Looking for a deal on a mini notebook...

dbzzx

CAGiversary!
The cheapest I ever seem to find is about 300 USD which is a bit much for whats inside them, anyone see one for 100-200 at the most? Just need it for browsing the web really. :drool:

Dell has had the Mini 9 on sale for $199 a couple of time this year already. I haven't seen anyone else's under about $250.

Acer also rolled out some cheap mini you can check them also
7.gif

Checked out the acers, cheapest was around 270....ehhh why wont these things go down...You know for poor bored college students :p lol

Those dells are at 250 right now sadly...

tigerdirect has the windows xp 120gb 1gb ram acer aspire one for $241.96 shipped

Its a pretty good deal on a nice netbook

Heh, this maybe somewhat interesting, but I heard that HP is partnering up with a cellular company so that they could sell the HP minis for around $100 (or even one for free), but you need to sign up for a mobile internet package with either Verizon or AT&T for around $30-$40 a month for 2 years. IF you want, you could wait and see until something like this comes out in our market, and buy a netbook with a deal like that, and have it be able to access the internet anywhere (for a price, of course).

Here's an article that talks about how you could get a Netbook for arond $29USD in Taiwan, granted you picked it up with a data plan from on the wireless companies there.

Edit: One more thing, it may be advisable to actually hit up some retailer's refurb or return selections for netbooks. I've heard stories from friends of mine working in BB that a lot of people would purchase a cheap netbook with linux, and returning it next day because "it didn't have Windows/It doesn't work right". YMMV on this one in brick and mortar locations, but hit up the outlet sections of BB online, or even HP, Asus, or even Dell for bargains on barely used netbooks.

Here's a link for the Dell refurbs

[quote name='rumarudrathas']Heh, this maybe somewhat interesting, but I heard that HP is partnering up with a cellular company so that they could sell the HP minis for around $100 (or even one for free), but you need to sign up for a mobile internet package with either Verizon or AT&T for around $30-$40 a month for 2 years. IF you want, you could wait and see until something like this comes out in our market, and buy a netbook with a deal like that, and have it be able to access the internet anywhere (for a price, of course).

Here's an article that talks about how you could get a Netbook for arond $29USD in Taiwan, granted you picked it up with a data plan from on the wireless companies there.

Edit: One more thing, it may be advisable to actually hit up some retailer's refurb or return selections for netbooks. I've heard stories from friends of mine working in BB that a lot of people would purchase a cheap netbook with linux, and returning it next day because "it didn't have Windows/It doesn't work right". YMMV on this one in brick and mortar locations, but hit up the outlet sections of BB online, or even HP, Asus, or even Dell for bargains on barely used netbooks.

Here's a link for the Dell refurbs[/quote]

Worst deal ever

a 99 dollar netbook ends up costing you 40x24=960 for two years plus the 99 dollers plus activation fee your look at 1200ish for 2 years

[quote name='s2k']Worst deal ever

a 99 dollar netbook ends up costing you 40x24=960 for two years plus the 99 dollers plus activation fee your look at 1200ish for 2 years[/quote]

Gosh, so that's how those dastardly corporate overlords makes a lot of money from us. CALL THE PENTAGON!!!

No offense, just had to do it. I did say that this is somewhat interesting, and not a deal itself. You are pretty dead on there s2k, and paying $1200 after two years really sounds like a lot.

Though, the reasoning for such a plan may be intuitive for someone who 1.) needs a netbook and 2.) really needs to have that netbook be able to access the internet anywhere. Hell, since you have a built in mic as a standard feature on Netbooks, I could see HP manufacturing netbooks with custom cellphone emulation software or something... In any case, if the OP doesn't mind having the monthly bill associated with buying the new netbook, a schema like this may actually be somewhat sought after.

To further this tangent, I wonder if this will really propogate the usage of netbooks, especially when, over time, more and more consumers are being acclamated to the technology, and it's becoming viewed less of a niche product.

bread's done
Back