Classic/Retro games in Western PA/Pittsburgh area?

Nomar1245

CAGiversary!
Hey CAG's

I recently picked up an NES, a SNES, and a Sega Genesis and am trying to find some games. I've looked at the stores in this thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200428

but I haven't yet found any old school gaming stores.

I've been looking around for about a month and have only been able to find 3 stores that carry this kind of stuff: The Exchange, north of pittsburgh, The Exchange, on the south side in Pittsburgh, and a second store on the south side that closed before I could get there.

If anyone has an idea's I'd really appreciate it. The Exchange has a solid collection, but is missing somethings I'd like. Some big games like Donkey Kong Country for SNES, and then smaller ones that are just simple games from my childhood.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

I'm not native to Pittsburgh, but I was just there last week. There are lots more Exchanges than the ones you mention, and they all have a different selection. This website has the locations, though it's impossible to find it with Google:

http://theexchangebst.com/stores.html

The website hasn't been updated recently, but I went to almost all of those locations in Pittsburgh, and they're still open.

The only thing about The Exchanges is that...how to put this best...they're somewhat a product of their time? When I was in Pittsburgh it was during the middle period of the PS2/XBox/GC cycle. As such, when a new game was about to come out, people would rush the store and trade in their PS1/Saturn stuff, if not their SNES/Genesis material for quick cash.

As such, it was always fairly reasonable to find uncommon and rare games from the SNES onwards, sometimes so for NES. But, as time progressed, it became more and more difficult since, well, everyone in the area already offered up their old stuff. Granted, there were more worthwhile (and inexpensive) PS1/Saturn stuff then but...not so much on the SNES/Genesis.

Still, the best thing about The Exchanges happened to be the price. In most cases you could get top-notch, rare games for a reasonable amount of money (read: far less than eBay or otherwise online). Keep checking them often and go when other people won't be there. Before school lets out, during weeknights, that sort of thing.

As far as other stores are concerned you could try Goodwill locations and some pawn shops but, really, the Exchange tended to have the better lot of games.

Thanks for the replies. I can definitly agree with what youre saying Kapwani. I have been lucky lately though. The one exchange right by my house has a "bargain bin" and they refill it once a week or so with Sega, SNES, and NES games and they're only a dollar so I have been able to get quite a few games for very little.

Thanks to you to nuttyturnip. I've been looking for that site for a long time. It's going to be very useful because I dont live more than a 30 minutes drive to any of those stores.

Plus I get to use my GPS ;)

Yea, the Exchange is probably the best place to go in the 'Burgh. Unfortunately it is really one of the only places to go. I do believe there is still a CD Warehouse right on Forbes Ave in Oakland (right across from the Gamestop). They used to have some older games in the back of the store, but I haven't been there in a while so I'm not sure what they still have. When I was at Pitt there used to be a bunch of little indie stores on campus and in North/South Oakland that traded games but most have closed down now.

nuttyturnip, thanks also for posting that site. I did some digging on there and it does link to an "official" website with all the locations. Here is the link:

http://www.myexchangefranchise.com/storelocator.htm

That is better to use as the addresses on the original site looked a bit out of whack (i.e. Forbes Road instead of Ave. and Smithfield Rd instead of Street).

As for other places, the goodwill's around here are pretty hit or miss so I'd stick to the Exchange locations. Other than that I really do not know of any other pawn shops in or around the city to score games at. Does anyone hit any on a regular basis?

A question for everyone, does anyone know how the Exchange prices items and determines Trade in values on things? I swear when I was trading some games a while back the guy was looking up the values on ebay, which is why it usually takes a while to trade stuff in there.

Old thread I know but has anyone found any new stores? The only ones I've come across is the Exchange in Dormont and the Cash-in Culture in Century 3 Mall. Their has to be more?

Just want to update this thread (revive it from the dead?)

Cash In Culture at Century III Mall is closed. The mall is practically empty, and I believe is closing soon. They have locations in Greensburg and at the Monroeville Mall. The trade in value for things leaves quite a bit to be desired, but staff is nice and the have some good stuff for reasonable prices (mostly). I like that they have Super Famicom games.

If you are in Greensburg, Warp Zone is worth a visit. Dood that runs it is very nice, and they have a lot of items with the stock changing often.

Atlas Game Exchange (not affiliated with The Exchange) is in Bloomfield (eastern side of the city). Reasonable prices, trade in values are decent, not a bad place.

Retrograde Collectibles is a relatively new store in Castle Shannon. I haven't been there, but plan on going soon and will update this when I get more information.

The Game Masters Realm is in Aliquippa. The have a large inventory and trade in prices are solid. Fairly large used game store, also have a selection of table top games. Guy that runs it is goofy and nice. If you are up that way, check out the PA Coin Op Arcade and Museum (300 Pinball Tables!) it is in the same plaza. Sean is super nice there and all the machines work great!

Yes, there are quite a few Exchange stores in the area. Squirrel Hill location and Monroeville location have the best retro game variety in my opinion.

And finally, the Pittsburgh Retro Game convention is in April this year. Totally worth the trip, (2 days this year, tickets went up in price but still worth the time) and you can find people that have stores from Central PA and other parts of the tri state area with tables set up. Check out the facebook page for more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back