle levels where the Gateway really comes into play.

Feature Review

• Campaign with 28 stages, including some puzzle-like challenges!
  • Training stage that introduces essential gameplay and tactics.
  • Offline Co-op: Up to 3 players can fight through the Campaign together.
  • Offline Battle: Up to 4 player battles with configurable teams.
  • 4 basic mobile units with varying behavior, speed, and health.
  • 4 additional specialized mobile units with extra abilities.
  • 8 structures including weapons, factories, and others with special purposes.
  • Defend your base and rush the enemy with your own army.
  • Intuitive and powerful UI for building and attacking.
  • Highly optimized for PS3 with thousands of AI-controlled units.
  • 12 trophies.
  • 3 difficulty settings.
  • Online scoreboards.
  • Supports 1080p.
  • Supports BGM (XMB background music).
Comet Crash is available on PSN tomorrow for $9.99. Thanks for reading our post!

Awesome - looking forward to it - just showed it to my wife and she was even excited. We blew through PJM and were very disappointed that when trophy support came out it didn't involve two-player - boo!

Will be picking this up tomorrow for sure!

I got this earlier today and have played a bit. Not sure if I like it yet, but it's definitely different from Savage Moon and PJ Monsters. Instead of setting up towers for waves that come at you in a structured way, CC is much faster-paced and a bit more open. I've played through the training mode and through four or five of the campaign missions.

Each mission basically pits you against a red AI that already has their towers set-up, so you just need to get your towers set-up at the beginning as they start attacking. You can see the path of their waves whenever they send them out and like Savage Moon, you can change it by setting your own towers in the way. A few missions in, I earned a crystal thing that lets me block enemy waves but let my own move through freely for an easier method of blocking the enemy's path. You can't just directly block the enemy's path like you could in Savage Moon though, so it's not really changing the AI dynamically. You build towers with money that is mainly earned by grabbing asteroids that zip by and bring them over to your towers to destroy for the money inside.

Right now, I have a turret tower for attacking waves, a laser tower for attacking asteroids more easily and possibly other long range things, the crystal I mentioned earlier, and a basic ops tower that builds your storage of scouts and other attacking forces that you can send at the enemy. You probably want to build turrets first, basic ops second, and turrets third to set up your defenses, ready for an attack, and then make money easier. You can upgrade towers to make them better just by pressing the circle button, which just costs money and it seems to more of a small push in attributes rather than big changes like in PJM or Savage Moon.

I've earned the ability to make tanks along with scouts by upgrading basic ops towers, so I'm guessing you upgrade some and not others to have a mix. When you have scouts, tanks, or whatever to send out, you push the right stick in the direction on the radial menu for which units to send out and hold for as long as you want to let out a few or go for an overwhelming zerg rush of the enemy's base. I can see where the multiplayer portion of this game could be really fun. When you finish a mission, you see how long it took you and you're rated by stars, which seem to be more about the difficulty you played on rather than how well you played for the difficulty you chose. Expect 1's for Beginner, 2-3's for Casual, and 4-5's for Ranked.

That's about all I've done. I'm looking forward to having more time to play through the campaign and see if it pans out into a good game or not.

Great summary and review Frisky - thanks!

I finally got around to picking it up today and me and my wife played for a couple of hours. We played on beginner. It is definitely more hectic and fast-paced than PJM. I haven't played Savage Moon yet so can't compare it to that. The two player is fun though - my wife doesn't like it as much as PJM and I'd agree - but I still enjoy it and want to complete it with her on ranked if she'll do it. We sorta delegated duties - well she mainly made offensive stuff and I did defense/offense/grabbing asteroids/etc. haha. We cleared the first comet and played a couple stages on the next comet. She's picking it up quickly but I'm afraid the controls could ultimately be a little too complex for her liking. The build menu will take a bit of time for me to get comfortable with - it sorta needs to become second nature very quickly as you don't always have time to fiddle around with it - and it hasn't become second nature or anything yet. I also tend to forget about my offense and don't send them out as frequently as I should. I'm afraid in this game it seems either we haven't found our groove as far as delegating duties or it's gonna be everybody has to do everything.

Is it better than Savage Moon? These games really need online play. Does PJM have online? Do the online leaderboards for any of these work or are they filled with cheaters?

Savage Moon's main fault is that it's campaign is a bit cheap and simple without all that much skill being required to beat it, but the free play mode is a lot of fun.

I haven't played enough of this to say it's better or not, but it's more of an interesting game than Savage Moon was since some of its cool bits weren't fleshed out as much.

I don't know about cheaters on the leaderboards since I'm not sure how you'd cheat in these games to inflate your scores.

Thanks for the input. I'm guessing cheaters would be something like those who try to find glitches and run the score up without playing the game normally. Or use their friends to help them.

This game is great! You really can't judge it based on the first few levels. It keeps getting better as you go through it, as it introduces new units for you to use.

Plus the 2 and 3 player co-op is just awesome (have you tried simultaneous attacks yet???). And battle is great for longevity, since you can play EPIC battles with friends after you get through the campaign. But the campaign itself is long enough to easily make it worth it. Some might appreciate the cartoony slow paced feel of PJM, but I actually prefer the more real time and open aspects of CC.

You can beat levels in lots of different ways, even by destroying the enemy towers to cripple its base! You can take your time and risk bigger enemy attacks, or you can try to get a quick kill if you like to storm through, another thing which is different from PJM where waves come at fixed times.

I bought it after reading these responses from players that have tried it:
http://boards.ign.com/ps3_general_board/b8267/178857365/p1/

They're spot on! I can't stress enough how good the gameplay is, it's a shame there's a lack of information about this game out there. It was definitely a risky purchase, but has completely paid off.

I agree with you gamer007K. I had a really hard time deciding to purchase this game due to lack of reviews.

After playing Comet Crash I can only say that I do not regret the purchase at all. I could not put it down Sunday night and paid for it today at work (nothing a little coffee couldn't cure)...but it was so worth it!

Though I ragged on Beginner dificulty for being way too easy early on, it's been a savior during the tougher matches on the third comet/planet/whatever. I need to work on my speed in setting up towers before I can get good at the later levels.

Comet Crash is an amazing game. I wasn't sure about it at first but after playing for 3 days straight and then calling my boys over for the co-op I am hooked. So much better than the other tower defense games on PSN. Pick it up. $10 well spent.

:drool: - Does anyone know how LoVeRiCe got
such a high score on Area 20? What's the trick to getting those amazingly high scores on this game. I just can't do it? Help anyone?

They're both about even in greatest. PixelJunk Monsters has the charm and a bit more simplicity while Comet Crash requires a bit more strategy and offers local multiplayer support. You should check out the Monsters demo and see if that's your thing or not.

Cool, interesting feature in a tower defense game. Tempted to get the game, but without a demo I'm still on the fence.

I dunno, I though CC's multiplayer was pretty broken.

When me and my friends played, we quickly changed our strategy from building troops to put lots of lasers as close to the enemy spawn spot as possible.

Got really annoying really fast.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/11/free-comet-crash-update-available-now-on-psn/

Update 1.03 is supposed to be out now with new maps and levels:
The 1.03 update adds the following features:
  • ‘Expert’ difficulty setting for seasoned Comet Crash players. You’ll see a surge in enemy attacks that will put your skills to the test.
  • 4 new Resurgence levels–one unlocked at the end of each comet during the Campaign. Resurgence levels may require completely new strategies. Beware…no hints!
  • 4 new Battle maps to mix up your games a bit.
  • Battle timer setting. After the timer runs out, all mobile units generate at 8x the normal rate which should bring games to an exciting finish!
  • Thorium setting to tweak available resources in Battle mode.

bread's done
Back