Best way to sell GameStop store credit?

saticoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey guys-

I just traded in most of my collection to GameStop and now I have over $5000 in store credit on about 9 Edge and Giftcards. I chose to take store credit instead of the 20% less for cash, but now I'm stuck with a lot of credit that I don't plan on using for myself.

I'm hoping to sell it for 10% under face value, but I can't seem to find any buyers. I posted on craigslist in various ways (consoles for MSRP with no tax plus original receipt, $500 giftcards for $450, etc.). I was thinking about eBay, but I saw another thread where it there's some scheme where people bid over the amount that the credit is worth in order to try and con you out of it through Paypal- I'm not sure how that works, but that's what I understood from it.

So basically... yeah, I just want to get rid of it for hopefully 90 cents on the dollar. Any other ideas?

^ The thread you're talking about was touching on the subjects of fraud and money laundering....don't think thats what your in the market for.

Or another option you could possibly try and go to the trading section and sell them there. You can generally get pretty good return for GS gift cards here, but since you are a newer member, might not have many people willing to send money first. But IMO, you probably will get the best return there than anywhere else.

Exactly how much stuff did you trade in, considering Gamestop's trade in values? I think it's ridiculous to think you took 250, 500, let alone 1000 games up there and traded them in just on a whim.

i been trying to dump A FYE card tat has around 120 for months and never had any takers..(well besides people offering 50 to 60 for it BUT THERE are . Too many scamers. they will use all of your credit then say they never got anything and do a chargeback... There is really no way to prove you had credit on teh card so your mostly screwed

buy all the elite consoles you can and keep them sealed then sell them on ebay, might get a little less like 370 where u paid the 400 with store credit but itd be the quickest way to get rid of it i would think

I just finished created a listing on eBay until I realized their rules:
-Giftcards cannot exceed $500
-Multiple giftcards cannot be grouped into one listing
-Cannot have more than 1 listing for giftcards at a time

I just made a new offer to people on craigslist. Nintendo DSi on launch for $170 (I meet up and pay off the preorder with store credit, and they pay $165 cash). Hopefully that will work. I was thinking about offering that to people in regional section too (I'm in Bel Air, so anywhere in Los Angeles is good for me). I need to sell 30 DSi's to spend off my credit though.

I actually have a $37 merchandise credit that I'm pretty much stuck with for Eddie Bauer, since my now ex gf thought it would be a good idea to get me an ugly shirt for V-Day and give me a gift receipt, which only allowed them to give me store credit for the pos.

I already checked the damn store and their site and the cheapest thing is a 'survival kit' for when you go camping(which I hate) for $10. Otherwise the next best thing is plain t-shirts, which are $16.50, that I could get @ Wally World for $5 each.

I really wish people who don't truly know what I like would get me a gift card someplace I might actually USE it.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']saticoy...offer more than just $5 off...it doesn't even seem worth it for less than $10...too much hassle[/quote]

Exactly, Im a cheap ass, but a 5 dollar savings wouldn't be worth the possibility of being stabbed and raped in the gamestop parking lot.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I actually have a $37 merchandise credit that I'm pretty much stuck with for Eddie Bauer, since my now ex gf thought it would be a good idea to get me an ugly shirt for V-Day and give me a gift receipt, which only allowed them to give me store credit for the pos.

I already checked the damn store and their site and the cheapest thing is a 'survival kit' for when you go camping(which I hate) for $10. Otherwise the next best thing is plain t-shirts, which are $16.50, that I could get @ Wally World for $5 each.

I really wish people who don't truly know what I like would get me a gift card someplace I might actually USE it.[/quote] Buy the cheapest thing in the store, and they will give you cash back for the amount that's left. That worked for me when my aunt decided to buy me an ugly ass shirt from there.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Exactly, Im a cheap ass, but a 5 dollar savings wouldn't be worth the possibility of being stabbed and raped in the gamestop parking lot.[/quote]

Well I pay off the preorder which includes tax ($187). That makes it $22 less.

[quote name='kube00']Well try to sell it here, I might be interested in it[/quote]

Yeah, thats what Im saying. The trade section is a great place to sell GS gift cards and get back a good amount of your cost back

hey saticoy how much GS credit will you give me for $175.00 in cash let me know maybe ill take some

[quote name='darkslime']Buy the cheapest thing in the store, and they will give you cash back for the amount that's left. That worked for me when my aunt decided to buy me an ugly ass shirt from there.[/quote]

I figured I could do that, though knowing my luck I'll get a clerk who will say 'we have to issue you a new credit for the balance remaining' and I'll be stuck with $30 left, since I think the cheapest thing I saw was one of those big metal clips like mountain climbers use which some people use as a keychain.

[quote name='saticoy']Hey guys-

I just traded in most of my collection to GameStop and now I have over $5000 in store credit on about 9 Edge and Giftcards. I chose to take store credit instead of the 20% less for cash, but now I'm stuck with a lot of credit that I don't plan on using for myself. [/quote]
Fantastic. I wonder how many games did you sell to GameStop last week to get $5000. I traded 18 games last week during 50% on trade, and I got $600. I can't imagine what I was going to do with 5K in GS credit if I don't even play games anymore. :roll:

I was going to post about 60GB PS3s as an option, but GS price is now higher than ebay price.

Any of the specialty DS Lite bundles should still be at least break even after ebay fees.

I personally wouldn't pay more than 80% if buying store credit with cash, likely lower, unless there were something I was going to buy anyway.

[quote name='dys006']I was going to post about 60GB PS3s as an option, but GS price is now higher than ebay price.

Any of the specialty DS Lite bundles should still be at least break even after ebay fees.

I personally wouldn't pay more than 80% if buying store credit with cash, likely lower, unless there were something I was going to buy anyway.[/quote]

Ditto, however, I am willing to take those credit off your hands at a %.
I can pay you cash and I'll send you a PM also on where I can meet you.

Cot damn, wouldn't it have been better to just take a 20% hit at GS and get the cash instead? I have enough trouble tryin' to get rid of my $140+ in store credit lol.

What did you trade in exactly if you don't mind me askin'?

it would've been a lot less cash if he took the 20% hit because if you take cash then the trade-in promotions don't apply (ie. trade 6+ get 50% more)

[quote name='Brian9824']Trade in promotions apply no matter the form in which you take payment. You just lose 20% of the total.[/quote]

really?!!?? All the gamestops I've been to said that trade-in promos don't apply when taking cash.

[quote name='anch']really?!!?? All the gamestops I've been to said that trade-in promos don't apply when taking cash.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's mistaken. All bonus trade credit deals specificly say not good on Cash trade-ins or some such wording.

Looks like they aren't supposed to apply, I've had stores here offer it so its probably just stupid employee's. I never take em up on cash though, its easier to just take the credit.

LOL, you could do what this guy did, basically buy as many DSi's as you can and resell them on craigslist at a slight discount:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/tag/1111530089.html

EDIT: never mind Saticoy, that IS you!!! Good stuff, man. This is probably the best way to get cash for your credit. Though I would probably put up an additional listing saying I only have "2 left", and try to get $180 a piece for them firm, and state that you're in UCLA/Westwood instead of BelAir. Still a discount over the tax, and these things are in demand. That, and you could have bought a few Wiis and sold them at $250 firm, sealed with receipt.

And hey, I know you said $165 firm on CL, but any chance for a CAG discount, say $150 cash? I can pick up no problemo. BTW, I also wish I could have seen that $5K worth of games you traded in, I would have surely given you cash for at least a few things, more than GS gave...

[quote name='saticoy']I just finished created a listing on eBay until I realized their rules:
-Giftcards cannot exceed $500
-Multiple giftcards cannot be grouped into one listing
-Cannot have more than 1 listing for giftcards at a time

I just made a new offer to people on craigslist. Nintendo DSi on launch for $170 (I meet up and pay off the preorder with store credit, and they pay $165 cash). Hopefully that will work. I was thinking about offering that to people in regional section too (I'm in Bel Air, so anywhere in Los Angeles is good for me). I need to sell 30 DSi's to spend off my credit though.[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Yeah... I'm with Karkyco. $ 150 cash for that DSi? I can drive to Westwood area during lunch tomorrow. :)

You can also list your TIV given at the GS trade-in thread to help update that thread.

What did he trade in to get $5000? If gamestop only takes in this generation games now (besides ps2 and gamecube), what could he have possibly traded to get that much credit (unless he had multiples of certain items)?
That DSi was a good idea, but I would've varied it up and get other in demand items.

[quote name='gi60']Karkyco,

I saw the same ads in OC CL...

All new with receipts to GameStop. Only $165 each, firm. All lower offers will be ignored. Can meet around Huntington Beach, Los Alamitos, and Anaheim.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tag/1113807558.html[/quote]

That's me also. I go to Disneyland on average once a week and have family down there, so I figured I'd try my luck.

Hey Saticoy, sorry I saw your PM too late. If you have any left and can possibly meet up tomorrow, please let me know. I'd much prefer west LA to the Valley though...

I can't believe that any Gamestop would actually accept $5000 worth of used games.

It would be interesting to have a list, but it looks like this will just go down in internet "history".

Does your area tax trade credit? I know is TX we don't. Best option may be to buy several copies of hot games at launch then sell them immediately at 90%-95% cost online. If there is no tax on trade credit there this could be a slower but better way to get a cash value closer to your trade value (minus online sell fees). This works especially well with collectors editions and Skylander figures which can sometimes be resold at greater than 100% purchase price. I'm about to be in the same boat. My uncle died and left behind loads of electronics which I'm trading for credit at GS.

[quote name='GamerTears']Does your area tax trade credit? I know is TX we don't. Best option may be to buy several copies of hot games at launch then sell them immediately at 90%-95% cost online. If there is no tax on trade credit there this could be a slower but better way to get a cash value closer to your trade value (minus online sell fees). This works especially well with collectors editions and Skylander figures which can sometimes be resold at greater than 100% purchase price. I'm about to be in the same boat. My uncle died and left behind loads of electronics which I'm trading for credit at GS.[/QUOTE]

Dude this was from 2009!! But to actually stay on topic, if they got $5000 from Cheapstop imagine what they couldve got on Ebay!! Why you wanna rip yourself off? Cheapstop credit has to be use at Cheapstop, Ebay money can be used anywhere and you get way more!

This thread has already been bumped, so I don't feel too bad re-bumping it. The OP is a dumb ass. That is all, thank you. :3

bread's done
Back