My take on RE4 (Wake up guys, it's not perfect)

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
This review contains spoilers. This is a review, but not in usual format.

Resident Evil 4 is actually the 8761238742146th (RE1, 2, 3, Code Veronica, Zero, etc.) game in the Resident Evil series and pits Leon Kennedy in search of the president's daughter, Ashley, somewhere over in Europe, presumably Spain. While there are multiple changes, the game is definately worth buying a Gamecube for.

Every review written so far has mentioned how great the game is.. but this game has its fair share of faults, which I will point out at the end.

The graphics, for starters, are absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. Excuse me, but where has the Gamecube been hiding this power? Why have games not looked this great before!?

Control wise, you actually get freeroam, and can shoot any villager at any point on their body and they react accordingly. Shoot them in the arm, they'll drop whatever they're holding.. shoot them in the leg, they'll fall. This comes in very handy, especially when you're being bombarded and need a few seconds to reload.

Overall, since everyone knows everything about this game, i'd give it an 9 out of 10.. and here are the faults as I was mentioning earlier.

The Faults:

With Resident Evil 4, it seems as though they lean more towards an action title, and that's how it feels. RE4 does not feel like a survival horror game, which is sad, but true. The puzzles are boring and the same things done since Resident Evil 1 (Push Statue A on Square A and Statue B onto Square B and OMG DOOR OPENED~!).

This game is extremely linear. You go to one room, you kill zombies, you get a key, you go to the place where you need to use the key, you use it, and on you go. They promote the game to where you can do whatever you want and however you want, though they provide specific gun situations, and you're screwed if you don't have them. For instance, when Ashley is chained up, you don't NEED the sniper rifle, but later on you will, fighting the walking blue things. You can buy a rocket launcher, but this makes bosses extremely easy to kill. One shot, even.

There are two major, MAJOR control problems. Numbero Uno.. you cannot strafe. Number two, you can't move while aimed. Both of these omissions greatly hurt the game.

Another fault deals with the inclusion of the QTE (Quick Time Events, or "PUSH ". In games such as Shenmue, when a QTE popped up, there was a positive reaction if it was pressed, and a negative one if it wasn't. In RE4, there is no negative reaction. You either press the right button or you don't. There's one particular way to exploit this. In the fight with Krauser, just place your thumb over the B and A, and use fingers for the L&R triggers. Everything something pops up, hit all of them as fast as you can, and you will always win the fight.

But yeah, other than the faults, it's an extremely enjoyable action title.

Where the hell's Dead Aim? Where's Outbreak? Where's Gaiden? Everybody knows it isn't actually the 4th installment. Nobody is that stupid. Thank you for stating the obvious, and you didn't even get the info right! :roll:

Oh, and your title needs to be fixed too. You said that the game is not perfect. People don't think that, it got a 9.6. But then, in your review, you said that you should buy the game cube just to play the game. And what the fuck other than 9.6 and higher tell you to buy a fucking console for the fucking game? It is practically perfect if you'll buy a console for it. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

And not being able to strafe isn't a flaw. Let's see a certain RE game that allowed strafing, oh Dead Aim. Remember what a masterpiece that was? If they made strafing, it would be far too much like a FPS. Then it wouldn't be RE, would it?

...i actually like the controls...and the ones in Metroid Prime. They seem to fit the games to me. If i dont die because of controls (the other RE's) than i dont have a problem with them

I actually like not being able to fire and not being able to strafe. Basically without these, the scare factor would not be as high (kind of nice to have a guy sneak up on you)

[quote name='CrimsonGeist']Where the hell's Dead Aim? Where's Outbreak? Where's Gaiden? Everybody knows it isn't actually the 4th installment. Nobody is that stupid. Thank you for stating the obvious, and you didn't even get the info right! :roll:

Oh, and your title needs to be fixed too. You said that the game is not perfect. People don't think that, it got a 9.6. But then, in your review, you said that you should buy the game cube just to play the game. And what the shaq-fu other than 9.6 and higher tell you to buy a shaq-fuing console for the shaq-fuing game? It is practically perfect if you'll buy a console for it. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:[/quote]

A DOG HUMPED MY LEG!!!

First off yes, RE:3 is the same as Nemisis since its called RE:3:Nemisis,

Second of all Dead aim etc. have very little to do with the RE storyline. That doesn't mean they weren't RE games, and I do agree that RE:4 is more like the 10th RE game, but it doesn't really matter. Who cares what number it is? Its his freakin' intro so he doesn't go straight into rambling. I could say something like, a dog humped my leg and then start this post just so that it has some sort of intro... In fact I will...

i actually agree with you for the most part....i dont think its perfect, but with that said, theirs not a whole lot more that needs to be done to make it perfect....it is also definitely the best game that i have played in a very long time....as for the "go here, shoot those, grab key, unlock door" complaint, you can sum up just about any game like that....every game has a set gimmick, its just that with resident evil, its more noticable because of how popular the series is and how many games are out for the series

also, no game is perfect....everything can have a little extra added to it to make it better....there were times where i wish i could strafe or run while shooting, but as casey said, that would take some of the "oh shit, someones going to get me if i dont hurry up" away from the game

I agree with you on your points, Scorch. I do think that not having a strafe hurts the game, but I didn't mind not being able to move around while aiming. The weakest point of the game, I thought, was the storyline and characters. Leon was just the same, generic, wisecracking-but-gets-the-job-done action hero that's been the norm in Hollywood and now the game industry for a while. Ashley pretty much had no personality. The antagonists were all stereotypical bad guys. The narrative had a couple of cool moments, but didn't hold my interest at all.

If you asked me, which nobody did, I'd give it about a 9 out of 10 because it was a blast to play, had some awesome atmosphere, top-notch A/V, and managed to reduce me to a twitchy, paranoid freak by the end of the game.

[quote name='CrimsonGeist']Where the hell's Dead Aim? Where's Outbreak? Where's Gaiden? Everybody knows it isn't actually the 4th installment. Nobody is that stupid. Thank you for stating the obvious, and you didn't even get the info right! :roll:[/quote]

Oh, yay! My first ignorant Gamecube fanboy! Did Dead Aim, Outbreak or Gaiden actually contribute to a story line?

Oh, and your title needs to be fixed too. You said that the game is not perfect. People don't think that, it got a 9.6. But then, in your review, you said that you should buy the game cube just to play the game. And what the shaq-fu other than 9.6 and higher tell you to buy a shaq-fuing console for the shaq-fuing game? It is practically perfect if you'll buy a console for it.

...what? There's more than one reason to buy the Gamecube, i'm saying that it's totally justifiable if you wanted to buy it just for RE4.. god, did you get the link here from GameFaqs?

And not being able to strafe isn't a flaw. Let's see a certain RE game that allowed strafing, oh Dead Aim. Remember what a masterpiece that was? If they made strafing, it would be far too much like a FPS. Then it wouldn't be RE, would it?

No, I don't.. I never bought it. Just.. go back to GameFaqs. You failed to make any points.

Nothing major, but isn't RE3 and Nemesis the same game?

Oh. Yeah. I guess they are. I haven't slept in 32+ hours, so that could have something to do with that. Sorry. I was thinking RE1, RE2, RE3 on PS1, then Code Veronica on DC, then for some odd reason, Nemesis and Zero on GC.. :oops:

I actually like not being able to fire and not being able to strafe. Basically without these, the scare factor would not be as high (kind of nice to have a guy sneak up on you)

Is there really a scare factor? Or more of a panic factor? It didn't seem too scary to me.

i actually agree with you for the most part....i dont think its perfect, but with that said, theirs not a whole lot more that needs to be done to make it perfect....it is also definitely the best game that i have played in a very long time....as for the "go here, shoot those, grab key, unlock door" complaint, you can sum up just about any game like that....every game has a set gimmick, its just that with resident evil, its more noticable because of how popular the series is and how many games are out for the series

Touche, mister Trust.

Heh. Pointless.

Just like your reply!

also, no game is perfect....everything can have a little extra added to it to make it better....there were times where i wish i could strafe or run while shooting, but as casey said, that would take some of the "oh shit, someones going to get me if i dont hurry up" away from the game

But what if this was.. Halo 2? What if Halo 2 had no strafe button and was over the shoulder like RE4? Leon runs very clunky.. I dunno. I just think it'd be better with a strafe button.. don't get me wrong, I rated the game an 8.5 out of 10 and it's worth buying a cube over.. It's definately in my favorite top 10 of all time.. but I want to strafe! And that QTE stuff bothered me.

I agree with you on your points, Scorch. I do think that not having a strafe hurts the game, but I didn't mind not being able to move around while aiming.

Finally, someone who can have a constructed argument without saying flatout that an opinion is wrong. Thank you for being born. There's just times that i'd like to be walking backwards and blasting away, you know? Those "panic" situations, I guess.

The weakest point of the game, I thought, was the storyline and characters. Leon was just the same, generic, wisecracking-but-gets-the-job-done action hero that's been the norm in Hollywood and now the game industry for a while. Ashley pretty much had no personality. The antagonists were all stereotypical bad guys. The narrative had a couple of cool moments, but didn't hold my interest at all.

Yeah, and the tongue-in-cheek political and religion references didn't help. It also didn't help that Ashley was 20 and looked 14.. made it disturbing when Leon hit on her and vice versa.

If you asked me, which nobody did, I'd give it about a 9 out of 10 because it was a blast to play, had some awesome atmosphere, top-notch A/V, and managed to reduce me to a twitchy, paranoid freak by the end of the game.

I think I'll raise it to a 9 out of 10.. i'm just being too anal. I don't know why that is, I literally sat down and played it for 7 hours straight on Saturday. The villagers and the parasites were creepy, but did anyone get a bad vibe on the monsters?

Like that thing that held Salazaar, it just seemed like they were trying to too hard to be scary. I just came out with a "damn, that's ugly" feeling. It reminded me of a vagina with an eye and two tentacles.. which is not a nice thought. It actually reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Stephen King is all like "...Raaahhh!! It's a lamp.. monster!" and his publisher was like "You're not even trying anymore, are you?".. it felt sorta like that.. except with the beard guy, when he sprouted up.. that was just generally freaky.. but they did a good job at making the villagers freaky.

[quote name='Scorch']This review contains spoilers. This is a review, but not in usual format.

Resident Evil 4 is actually the 8761238742146th (RE1, 2, 3, Code Veronica, Zero, etc.) game in the Resident Evil series and pits Leon Kennedy in search of the president's daughter, Ashley, somewhere over in Europe, presumably Spain. While there are multiple changes, the game is definately worth buying a Gamecube for.

Every review written so far has mentioned how great the game is.. but this game has its fair share of faults, which I will point out at the end.

The graphics, for starters, are absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. Excuse me, but where has the Gamecube been hiding this power? Why have games not looked this great before!?

Control wise, you actually get freeroam, and can shoot any villager at any point on their body and they react accordingly. Shoot them in the arm, they'll drop whatever they're holding.. shoot them in the leg, they'll fall. This comes in very handy, especially when you're being bombarded and need a few seconds to reload.

Overall, since everyone knows everything about this game, i'd give it an 9 out of 10.. and here are the faults as I was mentioning earlier.

The Faults:

With Resident Evil 4, it seems as though they lean more towards an action title, and that's how it feels. RE4 does not feel like a survival horror game, which is sad, but true. The puzzles are boring and the same things done since Resident Evil 1 (Push Statue A on Square A and Statue B onto Square B and OMG DOOR OPENED~!).

This game is extremely linear. You go to one room, you kill zombies, you get a key, you go to the place where you need to use the key, you use it, and on you go. They promote the game to where you can do whatever you want and however you want, though they provide specific gun situations, and you're screwed if you don't have them. For instance, when Ashley is chained up, you don't NEED the sniper rifle, but later on you will, fighting the walking blue things. You can buy a rocket launcher, but this makes bosses extremely easy to kill. One shot, even.

There are two major, MAJOR control problems. Numbero Uno.. you cannot strafe. Number two, you can't move while aimed. Both of these omissions greatly hurt the game.

Another fault deals with the inclusion of the QTE (Quick Time Events, or "PUSH ". In games such as Shenmue, when a QTE popped up, there was a positive reaction if it was pressed, and a negative one if it wasn't. In RE4, there is no negative reaction. You either press the right button or you don't. There's one particular way to exploit this. In the fight with Krauser, just place your thumb over the B and A, and use fingers for the L&R triggers. Everything something pops up, hit all of them as fast as you can, and you will always win the fight.

But yeah, other than the faults, it's an extremely enjoyable action title.[/quote]

Yes It's true Resident Evil isn't a traditonal survior horror game anymore, and that's fine. It's not 1998 anymore, it's about time for a change. There are survivor elements in the game, you get waves of enemines thrown at you, fending them off while managing your health gets very trickey at points (play the game at professional mode). Yes, some of the puzzles were weak, the weight puzzles didn't take an IQ over 100 to figure out, but some of them were pretty fun (The light puzzle, the picture puzzle were my favorites) but this is just based on opinion. The puzzles were easy, that's pretty obvious but considering you only do a handful of them, I don't see the problem.

The game is very linear, but it's done in good taste. This game at it's core is Resident Evil, so having 100% pure freedom in the game isn't something I excepted to totally happen. I expected to find keys, I expected to fight enemies (not zombies FYI) area to area, and I had a blast doing it. Not every area was exactly the same as the last and something always made the action interesting. You have the freedom to kill all the enemies with any weapon you want, The Regenerators (the monster you mention you need the sniper rifle for) can be taken down with any weapon it just takes longer to do so (depending on the weapon). This is called strategy, would you rather kill every single enemy with the same weapon and having no varation in tactics? Also, no ones forcing you to buy the rocket launcher, yeah it makes the game easy when you use it at every boss fight, but if you know your going to kill it with one shot why bother with it? I didn't use the RPG on bosses just on that fact, since it's pretty much the finger of god, The game isn't forcing you to use it.

The issues with the controls where put in there for a reason I think. This is resident Evil, adding the addition of not being able to side step or being able to run while shooting keeps the nostalgic feeling that the Old Resident Evils games had it also adds to the suspense of the game considering you never know if there someone behind you or on the side. Would it have been nice? Sure it would have, but I think they left it like that to keep some of the old vibe from previous RE's. I found it to be fine, but if you found it annoying what ever floats your boat.

The Quick Time Events I had no problem with, it added to the suspense of the game too, considering you could never take a brake even during cut scenes. If you didn't press the right buttons, you die and thats the end of it, I loved that idea. Yeah you could cheat the system (which is again something that YOU can take advantage of, there not forcing you to do it) by pressing all the buttons at the same time, but you still have to get the timing right.

You might think I'm sucking on the left testicle of Capcom by saying this but that's fine, I personally loved the hell out of this game and in my opinion the faults you listed weren't faults at all to me. Yes the game ISN'T PERFECT but it's as close to it that I've seen(ands that's rare). but That's the beatuy of opinion, not everyone thinks the same as we can obviously see but I just want to relay my two cents.

Techincally this is the 6th Resident Evil. Zero, 1, 2, 3, Code Veronica, and now Resident Evil 4, but since Resident Evil Code Veronica didn't have a number it's been called 4. Theres been countless spin off's but to get the whole story you have to play (well you don't have to play zero, but it follows along with the story since it's a prequel to 1) 0,1,2,3,CV, and now 4. Theses are the only important games in the series, every thing else were spin off's or crap that only has the theme of Resident Evil but really doesn't add anything major to the story.

[quote name='Scorch']I rated the game an 8.5 out of 10 and it's worth buying a cube over.. It's definately in my favorite top 10 of all time[/quote]

Is that top 10 for all systems or just Gamecube? If it's all systems you are a harsh rater, but that's fine. I give it a higher rating and it's my 48th favorite game (yes, I have a list).

[quote name='alongx']BLASPHEMY! [/quote]
IT BURNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (someone whispers, "Cause your wicked!")
Fire3.jpg

A 10/10 does not mean pefect, no game will ever be perfect, but RE4 is about as close as it can get (on this generation).

Giving RE4 anything lower than a 10/10 would require going back and lowering every game to have ever come out.

I think one of its weakest points was how shock-ass easy the bosses were in that game. I only died once on the Chief fight (didn't know he had a second form), once when you're escaping from Salazaar's "Right-Hand" (thought you had to kill him), and twice on the 2nd Krauser fight(Stupid bullet shield). Other than that, I beat the final boss my first time with no problems at all, and the same with salazaar.
A question though, I didin't see where Leon hit on Ashley. Maybe I wasn't paiyng attention?

RE4 still kicks every other game in the shiznizzle and tells it to go cry to its mommy.

Thanks for the spoiler alert, btw. I'm only to the part where the big shaq-fuer breaks your neck if you don't hit the button in time.

Reality's Fringe]I think one of its weakest points was how shock-ass easy the bosses were in that game. I only died once on the Chief fight (didn't know he had a second form) said:
Luis hit on ashley, I never seen Leon do it. And yes, the bosses were pretty easy with exception of a few (I had issues with the village cheif and the Alien wannabe, salazars right hand manish-killing thing.), well good thing theres a Professional mode huh.

The only part that someone MIGHT consider him hitting on her (mind you, this is a huge stretch) is when he says "I knew you'd be ok if you fell on your butt." No innuendo, no flirting, just one line that has nothing to do with him hitting on her. Fringe, whoever told you he was hitting on her took a relatively innocent line way out of proportion.

In fact, Leon ultimately proves he's homosexual by turning down "overtime" with the president's daughter, who, as Luis put it, was armed with "ballistics". Although that's also obviously wrong, as he flirts with Hunnigan afterwards, even though her eyes creeped me out w/o the glasses...

[quote name='Mouse']The only part that someone MIGHT consider him hitting on her (mind you, this is a huge stretch) is when he says "I knew you'd be ok if you fell on your butt." No innuendo, no flirting, just one line that has nothing to do with him hitting on her. Fringe, whoever told you he was hitting on her took a relatively innocent line way out of proportion.

In fact, Leon ultimately proves he's homosexual by turning down "overtime" with the president's daughter, who, as Luis put it, was armed with "ballistics". Although that's also obviously wrong, as he flirts with Hunnigan afterwards, even though her eyes creeped me out w/o the glasses...[/quote]

Stay tuned for more episodes of All My Gamers..

bread's done
Back